IMDb > The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Literally a wonderful gaming experience

Author: llhall2 from USA-South
17 April 2006

My husband got Elder Scrolls: Oblivion because he was a big fan of Morrowind. I myself, not so big a fan, but only because I never really got into the game. He carefully researched and got a new video card recommended by the game requirements, an Invidia 7800GS. I wouldn't play this game unless you had a video card & processor capable of handling it. Otherwise it's move the cursor, wait a minute, move the cursor, etc.

Now that being said, it is positively one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. I never really got into Morrowind or any of the other elder scrolls games. I recognized that they were fantastic games, but I never really enjoyed them. I have taken the computer away from my husband. From the minutiae of detail you can infuse into your character, to the AI response to your actions, the scope of the landscape.. the weather changes, the leaves moving.. the deer prancing in the distance that you can actually hunt.. It's amazing.

I've only done one or two of the quests.. and just started roaming into one of the many little dungeons. I thought it would just be bandits, but got farther down and started finding secret caverns.. light play is amazing. I stumbled into an underground chamber and was amazed by the lighting and the details.. until the bones started walking towards me. It was eerily creepy and wonderfully immersive.

I definitely would recommend this game for the PC for the module creations as well. I look forward to getting player made modules off the internet and seeing what other people are enjoying about this game.

Wow!!! This is everything I wished for and more!!!

Author: dylankielman from United States
21 March 2006

I just got my copy of Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and what can I say besides This is Possibly THE GREATEST GAME EVER!!!! Even more than Halo 2, Final Fantasy VII, and Metroid!

I'll start off by saying that Cyrodill(the gaming world) Is FREAKING HUGE! It makes GTA San Andreas look like the size of a sandbox, plus it's a living breathing world every NPC acts like a real human being(i.e beginning random conversations,hunting,etc) the AI is wonderful!

The graphics, Oh My the graphics in this game are unbelievable, Trees sway in the breeze of the wind, Forest are lush and dense, Every single spec of detail can be seen on the armour and weapons, and characters show realistic emotions. Possibly the best looking game EVER!!!

In all this is Quite possibly the most deep, fun, and amazing game I have ever played!!! I think every RPG that comes out in the future will have to somehow do better than Oblivion, something that I think will be highly unlikely!!!

Buy an Xbox 360 and play this game NOW!!!

Overall 10/10

One of the Greats

Author: SuperSanity from United States
21 March 2006

Just got the game today. Day of release (it's the first game I've EVER pre-ordered). I have one simple word to describe it: Breathtaking.

The graphics are astounding, the A.I. is brilliant, the voice talent ranks up with the KOTOR games.

The combat system has been tweaked so it is not the same boring system as the last game (one of the few flaws of it).

The glint of light off of metal and the swaying of the trees all add to the realism of the game.

This game is a must have for ANY RPG fans.

Best RPG ever made...

Author: Ryan from United States
8 June 2006

This game is the reason gamers like me don't get much sleep. It's basically your everyday fantasy RPG (Role Playing Game) set in a world full of demons, monsters, knights, bandits, goblins, and more. That's where the similarity ends. The game is based in a mythical world that's just plain massive. It's basically a country with several cities and towns. The mapping is spectacular, with no two areas alike (swamps, mountains, gaping forests, snow covered lands, lakes, rivers), the towns have unique architecture, and not to mention the developers show how the 360's graphics engine can make for some very realistic water effects. Everything in this game is superb, right down to the sound (not to mention Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart lend their voices). It wasn't enough to knock it down a point, but I did find the character creation a bit of a challenge, along with some of the people in the game, too many of them look old and worn out. Other than that, this game hit every mark in my book... it allows for complete control of your character, you can be a mage (magic) or a warrior, or both. You can actually choose your path. Follow the main quest first and beat the main story line, or follow some side quests and get your character to a more respectable level (which I recommend)? I truly believe out of any non-MMORPG out there this has one of the biggest replay value factors ever, not to mention hours upon hours of gameplay and entertainment (some quests require you to travel great distances to complete). The gameplay is fantastic, the selection of tools, weapons, and other items is magnificent, and the graphics are, for lack of a better word, gorgeous. This game, so far, is the only RPG that comes very close to real life. I think the only thing that makes it different from real life is that the real world has no reset button. This is a must have, must play, must get addicted game. Like great literature, this you cannot put down until it's done!

The best RPG game ever made

Author: Stefan from the past
10 July 2007

Bring your sword, bring your armor and bring your shield. For you're about to experience one of the biggest and magical journeys a game ever can offer...

I've recently completed this game during my spare time after school and further "studying", and I must say; this is clearly a game that will rest in my memory for ages.

As many other RPG games this game offers a big variety of classes and races. Though, Oblivion also offers a very special and significant feature which greatly affects on the individual's liking; which is the customization of your character's face. Combined with great environments which will, in many cases, make you gasp in astonishment. There is also a huge variety of dialogues throughout the game and a lot of different characters. Combining these makes this game absolutely fabulous for its genre (compared to many other RPGs where you usually just have to READ the things every character has to say)! Although there are many characters there is a very small staff of voices which will mostly lead you to hear the same person talk frequently. But if you're a real fan of RPG, and easily fall for the magic and beauty of fantasy games like these the voices won't really matter that much as you're experiencing the characters themselves.

The game also contain a great graphic and physic engine. Where you in most cases, in the beginning of the game, will experiment a lot with the feature the game has to offer. Such as shooting arrows on hanging obstacles and watch them drag from the weight of the arrow, etc.

Summing all of this up: It's a game worth buying. It won the award for the "best RPG game of the year" and still has its price earned even today. The storyline is fantastic, the quests and the dialogues are intriguing, the graphics are stunning, the environments are magnificent and the variety in almost everything in this game is utterly powerful! If you've enjoyed playing RPG games before and haven't heard about "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" then you're missing out a lot.

Ten stars. This game is a pure piece of art!

Incredible

Author: trygbjornn from United States
6 June 2006

While Morrowind was indeed an incredible game, Oblivion clearly cleans up much of the crap from the previous title. For one, the combat system is incredible (I found myself playing Morrowind for the story, not the action; here I'm playing it almost more for the action). Two, the fact that everyone actually talks to you makes the game more of a game, rather than a book with controls. Three, the physics system ensures quite a lot of mischievous fun.

Sure, there are drawbacks, but I think what people might be whining about when they say Morrowind was better is that Oblivion might perhaps be too familiar. In Oblivion, there are oak trees and deer and bears and pretty common looking flowers and weather patterns. In Morrowind it was all so exotic and foreign, with the towering mushrooms and strange cities and everyone calling you "muthsera" and the strange creatures no one's ever seen before. Morrowind was more original. Oblivion's just plain good.

Sure, the main quest might be a little shorter, but I can say that I'm definitely tempted to play this game all over again just to play around and get all the stuff I didn't before. Morrowind was a little too empty feeling. Oblivion is a more living world, with wind in the trees, creatures fighting one another ...

But while many may complain about lack of content, look what happened with Morrowind! The original game was long as it was, but two different expansions were released for it! Who knows how much extra material, extra armour, extra adventures, extra lands will be added to the Oblivion experience before the next Elder Scrolls is released (assuming it is, which I certainly hope is so). 10/10, so I say.

An Absolute Masterpiece. More than a game: A Revolution.

Author: vincent-175
4 April 2006

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. What is Oblivion? I tell you now, Oblivion is more than a just a video game. It is a Revolution of gaming as we know it. Fun, open-ended game-play like none ever before experienced. A grand, deep plot, more expansive and in-depth than Lord of the Rings. A masterful voice cast, featuring wonderful, famous talents. Miraculous graphics- trees that look real and grow just as normal trees do with accurate geology, corpses and other objects that roll down hills and move with real-world physics as you grab them. A wonderful character creation system, allowing you do customize your character from the tone of his skin to the point of his nose to the puffs of his lips to the length of his hair. Fabulous creatures, from the wolf, to the horse, to the Minotaur, to the Daedra, all of them giving the feeling which they are intended. Grand cities, with stores, houses, churches, hotels... everything a real city would have. Revolutionary Radiant AI allowing all of the 2,000 NPC characters to think on their feet, and complete their own goals. Dozens of thousands of quests to complete: So many that the side-quests of side-quests have side-quests! This is a game like never before. A game which sets a new standard for all gaming, and truly gains dominion over all games previously released. I'd like to welcome all who desire to buy this game to the wonderful world of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the greatest video game of all time.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Review

Author: Ekul829 from United States
26 July 2006

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, truly, an amazing and beautiful game. No, game, this isn't a game, this is digital art. Few games, *ahem*, digital pieces of art have total thrown me into an entire world of myth, and realism. The people have actual lives, the world evolves, and you grow and live in a different place. The computers, wait, the artificial beings are so smart its scary, like when the Ferbes came out. The people talk to you and each other, and have 100's of hours of spoken dialog. The each have names and personalities and respond differently to all situations. Same with the vast wildlife, like deer, wolfs, and big-ass spider people. The world is so huge, you'd get even more lost just going to the nearest Fighters Guild than walking to the Governor of Rhode Islands dentist office. The total obsession of the digital work of artistic master piece does come at a price. Though loading isn't killing long, its not very fast. The pop up does suffer at times as well. Other issues like jumping could have been tweaked but nothing serious. Overall the realistic values of this is beyond belief, from books, to the ingredients of a meal, potion making and all the quests truly support a gigantic step for all of digital artwork, um... kind. *9.5 out of 10*

Possibly The King Of Games

Author: krlmilne from Ireland
13 April 2007

When I first heard of the game oblivion I thought it was another one of these RPGs that gave itself more credit than what it was worth, a cheap copy of morrowind (which I never found exactly "fun" before) but when I heard it was exclusively for xbox 360 and PC, the two most graphically enhanced consoles up to now, I got myself a copy and I didn't regret it. The PS3 version is equally good but you'd think in a years time there would be something extra aside from a free download implanted in the disc. Overall you'll prefer the 360 version. The graphics are by far the top of the xbox class and gameplay and lifespan are in a way dangerously addicting. WARNING-you may loose your social life at the first minute of gameplaying. The flaws and bugs sometimes occur such as encountering invisible animals and in-game freezing, which are annoying and taunting, you may also encounter some quest flaws such as journal pop ups that are suppose to happen in order for you to progress further in a mission. The voice acting is something to be admired, and from time to time you will feel cyrodill to be a real place in its amazing landscape. The main quest is dramatic and epic but lasts no longer from 2 to 4 hours but there are many faction and city quests to go through until you can officially say I bet the game. Through the experience of playing oblivion you will realize there are two types of video games; typical games that have movie spin-offs and sports franchises... And games that drag you into its amazing story and graphics such as halo 2 and oblivion. If you overlook some minor bugs that you'll more than likely run into you'll never be able to walk outside your front door again because you'll be too busy sitting on your ass playing and drooling at the amazing features and experiences oblivion has to offer. 10/10 all the way!!!

Consider the Construction Set

Author: mathewman48 from Norway
3 April 2006

I can only but agree with what have been said by others; This is one of the greatest games ever conceived, truly!

However if you are wondering weather to buy Oblivion for PC or Xbox 360, i would recommend you buying for PC. Although you might not get the exact same graphical performance, the Construction Set that follows the PC version is reason enough in itself.

For those who don't know: The Elder Scrolls Construction Set is a program that holds resources that lets you create, tweak and mod all, and that means *all*, aspects within the game. This opens up a whole new aspect of gameplay. Files produced by people who use this set is uploaded to the internet and usually free to download, for PC. As far as i know, this is not an alternative for Xbox 360. Consider this when debating on what platform to buy for. Take into account all the new aspects of gameplay it opens up.

But bottom line is, anyway: *But this game!*

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]