IMDb > "The New Adventures of Old Christine" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The New Adventures of Old Christine"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Great potential

Author: on_the_can from Canada
9 May 2006

Couldn't help but notice that nobody's commented on this show yet so I thought I would. As far as I know it's doing pretty well in the ratings so far and I'm glad to hear it. I think Julia Louis Dreyfus may finally have a shot at stomping out the Seinfeld curse.

I'll start by saying the premise won't blow anyone off their ass. Christine (Dreyfus) has been divorced for a little while but she has a good relationship with her ex and together they juggle the responsibilities of their son together, focusing obviously more on Christine who the kid lives with. Christine has a brother that lives in the guest house who serves as a nanny (or as he prefers, manny) and her ex has a new girlfriend named Christine, or new Christine, hence the title. The premise struck a resemblance to Reba pretty quickly, but the characters, particularly Julia herself more than make up for the familiar premise. She's got enough of Elaine injected into her personality to satisfy Seinfeld fans like myself but changed enough to carry on a new show. She can be ditsy and over the top like Elaine but she's always concerned in the end about doing the right thing, even if it doesn't always turn out that way. The characters are good too and play off each other pretty well, but I won't get into breaking them down too heavily.

A big plus for the show so far is it hasn't gotten sappy at all. It's a little early to make that comment but I will anyway, so far so good. I hate when sitcoms have those heartfelt moments, they should save that crap for full house reruns. I thought I might be in for some of that stuff given that it's about a divorced mom, but it pokes fun at pretty much every potentially sappy moment, and in the end that's what makes it worth while. It's definitely not Seinfeld but as long as people give it a chance to develop I think it could have a pretty long shelf life.

The Seinfeld Curse is Broken

Author: phillipsa9 from United States
17 December 2006

The New Adventures of Old Christine may have too long of a title and may have the format of a stereotypical sitcom but it is pure genius. This show is one of very few in recent history that has made me laugh out loud. Christine is pathetic, but not in a Ross Gellar sort of way, she is as pathetic as all of us feel at times, she really just can't catch a break. What makes this show so great is that it is all very down to earth and you can honestly relate to the characters. There have been so many recent shows that have tried to get by on gimmicks and showmanship and ignored the idea of comedy. Most of the Characters aren't any funnier than regualr people, in the New Advetures of Old Christine it is the Situation that is the comedy, isn't that what a sitcom should be? If you aren't watching, you should be.

Finally, Something Worth Watching!

Author: tina-278 from United States
23 May 2006

This is the only other show, besides Two and a Half Men, that I bother watching anymore. The writing is fresh and hilarious, the cast is solid and likable, and the acting is superb. I haven't laughed this consistently or this hard at a sitcom for years! Even though the situations Christine faces are over the top, I can easily relate to her. Her comment about the "hair arrow" nearly made me hyperventilate! (I'm still chuckling!) I adore all of the characters, particularly Matthew. He's cute, goofy, and charming. Keep up the good work! I only hope that the network doesn't change the time slot. Mondays from 9-10PM EST is the new (and only) "must see TV."

Very Underrated

Author: jpugly13 from United States
19 March 2008

This show is so good and the fact that most people will never know that really brings me down. The thing about this show is that you must watch several shows to get the jokes. Most of the jokes are relative to past shows and really are only funny when you know the characters. I look forward to watching this show any time i can. I have taken the time to tell people about the show and anyone who has taken the advice to watch four shows has turned into a huge fan. I just ask that before this show is pulled off the air that some of us ban together and really give this show a shot.

If that does not get you then maybe just try watching it again. I believe that show has realized that the idea of really good smart comedy is overlooked. So they have put a lot more just in your face comedy. Some of the moments in this show are so funny that have laughed until i hurt.

Go out and try something new.

Histerically funny show!

Author: gwynevere38 from United States
11 June 2007

I totally disagree with the person who said the show is not funny, and they don't like Julia in it. I have completely the opposite opinion. My husband and I laugh so hard every time we watch the show! And something has to be pretty hysterical before I'll laugh out loud. Julia is THE best comedy actress there is as far as I'm concerned. She's a complete natural. Much like Lucille Ball. How anyone cannot see the humor in this show is beyond me! I laugh far more during that half hour segment than I might laugh during an entire comedy movie. I think all of the characters are excellent and the whole show is enough to make you "split a gut". Personally, I'm happy to see Julia in a new comedy. She has the uncanny ability to make me laugh. Wanda Sykes is a huge asset to the show as well. Her dry humor really adds to the balance of the cast.

Different Opinion - Love It!

Author: big_ojos27 from United States
12 February 2008

I have to say this is my favorite show. I don't like a lot of TV shows out there - the writing of most shows is awkward and contrived. However, I tune in every week for this show and ONLY this show. Julia's character is a riot, and I think Julia is perfect in this role. Even my husband watches this show with me, and if he laughs out loud, then I think it's pretty darn good. Christine's day to day complexes, obsessions, and awkward interactions make me smile and laugh because they're so similar to what I, as a woman, often feel. Of course, the show magnifies these complexes, but that's what makes it so ridiculous and funny. Definitely worth your time.

Julia is great in this show!

Author: buddyrichfield
29 January 2007

I think this show is great. It has the comic feel of old shows that developed likable characters instead of six people with much the same personality or a show based on one-liners. The people on this show seem like real people, instead of overblown cardboard cut-outs that are just playing verbal volleyball. I may be in the minority, but I like shows where you can relate to, rather than people with such extreme personalities that that they don't seem real. I've laughed out loud at this show, and it's been a while since a recent show did that for me. I hope it sticks around. Julia is talented, has great comic timing, and comes across as a likable person that you like spending a half hour with each week.

This is the funniest show I've seen in years!

Author: avigon from Maryland
28 November 2006

This is one of the funniest shows I have seen in a long time. It's been years since a show has consistently been able to make me laugh out loud. My husband and I have two totally different comedic tastes and both of us crack up when we watch this show. Finally something we can watch together!

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is hysterical as Old Christine. Her facial expressions are just the icing on the cake.

Wanda Sykes' dryhumor is the perfect match for Dreyfus. And don't get me started on Hamish Linklater as Old Christine's brother Matthew!

This is one show we set the DVR for so we can watch and laugh in peace when the kids are in bed. I hope that "Christine" is on for years to come.

Great show! Julia Shines as Christine!!

Author: Laura Berko
6 January 2011

This was one of the BEST comedies on TV. Julia Louise Dreyfus is adorable and incredibly funny as Christine, and amazing at what she does(comedy). I think played the character great. The show made me laugh out loud every episode, had a lovable cast, and was just good. How can they cancel it after 5 seasons, especially without a real finale (does anyone remember how they did that with Las Vegas). It's upsetting to viewers to get attacthed to a show and characters for sex years then it end all of the sudden like that. This show was way better than a lot of the stuff they have on now that isn't really funny at all and all try too hard to be funny.I am really, really disappointed with the Network and I hope they bring it back, I love watching Julie Louise-Dreyfus act, she's fantastic!! (the rest of the cast was good too, they all worked very well together, but without Julia it wouldn't have been half as good.)They need to bring this back! I honestly didn't even know about this show until now, so I guess the marketing was bad, but I just spent a couple weeks catching up on all seasons and am now really sad to learn it's cancelled.

Funny and clever but tends to get repetitive.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
26 July 2009

Now, this is one of the best and most original sitcoms on t.v. It should be enjoyed by a more mature audience and why not? young adults could take a bite of it.

Julia Louise Dreyfuss is extremely funny, smart, and why not'! sexy! in this show. She carries the humor on her back and equilibrates it with her dramatic abilities.

The situations are always funny but I think that Christine's obsession that deals with getting steady with a man is getting repetitive.

Anyways, this is one of the most witty and well written sitcoms in recent years. Give it a chance and shake off the Elaine Benes vibe. Old Christine delivers more than expected.