IMDb > Don (2006/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Simply Brilliant - and i loved the original '78 Don as well

Author: Apurv Nagpal from India
20 October 2006

Don (2006) is a thrill a minute, edge of the seat, don't blink or you'll miss something, superbly stylised action movie. It's a sort of Don(1978) meets James Bond (the Pierce Brosnan era, with all its hi-tech gadgetry etc). It is unbelievably slick and amazingly cool. Its got the finish of a top-end magazine like Vogue or GQ…glossy, beautiful, a work of art. And the action scenes are breathless, non-stop and come at you one after another.

I had severe reservations about Mr Khan as Don. Especially as there are few bigger Mr Bachchan fans than me – I idolise the man. However, I've come from the movie convinced that no one else in the current set of stars could've carried it off as well as Shahrukh. He looks and behaves like Don – completely different to the chocolate faced 'Main Hoon Na' and 'Kal Ho Na Ho' giggling lover boy we are used to. In this movie he has a steely look about him, a nastiness that is very believable. He is slightly over the top, but only to the degree you would want him to be.

Priyanka Chopra simply sizzles. When I look at her on screen now I'm ready to do all the things Jim Carrey does in the 'Mask' when he see's Cameron Diaz dance at the club ! The great thing, I remember, about watching Don (1978) as a 7 year old, was that when you came out of the movie (and for the next few days)…you felt you were Don ! You wanted to be like him, copy all mannerisms, you were mesmerised, felt the sense of power. I saw the same impact of this Don (2006) on my son (coincidentally also 7 years old). But even better, it still had the same impact on me ! Just love it ! Check out my full review at apurvbollywood at blogspot

A pleasant surprise...Job Well Done...

Author: Subramanyam S from Bangalore, India
21 October 2006

First things first,let me tell u that I did not like the Original DON(1978) that much.It was good in parts but it was only the Aura of AB with the music that actually pulled it off.

If the same story had been reused,the movie would have ended up being a disaster.

But,I guess Farhan Akthar does a great job in this movie.Yes,the beginning is a bit slow but he more than makes up for it by the time the movie ends.Shah Rukh is incredible as DON and the others do their job well.The music is good(A special mention to the Background track...its incredible..).And watch out for the climax...

Pros:

1)Great acting by Shah Rukh

2)Amazing cinematography (Everything looks classy and stylish..just notice the way Shah Rukh wears his tie!)

3)A nice racy background score

Cons:

1)Beginning does feel as a bit of a crawl..

2)Jasjit's (Arjun Rampal) role wasn't required if u ask me..

Overall,a great entertainer and worth the wait..!

Don reincarnated!

Author: Praveen Yadav from India
20 October 2006

The movie was stunning. You have to give full credits to Farhan Akhtar. His way of presenting the previously said story is completely unmatchable. At times, the movie was way over the top of exaggeration but in the end everything falls in place. The movie was fast tracked at many places and many sequences were skipped that were present in the previous version. Some plots were twisted to bring in the modern day touch and nothing seemed unnecessary. The sequences were copied very much to the exactness of the situation and it was a good effort to bring back the charisma that a personality like Don should have. One more special thing about this movie is its climax, which was not at all stereotype. One would not expect such a thing in bollywood movies and yet it was brilliantly done. I would say DON was an overall entertainer and is definitely worth a watch.

Excellent movie to watch

Author: Rahul SB from India
20 October 2006

Do not miss the start and do not miss the ending.

This movie has been shot very well, with the locations and cinematography at its best. The start of the movie goes a bit slow and then picks up pace.

I think Shahrukh has not over acted this time. The cast has been chosen perfectly to do their job.

This movie is a bit different from the original Amitabh Bachchan's DON, so comparing both the new and old movie is out of the question. Each one of them is good in its own league. For the people who have seen the original DON, at first, you start to think that it might not be so good, and justice has not been made to the original. As the movie goes on, you start to change your mind.

As for me, the overall the movie was really good and worth every bit of money paid to watch the movie.

If SRK wanted a shot at 007, well he did a great job with DON

Author: jenaegarey from United States
20 October 2006

I sat spell bound this afternoon in a theater. It was great. In my opinion a 10 for my expectations. For the first time I never wondered where the fast forward button was on the movie. My opinion of the Kareena Kapoor changed completely. You have to see it to believe it. She is sexy! It's a 3 hour film. But it holds ones attention very well. SRK is a great villain as usual. Although they hint several times in the movie what the out come will be, until you reach the end it's not fully disclosed. There's one scene that is similar to a James Bond scene. The only thing is that the bad guy isn't Jaws and he doesn't land on a circus tent. It really is fun to watch on the big screen. Don't miss it. - And for those who have seen the first DON, SRK and Big B are different artists. They do things differently.

Great Slick James Bond Type Entertainment

Author: onefreequestion from California
3 November 2006

Don was great James Bond type entertainment. It had action, music, babes, great photography, good music and a surprise ending. What more do you want? It also bought some old memories back. I was amazed at the quality of production like special effects, camera angles, shooting locales, car chase, sky diving etc. SRK tries his best to fit the larger than life role of Don and does a good job. The women are just fillers. SRK is the movie.

For all the people out there who posted negative feedback and criticized the movie....Did you guys expect this to be an art movie? Have you seen how stupid the original Don is? Compared to the original this is a great improvement.

I think there is going to be a Don 2 coming soon.

Support this movie.

Author: way_heaven_skerboi_extre from Australia
24 October 2006

Truly speaking after the performance of Srk in Kank, i thought that he would lost his possession.I am not a great fan of him but i do respect him. After watching Don, i believe that he is a true class actor. I never believed that bollywood can make a movie like Hollywood. But Don erased my doubts. This is the movie that we should accept and appreciate. According to me, this is the only bollywood movie till date that has shown bollywood has a capacity of making movie like Hollywood. Wat a scene, background, sleek, action, picturisation, and most of all the brilliance performance of Sharuk brings lump in viewers throat. The most awesome part of the movie is the climax. No one thought that climax would make in such a way and we believe that this is perfect ending. For more u have to watch urslef.

Sharukh never looked like a bollywood actor in this movie. He looked more like western guy. His facial expression is perfect. PPL this is the movie that u should encourage if we want our movie to be recognize globally.

visually pleasing glossy good entertainer!!!

Author: natasha_00792000 from India
20 October 2006

You want a hunky shahrukh khan, a va va voom Priyanka who seems to have worked out like hell to get that figure; an angel faced Isha Koppikar, FANTASTIC shots of Malaysia and i say FANTASTIC, a wonderfully underplayed intense performance by a mesmerizingly handsome Arjun Rampal slick action sequences and an as usual highly entertaining and effective performance by Boman Irani ......go see Don.

Oh and the song picturisations are very good too...especially title track and Khaike Paan Banaraswala....

Bear in mind this is an action packed remake of a thriller and also made purely to entertain...so don't go nitpicking small details like people did in the case of Fanaah....sit back sip on your coke, chomp on your popcorn and enjoy!

No one reveal the ending please.....let the others enjoy as i did the twist in the end!!!

don...don..

Author: Aak from United Kingdom
20 October 2006

i haven't seen the actual big B's don , but i watched the don in Tamil as 'Billa' with Rajinikanth in the lead. now i have seen this Don.

Farhan Akhtar, a young director in Indian cinema, did only couple of movies before,but i really wondered the way he made the film with very good technical aspects and with style. the camera work is excellent, i felt like watching a Hollywood movie. i think writer changed the story little bit in the end, which is very clever and interesting. the climax is very well made. the songs and background score are done extremely well. particularly the background music when don comes, ' don... don...'.

Shahrukh Khan, i have seen many movies of SRK, but this is something different after long time, in a negative role. he did really well. apart from SRK Boman Irani, Arjun Rampal,Priyanka Chopra did their part really well.

i think remaking an old movie is not trend in Indian cinemas. but this will change the trend.

overall VERY GOOD entertainment

An excellent film

Author: aeneas515 from United States
27 October 2006

Don just continues to prove that Farhan Akhtar is a brilliant director, taking a big budget blockbuster and making it smart, fast-paced and fun. Shahrukh Khan does really well as the villain, something I had not expected going into the movie. Priyanka Chopra is strong as the female lead, and Arjun Rumpal is especially good in his smaller but important role. The music in the movie is one of its strongest points, every song is carried out with excitement, yet the songs don't take away from the plot of the movie at all, they enhance the scenes they are complementing. One of my favorite Bollywood films of the past couple years, up there with Rang de Basanti and Kal Ho Naa Ho.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]