IMDb > "Four Kings" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Sorry NBC - Try Again

Author: lmason-3 from Virginia
9 January 2006

I love Seth Green, I really do. But this show was so awful! The jokes were forced and the same old and predictable. The scene with the personal trainer I could almost quote without having ever seen the episode before. I have not seen anything so pathetic since the ill-fated "Martin Short Show."

However, after saying that, I may watch another episode to give it another chance. Sometimes the pilot episode spends so much time setting things up that it loses substance.

NBC is trying so hard to get some good, new comedies out there and so far has only "Earl."

Find something to read

Author: bob.c from 1000 oaks Ca
6 January 2006

Thursday on NBC used to be "Must See TV" Well......Will and Grace is OK, but the Two Queens followed by the Four Kings is just too much.It was so bad, I'm not sure where to begin knocking it, so I won't.My Name is Earl is the only Pearl in this NBC line-up. Sure hope they don't let this go. I've got to write ten lines about this show or this review won't get posted. Well the International Movie Data Base people make the rules. Frankly, I don't think you should be forced to read ten lines about a show that can be described in one word. "Bad" . I'm up to nine lines. One more line and maybe I can get this posted. Hope this helps your decision making.

Sylvia, what?!

Author: brynnkk from United States
26 January 2006

Sylvia says: I love Seth Green. His appearances on THat 70s' Show is always worth watching but last night, I felt the show needed to overhauled. Four single young guys inherit a New York City apartment that most of us would die for. The grandmother must have been an heiress to have such space in the first place. So I felt the need for realism should have been brought out. Anyway the plot about four best friends getting this apartment was not believable. I would have been thrilled if they had to move in with one of their parents which would have provided great humor and dysfunctional about the show's set up. There did not seem to be much humor in it. I am only watching it because it falls before My Name is Earl on a winning Thursday night. I think they should go back, scrap this series, and start over. We need more family involved series. How about Seth and his friends move in with his wacky parents in the suburbs after a fire burns their place down. THey could have Dabney Coleman play the father and Christine Estabrook, play the mother and dysfunctional siblings. The list of possibilities with somebody like Seth Green are endless and the network is blowing it.

I say...what?! The show is actually very adorable. 'Earl' is the show that needs to be removed from existence.

Not very good

Author: bregund from San Francisco
6 January 2006

I normally like Seth Green in anything he does, but as the Barney Fife/Jack Mcfarland comedy relief character in this show, he's terrible. It's not his fault of course, it's the terrible writing. This show is awful, the characters have no chemistry. It's always a bad sign during promos when they pitch the show with the words: "from the creators of...". In this case, it's "from the creators of Will and Grace", as though the TV-viewing public is supposed to instantly like the show just because it's from the creators of another hit show. In one awful scene in the pilot, Seth Green repeatedly propositions his brother's girlfriend, right in front of his brother. It might have been funny if written properly, but Green comes off as a creepy pervert instead of a two-dimensional clown, a la Jack Mcfarland. I don't see this show lasting very long at all, people just won't watch it.

First Impressions

Author: ScooterKSU from United States
8 January 2006

This has been a good year for sitcoms. After a good decade without a new good one, this year has seen three very watchable half hour programs that debuted this year. But then again, with all the great sitcoms this year, there still was the absolutely horrible The War at Home. But one of the better new ones, My Name Is Earl along with The Office, was moved to Thursday this week as NBC tries to resurrect its once unbeatable Must See TV lineup which hasn't been Must See since Friends started to suck, and for those keeping track at home, that would be circa the mid-nineties.

To round out the new all comedy lineup is Will & Grace which I didn't even realized was still on and is followed by the new Four Kings. The show follows four friends who are now living in an apartment left to one of them by his dead grandmother, who just so happened to coined them the Four Kings. The show stars the werewolf from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and three dudes whose IMDb pages look as impressive as mine, well that's if I had one. For some reason my appearance on Letterman back in 1994 or the numerous times I was on public access don't warrant my very own page. But anyways.

Last night started off in earnest with a decent theme song in the Counting Crow's Hangin' Around. Then it was all downhill from there. There were very few jokes that actually made me laugh, but that could be due to the episode focused around the grandmother's death and proceeding funeral and I'm not the biggest fan of dead grandma jokes. But that's just me. Plus everything in the show was even easier to telegraph than Reunion. When the show is advertised as four dudes living together, you knew that the grandson would pick to live his buddies over his girlfriend, or as one of the guys put it "Bro's over ho's." I think that was the first time someone used that phrase since Friends started to suck. Had she actually moved in with the Four Kings that may have made for an interesting show. Seriously, these networks really need to hire me as a consultant.

The only bright spot of the whole episode is when Oz went to break up with his girlfriend, even though I wasn't really sure why all the guys had to break up with their girlfriends, or personal trainer in one of their cases, don't ask, it wasn't funny. But Oz's confrontation with the twin daughters was hilarious. Sadly, since he broke up with their mother that will most likely be the last we see of them.

Sorry, this isn't it, Seth?

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States