IMDb > "Four Kings" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Four Kings" More at IMDbPro »

worth watching

Author: bsy1029 from United States
2 February 2006

I realize that if NBC pulls "Four Kings" after a short run, it won't be one of a few. But I have to disagree with the harsh review. I just saw "Elephant in the Room" and I thought that the jokes were pretty unremarkable, but the acting and the plot really stood out. Bonus points to the creators for making an interesting opening title--its artistic but not too long. The actors have chemistry, which pulls them through some of the more mundane dialog.

Some shows (espcially sitcoms) can make you feel like you've just wasted 30 min watching nothing. For "Four Kings," you know you've just wasted 30 min, and you're proud of it.

Eralk Fang on Four Kings

Author: Eralk Fang from The South
2 February 2006

If you enjoy the comedy on Will & Grace, you will probably enjoy this show. I do. The comedy is of course a little more 'masculine', as the main characters are four twenty-something straight men. Seth Green is quite funny as Barry, the jerk of the four. Todd Grinell as Jason is just as, if not more, funny, and where on Earth has Shane McRae been hiding? Sure, Bobby's character isn't that hard to pull off, but at the time of this writing, we're only four episodes in, and I find myself fond of the character. Again, the comedy is similar to Will & Grace, and if you don't find that funny, there's only a slim chance you'll find this funny.

Good start....

Author: brettlee7 from United States
26 January 2006

Seems to me like the actors are talented, and basic setup is workable, but the show just needs a little polishing. The writing is funny, but the production seems a little shaky. A good show overall, and I think if it makes it through the season it'll be able to pick up and be a great sitcom. After a season or so the writers/producers/directors can be able to see the little things that are making the show a little slow and fix them. Overall though, the characters are good starts, and the actors, particularly Todd Grinnell seem to be really promising. Sethe Green, the only actor with any recognizable previous experience is actually not as impressive as some of the others. Good show overall, hopefully will last long enough to fix some of the minor glitches.

It's a shame this show was canceled.

Author: uckpshh from london, england
13 June 2006

Although the laughs were somewhat scarce, and the scripts a little under-developed, the chemistry within the cast was undeniable. I have to admit, that while this was not a "Seinfeld" or "The Office", for the first season of a new comedy, this was a showpiece that NBC hadn't had for a long time. This show actually showed promise. Unlike "The War at Home", which for some reason is still running, this was a tasteful, relatively smart comedy. For whatever reason, the only TV success Seth Green has had, is "Family Guy", which miraculously made its return only a short while ago. Everyone was cast well in their parts, and they were all believable as friends. Frankly, this show had some potential, and I can't recommend you watch it, because there's absolutely no point. However, I wish this show had stuck around a little longer, because it deserved to.

not so bad

Author: cutiepie31574 from United States
2 February 2006

I watched it for the first time tonight,it's not so bad.There was a really,really,funny scene about gay camp story with Seth Green.If it was only that funny all the way through it would rock.I'll have to keep watching to see if it goes anywhere. I think that it might not be strong enough to make it if it does not get better and polished up quickly it will probably get canceled. Sictoms are here today and gone tomorrow now a days. I honestly didn't even know it existed till tonight but, it caught my attention and I'm an avid channel surfer so it's got to be interesting to make me stop and watch. You got 5 seconds tops to grab my attention.Any how, I'd watch it again to see how it develops.I'm thinking it will get canceled before it really goes anywhere.

Kings

Author: ksmie1962 from United States
6 January 2006

I really liked the show, the interaction between the guys, the flash backs to when they were young. All was good. I especially liked how Ben is the favored character while poor Seth Green is the unlucky one. The huge granny underwear was a hoot. I loved how Ben picked his buddies when it hit him how self involved and selfish his girlfriend was. I think that this series could be the new all male friends, the potential is there and it was cute, funny, charming, gross, and all the things a good comedy needs. I think people should give it a chance. Hopefully people who are expecting a Will & Grace clone will realize that this is different and just go with it.

This was a funny show

Author: Tina Schuh from Naples, Florida
10 September 2006

I know the show's been over for a while. Not to mention the last post here was some time back. However, I still cannot believe Four Kings was canceled. My only question is why. The characters Barry, Ben, Bobby and Jason are all great parts. We especially liked Barry and Bobby. They were funny. We liked Barry for seeming not to trust his friend's intentions of hooking him up with a girl. And we liked Bobby for playing a softhearted and seemingly dimwitted character. Both my husband and I enjoyed this show. The two of us don't usually agree on television. However, this one was very funny. I'm sort of sad to see it's gone. So many other shows need to be axed, but not this one.

Woefully Underrated and Tragically Short-Lived; This Show Was Brilliant!

Author: Xander Seavy (RiffRaffMcKinley) from United States
12 July 2007

Let's think, people. We have a winning cast, tiptop writers, and directors who know how to channel both into a winning combination. "Four Kings" unfortunately joined the ranks of obnoxiously short-lived shows... much like the original "Battlestar Galactica" (1978) and "Dilbert" (1999).

From the creators of the infinitely-worse "Will & Grace," "Four Kings" is just simply the story of four friends. Maybe this doesn't cut it for some people, but this show had it all. It was never off, and always on. Especially great standouts are Seth Green as rampant horndog Barry and Shane McRae as Bobby, the "Drunk Cuddler." I cannot wait until the entirety of this magnificent sitcom graces store shelves with its presence on DVD.

Getting Better

Author: ehoward677-1 from United States
13 February 2006

The pilot episode was only mediocre, but I am not disappointed that I stuck it out. The writers are doing a pretty good job of developing the characters, and it's starting to pay off. The episode's following the pilot are pretty funny, and I expect it will keep getting better. Seth Green always plays his part well. The support cast is developing as well. In particular, Green's boss and the CEO have added a lot to the show. The writers have done a good job of weaving all the characters in with the two bosses. I would like to see the setting developed a little more. I know that sounds picky, but shows like Will and Grace, Friends, etc. are supported by their set. So far, the apartment hasn't really been developed all that well. It's still early, though. Keep an eye on this show. It has potential to be great.

Worth watching... but lacked of a spark.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
1 September 2008

This was a clever show with mature sense of humor. The main problem with it is that there wasn't a spark; I mean, the kind of sensation that makes a difference between regular shows and great shows that pass to history.

The actors who played the principal characters were not that funny except for Seth Green who always comes and gives the best performance.

The situations were kind of funny but were uncomfortable at some points. Still I would recommend it for those who are tired of the humor brought in pop-American shows.

I also don't think it would've last for more than two seasons.