IMDb > Fast Food Nation (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fast Food Nation

Fast Food Nation More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Interesting topic, but disappointing movie.

Author: Schwabi from Germany
2 March 2007

This Movie is the worse "Thank You For Smoking". It's got an interesting topic, but as a fictional movie, its very disappointing. The first half hour is watchable, but as it's moving on, it loses itself in mere accusations and more than kindergarten-like explanations, mostly in unmotivated, kind of black-and-white discussions amongst characters. It feels like they hit you with five jackhammers at once to dip your nose onto their opinion. If they had done it as a documentary, it would have been great, but this movie just sucks and leads to nowhere but boredom. If I hadn't been a vegetarian before, I certainly would not become one because of this movie. At least I didn't have to pay for it.

the end of the American Dream

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
2 December 2006

I will say that Richard Linklater's movie version of Eric Schlosser's expository "Fast Food Nation" could have been better. It shows these various stories, but doesn't do the best job tying them together, thereby falling a little flat. But in terms of showing how the meatpacking industry treats its immigrant workers, they couldn't have done a better, uglier job. It's a stark reminder of the real meaning of eating chain restaurant food.

Greg Kinnear plays Don Anderson, a well-off executive of the fictional restaurant chain Mickey's. When he takes a trip to their processing factory in Colorado, he gets a sanitized tour of the place, only to learn the unpleasant, fecal truth from other sources. The contrasted story portrays some Mexican immigrants (among them Wilmer Valderrama, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Ana Claudia Talancon) move to the US, only to get dangerous jobs in the factory, and the women have to submit to rape by the supervisor. And they leave nothing to the imagination when showing the inhumanity of the place. Not to mention how they treat the cows and pollute the surrounding environment.

The discussion amongst the students about how the factory pollutes the environment and buys out the politicians is a reminder of something else: the cronyism that has taken over our government during the past few years. We can hope - a word that one of the students doesn't like at all - that the recent election might change things at least some, that whole scene is plenty of reason for cynicism, showing how corporations have been able to get away with anything.

Anyway, although they don't tie the plots together as well as they could have, this is still a movie that I recommend to everyone - although you should read the book first. You'll never want to eat fast food again after watching this. Also starring Patricia Arquette, Luis Guzman, Ethan Hawke, Kris Kristofferson, Avril Lavigne, and Bruce Willis. Among other things, it's good to see that Avril Lavigne has been getting involved in political things and isn't just another Britney Spears.

A far better film than people have given it credit for being

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
26 March 2007

Richard Linklater examines the cogs in the giant machine called the fast food industry. The film is much like its much more successful competitor, Babel, in that if follows several story threads. Much like Babel, it doesn't quite make any real points by the end. Unlike Babel, I don't think Linklater especially wanted to make anything like Iñarritu's grandiose statements, except a very broad one about how the industry does some sort of harm to everyone involved, from CEO to customer. I thought Babel was successful in its view of the everyday lives of its characters, but Fast Food Nation is even more successful in that way. It doesn't live on big moments. For the most part, Linklater's talent shines in the individual vignettes. His characters feel like they had lives before the film began, and like they'll have lives afterward. We learn surprisingly little about most of them, but the few moments we spend with them are enough to get a good sense of the characters. I thought the most successful storyline centered around actress Ashley Johnson, a bright teenager who works in one of the fast food chain's restaurants in Cody, Colorado (her not-so-bright co-workers, including actor Paul Dano, work in the back). The other major threads follow Greg Kinnear as an exec who has come to inspect the possibly poorly run mega-factory where the meat patties are produced, and a group of illegal immigrants (including Oscar nominee Catalina Sandino Moreno and surprisingly good TV comedian Wilmer Valderrama) who work at the mega-factory in dangerous conditions. The film certainly has its faults (the film ends on the most groan-inducing note since the final scene of John Sayles' last film), but most every scene is so beautifully observed that I'm more than willing to overlook its faults. 2006 may not have been a great year for Richard Linklater financially, but he was firing on all of his artistic cylinders with both this and the even better A Scanner Darkly. One of the most underrated films of last year.

Everyone should see it

Author: Tinkerbettie1 from United States
23 November 2006

I think everyone in America should see this film, but probably few will. I hadn't read the book before I saw the film, but I thought it was both powerful and important. I think Richard Linklater can do no wrong, and this film is no exception. I didn't think the movie was dry at all, as some have reviewed it. It was compelling throughout. The acting and story were good with minor exceptions, the characters were sympathetic, the subject matter was certainly relatable. This film focuses on everything that's wrong with America, and it's not pretty. It was certainly not an easy movie to watch at times, but I am very grateful that Linklater is still making thought-provoking films.

This is the WORST film ever. A scourge on cinema!

Author: nksalzman from United States
7 March 2007

The book was good and this movie had the opportunity to be insightful, but instead the characters are weak, the plot line non-existent, and the dialog is awful--it makes even someone awesome like Bruce Willis seem flaccid. The whole movie should have been of the kill floor and of the investigation of the feces in the meat--too many plot lines that go nowhere. The trailer was good and shot the full load right there. Nothing more to see. Go see "Thank you for smoking" if you want to see something like this that isn't awful. I have to fill in more to submit this comment so I shall: THIS MOVIE IS SO BAD MY MIND EXPLODED. I WANTED TO STOP WATCHING BUT I COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW BAD IT WAS AND PERSEVERED TO MY GREAT REGRET.

Big cast for a interesting movie

Author: climbhi5 from Ft. Collins, CO, USA
19 November 2006

I just happen to stumble into this movie today. I had never read the book although I had herd a brief summery once. Besides being a great product placement ad for New Belgium Brewing, some of the best beers in the world in my opinion, I thought it was a good movie over all. I was surprised to see all the big name actor that were in this movie. I live on the Colorado Front Range, the place where the book is based off of and the movie alludes to. It is a nice place and I think the movie portrays the area quite accurately, though they tend to focus more on the bad then good. I think that this movie brings to light some issues that are often passed over as too controversial and it is quite graphic but I think that it helps drive home the points of the movies. I my opinion go see the movie, but don't take anyone that can't stand to see graphic scenes and adult content.

not organized, or concluded

Author: cliffjp from United States
9 December 2006

Fast Food Nation seemingly forgets to take us back to its main story about the corporate side of the burger industry. After the main character leaves Colorado to go back to California, they should have continued with his story. How did he report his findings to his boss? How did he and his wife respond to his trip? Does he still eat the "Big One"? Instead, after he leaves Colorado, the movie lazily stays on the story of the corruption at the meat-packing plant, even though this point - the meat packing industry is horrible - had already been drilled into us, early on. And the other side story, about the rebellious teenage girl, during her quitting her job scene, the other male employee says something to the effect of, the fast food industry is not morally "wrong", just low-paying. This seemed to contradict major points of the movie.

Not so good but worth to see

Author: Cemre T from Turkey
21 June 2017

A lot of problems like migration, the real face of the fast food industry, the way they treat animals, work accidents, people using methamphetamine etc. were mentioned during movie. But these problems could have been shown more detailed. Thinking of the basis of the characters, it was really insufficient.

It could be a better movie but it's still worth to see to gain a point of view about what really goes on till we have our fast food meal.

A mild-mannered Hollywood movie that goes nowhere

Author: murphyclm from United States
5 June 2017

The movie is 10 years old at this point and very dated. Better to watch a documentary about the meatpacking industry and/or entering the country illegally. This movie was all over the place. I frankly have not much sympathy for anyone entering the United States illegally and hope that with Trump elected and the building of the wall, it will stop. Better young Mexicans actually stay in Mexico and fight to make their native country better. And if I want to eat meat, I will realistically take my chances where I eat it in America. You can most certainly get sick eating organically raised meat or plants also, for pity sake.

Unconvincing arguments and uninteresting story

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
25 September 2016

This film tells the stories of people who work in the fast food industry, including top management, store manager, cashier, and illegal workers in meat processing plants.

"Fast Food Nation" isn't as interesting or funny as I thought it might be. The vast number of well known actors aren't really put to good use, as they mostly have very small roles. The stories they tell are not very interesting, with the exception of the migrant workers whose tough lives and harsh working conditions should evoke sympathy. The cashier's story is rather plain. It doesn't expose the horrors of the industry either, except in the final few minutes where they show what happens in an abattoir. If shock tactic is to be used, why leave it until the last few minutes? And slaughtering animals is not unique to the fast food industry. Hence, the augments against the fast food industry is weak and hardly convincing. "Super Size Me" does a way better job at alarming people while being entertaining. This film does neither. I frankly felt bored most of the time while watching "Fast Food Nation".