IMDb > Fast Food Nation (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fast Food Nation

Fast Food Nation More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Just Garbage.

Author: cows_are_great from San Francisco, United States
18 December 2006

Moral of the story: Junk food and fast food are EVIL. This is new. No one has ever done this moral before. Ever. I just didn't see that one coming, that message just punched me right in the face, especially with tag-lines as clever and catchy as "Would you like lies with that" (GET IT? INSTEAD OF FRIES?! HAHAHA! Hilarity. And yet clever and subtle and just smart. Or...), or "The truth is hard to swallow" (That's a clear warning sign that you're in for a festival of condescending know-it-all messages, when they declare their own message a truth or a revelation of some sort... how cocky and pretentious, eh?).

As far as the movie goes from a purely political or moral perspective, it's crap. First of all, it isn't controversial at all, despite the fact that they insist on trying to make it seem as if it is. It was controversial 30 years ago. Stop acting like this is some spark to a revolution or something, for Christ's sake. There isn't really anything you didn't know if you watched SuperSize Me and read the book and have just in general not been locked in a closet for the last 20 years without a TV. The messages are old, stale and uninteresting. And because it's a work of fiction, anything bad that could happen, does happen, and then it gets the balls sensationalized out of it. To use this movie as a piece of education would be like using Terminator to ban research on robotics and AI. So, weak and stale points, sensationalized arguments and an arrogant and condescending tone. Oh, you thought this was why I declared this movie garbage?

The story... whoa Nelly... the story. Poor Mexican border crossers get treated badly and butchered, elite corporate guy sells crap to people and doesn't care because he's a corporate guy and that's what corporate guys do, because corporate = evil, and the teenager feels rebellious. The acting is good, but it can only mask the absolute shoddiness of the story to a certain degree. Characters are all on sided, the story is so obviously politically motivated and without emotion, and the characters barely, if at all, tie in to each other. It's just bad.

The only reason anyone is giving this movie a good review is because they agreed with the moral before they even saw it. They liked that it smashed at fast food just as much as they liked to smash at it. Morally inclined bias to the actual review of the movie. That's all it is.

This movie is indeed just plain fart smelly garbage.

Fast Food Nation no spoiler review

Author: chenrici from United States
15 October 2012

I saw this in the library, I checked it out not knowing much about this movie other than the blurb on the box, that it was loosely based on a nonfiction book indicting the fast food industry. Unlike some others here who felt let down and disappointed by the movie, I had the opposite reaction, "Fast Food Nation" was better than I thought it would be. If you expect a Michael Moore type film on the fast food industry you might not like this. It is more of a humanistic view of not only fast food chains effect on people's lives, but franchises in general. The central points of the movie are not limited to the evil big mac (or "big one" as its called in the film), it's asking some broader questions. Should people be happy with a Big Mac and a pair of Nikes? What happens to bring it to them? and is there maybe something weird about a culture where plenty of people are actually happy with a big mac and a pair of Nikes, or maybe a "Happy Meal". Bruce Willis' character represents the other side of the coin who basically says- nobody is making immigrants come here (a big mac and a pair of Nikes is probably still better than what they had), plus plenty of other things kill people besides fast food. And I'd also add there is a bit of s**t in just about any tap water as well as that "big one" burger. It was probably presented as a "fictional" movie to avoid legal problems, and to avoid being tied into Michael Moore territory. Overall I like the approach they took. All the actors are good, and I especially liked Bruce Willis and Ethan Hawke in their short parts. "Fast food nation" is a unique achievement encompassing both dark humor and moving drama. The moralistic tone of the film and the killing floor scene combine to make a strong impact. It could have been a little more focused, but this is a well done film IMO.

bleak, disappointing, want my time back

Author: canjoh from United States
6 January 2010

Perhaps at the time this film came out it made news, but it is now merely a moralistic bore. Many writers have made hay of the beef industry and its hand maiden, fast food in recent years, so if you're paying attention, nothing in this film is really news.

Beyond that, it is a bleak picture of humanity, which isn't unfair, just incomplete. The story is slow, uncompelling, and boring. I nearly turned it off at a couple different points and regretted that I hadn't. The end was a nice little touch, but not worth the wait.

The characters themselves for the most part were very unengaging, cardboard-like, and simply uninteresting. The fact that this movie was based on a non-fiction book should ward off any potential viewer. I didn't heed the warning, and thus, I wish I had those two hours back. I would have been much better off reading a book about food than watching this movie.

Don't make my mistake--there are much better movies about food out there, this one is terrible.

I'll Have the Soyburger, Thank You.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
11 April 2009

Judging from the title, I'd expected this to be something along the lines of a fable like "Supersize Me" or some documentary on The Learning Channel teaching us a lesson on hot dogs and french fries. But no. It's am ambitious drama about the illegal importation of Mexicans to work in a meat-processing plant to service a chain of burger joints called "Mickeys." There are multiple narratives. They cover the story of a marketing agent for Mickeys (Gregg Kinnear) who finds out more about how Mickey's burger patties are produced than he cares to know. Then there are the illegal Mexicans who include the magnetic Colombian actress Catalina Sandino Moreno from "Maria Full of Grace." Actually I got some of the Mexicans mixed up. Not Moreno or Luis Guzman, because they're familiar faces, but some of the other characters blend into one another, especially in the meat-packing plant where all of them wear the same uniforms and surgical masks. We get to know a little about some high school kids who are offended by the conditions the cattle live under, and by the fact that there excreta are dumped into ponds and eventually reach the river. There are relatively short scenes involving Kris Kristofferson and Bruce Willis.

The movie is a polemic that demonstrates how money and the need to make as much of it as possible corrupts. "Everything's being taken over by machines," intones Kristofferson, an old curmudgeon who loves "the land." That's pretty much the point of the whole movie, as long as we can define "machine" broadly to include mechanisms made up of socially agreed-upon rules.

I was generally sympathetic to the film's agenda but it might have been better if the script had stuck with one person and one narrative thread -- maybe Kinnear's. The script is guilty of pandering though. Mickey's Burgers corrupts, and absolute Mickey's Burgers corrupt absolutely. There's something hateful about everyone associated with Mickey's. The foreman bones all the good-looking young women. Even the guy working at the local outlet spits a ginder into one of the burgers before passing it on to the customer. (Cf., "Casino" in which the same thing was done.) And what, asks the film, can be done about it all? Nothing. The dice of the gods are loaded. The governor of Colorado received hundreds of thousands of dollars from Uniglobal Meat Packing, and the chief of the state's EPA is married to one of its executives. The high schoolers get a lecture from an experienced activist and they cut the wires surrounding the cattle pen. Alas, the cattle are too stupid to know they have been freed and they refuse to leave. That's one advantage cattle have over us. They don't suffer from ontological Angst. They don't ask themselves questions like, "What the hell am I doing, standing here up to my shakra points in my own manure?" They probably don't have any fear about their fates because they don't have the concept of "death". It comes as a surprise when one of them is beaned with an air gun, drained of blood, gutted, sawed up, slashed to pieces, and fed to happy families. The writers and director have the good taste to save this scene for the climax of the movie. I mean that sarcastically.

Eating meat represents a low level of ecological efficiency. Instead of eating 100 calories worth of grass, we feed the grass to cattle, butcher them, and get 10 calories out of it. The rest of it goes to waste, in both senses of the word. Yet the movie is offensively preachy. Why must an important message be spelled out as if to a class of first graders, encased in lectures? Seeing the chunks of meat and fat being processed is enough to turn anyone into a strict vegetarian. The problem is that Homo sapiens is, and has always been, an omnivore. And the problem behind THAT problem is that there are too many Homo sapiens and their number is increasing exponentially. The more of us there are, the more pressure we must by necessity put on the natural and the economic environments. If things continue as they are, there won't be any Kris Kristofferson's boasting about protecting his land from machines. We'll all be chewed up and spit out like hamburger patties because people have to eat, don't they? The only nation on earth that seems to have this figured out is China. It doesn't take a computer to nail down the figures. An abacus will do.

Something just occurred to me. Suppose you're a vegetarian restricted to a kosher diet? And in addition you were committed to organically grown food and averse to genetically engineered food, artificial additives, preservatives, and you avoided fats because they cause cancer, and salt because of concerns about blood pressure, and proteins because of the possibility of gout, and carbohydrates because they might lead to diabetes? That might ease the problem of overpopulation.

Issues Presented Without Cheese & Pickles

Author: getyourdander from United States
10 April 2009

This film takes a very serious book and tries to make it into a movie but in doing so seems to lose the focus of the issues it presents. That is because it goes into several issues. The main focus is the abuse of animals and workers in making burgers for consumption at America's Fast Food Restaurants. The burgers are supposed to be contaminated with animal droppings to put it nicely.

The film looks at the illegal alien problem in America in that it shows meat plant workers being UN-documented folks who come across the border. It goes into some sexual & drug problems with a supervisor having his way with many of the women at his plant. Late in the movie it shows the killing room. The film presents an inept group of teens who nearly get themselves hurt trying to help the cows.

Because of the number of issues presented, the film tends to lose focus and not present any of them effectively enough. The pace of the movie is something akin to watching an entire professional golf tournament. If your into the activity, you will stick it out. If your not, you will lose your focus too.

After seeing this, I get the feeling the book which I have not read, might be a stronger plot. This is like Melba toast.

Or, How To Give Fast Food a Bad Name.

Author: Roger Burke from Brisbane, Australia
24 April 2008

I haven't eaten a hamburger – or any food - from any fast food joint (FFJ) since April 1977. I've bought drinks, maybe a coffee, but that's it since then...

And that happened because I spent two months driving, coast to coast (both ways), across USA at that time. Along the way, and being on a tight budget, I had to sample all the offerings from a great variety of FFJs. So, in a sense, I inadvertently preceded Morgan Spurlock's award winning documentary Super Size Me! (2004) by twenty-five years or so. But, I wasn't out to win awards; I was simply surviving.

But that road trip effectively killed my liking for any fast food from any FFJ - forever.

And, that's another reason I thoroughly enjoyed Fast Food Nation: despite the often heavy-handed socio-political docudrama feel of this film, it's a good story, well acted, and – best of all – timely.

The narrative traces the interactions of various people in Cody, Colorado – apparently the place that has the biggest cattle corral in the world and where most of the meat patties for hamburgers are made. Greg Kinnear as Don Anderson, is an executive for a hamburger chain who's trying to get to the bottom of fecal contamination in their product; Kris Kristofferson is a disgruntled and angry rancher, Rudy Martin, with the inside dope on dirty meat from the nearby slaughterhouse and meat packaging company; Luis Guzman plays the part of a wetback smuggler, Benny, another link in the dirty chain of lousy meat product but big, meaty profits for unethical corporations; Ashley Johnson as Amber is the local girl who wakes up to the truth about fast food while working at Mickey's Big One chain; Patricia Arquette, as her mother Cindy, appears briefly, but effectively; and, Ethan Hawke, as the footloose uncle Pete, attempts to provide worldly advice for Ashley.

But, for the piece de resistance, who better to appear than Bruce Wills, as Harry Rydell, to vigorously argue the case for fast food to serve a hungry and growing nation, not to mention the world. It's a powerful – if predictable – scene between him and Don, the executive, as they discuss the pros and cons of the issue. Even if you disagree with the words, you gotta hand it to Bruce: he knows how to put a case across without any BS.

The writer/director offers no solutions, of course – except to be aware of the ongoing problems facing the food industry, and now, in 2008, all around the world. FFJs serve their purpose, as they must, in keeping the wheels of industry and growth churning, albeit sometimes with losses of limbs, hands, fingers etc. And fecal infested meat patties.

But I opted out a long time ago. However, for those who still use FFJs, you can console yourself that, at least, it's not Soylent Green (1973). Yet.

Recommended for adults. Contains murky sex scenes, much hanging meat and, at the end, buckets of blood, I kid you not.

Fast Link Food Later

Author: rotildao from UK
21 April 2008

Syriana meets Super Size Me with a Michael Mooresh appeal, but, nevertheless its sensationalism, Linklater is effective and mandatory for such crucial times we live in. I felt like watching a Lars Von Trier film with lesser doses of sadism. Almost a masterpiece for its context, Fast Food Nation brings subjects that "links" us all in a great food chain of opportunism. There are no victims in the system we created, and therefore no escape as well. The only way is to succumb, and buying us some time before we completely grind one another into slaughterhouses of corporative worlds seems unavoidable. The recycling matter of what we eat is the best answer for what we created, and not a pleasant definition of what we are living in now. Perhaps if the movie was a little longer with more "meat" to it, this would have been a more succulent entrée, or a "BBQ BIG ONE" for all means. Still a very important movie not to be ignored.

Beaf industry seriously roasted here

Author: Galicius from Hudson Highlands, United States
30 March 2008

This randomly picked up film at a local library was shocking. Even while watching it I expected a horde of junk food establishment defenders to jump to the "contains spoilers" section here at IMDb and I found no surprises there. This film is a much-needed wake up call with a powerful message. It's not a disjointed story: the story is its message. You probably will seriously consider what kind of a hamburger you will eat again after watching this. It will also show you some the work that poor illegal immigrants do that no one else wants. It brought us a large step closer to a vegetarian diet. Cattle-beef meat industry is seriously roasted here to the well done. It recalls "Meat USA" on PBS of some years ago.

More important then the sometimes clumsy execution suggests

Author: D A from SoFla, UsA
5 March 2007

Disjointed and unrefined as it may be, Fast Food Nation still remains one of America's most potent in-house criticisms of our horrid low-rent eating establishments and the underlying, skull-crushingly ridiculous bureaucracy that drives an inhumane greed. Largely flawed with a strained and unfocused narrative, the ambitious non-fiction material from which it was based does not get a proper transition to screen. Tackling the abhorrent underbelly of our Ronald Macdonald culture, the film comes with a vision knowledgeable enough to educate and shock at least some of it's viewers into becoming more conscious about what they are actually putting inside themselves when dining via a drive-thru. It is with constant, poorly implemented cross-cutting to subplots mainly tying in illegal immigration, that the powerful themes begin to get lost. While certainly ambitious, the multi-faceted approach into every surrounding stereotype's participation into this dangerous machine called corporate farming, does rapidly begin to detract potency from a vital and urgent heart.

It is my hope that viewers won't get bogged down in the excessive and minor subplots and characterizations, instead appreciating the value this rare type of movie achieves: one that delicately balances social awareness and fun. It is perhaps that precise balance which may, despite much critical panning, help find that delicate center of middle American masses it desperately seeks to engage, in turn becoming a greater triumph then any short-lived award.

A Nutshell Review: Fast Food Nation

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
30 December 2006

At first glance, my impression of Fast Food Nation is that it'll take a more documentary approach in highlighting issues about the fast food industry. It did look like it had room for satire with a provocative style, but should you be expecting something along the lines of Super Size Me, then this is the wrong movie for you.

For starters, it's got an appeal like Thank You For Smoking, but its narrative choice of attaching characters to mouthpiece different issues, seemed to make the movie feel very scattered in its presentation of ideas. While this approach had its merits, giving different ideas appropriate focus and dedicated screen time, it didn't make a very compelling, thorough argument as a whole. Something along the lines of having too many cooks spoiling the broth, and it really kept the best for the last, building an anticipation which got glossed over too quickly.

Fast Food Nation contains an excellent ensemble cast assembled, and characters ranged from illegal immigrants crossing over the US border from Mexico, to cattle ranchers, food processing plant workers, fast food outlet workers, and all the way up to the corporate boardroom of a fictional fast food chain. The entire supply chain of the fast food industry gets addressed, and every perceived skeleton from the closet gets its fair share of air time. You have doctored reports, tales from the production floor, sexual favours, poor work conditions and lack of benefits, and tons of lies.

Richard Linklater movies have dialogue which rock, and there is no lack of those in Fast Food Nation. In particular, pay attention during the scene with Bruce Willis (yes) and Greg Kinnear. It meanders around, trying to reason, before coming down like a sledgehammer. That conversation itself is a worth the price of an admission ticket, seriously.

The book (I managed to scan through it) probably packed a lot more theories and figures which should make it a compelling read, but the movie, whose screenplay is also co-written by the author Eric Schlosser, in having to adopt a different approach to present those ideas, somehow diluted some of them. But the movie should make you want to pick up the book for more.

And yes, I'm swearing off burgers and fast food for a while.