IMDb > Fast Food Nation (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fast Food Nation

Fast Food Nation More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Rent the DVD and get the special features

Author: Anthony Carre from United States
1 May 2007

I read some of the comments made about this film. It does stay at a very superficial level and leaves the audience a bit "hungry" at the end (but not hungry for meat!). I would have wished for more insights - going deeper into the subject.

I saw some comments about the poor acting and I disagree. I think that all actors had a part and is was nice to bring some stars like Bruce Willis and Ethan Hawke.

I rent the DVD and I watched the special features which contain 3 episodes of "The Meatrix", starring Moopheus. The folks who created this cartoon delivered the same message as "Fast Food Nation" in less than 15 minutes - I learned as much and it was fun! I highly recommend.

The facts of this "fictional" movie are true

Author: David Long from United States
30 March 2007

I gave the movie a 4 because felt that is was a bit boring. I would find myself interested in the main subject matter, being the food manufacturing plant and all of the sudden the movie would switch gears towards a girl and her uncle. A lot of this back and forth caused me to lose interest.

On a serious note about the importance of this movie, for the last twenty years I have worked as an inspector in manufacturing plants and the restaurants themselves and all of the so called "fictional" stuff in this movie is actually quite true. A restaurant isn't going to put a remains of a slaughtered cow on the hamburger box, but the reality is that is what we are eating. Even worse, by the time it reaches the stores it has been infested with god knows what.

On a restaurant level the atmosphere is even worse. I could write an entire book about what I have seen in these places. You think the movie portrays the manufacturing plants to be bad, you should see what I have seen in the stores. I will not even say what I have seen in Chinese restaurants, but even in hamburger joints I have seen rats, mold, I can even recall being in a fast food restaurant and seeing where a milkshake had spilled all over the back of the burger make line and no one ever cleaned it up. It was moldy and had flies all over it.

You would that I would shy away from fast food because of what I have seen, but it is true that this food is addictive. Now don't get me wrong, I do know where not to eat and where not to take my family, but I still munch down a BM once in a while.

After watching this movie I feel like crying when I picture my children eating this crap. The scene where the punk employee spits on the burger is also very true. This happens everyday! When I was a teenager I worked in a restaurant and heaven help you if you came through the drive thru just before close. Most employees are so anxious to get the hell out of there that they start putting the away as it gets closer to closing time. I can recall a half an hour went by with no cars then at one minute until close some drunk came thru and placed an order. He was very obnoxious and boy did he pay for it. Not that being polite would have made his "secret ingredient" any better. The manager him self hooked him up! I swear I had nothing to do with it!! haha The reality is that this happens everyday, in every town, at every chain of restaurant, whether it is fast food or a nice sit down restaurant. None of us are safe. I think I will become a vegetarian.

Austin Movie Show review - brave, real, nauseating (in a good way!)

Author: leilapostgrad from Austin, TX
17 November 2006

Richard Linklater did a tremendous job at turning Eric Schlosser's best-selling investigative book "Fast Food Nation" into a shocking and inspiring piece of fiction. "Fast Food Nation" (the movie) has a giant all-star cast and focuses primarily on three intersecting story lines – the corporate executive who investigates claims that there is fecal matter in their meat patties, the teenage girl who works at a fast-food restaurant but becomes an environmental activist, and the illegal Mexican immigrants who risk their lives and dignity to work in the heinous slaughter houses and meat-packing plants.

Do see this movie, but trust me when I advise you to not eat before walking into the theater. There are graphic and nauseating shots of cows getting killed, skinned, decapitated, having their limbs chopped off, having their organs pulled off, etc. It's not pretty, but it's real, and we all need to be aware of where our food comes from because we all need to be more responsible consumers.

Skip the Movie, Read the Book

Author: lisa_ann_sanders from United States
15 November 2006

I'm completely shocked by the comments of this being a gem or a political masterpiece. My husband and I attended a screener of "Fast Food Nation" last night and we were disgusted. Not by the graphic images of cows being slaughtered (that was to be expected - this is supposed to be about the fast food industry from start to finish). We were disgusted by how heavy handed and poorly made the film was. It appeared that the director doesn't trust his audience to use use their brains and make up their own mines about the fast food industry. He shoves every story line in your face as to say "Look, isn't this awful. I'm telling you it's horrible. You have to believe me." Spare yourself this waste of time. Go grab the book "Fast Food Nation," it's much more filling.

Go read the book

Author: Eric Rose from Sydney, Australia
6 November 2006

Fast Food Nation is a film that maybe shouldn't have been made. It fails to be either a documentary worthy of the subject matter, or a piece of fiction that holds your attention. There are snippets of nice storyline and characterisations, but they are few and far between.

Catalina Sandino Moreno, as the main female character does a great job, and the storyline about the Mexican workers is well done, but the way the focus shifts between three main narratives, and some of the picayune detail of those stories is unwarranted, I feel.

Some of the younger actors give the better performances, but Bruce Willis in particular is over the top and plays an almost clumsily drawn character. Greg Kinnear's performance is fairly dull, and has no real force as a leading character and the purported means to thread the film into some cohesion.

If you want a film that talks about the way that the realities of a workplace and the search for a place in the world intrude into our happy fantasies, this might be your film. It certainly doesn't work as a exploration of the fast food culture or the meat packing industry, and too much of the interesting depth in the book was glossed over, or missed altogether.

What a bad movie

Author: sdesh03 from United Kingdom
20 September 2009

Another reviewer said that the makers of this movie have lost a valuable opportunity. I completely agree with that opinion. This film is a disaster. The movie touches on important subjects in today's society (exploitation of Mexican immigrants, abusive US corporate power, the brutality of the meat industry, grass-root activism etc) but unfortunately it presents them in a shallow and dull way. The dialogues go nowhere and the events unfold with little sense of direction. The film doesn't even provide basic facts or data on the issues mentioned above. It's fiction that just doesn't bite. If you haven't seen this movie, I strongly suggest to avoid wasting 2 hours of your life on it. If you want to learn the facts of the fast food industry, you won't find any here.

Special Features Make It Worth Watching

Author: alexraksin from United States
22 February 2007

One oft-cited drawback to "Fast Food Nation" is that the film doesn't focus sharply enough on pragmatic steps that Americans can take to eat more healthfully and support sustainable agriculture. But the March 6 DVD includes an antidote in its "special feature" section: the entire series of the critically astute "Meatrix" videos. Though the "Meatrix" is well-known by ardent Web surfers (deemed "the hottest online hit" by Salon.Com, for example), its loose satires on "The Matrix" movies haven't been released offline until now. Its animated characters illuminate the same sort of bleak realities that Upton Sinclair did in "The Jungle," but they have something that most such exposes don't: witty humor. In one episode, for instance, Leo, the young pig who wonders if he is "the one," helps rescue "Moopheus," a trench-coat-clad cow who comes inches away from slaughterhouse knives. The "Meatrix" videos also direct viewers to a website, www.meatrix.com, which offers links to sites like www.sustainabletable.org that outline practical steps people can take to eat more healthfully and support more humane and environmentally friendly agriculture. Viewers might find such advice useful, because various studies—including one conducted by A.C. Nielsen in late 2006—have reported that while Americans increasingly recognize the moral and nutritional problems inherent in any fast food nation, they nevertheless feel powerless to address those problems in daily life.

Fast Food in a Faster Nation.

Author: Maximillian Hope from United States
28 November 2006

Director Richard Linklater has released another gem to add to the list of films that have made him the eclectic filmmaker he is today. Fast Food Nation, which accompanied Linklater's other film this year( A Scanner Darkly ) at the Cannes Film Festival is a very dialog driven film geared towards a realization or self-awareness geared primarily towards the American population. Also, a warning towards less westernized communities, Fast Food Nation puts the reality of modernization and personality loss into a very potent formula on-screen. The film centers on a large corporation that delivers fast-food quality at a fast-food price across the country. To mirror companies such as McDonalds, Wendy's, or Taco Bell, was the point of Fast Food Nation, and it does more as a film than Super Size Me did as a documentary.

Linklater has a very diverse palette to take from, much like Steven Soderbergh, whereas they can both do intellectual independent films, and then turn around and still make an enjoyable film with a higher budget. Linklater followed up his more mainstream films School of Rock and Bad News Bears, with this thought provoking , eye opening docudrama. As the film tries to open our eyes and ears to the screaming of today's youth it also speaks loudly about immigration, and the border patrol at the U.S. - Mexico border. This seems to be a trend this year, after the issue was covered in Babel, and in The Three Burials of Melquiadas Estrada.

It's frightening to see the chemicals the fast food companies pour into their foods, and the hormones and literal waste the meat packaging companies use and overlook while feeding the public. There are many gruesome scenes towards the end of the film, that might seem unnecessary to some, but are a clear message that needs to be told and seen. Fast Food Nation is a satirical, yet overtly realistic look at the capitalistic society we live in today. This bleak look at middle-America does shed some hope that there will be a better youth, and that through revolution something optimal will erupt. There are many gruesome scenes towards the end of the film, that might seem unnecessary to some, but are a clear message that needs to be told and seen. Fast Food Nation is a satirical, yet overtly realistic look at the capitalistic society we live in today. This bleak look at middle-America does shed some hope that there will be a better youth, and that through revolution something optimal will erupt.

Blah

Author: allycat4884 from Canada
9 April 2007

This movie was long, boring and Avril Lavinge was in it. So basically three of the worst things you can have in a movie. The only part that made me not want to eat fast food was when the kid from Little Miss Sunshine spit in the burger...other than that it was like "Oh, that sucks...but s*&t happens." Honestly, do people NOT know that the meat industry is like this? Do people really think that hamburgers just exist? The whole college revolutionaries were really hilarious. By hilarious I mean a huge joke. When they were trying to get the cows out of the field and then when the cows stayed the kids were all "Oh! they must love the food! It probably tastes better than grass!" News flash: Cows are some of the dumbest animals on the face of this earth. I bet they would eat a burger made of their mom and not even realize that it was not grass.

I wish I could go back in time and get the two hours back that I wasted watching this. What would I have done with them you ask? I would have gone to BK, got a value meal and watched The Departed for the 8th time. That's what.

A group of cows should gang up and f*** the director... he made them look bad.

Author: comedysportzmanager from United States
30 June 2008

Let me start by saying do not see this film. You'd be better off putting your face in a meat grinder, at least it would provide more entertainment and some kind of consistent plot. Also, What happened to Greg Kinnear???!? About 40 min before this grand flick is over, this great actor who starts off this movie disappears and is never heard from nor mentioned again. The movie continues to build momentum towards meat-related drama, starting with the perverted and drug abusing employees of the meat factory and ending with a glorious showdown of five straight minutes of watching the entire process of cattle being shot, slaughtered, drained, cut and processed. Don't forget the money shot of their fat and intestines spilling on the floor. It seems the director decided he wanted to go from being blatantly obvious, to just simply f***ing the images into your head. If you're looking for a movie with subtleties, watch The Sixth Sense. If you're looking for a movie about the terrors of fast food, watch Super Size Me. But for the love of beef-eaters and vegetarians alike, if you haven't already wasted your 2 hours of life, do not see this film.