IMDb > Driftwood (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Driftwood More at IMDbPro »

Surprised by this film.

Author: Zach Walker from United States
7 January 2007

I saw Driftwood Saturday at the Fango Weekend of Horrors. At first I thought Ullman would just pull off some low-end Disney acting, but he was actually very good. You can see a smoldering in his eyes that I didn't expect him to be able to emote at all. Also, he gets to use his real name for the credits in this movie, Raviv. The poster still shows Ricky though.

My expectations were low for Diamond Dallas Page, but he was good. Oddly, I thought the scenes in which Page didn't speak a lot were better than the ones in which he did. But if he can keep getting better than you never know.

Driftwood is NOTHING like 2001 Maniacs. I tried not to think about Maniacs when I went in to see this movie. I didn't need to bother. I wouldn't think Driftwood was by the same director as Maniacs if I had gone in blind. The movies are vastly different in approach and feel.

I have some fun facts for this movie I am afraid to put in here because they might mildly spoil the movie. I do suggest seeing Driftwood. A good ghost story with multi-layered social commentary. The acting is much better than I think most people expect from a B film so don't let that be a deterrent.

Very Good Low Budget Film

Author: Nightmare-Maker (evilashshotgun@yahoo.co.uk) from United Kingdom, Colchester.
17 November 2007

After just viewing the screener of DRIFTWOOD with a couple of mates, I was very impressed with this little known thriller. It had a pretty good storyline, a troubled teen, David, riddled over the guilt over his brothers death, he actually becomes obsessed with death. His misguided parents send him to DRIFTWOOD, an "Attitude adjustment camp for troubled youths" which is run by a sadistic Captain, played superbly by Diamond Dallas Page, and his brutal young henchmen. Once inside the camp he becomes haunted by a spirit named Jonathan, a former inmate who met a mysterious end, David has to unravel the mystery in order to free himself from the sadistic camp. Great acting from a bunch of relatively unknowns, and a great script make this one of the great finds of 2007, believe me if you like to sit and get stuck into a film, not expecting blood and guts, but a good suspense/mystery, this is a film you must watch. It reminded me a lot like STIR OF ECHOES. Strongly recommended 8/10

I Am Also Worthless

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 February 2009

After the death of his older rocker brother Dean of overdose, the rebel sixteen year-old David Forrester (Raviv Ullman) becomes bitter and obsessed with death, while grieving his brother. His parents decide to send him to Driftwood, a camp leaded by Captain Kennedy (Diamond Dallas Page) that promises to transform dysfunctional boys in men. David is lodged in the Level 1 and discovers that Captain uses brutality to control and modify the attitudes of the teenagers; further, that he uses the camp with the intention to make money in real state business. When David is haunted by the spirit of the Captain's nephew Jonathan (Connor Ross), who died in the swamp nearby Driftwood, he discovers a dark secret about his mates in Level 1 and the brutal Captain Kennedy.

"Driftwood" has a promising beginning, and the reformatory seems to be a teen version of "Prison Break" with corruption, sadism and brutality. However the plot is so absurd and ridiculous that, associated to the terrible acting, makes this movie completely worthless. Some reviews that give high ratings seem to be fake comments and published only to promote this weak movie and lure the readers. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Driftwood, o Reformatório" ("Driftwood, The Reformatory")

"Where boys become men."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
27 April 2008

~Spoiler~

Driftwood is Tim Sullivan's directorial follow-up to 2001 Maniacs; and the films couldn't be more different. Maniacs is a hoot of a horror film. Driftwood is a bit of a bore. It's not a terrible movie, it's just not exactly horror. The film takes place within the walls of Driftwood, a prison for troubled young men that masquerades as a reform school. The ghost of a dead "inmate" starts to visit David, the new arrival, and tries to get him to solve the mystery of his death. It favors drama a lot more than traditional scares. The ghost only pops up a few times to remind you what type of movie this is. If you took the ghost out, you might think you were watching an updated version of Sean Penn's Bad Boys. The "bad boys" of this film all do surprisingly well. The young actors were all cast well and the standout is the lead. He has that Gyllenhaal/Donnie Darko thing going on. Also of note, Diamond Dallas Page, while not the greatest actor, still has tremendous charisma as the "heel." He plays The Captain, the film's lead villain who runs Driftwood. I hope DDP continues to hone his craft as I'd like to see him in more things. All in all, Driftwood is a bit forgettable. On the other hand, it shows Tim Sullivan is trying to do different things within our genre.

this movie wasn't that bad

Author: glddraco666 from Seattle
24 December 2010

I really don't understand why people bashed this movie. Perhaps it wasn't a huge budget and not a huge amount of special effects. I think over all it was actually a decent movie. Sure it didn't have huge actors that were great but I feel the acting was very good for what they had. Now maybe it could have been better made. Some have criticized it for being unoriginal or formulaic but what is really? Most movies in general are based off another concept that has been done many times before.

Not every movie has to be a blockbuster for it to be a good movie in my opinion. Some moments were a little dull and were unbelievable but it wasn't completely unrealistic or unreasonable to just stretch your imagination some. After all its just a movie.

Some depth for a B movie

Author: Gatetraveler from United States
17 September 2009

I was a little apprehensive when I first saw the preview for this movie but it turned out to worth watching. David Forrester (Ricky Ullman) becomes obsessed with death after the over dose death of his rock star brother. His parents decide he needs to be a Driftwood a facility that is supposed to keep him out of Jail and straighten him out. In Driftwood He meets the usual cast of Characters The gangsta, the Ladies man, etc. He also meets Johnathan, a ghost who has a secret that could save them all.

The acting is a questionable at times but is due to many characters being one-dimensional stock characters. We learn during the movie David does not have a good relationship with his parent, and has unresolved guilt over his brothers death. We also learn Noah (Jeremy Lelliot) is here for being gay something the camp is supposed to cure you of. We also learn Noah and Jonathan were friends and he also wants his murder solved. It has a complete ending unlike some horror movies.

I wish they had spent more time on the dynamics of the relationships, and fewer 2 one-dimensional character otherwise it is worth watching. I think Ricky Ullman's acting is good, though his innocent look makes it difficult to see him as the brooding troubled teen (Remember this is Phil of the future from Disney). Diamond Dallas Paige gives a good performance as the greedy, sadistic warden of the facility, and Jeremy Lelliot is a bit underutilized as Noah.

Dread Central reviews Driftwood

Author: reelcobra-1 from Los Angeles
21 January 2007

Driftwood is probably the first indie horror movie for teens! The pacing of the film, coupled with the rock music found in each scene, will remind you of a theatrical release with a 12- to 18-year-old target market in mind. That would stick if there weren't a whole lot of cursing. Does that make it PG-13? When we discussed the film with director Tim Sullivan, he did drop the title The Outsiders from time to time, comparing his crew of boys to the now classic film cast. The comparison is definitely fair as the Driftwood crew deliver stellar performances that kept me in the moment by raising the level of reality every time they uttered a word. It's challenging enough to come up with a group of characters who are different enough to be individuals yet bond, however slightly, over a common situation. That is just step one. Next you have to cast people that can act for it to all be believable.

Driftwood is one part Holes, one part Cool Hand Luke, with a little dash of Stir of Echoes thrown in. The characters are engaging enough to make the time fly by. Tim Sullivan presents a story of desperation wrapped around a study in fear, whether that fear is of a physically imposing authority figure or a supernatural being. The walls of Driftwood hold more than one dark secret, but revealing them could mean the death to all who know. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Be sure to watch out for Driftwood when it comes to your town during its limited release and support well written, well executed independent movies! We need a lot more like them.

Not much of a fan

Author: khilari from London, England
22 September 2007

The movie clearly hits home with some people, but for me I'm afraid it missed the mark.

From the outset the acting appeared somewhat B-movie-like. Some characters overacted, the script felt unnatural and some of the lines spouted were just clichés from a phrase book.

The lead guy was OK - his acting was clearly what the producers spent their money on. By no means an Oscar-winning performance, he did grab the spotlight but only really thanks to the quite terrible acting around him.

The story is OK - that's all though, "ok". Not great, not inspiring. Nothing new. I only just made it to the end but constantly wished it could have been forwarded.

Seeing as most people here seemed to enjoy it, I can hardly tell you to stay away but it is in no way shape or form a great movie.

"Welcome to Driftwood... Where Boys Become Men"

Author: wannabkool_mate from United States
11 September 2009

When I watched "Driftwood" on the chiller channel... I promise you it... actually shocked from the very beginning... 'til the end! It was full of chills and thrills... I trust guys...I know what talking about... it actually scared at times here and there, everywhere... Call me weird(or not) horror films to my best interest...knowledge "DON'T SCARE ME AT ALL!" Anyway, for my own opinion , I thought this movie was pretty good (decent) with all those visual and special effects the crew put up were without a doubt awesome... even though, most of you wouldn't agree more or at all! It runs smooth, pretty fast, at times edgy,like any horror/ horror/thriller does. It also struck or actually shocked me (and/or again not) was towards middle to the end of the film (Driftwood) when David Forrester(Ricky Ullman)learns and find real truth was behind unexplained and "maybe, just maybe incidental" murder and a ghost of Jonathan, that kept haunting David in nightmarish forms of visions and preliminary dreams throughout middle to almost the end of Driftwood and the kid whom Captain Kennedy( Diamond Dallas Page) killed just for pleasure...? Or actually probably for a reason? Evidently and without a doubt or question not. He did it 'cause he wanted to get rid of him...SOMEHOW (AND...HE DID)...and then again he paid for what he's done by seeing the ghost Jonathan in David... Give it a try, take a look, you might like it!

Grade B-, B, or B+ the most is A- STARS 10 out of 10

Visit Driftwood for a real movie!

Author: davidhutch007 from Sheffield, England
25 November 2007

First let me compliment Tim Sullivan for making one of my favorite horror films, 2001 Maniacs, the film was funny and well Robert Englund, need we say anymore really? So after seeing Maniacs my next question was how would Tim follow the film up, the answer is Driftwood.

I'm not going to go into the story, thats what the plot outlines for, however what i will say is this is a really nice original horror film that stands out and brings a real smile to my face. Tim has crafted a film which is really about teen angst, how teens deal with that and how they're pressured by the people they are asked to respect, adults.

Ricky Ulman is brilliant, make no mistake he plays his role to the bitter end and never lets his grip on the material go. He brings a real gritty attitude that plays so well it almost feels like your watching real life, he really is that good.

Diamod Dallas Page also deserves a mention for playing the bad guy to the baddest of bad. He comes across as nice at first glance and then once he's crossed, he's total bad ass! Tim Sullivan has once again done it for me, he has written and directed a beautiful film that in my opinion should be seen by as many people as possible. The film plays out with such nice pace, a real good set of characters and a great amount of suspense created by our brilliant director! All i can say Tim is well done and make sure to keep making one of these types of film every so often because they really work! Overall there was nothing i really had a problem with, the acting, the writing, the directing, all of them were on par and certainly had an appeal where i couldn't be drawn away from the screen.

Please whatever you do, go and watch this film, its such a fantastic effort i couldn't help but in some way feel better for seeing it, it brought a real smile to my face and it takes some doing believe me.

So all i'll say is if your a lover of film, independent film then go and watch this, because the passion and the talent are all in abundance in this film. That is for sure!