IMDb > Chaos Theory (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Is This A Comedy Or Drama?

Author: Matt_Layden from Canada
13 February 2009

It is extremely hard to be able to blend two different genres together and pull it off. Evil Dead II did this with horror and comedy and In Bruges did this with action and comedy (yes Mark, I watched it a again and enjoyed it more the second time around). Now here comes Chaos Theory, which I thought was a comedy with bits of drama sprinkled through, something along the lines of Thank You For Smoking for instance. It's a story about a man who is so obsessed with time that he has to make sure every part of his day follows a specific routine which he has timed out on small cue cards. Something 'chaotic' happens and his life is turned upside down. He now lives his life in the moment. What I didn't expect was that the so called 'chaotic' thing that happens was actually a heart-breaking moment that I would never wish upon anybody.

It would help this film is people knew what they were getting themselves into. Chaos Theory does have some comedic elements in it, but it's mostly a drama. Those little comedic moments are so out of place, yet I still laughed at them. Which made watching this movie an awkward experience.

The cast holds up pretty well, including Ryan Reynolds as the lead and Stuart Townsend as his best buddy, whose name also happens to be buddy. Townsend plays his role at certain points at two polar opposites of the spectrum. A revelation happens to his character and the second half of the film he's completely different. I enjoyed his second half more because he became more likable and he actually had more to work with.

As the drama goes on and on, it becomes less and less heartbreaking because it's sways back and forth between comedy and drama. Reynolds is able to pull off both serious and funny very well, but I'm afraid he still isn't able to hold an entire film together. Sure he was good in Definitely Maybe, but he has three beautiful co-stars behind him, who at some times stole the light. A few more years down the road for this guy, then you'll see some amazing stuff, I'm sure.

The film screams as one of those films that no one knows about. Not too well made, and not horrible either. There are no moments of wow, this film really touched me, or any scenes that stand out in my mind days later. It's simply a competently made flick.

I can't recommend that you go out and rent this flick, but if it is on TV sit back and watch you, you will be surprised.

a quote that should be added.

Author: fairyfiaba from United States
29 June 2008

great movie. although a tad melancholy.

a section of quotes from the boat scene i feel should be added... so funny!

Frank: "oh, that went all the way through." (as he's looking down at the hole he accidentally just shot through the bottom of the boat.)

Buddy: "There, go ahead, commit suicide now." (after wrestling the rifle away from Frank and throwing it into the lake.)

Frank: "Suicide? You think I'm trying to commit suicide?"

Buddy: "Mmmm..yeah."

Frank: "You impossibly stupid man. Philandering, dumb... murder! Murder I'm trying to commit murder! You idiot!"

If you enjoy movies that involve laughter and tears, this is it.

Author: LFel84 from United States
8 May 2008

I saw this movie in the theaters about a month ago and even with the busted speaker that produced an annoying buzzing sound and the idiot who decided to show up on his death bed sneezing, hacking, and coughing throughout the entire film I STILL enjoyed it and so did the other people with me. As a girl I automatically have a soft spot for Ryan Reynolds, I want him and his amazing six pack to do well but all that aside this was a really good project he chose to do. Also that funny tall skinny blonde chick from scrubs is in the film and holds her own on the big screen. The movie is funny, but in a smart and heartwarming way, but not too heart warming and not too smart where you start thinking, "Wow that was such a cool thing to say. . . but nobody talks like that." It doesn't overstay its welcome and comes around full circle in its story without leaving you feeling unsatisfied. A must see whether you like Ryan and his beautiful six pack or not.

misleading high rating

Author: (tottenhamtillidie@gmail.com) from sacramento, ca
29 January 2009

my bad for taking IMDb scores too seriously and only a limited number of people have posted comments here and i'd like to inform people that its nowhere near as good as people are making it out to be. The film can't decide if its a comedy or a drama and with that sort of messy hybrid, you're not sure whether to laugh or empathize and the movie is quite short so characters are insufficiently developed before ryan reynolds misses his ferry and things start going off at a tangent for him. The plot twists are interesting enough to keep you involved in the movie but the ending is frankly ridiculous with what went on before as the producers obviously opted to play safe so as not to alienate anyone. Its not a bad film but it left an unsatisfactory taste in the mouth for me.

Blargh!

Author: brainsquish from United States
15 September 2008

It was all mushy it made me want to vomit! IMDb promised me it would be funny, well I guess if you thought Juno (also barf) was funny then maybe you'll find this one funny but overall I give it BARF out of 10. Well I guess most comedy-drama movies are barf but this one was kind of extra-barf. Yeah it had a few funny parts but overall it was way too mushy, by the end I felt like I had walked through a pool of mush and it was all stuck to me and I couldn't get it off. And what happened to Ryan Reynolds anyway? Didn't he used to be the funny guy with the "I don't take anything seriously" attitude? He should take a clue from Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey that no one wants to see funny actors do mushy or serious movies. Oh well. If you like those kinds of movies (mushy, barf movies) then you'll probably like this one. I don't, and that's why this one left me feeling sick.

Liked this positive film.

Author: Prabhakaran So (prabashalini@yahoo.com) from Chennai, India.
14 June 2008

This is 2008 and we start to see crisis everywhere. Economic crisis in US, food crisis all over the world affecting badly the third world countries, earth quake in China and the cyclone floods in Myanmar.

Chaos theory is a theory about highly unstable, dynamically changing complex systems. It says many of such complex random motions may have some identifiable patterns of behavior though they appear to be random. One real time example about this is the 'weather'. It appears randomly changing. But it is not. Lot of other initial factors those might have occurred quite a long time back(say 100 years) do affect the current weather. This is what I could understand from the detailed wikipedia article.

The movie is about a normal 9 - 5 office going family man(Ryan Renolds) who's life suddenly takes into wild turns and become chaotic. Though everything looked bad and led to a dead-end, he finds some light(initiator) and brings back his life and his town to some liveliness. The story is just that. But the meanings it convey is about taking life at odd times. The voice overs of Danny Devito were good. He also acted in this movie but I did not see his name in the star cast list. Ryan does fit perfectly into his role. And other characters too. The romance between Ryan and the shop counter girl(Emily) was indeed a lovable one. This movie also reveals me that lower and lower-middle class people's lives are same everywhere. No matter the country it is. It could be the richest America or Britain or any. Doesn't matter.

This movie is neither a tear-jerker nor a belly-aching comedy. Its a drama. If you like to see how people want to to go on with positive things with life then watch it.

Chaos Theory Movie Review

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from www.GoneWithTheTwins.com
15 March 2008

Chaos Theory doesn't have enough comedy to be a well-rounded comedy, nor does it have enough drama to be an adequately heavy-hitting drama. Instead, it chooses to blend those two genres, as well as throwing in scenes of tear-jerker romance, and the result is seemingly appropriate chaos. Ultimately, however, with a star like Ryan Reynolds, who seems suppressed with the overbearing drama in what should have been a solid comedy, Chaos Theory doesn't amount to much more than something to pass the time.

Frank Allen (Ryan Reynolds) lives life according to careful structure and planning out every minute of his day with note cards, which he writes for himself constantly. He's so successful at it, that he is an efficiency expert public speaker who lectures on multi-tasking and organization to crowds of uncaring business people.

His wife Susan (Emily Mortimer), becoming irked by his constant scribbling of notes, decides to set the clock back 10 minutes (described in the film as setting the clock forward) to give him some much-needed stress relief. However, her blunder causes him to miss the ferry that should have transported him to his presentation on time management. An hour behind schedule, he has ten too many drinks, and suddenly finds himself in the company of a home-wrecking seductress in his hotel room. When his wife calls to overhear a woman's voice, things go from bad to worse – especially when on his hurried trip home he gets in a car wreck with a pregnant woman, and is stuck helping deliver the child! A film about miscalculations and misunderstandings, Chaos Theory does have its moments of genuine laughs and realistic drama. But the two rarely blend seamlessly, and at the start the film is lighthearted and funny until it blatantly crashes into eye-opening drama, which abruptly changes the tone. Bits of comedy attempt to weasel itself into the now all-too-serious tragedies that continue to pile onto poor Frank, but the humor quickly becomes too little too late. Some of the events are traumatizing, while others are just silly, but most of all the unfortunate coincidences and exhaustive love triangle elements wear out the viewer, who can't picture Reynolds doing anything but Van Wilder vulgarity.

The characters often unrealistically restrain their use of abrasive language, and many of the plot devices, such as the index card ultimatum Frank presents at the beginning of the film, are terribly predictable. Emily Mortimer remains depressingly serious after the opening scene (in which she appears uncontrollably drunk) and the other supporting characters fail to emote anything remotely authentic. Reynolds juggles being a "creature of freedom" or a "monster of depression" as he adopts a lifestyle of embracing chance and whim, but he seems held back from his usual over-the-top comedy.

At one point Frank explains to his friend Buddy (Stuart Townsend) that all of the decisions he has made in his life, based on careful index-card outlining, were wrong. And that's how the audience feels about the progression of Chaos Theory's story, which jumps from mildly funny comedy to bleak drama, and never resembles the attentive construction that the title surely contrasts.

- Mike Massie