IMDb > Caffeine (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Caffeine More at IMDbPro »

Worth A Shot

Author: mansxu2 from United States
11 November 2008

This movie was really cute. It made me laugh out loud at some of the hilarious and sometimes ridiculous events that happened to people. Even though some of the things that took place were really giving me that "yeah right" feeling, it still portrayed that "it could happen" feeling as well. The acting is good - even though it was a bit odd to watch some American actors pull of a British accent - and the story line is interesting and keeps you hooked just to see what happens next. It's neat to see how all of the characters are connected through the café and how it impacts their lives. I would definitely recommend this for a late night or rainy Saturday afternoon movie!

Nice stage-like Brit comedy

Author: rooprect from New York City
31 January 2013

First of all, I have to come to the defence (spelled with a 'c') of the actors' British accents. Unless your name is Henry Higgins, I don't think you'll mind what you hear here. Now Keanu Reeves doing Shakespeare or Julia Roberts doing Mary Reilly, THOSE are bad accents. In "Caffeine" the two American fakers had me fooled enough to think they were actual Brits.

Now on to the movie. Like many good Brit comedies, the overall plot isn't as important as the witty criss-crossing of subplots. Like a clever stage play, that and some good acting is all you need. The whole story is set in a restaurant: the dining room, kitchen, and back balcony. Basically it's "a day in the life" of a bunch of oddball characters working and dining in a cafe.

The stories revolve mostly around romantic/sexual relationships and the absurd situations they create. Like a good Shakespearean romp... or the 70s sitcom "Three's Company", all the mayhem is the result of misunderstandings, awkwardness and overreactions. The film starts out somewhat tame, but as it progresses and we get to know each character, they seem to become increasingly insane. One of my fave segments was the meek vegetarian girl who was subjected to an excruciating blind date with a gun-toting macho man. By the time the movie is near its end, anything goes.

If you like dialogue-driven films that feel like plays, such as "Death at a Funeral" (original version 2007), "Le dîner de cons" (original version 1998), "My Tiny Universe" (2004), "Deathtrap" (1982) or even the classic "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" (1966), I think this movie will be worth your time.

Neither fish nor flesh nor film

Author: gloshpit from United Kingdom
26 January 2008

When the opening scene had two 'stoned' kids explaining in clumsy exposition just how stoned they were ("I am getting anxious! I am so stoned!") I feared that this would be a waste of money, especially given the quality of the trailers on the DVD. But although it's not brilliant, it's actually quite watchable.

The first thing I stated when it had finished was this wasn't really a movie per se, but more like an extended play for television. The style is very much like a theatre piece with a series of dialogues and subplots between sets of characters, leeching between groups at times. The acting was competent and the accents were quite convincing in the cases of Heigl and Suvari although no awards are likely to be won.

The problem I think many people will have is that it's marketed as a "hilarious" comedy, when it's not. It's an observational piece and a study in embarrassment, more along the same lines of The Office than blatant out-and-out comedy. Although it does have wit to it, this is not a comedic film and doesn't even *feel* like an actual film, so it's liable to confuse people. I doubt if I'd watch it again, but it was entertaining while it lasted and doesn't really deserve the lambasting some of the comments have given it.

Not Bad

Author: clare-141 from Australia
21 January 2007

I randomly saw this DVD on the shelf of my local video shop and decided to give it a go I was surprised. It is a movie that is based in one crazy day at a hip coffee shop in England. The story lines revolves around all aspects of the café the patrons the bosses and the managers you not only get to see the inner-workings of the café and the workers but you get to see private and some times hilarious and touching lives of the patrons. There are some moments that you wonder where is this going but once you get into the flow of the movie you really get hooked. Worth seeing, if you have some spare time, sometimes though the English accent of M.S gets a bit annoying but she does pull it of well.

Perfect with all its imperfections

Author: Kali Kartheiser (Arien_Kartheiser) from NY
10 January 2008

People compared this to Waiting, I beg to disagree, its most like "La cena" than any other movie, has really funny bits, and shows us different realities, and different relationships, and give us a lesson on acceptance and love. The acting is not worth of an award but if you have no further expectations, this movie is funny, witty and has this weird -yet- sweet twist at the end. I saw it because of Callum Blue who happens to be perfect as the tortured unfaithful boyfriend, you almost believe his pain, but who takes the scene is Rozz Witt's grandmother, she's just too funny for words. I thought that a movie with Mena Suvari after America Beauty wouldn't be good at all but I really liked.

There are some pervy things that made me think, that someone's normal is not the standard and that's good, otherwise life would be just boring.

its perfect for those days with friends or for yourself when all you need is to laugh at something that could happen to you.

Be Caffeine Free

Author: theprovinces-1 from United States
16 May 2008

If screenwriter Dean Craig was a friend of yours you'd be quite hard pressed to find something nice to say (because of course, you could never tell him the truth, which is that Caffeine is a pretty awful movie.

There is a reason why nearly everyone who's commented on the film makes reference to the bad British accents put on by the American actors, most notably Mena Suvari and Mark Pellegrino. What's truly frightening is that the IMDb references the latter as an acting teacher and his performance is the most over-the-top in a film full of forced situations and performances. And this includes Callum Blue who, while adorable, is playing his Mason from "Dead Like Me," which probably would've fine if he'd been given better lines (and situations).

Surprisingly, the most spot-on accent is done by one of the lesser-known actors, actor Mike Vogel (who Dean on "Grounded for Life"). Katherine Heigl's accent is actually not bad (and certainly far superior to Suvari's and Pellegrino's). Roz Witt's, too, is terrible. It was quite smart of Breckin Meyer to just be American.

It's the film's weakest element -- the idea of insisting it be set in a London restaurant, when it could be set anywhere, especially where the weaker American actors could focus on their performances rather than a wobbly accent. Repeatedly throwing in a "bloody," "shag," "knickers," "shat," or "fancy," just isn't enough to effectively establish this as London.

From the opening scene, it's obvious that this was filmed in Los Angeles. Every outdoor shot has the same two old-school Brit Taxi and Double Decker bus passing back and forth. All three vehicles are preserved like they've been borrowed from the Petersen (Car) Museum.

Ah, here's what you could say to Craig -- his actors are very attractive.

"… but they were twins! What was I supposed to do?!"

Author: mario_c from Porto, Portugal
29 April 2014

It's a little and simple movie entirely shot inside a coffee shop in London but it's quite entertaining and funny.

The plot is all about the crossed talks between the costumers and also the employees of the coffee shop and all type of hilarious and absurd situations happens! From the girl who broke up with her boyfriend because he had a threesome with two identical twin girls to the crazy old lady who is shooting a gun inside the bar!! Not to mention the story of the guy who dresses with his wife's underwear…

Well there are a lot of crazy stories in this film… It just proves one more time that each person is a book full of chapters and that everyone has his little secret written in one of those chapters… I appreciated this movie especially because of that and also because it crosses many characters, stories, funny and crazy moments in a simple and unpretentious way.

The cast is good and includes some known actors like Mena Suvari. It was nice to seeing her "practicing" her British accent… I enjoyed this film and I score it 7/10.

exercise

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
20 June 2013

nice. and chaotic.full of good intentions and noble desires but , in many parts, confuse and too strange to not be common. not the cast or the script saves this film. but the expectation of public. because it is not bad but seems be a collection of crumbs without becomes bread.this is basic sin. than - temptation to be original or a kind of Woody Allen films. nice actors, not very inspired humor, many links, couple problems, gay relation, friendship limits, first date, a strange old lady, coffee and escape from a bizarre circle. a lot of ingredients and not very tasty food. sure, it is not bad option for a Sunday evening.

A slight disappointment

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
16 September 2007

This film is about the chaotic events that happen in a day in a medium-sized London cafe.

Many have compared this film to "Waiting". I think this film focuses more on interpersonal relationships and emotional aspects following shocking revelations. It could have been a great film exploring such issues. However, the story is not so well written. There is too much jumping about from one character to another, making it slightly hard to follow, and decreases to coherence of the plot. It is not so much a comedy, as there are few funny moments. If it was not marketed as a comedy, then there would have been less disappointment.

Dull as ditch water

Author: two-robinsons from United Kingdom
11 October 2007

I'm still trying to work out how and indeed why this film was ever made. When will filmmakers understand that scripts featuring a variety of characters and hopefully a number of unifying themes are really difficult to pull off? Caffeine doesn't even come close to getting it right. To make matters worse as a comedy it is woefully unfunny to the point of painful.

In a nutshell, we're given access to a day in the 'zany' lives of the patrons and staff of the Black Cat Cafe. It's the usual stuff, someone's boyfriend has been cheating on them, someone's grandmother has gone doolally, someone else is waiting for a call from their agent, someone is on the blind date from hell when her ex turns up, someone else is revealed to be a transvestite. Someone turns out to be gay. Each story line plays out like a small sketch and appears to belong to a different film entirely as nothing seems to bind them together. Characters are so undeveloped it's impossible to work up anything approaching sympathy for them and their situations. Indeed characters like Tom the waiter don't even appear to have a back story. The fact it's set in London is incidental as apart from regular glimpses of the odd double decker bus and black cab, it could be anywhere. Even Rachel the owner of the cafe sounds northern.

Casting Katherine Heigel and Mena Suvari as Brits seems an odd decision as neither one had box office when this film was released and their attempts at the accent is woeful to say the least. Surely as London is known to be a cosmopolitan city it would have made more sense for them to be Americans? Sadly the basic idea is strong and in other hands Caffeine could have ended up being and entertaining and thought provoking rather than dull as ditch water.