IMDb > "The Unit" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Unit"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Unit" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Fired Up! -Please read- Military perspective

Author: gparreich from United States
27 September 2006

This is a very entertaining show. The writing is good, the characters are both interesting and multi-dimensional. The lighting and set design are very appropriate for a mainstream network series. Excellent use of steady-cam and "documentary style" camera work.

I respectfully disagree with some of the previous comments by my fellow veteran. I believe that he may not have had much contact with the spec ops community in his 10 year career.

We should remember that this is a television series- If the cameras rolled in the average combat spec ops unit, it *might* last a whole episode...*might*.

While the wives in this show do seem to be a very comely group, The same probably applies to the men- as is fitting for a cast of actors.

If anything, the actors seem a little young to be from the unit. The average age in Delta is over 30, minimum age to apply is 22. As far as out of shape, senior soldiers don't fit the 3% body fat runner look that many young garritroopers sport.

The tactics used by the actors would definitely be out of place even in an infantry unit- but I have trained with enough operators to know that they can look sloppy and distracted (unmilitary) a fraction of a second before they tear through the target. I saw one step into a room, draw, engage 5 targets, and holster in 3 seconds - Then almost get tossed off the course for not wearing a regulation helmet.

While the dialog is not what we would hear in the field (too many syllables and too few profanities), it is intended to help the viewer understand and experience the flow of tension and action- which I feel it dies well.

While the homes are officer and senior NCO grade, it is very similar to the newer housing at Ft. Bragg (Where the unit it most expressly not stationed).

Getting better as it goes!

Author: JohnCrow from Albany, NY, United States
2 April 2006

I saw the commercials for "The Unit", and was intrigued. Then I started watching this show, and it just seems to be getting better as it goes. It kind of reminds me of a Tom Clancy novel, and the last episode I saw had three seemingly separate plot lines going, which eventually became tied together, two of them ended up being parts of the same main story line. Besides the military thrills from the precision excellence of this black-ops unit (which doesn't exist, of course), there are always personal stories and lots of aspects of this show that most anybody should be able to enjoy. I love it when the good guys kick the bad guys collective asses! Well written, and good acting all around. Interesting plot twists, I was caught by surprise more then a few times. There are some really great lines, and it is so much more than just a shoot-em-up action show. My emotions were running wild. I hope this show stays around for years to come!

just another day at the office

Author: gurghi-2 from Lexington, Kentucky
12 April 2007

As of this writing, the best show on television that no one talks about. Is it easier to overlook military-themed shows, being as their viewership is made up of middle America? But The Unit is neither a gussied-up procedural (NCIS) nor a rousing commercial (Jag), and it betrays almost no political agenda. It keeps to these guys, their job, and their families, all facing challenges that are alternately far beyond and extremely similar to those of our own. Like most Mamet, it is characterized not so much by distinctive characters as it filled with plain ol' drama. The show is as clipped, professional, and dutiful as its characters— no 'special-episodes', no sweeps- month stunts.

In a refreshing change of pace from other current (and more-heralded) shows, it's not serialized; every episode does stand alone, though the show also rewards faithful viewership. I love me some 'Lost', but there's plenty to slog through while waiting for the good stuff. The Unit gives no such quarter; it may not enrapture or surprise, but you can count on it to do its job.

Please enjoy the show

Author: nalrud from United States
15 May 2007

I might not be the expert on Special Forces but I do have some military experience. The show is a situational show not a documentary so the authors tried and in my opinion succeeded in illuminating some sides of this mostly secretive part of the military. Some situational mistakes are laughable (black man in Belorussia would stand out as the palm tree in the Antarctica) and language accents are horrific at times but at the end the show is highly watchable and propagates the thought that in real situation members of the real Unit will be up to the task. I think the effort of the cast on portraying the military should be respected and military consultants on the show are respected and well know men. It was enormously satisfying to see the show of this caliber on regular TV. I am looking forward to the 3rd season

Excellent show, worth watching. All of my family enjoy it, even the boys in the army.

Author: dorsai1 from Australia
11 October 2006

I quite enjoyed the first episode in this new series. One of the things i liked was the fact that they show the families and the impact on them as well as the fun and games that the men have. I look forward to the future episodes where they develop the characters. While I was not surprised by the plot line, I thought that it was time that more information about the worlds special forces was released to the public in a format to entertain as well as educate. While the production have taken some liberties to keep us entertained and interested, its better to have it on the Television than yet another aspect of military life ignored as if it doesn't exist. While the people who are in the special forces will probably spot numerous flaws, we, the public do not have their in-depth knowledge. Some of the public will complain because its not fully of 24/7 action, looks at more than death and actually might make us think.

Watch the series and enjoy it. I have and am going to continue to watch it.

Action, Human Interactions, Explosions

Author: secyatlaw from United States
11 December 2006

What else could a girl ask for! Great special effects; the actors behave like real people and not cardboard cut-outs. Each character has his or her own very human and very real virtues and shortcomings. A great show with a great cast. The show lets the actors explore the ranges of behaviors one person can experience, from the noble to the questionable, all in preserving the integrity of the team's mission/objective.

No Stepford Wives, either; each female lead is showcased with the same range of emotions, goals, and intense level of commitment to their spouses and "The Unit" itself.

Robert Patrick as their CO is a crafty, sage manipulator and, sometimes, a magician, to protect his teams out there in harm's way.

Dennis Haysbert plays the team captain large and in charge.

Scott Foley is the team's rookie, but not without his own survival skills and tactics.

Desperate Housewives meets The Rat Patrol

Author: (blambert@co.marin.ca.us) from United States
9 November 2006

I'm a big fan of Dennis Haysbert so I bought the first season having never seen the show before. The first episode had a couple of scenes that almost killed all my enthusiasm for it, but I hung with it; got into the characters and enjoyed the whole season. It' takes some getting used to watching the episodes cut back and forth to the soldiers on their missions and their wives back home; that just isn't how "war movies" are done my sexist old brain says. But while the action scenes are really well done the "home stories" are surprisingly compelling too. As someone who grew up on 'Combat", 'The Rat Patrol', 'Twelve O'Clock High' I am surprised I liked this new show as much as I did. Well worth purchasing the first season.

Mamet saves the day.

Author: Emmett Fleming from Virginia Beach, United States
21 July 2006

David Mamet, one of the best writers today, made a series that expresses his talent as one of the best writer/directors! This series has a story that can keep giving, time and time again.

Especially a show that really expresses a dramatic POV of a US solider. The fact that it shows a secret agency that really does this adds more charm and appeal to this show.

To me, you can't go wrong with anything that David Mamet has done! Anyone who says this show is poorly done hasn't seen it!

Denis Haysbert really adds a cool quality that fans will love. And for those you are Michael Mann fans find enjoyment in this little treasure, as well.

I love the way the story moves quickly from one action to the other, classic Mamet. 10 out of 10!

All in one

Author: Allen Cheng from Fiji
13 July 2009

The Unit is a one of the kind show far as i know. It does not only look at the special forces operatives lives but what revolves around them. This I understand placed carefully into themes that everyone can learn and at the same entertain themselves from this action drama thriller TV series even my friends who are not fans action or the military agree too. And this is way I like watching "the unit".

1> Family, the operatives work is not only thing affected from their actions but their families too. This common link bring "the unit family" together and they help each other deal with things that comes on the way from family matters to the operators work.

2>Friendship / comradeship, if all things don't work and goes to hell at least they got each others back to achieve their objectives and get the hell out.

3> Sacrifice, a common military thing, these operatives go out in long or short mission away from their loved ones and comforts of home and risk their lives at the same time. Their family has to endure the absence of their sons, husbands and fathers.

4> Educational, is something i liked about the unit not only to get entertained also to educate on survival techniques,improvising and being resourceful.

Days Of Our Lives - Military Version

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
15 February 2007

Basically, I enjoyed this first season which I saw in its entirety over a six-day span, watching the DVD of the first season. Thus, I got to know all these characters pretty quickly! I got annoyed at a few of them but overall was pleased because almost every episode was entertaining, and, hey, that's the name of the game. I would have preferred they had stuck to the military action stories each week and skipped the soap operas, but I understand they want more than just a male audience. Also, lulls were needed to break up the intense action here and there.

All the characters, male and female, were interesting. Of the males, I had no problem with Dennis Haysbert ("Jonas Blane") in the lead role. His character dominated the action stories. His deep voice and authoritative manner made him a very believable person as the leader of these missions The other, younger guys are fine, too. Their spouses run the gamut from experienced military wives to very young newlywed-rookies. Two of the three major female characters, however, had serious flaws: "Tiffy" as an adulterer, and "Molly" as a frequent liar. Speaking of moral issues, what turned me off more than anything was the commander "Col. Tom Ryan" (Robert Patrick) of this elite unit being the one having the affair with"Tiffy!" Hey, I know everyone is human and subject to many daily sins but this seemed out of place and out of character with most everything else presented here.

Oh, well, for the most part, the characters in this military show are honorable, brave and, hopefully by the second season a little better people, morally-speaking. Kudos to the show's director and producer for making the action scenes very realistic. I am not surprised this show was successful and hope it has many years of entertaining us.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]