IMDb > "Supernatural" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Supernatural"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Supernatural" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 57:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

My new favorite show

Author: ringwench from Canada
13 October 2005

I am completely in love with this show.

I had barely heard about this show before it aired. I think I remember it being briefly mentioned in an article about new fall shows, but as soon as I read that it was going to be airing on the WB, I didn't give it a second thought.

After the first episode aired, a friend of mine who shares a lot of my same tastes in TV told me that I should check it out. I was skeptical, but it was being rerun in a couple of days so figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a chance.

And boy am I ever glad I did! This show is everything I've ever wanted in a TV show. It's suspenseful, the characters have depth, it's funny without being silly, it has a touch of campyness (but not enough to be ridiculous). Not to mention that the two leads are quite easy on the eyes! The strongest element of the show by far is the two leads, Jared Padalecki (Sam) and the phenomenal Jensen Ackles (Dean--who is easily one of the most compelling and likable characters I've seen on TV in a long time). They play brothers who had been separated for a few years when the search for their missing father brings them back together. They grew up hunting supernatural beings with their father so they travel across the country fighting evil things that get in their way.

Dean and Sam have excellent on screen chemistry and a dynamic that really works for a show like this. It's important for a show like this, with only two leads (and really no supporting characters yet) that the two leads be interesting and complex enough both together and on their own to keep people interested in the show. The creators have hit the ball out of the park with Dean and Sam.

Dean and Sam each bring their own strengths and weaknesses and each have their own crosses to bear. Dean still remembers his mother (who is shown in a flashback being brutally murdered by an unknown evil force) who died when he was a small child so he understands the reasoning behind his father's crusade. Sam is haunted by the death of his girlfriend (coincidentally--or not--killed in the exact same manner as their mother) which was the catalyst for him joining Dean in the search for their father, in the hopes that Dad has found out something more about whatever killed the most important women in his life.

Every episode has a "Evil-Thing-of-the-Week" so to speak which the boys must discover and figure out how to kill. Most of these things spring from myths or urban legends (ie. the wendigo, Bloody Mary).

I was very pleasantly surprised with this show, and after only five episodes, I have to say it has surpassed the many other shows I enjoy and is now #1 on my list of favorite current TV shows.

It has a nice old school X-Files feel to it (not surprising, since several people who worked on X-Files created and write for this show), which I absolutely love, as X-Files is definitely my all time favorite show.

If you like the paranormal and want to see great characters you can really care about, check out "Supernatural", I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Amazing, for seasons 1-5, but fairly poor for the rest.

Author: user-196-766417
30 January 2015

Seasons 1-5 of 'Supernatural' were brilliant.

Although many of season 1's episodes are "hit-and-miss" and its overarching storyline is over-simplistic, the suspense, horror and urban lore makes this show unique and addictive. The plot and writing just get better and better in the next few seasons, with hints and clues that keep you hooked and gradually reveal a clever, wonderfully crafted underlying conspiracy.

The writers' attention to lore and their respectful and interesting interpretation of Judaeo-Christian mythology (in seasons 4&5) makes the content of 'Supernatural' incredibly fascinating.

Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) are complex, well- written, likable leads. Even the supporting characters - John (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), Bobby (Jim Beaver), Ellen (Samantha Ferris) and Jo (Alona Tal) are written with depth. Villains such as Meg (Nicki Aycox & Rachel Miner), Crowley (Mark Sheppard), Azazel (Frederic Lehne) and Alastair (Christopher Heyerdahl) are hauntingly chilling characters. And then there's fan favourite Castiel (Misha Collins), who undergoes an almost flawless development arc. Credit goes to all of these actors for portraying their characters so skilfully and realistically.

However, after the massive climax of the season 5 finale, the show just seems washed-out and bland. The overarching story lines are all over the place - first there's Eve, and Castiel betraying the brothers, then the Leviathans and Metatron and the Angel War. The massive discrepancy in the feel of these seasons makes it seem that they're set in completely different universes.

The mythology, especially that of the angels, is not being treated respectfully any more, especially in seasons 9-10. They are no longer proud, unbending warriors of Heaven; they've been dumbed down to one-dimensional, unintelligent, over-exaggerated, almost childish people. In most episodes the 'monster of the week' reflects the writing team's lack of depth and research.

Every episode seems to follow the same overused structure - initial death scene, investigation, death of the monster, and then a long, dramatic conversation between the brothers in the car. During these talks the brothers constantly lie to each other and suffer from massive guilt trips and while this was heartrending the first time, after the endless repetitions it's just become cringeworthy and boring. The character of Crowley, too, has become dull and uninteresting after six seasons without development.

Granted, there are a few good episodes and characters in seasons 6- 10. Kevin (Osric Chau), Charlie (Felicia Day) and Garth (DJ Qualls) are likable, unlikely heroes, while Metatron (Curtis Armstrong) and Rowena (Ruth Connell) make interesting villains. Castiel's backstory and an insight into Bobby's regular life are interesting, and there are several standalone monster-of-the-week episodes that are better than the rest.

Overall, 'Supernatural' used to be brilliant, but its overused tropes and clichés, its lacklustre storytelling and overdramatic overtones mean that it is only a shadow of its former grandeur. If you enjoy urban legends, horror, suspense and mystery, go for seasons 1-5, because they are excellent. Its creator, Eric Kripke, intended it to stop after season 5 but sadly it was continued and desecrated so that CW could milk as much money out of it as possible.

American folktales and urban legends

Author: celticrose-1 (celticrose@hotmail.com) from United States
20 September 2005

I liked this show and I disagree slightly with the person who says they need to come up with original "ghosts". All of these are things that are rooted in folklore and urban legends. I think it's interesting to see how they'll explore these. Some of this is familiar yes but I'm drawn to see how they learn about each "creature" and the best way to overcome whatever they come across. It's a neat show that explores some of America's famous legends with a duo of brothers who are searching for their father and the "thing" that killed their mother. It would be neat for it to come up with new creatures but to explore the well known ones is a good way to start the season, to slowly introduce people to the otherworldly aspects of America. I recommend this show for anyone who enjoys supernatural tales and folklore.

A Perfect Show-Supernatural sends thrills and chills

Author: somme22 from United States
9 May 2006

SUPERNATURAL is a fantastic show that gives fans thrills and chills every episode, and it also delivers an interesting story line that captures the viewer and hooks them for the next episode. The main characters, Dean and Sam Winchester, are as different as night and day but they are united by family loyalty and the goal of vanquishing the demon that murdered their mom. They are joined by their dad, a man who had devoted his life to killing demons and searching for the killer of his wife and putting an end once and for all to the horrors that plague mankind.

I really enjoy the plot lines that the show delivers. All the ghosts, demons, vampires-they are all characters that push the brothers to the limits and test their endurance and loyalties. Every SUPERNATURAL episode has allowed me to see character development within the Winchester team.

The show knows how to grab viewers attentions. The show plays out the Winchester vendetta well and intermixes it with other events and problems. The show has also created very likable characters in the Winchesters. The creators and writers have made sure that people relate to Dean and Sam, and they have made them complex and intriguing.

SUPERNATURAL is a great show that hopefully will be on TV for a long time. Every episode offers interesting plots and characters. That is why I hope that the Winchester clan continues hunting ghosts and saving lives for many years to come.

A future cult classic , spot on acting and writing

Author: thewhiteladyofrohan from England
11 May 2006

A great show that makes up for the loss of a number of greats. The TV seemed incredibly dull following the loss of x-files, Buffy, angel and dark angel. Only Charmed remained and lets face it thats really not been up to it's one brilliant standard. The supernatural (no pun intended) and sci-fi fans were running out of things to watch.

Thankfully along came Supernatural.

It has the x-files mystery to it , with the hot young characters of Buffy and Angel, with the emotional curiosity edge of Dark Angel all mixed together. The acting and the writing is spot on. The show has the perfect balance of supernatural and relationship elements.

Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles have finally escaped they're supporting roles they so brilliantly performed in Gilmore Girls and Dark Angel. They get to prove how well they can act and play the brothers brilliantly. The show has started great and will no doubt become another cult classic, lets hope it gets a number of seasons to give it the credit it deserves. It's definitely one to watch and I certainly recommend it to all fans of any of the above shows.

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
19 April 2010

I have been a fan of 'Supernatural' for 5 years now and the series is still as awesome as it first started. It is about two brothers, Sam Winchester and Dean Winchester's journey to find their father in the first season. From there it goes through fighting with the 'yellow-eyed demon' to Dean going to hell in the third season and then my most favourite season 4 when Castiel enters. Castiel passes through every demon shackle spell and drawings in the whole building and comes to Dean to say 'I am Castiel, I am an Angel of the Lord'. You wouldn't believe the chills that gave me, the hair on my skin stood up. The 5th season is about the impending Apocalypse, the battle between good and evil with Earth as their war field. The atmosphere this show has is downright chilling and it compels the viewer to get hooked.

Sam and Dean are contrasting characters. Sam is the younger brother of Dean. He is calm, innocent and good-hearted. But, some situations make him the bad guy. Dean is the cool one, he kicks back on the couch with a beer in one hand and a hot chick in the other hand and seemingly doesn't give a damn if the world ends or not. He is the guy who takes the risks. They con people, do credit card scams and cheat at pool to pay for their food and shelter. But despite their differences, the brothers have an unbreakable bond between them and they will fight till death for the safety of each other. 'Safety' being not going to hell after they die. This is what makes them so great, their chemistry is there for everyone to see. Angel Castiel is an excellent addition from the 4th season, he made the show so much more awesome than it already was. The characters make you care for them so much that you don't want to miss a single moment of their journey.

Dean is a vessel of archangel Michael and Sam is the vessel of the fallen angel, Lucifer. So, now every demon hunter in the country want Sam dead, before he can accept Lucifer's offer to take over Sam's body. There are also many allies for the brothers as the series continues. This is a very different show from others as it deals with a different demon every episode and the main story also continues. You never get bored as the special effects are awesome and even the actors who play the demons are very good.

The show isn't all gloom and doom. In fact, it has many humorous moments. Also it doesn't hurt when you have two good actors who are also good-looking. I haven't seen X-files as I was just a kid back when it ended, so I don't have a yardstick to compare this show to, as many of the IMDb users here seem to compare to. Therefore, I think this is the best supernatural show ever that I have seen. The strong point of the show is also the visual imagery which is a treat for the viewers and the background score. Also it gives real legend stories every episode, like the bloody mary, vampires, zombies, hookman, ghost insects, scarecrows, evil children, basically every legend and scary story you have ever heard and not heard. The car, 1970's Chevy Impala is very cool.

Buy the DVD's if you still haven't seen the show, as each episode is exciting. There is always something new brought to the table by the excellent screenwriters. Why are you still reading my comment, go and watch Supernatural, The Most Thrilling, Awesome and Coolest Show Ever :)

Fantastic! Has me hooked! And the guys aren't that bad to look at either...

Author: aussiechic_92 from Townsville, Australia
19 March 2006

Thrilling moments, freaky visual effects, quick wit and one-liners, gripping story-line, oh-so-sexy men (drool), what's not to love about the Supernatural phenomenon that has hit full force? We follow the Winchester brothers, Sam and Dean (Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles) on their hunt of all supernatural things, their chase of their elusive father, and their quest for truth about what killed their Mum and Sam's girlfriend. It's riveting T.V, and has a massive fan base, with more getting hooked each Monday (or Tuesday, for Americans). The acting is awesome, and Jared and Jensen aren't too shabby in the looks department. Okay, I lie, Jensen is the hottest thing ever. And Jared is close behind. You truly get sucked into this world so similar to ours, yet so different in comparison. After all, haven't you ever had the feeling that some things out there aren't exactly what one would call normal? Tuesday mornings at school are bustling, everyone chatting about what happened, theories swapped, debates on who's hotter (I barrack for Jensen), discussions on small details, laughter at little one-liners that has everyone in hysterics... Supernatural really has gripped the world. Whether you watch it for the guys, for the humour, for the paranormal insight, for the laughter, for the suspense, or just for the amazing storyline, Supernatural is the best there is to see.

Barely worth watching now.

Author: imisstbc from Finland
10 December 2013

What started out as an amazing, well written story and funny/cool characters is slowing going worse and worse. I personally loved the first 3 seasons, but after that it just started to get repetitive. For me it's starting to get to the point where I barely can bother watching it anymore. There's just too much unneeded drama, stupid plot-twists, and boring story. Angles and demons were interesting for that one season but now they're pushing 9th and its still about them. What happened to all the vampires, ghouls, ghosts, and other creatures? Why can't they go back to basics, at least a little more often than now. I can't stand the demon- angle fight anymore.

Supernatural

Author: Calista White from United States
10 May 2006

I love this show! It's the only one I watch on a weekly basis and I tape it if I can't be home when it's on TV. I really hope there's a second season :-) I'm crossing my fingers...I'm curious to see if they can come up with more nifty legends and myths that actually do exist in folklore. The cinematography and special effects are believable. They've taken a bunch of local legends and myths and made them as real as they can possibly be without seeming fake. And the car...oh, the car. I want that car. And then there's the eye candy. That's wonderful too, but to be honest, I'm more into the story than I am into which young whippersnapper is hotter than the other. All in all, very cool and very well done.

May Contain Spoilers -- Love/Hate Relationship

Author: Catastrophic Overload from Canada
27 February 2013

Don't let my rating discourage, I do... like the show, it definitely has it's moments, however that can be swung the other way. Originality is key, which this show does at times have. The part where they seem to fail for me is the repetition. Copying other shows, their own patterns... (don't get me wrong, the wayward son montages we've grown to expect and love are epicly constructed and shouldn't change) however, one of the brothers dying every season is getting old. Shocking the first time, shocking the second, but to continue the 3rd-7th time... is over-done. I'd personally like to see them change up the story telling, so that you'd have to watch every episode in the season, in order in order for the finale to actually make sense. As I said to a friend last week, the problem for this show for me is, you can literally skip almost 85% of the season and just watch 4 episodes for the storyline. (2 premiers, 2 finales) and the rest just doesn't matter. And really, stop killing people and bringing them back, it's tedious! Sam, Dean, Castiel... are they cats or something? *sigh* BTW: Castiel + Crowley ftw. >_> seriously, stop recycling your work already =/

Page 2 of 57:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]