IMDb > "Night Stalker" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Night Stalker"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Night Stalker" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Never Given A Chance

Author: rockchick9 from United States
16 June 2007

ABC had too high of expectations for this show. By pitted it against CSI on Thursday night, which is now occupied by Grey's Anatomy, they put a bullet in the back of the show. It went against titans, expected to become the cult classic like the original, and lost.

This show was not supposed to be the original, as people often forget. The new, re-imagined, and more understandable Night Stalker had dozens of great qualities about it. From the cast to the cinematography to the production team, if given the appropriate time to gain its footing it would've become great. Not all shows were as popular as they are now including Law & Order, Seinfeld and the X-Files, but were given a chance.

Which was what this series should've been given. It does have fans who still fight for it and will continue to fight even when we should move on. In the end, we have the DVD to tide us over. But that doesn't mend the wound of negligence.

If you have a chance, check this show and see if you don't love it by the second or third episode.

ABC Night Stalker ( new series)

Author: jwoods3 from United Kingdom
13 February 2007

Hello, can someone convince those people at ABC that Night Stalker, maybe with the odd tweak here and there, could be the best series they have ever produced. After a few episodes they would have had an army of followers clamouring for them.

ABC killed the goose that laid the golden egg. I have only seen a few episodes, they were relegated to cable early in the morning, not a good time for people to watch such quality. The theme music alone deserves a chapter to be written praising it. It has happened a few times before, in the past, that good television series have been axed by incompetents in order to get attention and explain their jobs; this is too much. To kill off this series is tantamount to throw away good money into the river. When one has a good idea stick to it! Most of all do not immediately place the first episode against solid series like CSI, let the viewers savour it first by allocating it to a safer slot. They will come back for more and more as time goes by. By the way, "what" are those people at ABC??

night stalker is excellent

Author: gothmetaller from Romania
14 October 2005

OK let me tell u the old night stalker was nothing special. i mean the idea was great but... the acting was mediocre @ best. it was nothing 2 cheer about. thats the reason I'm glad they redid it...good plot & great actors. I've been a Stuart Townsend fan since i 1st saw him in queen of the damned. he was perfect 2 play the role of Kolchak & the ideas that come 2 him seem something much more likely 2 come 2 a younger man than a man of his successors age. I'm rather glad they brought him down 2 a roughly 33-34 yr old age. a lot easier 2 believe. the episodes that i have seen (& I've watched the show faithfully since it 1st came out) were well-written and well-acted. any person who does not like this show should be institutionalized. even tho i really do think Townsend should have tried less 2 sound like an American & try more to sound like the Irishman he really is, this show is an excellent piece of cinematography. wicked beyond belief.

A Nice Try But No Cigar. Still Worth a Look.

Author: Jack Hendrix from United States
24 November 2006

"Night Stalker" intends to update the popular horror series by giving the show a dark, brooding atmosphere. Produced by Frank Spotniz ("The X-Files"), NS feels like a light version of X-Files (without the sci-fi elements) and "MilleniuM" (another series by the X-Files producer Chris Carter). The episodes are ritualistic and a little gruesome (the network censors probably had a field day neutering this in the editing room) which may have partly been responsible for its demise since it was on Disney (ABC). The show is basically a "monster of the week" format.

Stuart Townsend stars as Carl Kolchak. The updated Kolchak has been given a Mulder-ish past where he has a dark secret that he hopes to solve and overcome. Gabrielle Union is Perry Reed, a senior reporter for the same paper, who starts out as a skeptical rival but quickly becomes his skeptical partner. See a pattern forming? Mulder and Scully anyone? Along with a third younger partner, they inject themselves into supernatural cases while Kolchak tries to find a connection to his own dilemma. Cotter Smith is Tony Vincenzo, Kolchak's boss and editor.

On the plus side, this show was a welcome sight for fans of X-FIles style genre TV ("XFiles" producer Chris Carter heavily based his popular series on the Night Stalker series). It's dark and atmospheric and there are plenty of familiar character actors from Carter's two most popular series. The stories could easily have fit into the last two XF seasons, especially with Agent Monica Reyes. Similar to "Supernatural" in some ways.

On the negative side, though the plots were interesting, the execution was choppy and the show relied too much on the darkness and shadows that made Carter's series so spooky. Many of the episodes don't make much sense. As if parts of the script were erased and they just filmed what they had. The comic elements of the Kolchak/Vincenzo relationship are gone. Where they used to bicker and argue back and forth in the 70s series, now they just brood at each other. Townsend was a poor choice for Kolchak. Im not big on remakes and Im glad they didn't try to recapture the personality of the original Kolchak. Darren MacGavin's Kolchak was a casual, outgoing, stumbling slob of a reporter whose open mind enabled him to solve supernatural cases. Any attempt to copy that would be seen as just that: an unoriginal copy of a great TV character. But Townsend does nothing with this role. His performance is bland and uninteresting. He just stands there looking like a bored mannequin. Gabrielle Union is a beautiful woman, I fall in love with in everything I've seen her in but here she's miscast. I appreciate the producers trying to create a different look for the show but this should have been much better.

Again on the plus side, the complete series/season 1 is on now DVD and among the extras is four unaired episodes, script summaries for episodes never produced, deleted scenes and commentaries. It's still well worth a look.

Amazing Show

Author: john doe from NYC, NY
11 February 2008

I cannot believe the commenter's who put this show down. Look, the original Night Stalker was fun, but lets face it, it was campy and silly. This Night Stalker is brilliant, engaging, believable, and best of all, scary.

"What's the frequency Kolchak" is a perfect example of this. Made you think, freaked you out, it had a lot going for it. I am amazed that the writers were able to pull off a show that could suspend my disbelief. Especially in light of the crap put out by the "X-files". This was an incredible show, a pity it had to get canceled. I think they could have found a viewer base if they just had more time.

Ah well...

-ron

Excellent series

Author: mjvacco from United States
13 December 2006

Excellent show, so much more - more modernized compared to the OLDER series - back in the day. Good story lines, your never left behind or left predictable. A lot of Competiveness leading those in dangerous situations, for the sake of....the truth & prove it. Not easy. Stuart Townsend is a great, he's a reporter who brings mystery when he's on the screen (a little reckless, but you know he believes & so will you) Gabriel Union plays his rival, (who shoots straight from the hip)who wants to trust him, but just cant grip all the supernatural occurrence's this show brings(kind of similar to the x-files(which made it famous & millions as well)you know the story - Scully is always fighting Mulder with his far fetched ideas of the supernatural) This is a great show with good acting, but it just hasn't gotten the proper publicity it deserves to have.

Americans love to be scared

Author: lonewolfdagaz from United States
30 November 2006

It hooked me. I had to watch more and when I did, I was glad I did. I confess that the first time I watched, it was purely out of curiosity. Having grown up with the original show, I could not resist the nostalgic draw of hearing it was back and seeing what they had done with it. I just had to see it. I was one of the few that appreciated the homage to the original character by having him digitally inserted into the show at one point and even felt a bit of pride that they went to such trouble to do so. I found myself liking the show because of such things almost instantly.

I then was impressed by the show on its own merit very quickly. It departed from the original format without question, but made very clear it was worthy of watching. Not only was it interesting and had the classic "neat spooky stuff", but it had plot twists and storyline that kept you watching. It also had enough intelligence in the writing that you didn't feel like it was campy and childish. In a time when shows like CSI are top billing, this kind of show was ranking right up there with writing that was suspenseful and well thought out. It kept you guessing. In this day, when an audience can say, "Wow, I didn't see that one coming," you know you have done well.

Studio executives don't want to hear this kind of praise though. It is nice, but it doesn't pad the bottom line. Fine, here is something for their pockets to listen to then: Right now people are hungry for being scared. They want things that are spooky and go bump in the night. We watch movies like SAW 5 and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 7 and have a morbid fascination with CSI shows like there is no stopping us. You have a your foot in the door with a sure thing here. The old name got you in the door, so don't let this go. Make it better than ever. Figure out where to take it with the writers for another couple of seasons and run with it and you'll make tons of cash. People want this. Scare them and not in a Buffy kind of way. Supernatural is going there too, but in a different way. You have an almost X-files approach here and you should exploit it to the fullest. People want to be scared and have a fixation on death and love being afraid. They also need to know that there are some people out there who are just as afraid as the rest of us, but still are willing to risk it all to save the world, so bring on the dark heroes. You have Dirty Harry with a camera and a pen chasing monsters and half of the ghosts are in his own closet. This is good stuff and as close as you can expect to get to the flavor of the original without feeling like it is a rip-off. The only thing you risk is writer burn out as they continue to reach for bigger and better things each week, but since when did that ever stop a series? You should be good for at least another season or two and by then maybe even a movie or two. Come on, think big and go for the money while spoiling us with what we want...more Night Stalker.

An Awesome remake

Author: ed-doyle from United States
12 September 2006

Yes this wasn't anything like the original.. It's a bit darker (quite a bit) unfortunately the original (although dear to my heart) wouldn't play quite as well in today's setting. I watched the entire series straight through after I found it available in itunes. Unfortunately, I've not seen anything for a season 2.. I've the sinking feeling they cancelled this gem. I hope not. If you like the original, and don't mind the liberties they needed to take with this one to make it contemporary. You won't be disappointed. (They of course have a walkon with Darrin McGavin). I truly hope they have this series continue.

As far as the characters go, I think they found a good mix.. they sort of set up a Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane and Clarke Kent type triad, but it's entertaining as opposed to stale.

Very,very good

Author: kllj-2 from United States
20 August 2006

I wasn't all that crazy about the new Night Stalker the first time I saw it because I still had the original with Darren Mac. lodged in my head. But once I gave it a chance to live on its own, I loved it. The skepticism bit is a little much at times. Give the guy a break will you? The thing that always annoyed me about 'The X Files' was Scully's constant skepticism. You would think after all the weird things she had been through she would start believing a little bit. What was she, headless? I love Phillip Glass's theme music and the other composers' music. I'm a Phillip Glass fan anyway. I've just started trying to find the soundtrack of the show, but so far haven't had much luck. I hope one of the other TV networks or cable will pick up Night Stalker and continue it with new episodes. After all, All in the Family didn't do well in the ratings at first either and it ended up not only becoming popular, but changed television.

I don't know what happened with ABC

Author: nysurfa1717 from United States
9 July 2006

i first noticed a new series of Night Stalker was coming out through i tunes and i was bored so i decided to download the pilot episode. after that i was officially hooked on the show i don't know y it was canceled. it drew me and many other of my friends in well and was a good twist of the older night stalker i give this series a 10 without a doubt and also hope that this review contributes to the show coming back 2 the air or at least ABC to release the last 2 episodes of this awesome show. i honestly don't know why ABC canceled it at least finish the season. also if my review wasn't enough look at the 200+ reviews begging to get this show back on (i tunes)

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]