The Loop (TV Series 2006–2007) Poster

(2006–2007)

28 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Has great potential
whatisserton20 March 2006
This has some excellent potential and reminds me a little of arrested development. the characters are quirky and the introductions with the freeze frame and their own theme was great. I loved the boss the way he manages to alienate his employees without making them hate him totally.

What's good is it's not a comedy program that contains a laugh track. Away to watch episode two but really it looks good enough from the pilot to get my attention.

I'd recommend everyone to give it a go.

And as for one of the other comments guys who insists that the characters are badly acted I disagree plus Mimi rogers is great!
29 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great
tree311126 March 2006
Freaking awesome show. Very classic Fox-like show. Reminds me of the great shows on fox: Simpson's, Married with children, Malcolm in the middle, That 70's show etc. Love the sayings they make up in the show - find myself using them way too much. Always seems like Sam can't get it right, lol, showing up to work with a partially shaved head or a drawn on bra because of the night before's fun. And his clueless boss, funny! Watch it with an open mind, you'll love it. Can't wait for the next episode. Really hope Fox keeps this one, they haven't had a great track record of keeping good shows lately.
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dynamite!
godogg2 April 2006
This show is a riot. The jokes are great (even if they are, at times, predictable), the characters are likable, the writing is solid, the girls are hot, and the situations are inventive. There are tons of supporting characters that could easily be ignored each episode, but they all get a couple jokes (the Secretary, the Boss, the Blonde, the Brother, The Older Woman, Ms. Right.) The show revels in its archetypes.

The style of humor is very college-y (lots of being drunk jokes), and as such, will probably be accepted by college students and recent graduates who have just entered the workforce (since that's what the protagonist is)

I highly recommend this show to all college students or anyone who vividly remembers entering the workforce. I also recommend everyone else give it a shot.
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Fresh Take on Sitcoms
stsully3 May 2006
The Loop is a show about a recent college graduate, Sam, hired by a failing airline company trying to survive in the low-cost airline era. Because of his college thesis about the company, which is supposed to have been very insightful, he is given a high-ranking executive position. Meanwhile, he lives at home with his loser brother, Sully, and two very attractive women, one of whom, Piper, is a student and the other, Lizzy, a bartender. From this simple setting, a very original comedy follows.

Each episode is pretty atomic, with the only important continuing plot line being Sam's hidden love for Piper. This plot line involves the usual sitcom stuff, like Sam trying to impress her or help her deal with the problems of her long distance relationship with her boyfriend. Other plot lines specific to individual episodes usually concern some problem Sam is confronted with at work, or problems with work or love that one of the other people Sam lives with are having. Sounds real funny and original, huh? Though the plots in this show are not necessarily unique or hilarious, this show is still very funny. The humor comes from the dialog and performance of the actors, which on the whole are fantastic. Russ and Meryl, Sam's bosses, are really spectacular, as is Sully, his brother. The show is essentially about Sam, a relatively grounded straight character, interacting with some unusual people and trying to begin life after college. The show seems geared towards 18-30 year olds, and many other people will find it very funny. I think the reviews dogging the show for its lack of originality, poor acting, and low brow humor just don't get what the show is supposed to be; I'm 23, and everyone I know who watches it likes it. It is definitely worth watching if Fox picks it up for another season, which hopefully will happen due to the good ratings the show got from coming after American Idol. Overall, I highly recommend it, and compare it to a Seinfeld built for 20-somethings. It is by no means at the level of Seinfeld in terms of greatness, but the style of the show is similar in that it depends less on the plot and more on the characters and comments they make. If you like Seinfeld, Arrested Development, or Curb Your Enthusiam, you should check out The Loop.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best show out.
poulosm13 April 2006
I don't want to give any spoilers but this is the funniest show I've seen in a while. The entire cast is hilarious. The "Release the Beast" or ranch episode had me rolling on the floor. Mimi Rogers plays a sexually aggressive middle aged female executive and it seems to me the only time she opens her beautiful mouth is to deliver some of the best one liners on TV. Philip Baker Hall's character is awesome. I loved it when he was attacked by the dog. I'm not sure where I've seen Sully before but he and the entire cast are top notch. This show has a Scrubs like way for pulling away and injecting comments for explanation or effect. I love the theme song and all the music in the show is fantastic. It's hard to believe this show is so polished at such an early stage. I have DirecTivo and I watch each episode at least 3 times.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Best New shows
illg6 April 2006
I never was into sitcoms in a big way but this show is great. Fast snappy dialog, and hilarious situations. Sarah Mason is the perfect ditsy blond (hot) and they always find some premise to get her to do a table dance. Bret Harrison plays the first of a group of buddies to get a "real" job, although you can not really count his brother Sully (Eric Christian Olsen)in that group because he will never get a real job , but he has tried several , making sandwiches on site, dog sitter. But the best is Sam's superior Mimi Rogers who is constantly making suggestive remarks to Sam , " Let's see how many times 25 goes into 40". Not sure who plays Sam's receptionist but she always gets off a great shot at the fact she is stuck in a job she is overqualified for.Co-created, co-executive produced and co-written by "South Park" writer Pam Brady and former "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" Will Gluck . Directed by Betty Thomas who brought The Brady Bunch to the big screen . Give it a try ! ************** Flash ! Flash The Loop Season 2 starts June 5/07 YEAH !***
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What's this guy talking about?
jonny2820 April 2006
NO WAY this show sucks. I don't know what the guy before me is talking about, but this is one of the best new shows I've seen in a while. It reminds me of a lot of other comedies, like the randomness of Family Guy, the nothingness of Seinfeld, and quirkiness of Scrubs. It's fresh and funny. It also has a young cast which is a good place to start. I find that a lot of new shows with established actors or has-beens usually flop. Unknowns and young actors are the best for new shows. I know the actors in "The Loop" have had a few parts between the 4 of them, but this could really establish each of them as household names (just like That 70's show, Friends, and numerous other shows before them). Bottom line, the last person to post a review about "the Loop" definitely does not represent the majority of viewers, especially not me.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Retooled to death
javajoe9611 June 2007
I love this show. I watched every episode last year. I bought the DVDs. And I tune into to watch tonight and I see for some reason you have retooled this great show. And you have taken what made it work and ruined it. You took one of the best aspects of the show away which was the 4 friends. Sam, Sully, Lizzy and Piper. I love the other characters as well, but they are good in small dozes like Derek, Darcy and even Sully. It is like the show lost some of its family and everyone else is trying to hard to fill in. It is overdose. While things are funny in small dozes when you are exposed to it all the time it goes from funny to annoying. I was so looking forward to the return of this show. So please bring back the charm. Even if you could not fit Piper into the show at least bring Lizzy back. But I loved those girls. They brought the fun. The show was about Sam trying to live his business life and handle his personal life and friends as well. That was the charm. And that great dog as well.

I hope the network (FOX) forced the writers to do this and the writers did not willingly do this to the show. I will give the show a couple more episodes before I give up, but tonight's episodes were bad. I made a big deal out of the show returning tonight and had people over and I felt like a fool, because no one was laughing except 2-3 times. I apologized to them and said I don't know what happened. And about 10 minutes into the episode I realized they were not going to show Piper or Lizzy and this was no longer a must see TV comedy.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Funny, Well Written, Great Cast
genboyx29 August 2006
I am very choosy (OK, picky) about what TV shows I'll waste my time on. When I ran across The Loop, I was stopped in my channel surfing tracks. It was so funny and engaging.

Of course, I also used to love Duet (remember that one?).

I feel sad The Loop was canceled. The situations were funny, the dialog was funny, the writing seemed to be excellent.

The producers did a nice job of casting the acting team. They have an automatic chemistry with each other. And they all get into their parts so well that I have to say their acting is perfect for the show. If you can find it on DVD, grab it.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
funny
BETHLAND_PRODUCTIONS25 December 2006
I love the wackiness of this 22 min. slice of FUN! The cast is perfect & Mimi Rodgers really stands out as bit of a twisted mentor to the new young airline exec. The female roommates and the brother's hi-jinx balance out the "serious" side of Sam's life. Plus the opening theme song is the quirkiest since "Pee-Wee's Playhouse"! I downloaded it and played at least a hundred times last summer. The spots Sully gets Sam into will leave you laughing out loud. Can't wait for this mid-season replacement to return. I used to live in Chicago and it is a kick to see my old apartment building in the opening credits. I also used to work in the airline industry and I'm pretty sure some of our board meetings and executive decisions went about as well as the ones portrayed in this comedy.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this