IMDb > "Kitchen Confidential" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Kitchen Confidential"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Kitchen Confidential" More at IMDbPro »

Way better than expected. Good TV.

Author: cynmack from United States
25 June 2005

I was horrified when I heard of plans to turn Tony Bourdain's excellent book into a TV series. But I just saw a preview and this is pretty good. Not as cool as Tony just being Tony; but a well done show. Not stupid and sitcomy with a laugh track. It's a bit cleaned up from the book, but I do think it keeps the same feel. Not quite as gritty, but good. I laughed out loud more than once. Great supporting cast. How can you go wrong with Xander from Buffy, Harold from Harold and Kumar, Frank Langella and Jamie King? Excellent pairing with Arrested Development, but I'm afraid this show is just a bit too smart for Network TV. Might be more at home on FX. But I loved it.

What a great show!

Author: sandkids3 from United States
6 October 2005

I recently saw the pilot of this show with the expectations of another lame show that Fox put out to fill a time slot. However, within the first few minutes of the show I became hooked. This ensemble cast is amazing and I love all the characters and stories that this show has to offer. I've never seen a show with a better set of actors who have such an interesting interaction with one another. The teamwork on this show is incredible and these characters together just give off such a wonderful vibe. This show is definitely original and has a pleasantly fresh ora about it. Unfortunately this show is underrated with low ratings. Trust me people, give this show a chance! It has such potential!

Quality television

Author: Scott (scott.m.hathaway@gmail.com) from Greensboro, N.C.
27 September 2005

A statement previously thought to be an oxymoron, Kitchen Confidential raises the bell curve for quality television. With no inkling of what the show is about, I watched the series premiere beginning to end, commercials and all, and was delighted with it through the credits. The show is handled with a directorial craftsmanship superb for television. Actors are kept within their boundaries, dialogue is quick but not rushed, and characters are at least likable. The exposition was presented neatly in the first block and gave sufficient personality to each character. A flair for stylish editing and freeze frames is arranged perfectly, and other technical qualities such as lighting, sets, and extras heighten the enjoyability of this show. As a whole, I am excited about watching upcoming episodes and seeing how the show progresses. Kitchen Confidential is a well balanced show that will be a serious contender for the Primetime viewing audience.

Too bad it got canceled

Author: grumpel7 from Canada
17 November 2005

I watched Kitchen Confidential and How I Met Your Mother side by side (taping one, watching the other), and I do not understand how How I Met Your Mother can be considered the better of the two unless some serious finagling is happening in the background. Really too bad, since it's actually a funny sitcom and happening in a kitchen - something that rarely happens and something I did not expect at all. I almost forgot that this was based on the real Anthony Bourdain - the main actor is very sexy and very cute. The storyline about the famous chef who wants to eat himself to death (played by John Laroquette) was the best one so far. Too bad major networks don't have the time anymore to give a rookie sitcom some time to develop an audience.

The best comedy I have watched in years!

Author: MissMax from United States
23 December 2005

This is the funniest show I have seen in years. Each character and situation funnier than the next. The cast is fantastic, the writing is superb so I guess that is why it was canceled? It is rare that an ensemble cast works so well with one another like they do here. I watched How I Met Your Mother which is in the opposing time slot, and I have to say it was just not funny at all! I had to change the channel after the first 5 minutes because I was just bored. On the contrary I can't stop laughing out loud throughout KC. My great hope is that FOX will just juggle their time schedule a little better and fit this outrageously funny and clever show back in somehow.

Kitchen Confidential is great!

Author: lusciousxander from United States
29 September 2005

I've watched the two episodes of Kitchen Confidential, and I gotta admit that am so not disappointed!

The show is wonderful! KC has a ton of potential, the cast are charming, the lead is so cute and interesting. Bradley Cooper did a nice job in the 1st and 2nd episodes and I think this is the first time I enjoy the lead character. Plus new storyline, sharp wit, and no freaking laugh track!

I'm in for Nick Brendon (Xander), and I have to say that Seth is nothing like Xander I guess, he's way more secure and flirts better with women. Jack is an interesting character and I'm so enjoying Steve's character.

Can't wait for the 3rd episode!!

Much better than expected

Author: mrfrane from Astoria
27 September 2005

Comedy that isn't sitcom is a plus, in my book. In other words, a comedy that doesn't rely on gags, or on one-liners, or on snappy repartee. I started watching with very low expectations because I love Anthony Bourdain and couldn't imagine the show would capture anything of him. I'm still not sure it does, but it's entertaining on its own.

(I also tuned in because it's one of the three shows appearing with Buffy veterans; this one is by far the best of the three. Allison Hannigan's is a stinker and "Bones" isn't likely to last. It's also one of several shows with veterans from "Freaks & Geeks".) I'm intrigued by the characters and by the background of NYC restaurants. It's not yet "great TV" but there's enough going on to give it a chance to develop. Of course, there's also an inordinate amount of cleavage; I have to wonder how many NY restaurants can sport so much exposed bosom at one time.

Brilliant & Hilarious

Author: laurakyla from United Kingdom
7 July 2006

Kitchen confidential is so funny.

A nice engaging break from drama's, not only does it have the gorgeous Bradley Cooper in it as head chef. (check out alias season 1,2 and parts of 4&5) Also has Buffy favourite Nick Brendon as pastry chef completely inept with women.

It is a hilarious look at the restaurant business is new york. The episodes are engaging to watch as individual's or as a complete series. Needs to come out on DVD.

Bradley Cooper also gets his shirt off more times than i thought possible (not that i'm complaining, Its amazing that he has time to cook which strangely enough you don't see him do that often.

The series focuses more on the relationship between the chefs and their day to day lives.

'Kitchen Confidential' the best show ever!!!

Author: matthewm-10 from Melbourne, Australia
23 March 2006

A couple of months back i left work to pursue a different career. I wasn't working for a couple of weeks because i didn't know what to do. I then adapted to my new life on the couch and the TV was my new best friend, because i had no job. I then came across a very interesting show (Kitchen Confidential) i thought it was just another cooking show. (I'm sooooooo over them) But this show was different, Kitchen Confidential inspired me to get back into cooking and now i'm working in one of Melbourne's finest restaurant. I have specifically asked for Fridays off so i am able to enjoy the life story of Jack Bourdain and his team at Nolita. I just want to thank the show, because if it wasn't for it i still would of been glued on the couch lying in front of the TV, instead i'm back out there enjoying the life of a chef. maybe one day i might even be a good as Jack, not only in cooking but with the ladies!!

Channel 7 Australia

Author: rtraub from Canada
25 April 2006

It seems that channel 7 in Australia is showing the rest of the episodes that were not aired after Fox cancelled the show in the USA.

I guess they have a better sense of humor than Fox.

I hope that when they are all aired they put them on DVD for those of us who loved the show. I have seen some of the episodes that were not aired and they were hilarious. There is so much reality cr*p on TV it really upsets me when a network doesn't give a truly smart comedy to gain an audience before pulling it off the air. I understand that Seinfeld almost met the same fate but thank G*d it was allowed to continue to become one of the best comedies ever!!