IMDb > "How I Met Your Mother" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"How I Met Your Mother"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"How I Met Your Mother" More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 34: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Why I hate this show

Author: VbeCZ from Czech Republic
21 May 2014

Everyone compares this show with Friends, some say it's even better than Friends. I say I love Friends and I really, really hate this show. I hate its darkish interiors (why is every room in the show so depressive?), I hate most of the characters (Ted is the worst), I hate Barney's clichés (how could this awkward guy become one of the most quoted characters ever?) and since fifth season I hate it all as it's not funny, its repetitive and…it's just as bad as it could be. I really tried to be more open minded and gave it a second chance (mainly due to the lately lack of sitcoms in my collection), but I just don't work. The fact that it is one of the best rated shows urges me even more to be a bit extreme in its rating, otherwise I would consider it as just one of the 5 stars, completely forgettable attempt to reach the heights of Friends.

This is really just a thank you..

Author: scar-face-099 from Sri Lanka
31 March 2014

Thank you HIMYM. I know this sounds silly, but I have been a different person thanks to this show. I actually didn't start watching it till it was well into its 4th season. But this show gave me so much life lessons. Like Ted, love has been a hard and very tricky situation for me. I relate to his character so much that sometimes the pain that he suffers with some of his relationships, namely the one with Robin. This show is something very close to me and I will be sad when it all ends tonight. Thank you for 9 years of great quotes and moments, I will cherish them and like Ted himself, will try to live and do things my own way. Whether it will work now or far later on!:

This show makes me smile

Author: muffinpancake from United States
18 March 2008

So it isn't completely original, it's sometimes predictable, and at times the characters are a little cheesy. But this show is great because it is endearing. The characters are people you might know, or people you would want to know: a romantic nerdish guy, an adorable couple who are best friends, an independent GenX girl, and a womanizing goof-ball who ultimately is very loyal to his friends. It's often hilarious, usually revolving around Barney's antics, but it also pays close attention to certain details of life and makes you truly feel a closeness to the characters. It's a winning show, and I hope that it continues for a while longer yet.

Great ensemble cast led by two TV icons!!

Author: bobm5508 from United States
28 April 2007

I watched this show a few times last year and found it amusing and likably acted. I wasn't a regular viewer, but enjoyed the episodes I watched. I have caught on during a rerun cycle this season and now have 8PM Monday set aside. A recent rerun entitled "Slap Bet" may have been the funniest 1/2 hour sitcom I have ever seen. Laugh out loud funny scenes, created by hysterical writing (not mean spirited sniping) and perfectly performed by all cast members. The "pop" video portion was even a pretty catchy tune!!

That is the show's strong suit, the ensemble cast performs with ease and chemistry rivaling two great NBC shows that will remain nameless. The casting of TV icons like Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan is inspired and the fellow cast members are totally up to speed. Cobie Smulders, who I had never seen before, is drop dead gorgeous (was that really her singing in the video!?), and may not even be the "Mother" in question. This show has years of fun to go.

If you don't mind poking fun at our Canadian friends ("the 80's didn't get to Canada until '93"), catch the "Slap Bet" episode on CBS.com, and join the fun ride.

Very touching , funny & real environment thats what American youth is going through

Author: aniwantsyou from India
6 April 2010

All the lead characters - Josh Radnor,Jason Segel,Cobie Smulders,Neil Patrick Harris,Alyson Hannigan have very well timing amongst them and.Specially Alyson Hannigan has a talent and improving with each episode.Neil Patrick Harris is a gemini person who is perfect cast for the character of Barney Stinson.Gemini, the sign of the Twins, is dual-natured, elusive, complex and contradictory thus Neil Patrick Harris has given his full output to it.

I saw whole series on DVD and eager to find out who's teds destiny I give it 09 out of 10 as u can get addicted to it....

Just don't lose chance to watch it :)

Its amazing, until the end.

Author: George Atkinson from london
1 April 2014

How I met your mother is a wonderful journey, you get to know these beautiful characters and one man's journey to find his perfect soul mate. You get invested in this t.v. show.

So when they end it so horrifically badly I feel betrayed and hurt, how dare these writers write something as awful as that, I will not spoil it for people who have not seen it, but it is better to not watch the last episode, live in the ignorant bliss, and to those who have not started the journey, don't start it, because you will have to watch the last episode, and that will leave you like I feel now, hurt and betrayed.

pffft friends...no this show is better.

Author: jessijon from United States
13 February 2006

i am really disappointed to hear so many people compare this show to friends. whats up with that??? while friends wasn't the worst show ever made... it is nothing compared to this show. this show is brilliant. the humor is far more intelligent. "Friends" just makes fun of unrealistically stupid people. "How I met your mother" has characters that are not only believable but that also have very relatable every day problems. and while the problems are common ones, the writers skillfully show the humor of life. i believe this show is more comparable to the genius of Seinfeld, because although the characters of the two shows are not at all alike, this show highlights interpersonal conflicts in a way that almost no other show has done.and the casting! omg how brilliant to get Neil patrick harris and bob sagot! two icons of the 20 something generation! Niel patrick harris has some serious talent for acting like an ass! please watch this show because if they replace it with another reality show about celebrity tricks, i think i might hurl my television out the window!

The most overrated Show on the Planet!

Author: abbasi-sameer from Pakistan
24 October 2011

The only reason I had to registry with IMDb and write this review is that this show has got better ratings then "Friends" and even "Everybody Loves Raymond". Knowing this kills me. This show has seldom made me or my friends laugh and is about smiling sometimes only where as Friends and Everybody loves Raymond will make you laugh multiple times in every episode.

If you are a mature audience and have a good sense of humor, please do not waste your time on this show which I stopped watching after the forth season.

Apart from character Barney, this show has really got nothing.

Good but not Great

Author: fireflame94 from New Zealand
11 August 2009

How I met your Mother is a show of variable quality with episodes ranging from hilarious to poor. For example Slap Bet, Stuff, Third Wheel and I'm not that Guy are episodes that actually have me constantly laughing with the laugh track, instead of sometimes.

Barney is the best character on the show. This is because he has actually been developing from sex-crazed nutcase to a more normal person with feelings, though he keeps them for the most part hidden. He is constantly funny with his laws, rules, bets and his perception of the world. Though every joke of his is a one-liner or built from a one-liner they are more hit than miss because of the strong delivery.

To contrast Robin and Ted are weak characters. Ted, though the narrator and main character, is simply a frustrating character. He is constantly annoying and though that can sometimes be funny for the most part it is just annoying to the viewer. The other problem with Ted is that though he has supposedly changed throughout the four years of the show so he can become the man who met their mother he really has changed very little as a person, though in season 3 there was some good development it was quickly thrown away.

Robin is just a character which really has very little grounding in reality. She has too many things which make her completely unrelatable to anybody. Though that is good for T.V. shows that position in this show is filled by Barney, who is simply a better rounded character and is also funny.

Marshall and Lily are solid characters. They have both had good and bad moments and don't quite feel real or very interesting because of their stupid habits and cutesy relationship, though Marshall in particular is very funny with a mixture of one-liners and running gags.

All in all the show is a good sitcom, able to make me laugh now and then through any episode but simply has a lack of subtle jokes and very little development which handicap it from being a great show.

A smarter and hipper "Friends" for the next generation

Author: hdpro02 from Lakes Region, NH USA
17 March 2007

"How I Met Your Mother" has all the makings of a generational hit show. It has a well balanced cast of characters sure to appeal to a wide range of viewers and an interesting mix of plot lines to keep the audience intrigued. The general premise of the show, a love story in reverse, is a truly novel and interesting take on the stereotypical network sitcom. Ted's journey to find the love of his life and get married has an interesting type of suspense, we already know he is married and has children 25 years in the future, so we have to wonder, with each new girl he meets, is she the one, much as Ted is doing himself. The added dimension of Robin being dangled in front of both Ted and the audience leads us through a series of cleverly crafted ups and downs with their relationship, always wanting them to end up together, much as we all wanted Ross and Rachel to end up together in the 90's, but knowing they can not if Robin is the children's "Aunt Robin".

Much as we all enjoyed following the life and times of everyone's favorite "Friends" through the 90's, and before them, going somewhere everybody knows your name with "Cheers", the characters of "How I Met Your Mother" will draw you in and leaving you craving more every time. The true brilliance of the concept is that the story is perfect to run either as long or as short as the ratings will allow, we have no idea when Ted actually met his wife, and the kids are early to mid teens 25 years in the future, giving the show the possibility of running 2 years or 10, it all depends on how long we enjoy the show and keep it alive.

Finally, a truly biased note here. In this day and age of more, faster, better, it is a wonderful feeling to find a show that is devoted to such a bohemian concept as true love. I personally revel in following the ups and downs of Ted's heart fluctuations and can very well relate. Its nice to find a show that can be this great combination of funny, romantic and serious all without missing a beat. I recommend a good healthy dose of "How I Met Your Mother" for anyone with a broken heart, a healing heart, a completed heart, or pretty much anyone with any type of heart (which is pretty much everyone but Barney), trust me, it will do you a world of good.