IMDb > "How I Met Your Mother" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"How I Met Your Mother"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"How I Met Your Mother" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 31: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Absolutely surreal, complete closure in every way.

Author: carly zane from United States
1 April 2014

This was literally the most perfect ending to anything ever. It was incredibly surreal the way it skipped through time. All these people who hate the writers, hate the ending, say they are disappointed, they do not have the imagination to enjoy the ending. Yes, the writers could have done the arbitrary. They could have made Robin and Barney happy ever after. They could have gotten through every issue they had and stayed through the long haul. But who in the world is interested in a love where they have to "get through?" They could have made the mother and Ted grow old and gray together, but people die. Ted was always Robin's fallback, her consolation prize. It was absolutely beautiful that in the end, Robin was Ted's second choice, his golden consolation prize. Nobody saw it coming. And no matter what kind of fan you are, I feel your desires were adequately served. Ted found his true love, the mother of his children, his wife. T.M. was the woman who he was looking for. He got to have his adventures with her. With her, he got everything he ever wanted. He got all the connection and overzealous acts of love with her. And yet, he still ended up with a wonderful woman who loved him, and a woman that some of us always half-hoped he would end up with. I don't want to say the deeper meaning to this story was to touch our hearts and teach us a loving lesson. This is a television program that we all enjoyed and looked forward to, but some of the reviewers need to stop making it a personal disappointment. The show was always wonderful, and the ending was the best part. Talk about closure. It went from a funny, lighthearted, impossibly funny show to a touching and serious story about life changes. Robin and Barney ended because sometimes, lust and trying is not enough. The mother died because sometimes pure love is definitely enough, but loved ones die, and not always at the right time. But to the writers, you could not have done it better. The only thing I am disappointed with is that the show had to end, but that was one hell of a way to go out. Bravo!

used to be good

Author: soger from Romania
28 March 2013

I have to completely agree with the review written before me. This show used to be very good, very funny and unique, but that's all in the past. I've just watched season 8 episode 20 and it was god-awful. A pathetic attempt to fill another 20 minutes or so. And they say there will be a ninth season! Do I really want to watch that? Well, I probably will, but only because otherwise I just wasted countless hours of my life. But you can be damn sure I won't re-watch the show. 20 years from now I will still remember the great shows like Friends, Seinfeld but HIMYM will be just another blurry, fading memory of a show with a really long title that started out good, but the writers didn't know when to stop. I BEG YOU, PLEASE STOP DRAGGING OUT THE STORY!

Update: Now it's S09E11 and I've just watched another god awful procrastinating episode. Thank god this is the last season, with only 3 more episodes to go.

It's such a joy to watch this show consistently hit all the right notes. Do not let TV's best studio-audience sitcom pass you by.

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
9 February 2008

Network: CBS; Genre: Sitcom; Content Rating: TV-PG (some language, suggested adult & sexual content); Available: DVD; Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Seasons Reviewed: 3 seasons

Just when you think the sitcom might just roll over and die, it gets a spark of ingenuity from the most unlikely of places. Rarely have I seen a show with such a deceptively lame concept come off so fresh and imaginative in it's execution.

Set in the future, "How I Met Your Mother" is told entirely in flashback, as a father Ted (voiced by an unseen, uncredited Bob Saget) tells his children a lengthy story that answers the title question. The answer to how he met their mother is found somewhere in the New York misadventures of a 20-something Ted Mosby (Josh Rader) and his closest friends: long-time couple Marshall (Jason Segel, "Freaks and Geeks") and Lilly (Alyson Hannigan), Canadian local news anchor and Ted's love interest, Robin (Cobie Smulders) and Barney (Neil Patrick Harris), a professional bachelor who has turned dating and life management into a suit-wearing contact sport in which he reins as the king of awesome.

What starts out as yet another sitcom about hipster singles in New York with a useless gimmick evolves in the 2nd season into a modest little sitcom masterpiece. Creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas pull the flashback format in every imaginable direction. Flashbacks inside of flashbacks and the true story content censored for Ted's children are just a few of the tricks Bays & Thomas have up their sleeve for this nonlinear story.

Also around season 2, somewhere around neo-classic episodes like "Ted Mosby, Architect" and the brilliant "Slap Bet", the cast gets comfortable with each other and tightens into one of those classically solid ensembles. All 5 of the leads hold up their end of the tent. While I choke with disgust on the ever-popular and wildly misused critic's adjective "lovable" (usually reserved only for Judd Apatow shows) they are all pretty darn endearing. Attention goes to Rader for taking what could have been another boring straight man role and giving him all the colorful idiosyncrasies usually afforded to supporting characters. If anyone thinks Robin is the weak link, that gets blown out of the water with spectacular bit of less-than-flattering comedy Smulders performs at the end of "Slap Bet" - to date the show's single funniest moment.

But the gold metal (and a few deserving Emmy nominations) should go to Neil Patrick Harris who aggressively cements Barney Stinson as the character he will be remembered for - instead of that other one. Barney is wacky, to be sure, filled with funny one-liners and quotable catchphrases, with a mushy humanity underneath. From bits where Barney explains the "hot/crazy line" or "the platinum rule" or doing a David Letterman top 10 about the names he would have called a moving van, it's a miracle that Barney doesn't become a black hole that sucks up ALL the show's jokes. Barney is larger than life, taken to hyperbolic extremes by the show yet grounded by Harris. It's a great performance of a well-written character.

The show is charming, delightful and clean in a way that wouldn't suggest how edgy and laugh-out-loud funny it also is. "Mother" is the best example since "Seinfeld" of a show that is able to do an entire 30 minutes on something decidedly adult (venture the third season episode "Third Wheel" about threesomes) in a way so clever it could still be viewed by the entire family.

Yes, the single scene in New York is ground that has been trampled to death. I don't need to tell you all the places we've seen this before. Yet, "Mother" amazingly finds new avenues to explore. "Single Stamina" feels very "Sex and the City" yet entirely fresh. The exterior sets could be from "Seinfeld" yet fit the show perfectly because it has proved to have a genuine love for New York - not just using the city as a another backdrop. The flashback and multiple-POV jokes? Yes, "Coupling" did them, but "Mother" does them just as cleverly. From it's guy-centered exploration (even elevation thanks to Barney) of the single life to it's beautification of New York to it's clever storytelling structure, any way you slice it "How I Met Your Mother" is on par with the best of them.

Yes, "The Office" may get all the hip network buzz and "30 Rock" gets a lot of critical acclaim from a press that is oddly hesitant about acknowledging this show's achievements. I'm taking equal delight in "Mother". It's such a joy to watch this show consistently hit all the right notes. It's funny, it's got heart, it's unpredictable and it's go wit to burn. Do not let TV's best studio-audience sitcom pass you by.

Wait for it… * * * * /4

I used to LOVE this show, but its changed:(

Author: Feramsey from United States
17 February 2012

I used to absolutely love this, it was original-ish(i will get to why said "ish" later), witty smart and funny, but lately in the latest episodes it has made NO sense what-so-ever. It was jut random stuff put together that had nothing to with the story line. Not even the how he met their mother story line because lets face it, they haven't really been focusing o that anyways. But it didn't even have to do with anything of the other story lines. Not only that, but they've changed Barney from the LEGEN-wait for it-DARY character that he was to some mushy love-struck puppy, Ted has gotten super whiny and pathetic(as man reviews have already said), Robin, well i actually like Robin, I can't even explain what has happened to Marshmallow and Lily-pad. I had said original-ish at first because I'm a HUGE FRIENDS fan, so I've been watching it a lot lately, then i watch HIMYM and realize... that the EXACT same thing happened in FRIENDS. They change a few details so that maybe people won't notice, but as I've read some of theses reviews many people have. Not only have they taken situations from FRIENDS, but they have taken ideas and relationships. It's like the writers literally watch FRIENDS and take notes for stuff they can take from FRIENDS.

As i said I used to love this show so I won't give up on it just yet. I'm still going to watch it every week in case it gets better, hopefully. If it doesn't by the end of this season, I'm sorry but I'm done.

One last thing, many people who are fans of this show only like it because of Barney and only Barney. I realized this even more when i was talking to my friend one day and she actually thought Barney was the main character. In my opinion they might as well make the show about him.

This show would be great if it weren't for the character Ted.

Author: Mike p from United States
27 December 2011

The character Ted should kill himself. He's a whiny little b*tch and ruins practically every episode with his incessant complaining. In real life there is no way Ted would have even have four friends. Everyone would hate him. In fact, I'm pretty sure his kids do. The reason why he can't hold down a girlfriend is because he doesn't have any balls and its basically two chicks in the relationship. At this point, I couldn't care less how he meets his wife because I'm sure their marriage is going to end in a murder-suicide. The character Barney is the only reason to watch this show. Without him, the series would have been cancelled years ago.

A great 9 year-experience

Author: Ahmad Askar from United States
27 May 2014

How I met your mother by Carter Bays and Craig Thomas was a a well written show. It was really good how they could connect a minor event from a scene that was shot and included in an episode from 2006 to another in an episode from 2011. I think it will be a while until someone else comes up with such simple yet very entertaining plot again.

The story is not complicated at all, it's just about a young man who's trying to find "the one" and the creators take you through his journey with all the different obstacles and funny moments.

It is absolutely worth watching, it is the kind of a show that you would just sit and watch an episode after an episode during a winter or a spring break.

Awesome show!

Author: Shaliney from Oneonta, AL
27 May 2014

To me, How I Met Your Mother is more than just a show. The characters really make you feel like you are a part of their group. They make you want to be their friend. You are sad when they are sad, you are happy when they are happy, and you want to hug them when they have a broken heart. This show really sucks you in and makes you feel like you are a part of it. It is funny, it is sad, it is dramatic; it is everything rolled into one! I have seen the show many times, and I still laugh at the funny parts and cry at the sad parts. I really feel like the characters are my friends and care a lot about them. It is really hard deciding on one favorite episode or moment, because there are so many that I love. The actors really bring this show to life. How I Met Your Mother will always have a special place in my heart and I love watching it over and over!!

A legen.....dary show

Author: pierce-declase from Australia
5 April 2014

Giving 10 stars to anything is a big thing, it means you absolutely love this show, which i did. Yes i am giving this TV series a 10/10. And ill tell you why.

How i met your mother means so many things to me, i can not say i was one of those people that watched the show when it first came out in 2005, but years down the road i started to watch it weekly. I'm glad i did. It really got me hooked on it.

We all know the story. Ted is explaining to his kids How he met there mother. Its about him on his journey to find his true love. Yes sounds a bit cheesy but this show has got everything. Every character brings there own traits, we have Ted, Marshall, Lilly, Robin and Barney. These five characters are the ones who will bring so much laughter, happiness, sadness, joy you name it everything, its amazing. Its literally like going on an emotional roller-coaster. The story is simple but yet brings so much to the show. You can't help but love it.

The comedy is perfect, i think everyone can laugh at it. Its all different sides of humor its well balanced, also best thing about it, it's used at appropriate times.

Over time the show keeps its comedy but then becomes a little bit more emotional. I really did enjoy it. Now this show has come to end. And i suggest who have not seen it or just watched episodes there and then. Please you will not regret it, watch this show. I have no doubt you will love it.

So i guess this is my review but also my good bye to this show. How I Met Your Mother thank you so much for everything, you bought joy, laughter, happiness, sadness and everything to me. I loved everything about it, specially all the characters, they have become inspirational beings in anyone's life. The story is compelling with so many life lessons. All i can say thank you so much How I Met Your Mother i will miss you.

GoodBye Kids

Overral, A Solid Show

Author: timefortherain from United States
31 March 2014

OK I just watched the finale and I'm thinking a lot about it. So this review is gonna be in 2 parts. The first talking about the finale on it's own, then talking about my overall thoughts on the show.

1. The Finale My response to the finale itself is "meh". I found it kind of redundant that Barney and Robin split up right after the entire season being dedicated to their wedding. My other problem (and this is a huge problem) is that Ted decides to get back together with robin at the end. Now, I know Ted will always love his wife who has passed on, but this kind of undermines what I feel the whole point of the show was. Ted trying to find the woman he would spend the rest of his life with and never stop loving even after she passes. And I know that he still loves her but that doesn't really work here. Have it end with their wedding or something and don't have this huge overarching storyline that goes into the future. It seems to me what they were trying to do was satisfy everybody. And that's impossible. You gotta really do what you as a writer personally want to see happen. And if this truly was what their vision was, then I think they failed to realize what the show was about and failed to execute their idea in the most satisfying way possible. I did like the thing with Barney becoming a dad and becoming responsible. That was cool. Overall I didn't have problems with it until the stupid ending where he goes to get robin. I really do like the actress who plays the Mother. I thought she and Ted had really great chemistry. Talking about overall feelings on the last episode, because of the sloppy writing and execution it leaves you with a sour taste in the mouth. The finale on it's own deserves a 6/10 from me.

2. The Show But what about the show as a whole? Well, I really liked it. I thought it really had character development and relationships down to a science. You get to now these characters so well you feel as if you're part of the gang. The writing could get a little sloppy at times, and this past season was really drawn out and just unnecessary for the most part. Some episodes were better than others, but I think overall it told the story in a mostly satisfying manor. I had some problems over the years, but I think it's strengths far outweigh its weaknesses. 8/10.

I never thought there could exist other sitcom like FRIENDS. I was wrong

Author: Paula Mascheroni
30 March 2014

This sitcom is now one of my favorites, hand in hand with FRIENDS. I really love its humor, its bizarre adventures, its love stories, its flashbacks and forwards. What I love the most: its CATCHPHRASES

If you're thinking about watching this fantastic comedy series, you certainly HAVE TO. It's AWESOME (as Barney Stinson would say). Of all, I think that what makes it special is the chemistry between the actors. The five of them get on very well, they seem to enjoy so much working together. That is one of the most important things to have success, because they transmit the message exactly the way they feel, and if they feel comfortable, it shows.

Sadly, it ends tomorrow, which makes me a little blue, I will miss them so much. But what I can tell you is that the story line is NOT boring at all. It keeps you entertained, even when you're pulling your hair out because you want to know the answer to the show: How did he met the mother? So, don't panic, enjoy while you watch the nine seasons, because it's an incredible experience. You feel you grow as the characters do, you understand them, you will LOVE them.

I highly recommend this wonderful creation!!! EXCELLENT!