IMDb > "How I Met Your Mother" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"How I Met Your Mother"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"How I Met Your Mother" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 39: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

spoiler defending the ending :-)

Author: suzie_only from Phoenix, AZ
1 April 2014

First of all, to everyone raging how they hated the ending: Come on people, it is a TV show, for crying out loud! Get over it!

For me the ending was brilliant! At least it explains Ted's twisted story-telling and why it took 8 seasons before we actually got to meet the mother. And true, it was sad that she dies, but Marshall's dad also passed away, which i found way more depressing. Having Ted show up at Robins apartment with the blue horn was bittersweet and basically brought it to a full circle. Barney finally committed to a female who will turn out awesome, when she grows up. Marshall and Lily are the perfect couple as you always knew they would be.

I congratulate Craig Thomas and Carter Bays for having the courage to not end HIMYM like any mediocre sitcom would and want to thank them for almost a decade filled with laughter and sometimes tears (sometimes both at the same time) because the characters they created felt multi-layered and so real at times you wished they were actual friends you could hang out with at MacLaren's pub. It never got boring to watch, even if Ted seems a bit whiny sometimes and when re-watching the show you finally notice that Lily is a bitch. Having said that I'd like to send a virtual high five to everyone involved in making this show. It was legen-... wait for it...-dary.

Good Story

Author: omieg83
1 April 2014

SPOILERS******

I think too many people took the title of the show too seriously. A lot of people wondered why Ted decided to sit down and tell his kids a story about meeting their mother which included his ex-girlfriends. Well without some of the girlfriends, he would not have grown and become the man he did. He also would not have lucked into the opportunity of meeting their mother. And without those stories we would have not had a TV show.

The show has a great combination of funny and heartfelt moments going on that I've only seen matched with Friends and Scrubs. There were some episodes along the way in season 7-9 that were forgettable but a lot of shows get like that when they're on past their prime. Now that I know the full story and that Ted ends up with Robin, I want to watch the entire series over. To me it makes perfect sense to end the show the way they did, because Robin was a main character to the story and not necessarily so with Tracy. It was clear through most of the series that Robin was the one that got away from Ted and the one that had the biggest impact on him. Robin helped make Ted into the man that the kids saw and helped shape him into the man that would fall in love with their mother.

Barney's story was also very interesting. A lot of people felt that the writers undid all of his development in one show. The thing I like about what they did, was that it felt real. Barney's character was complex. He had been let down throughout his life and had his own very deep seeded psychological problems. Those were not necessarily gone by the time he married Robin. I think they were still within him, hence the jokes that he was still able to make about other women's boobs and so on. The thing Barney gained from his relationship with Robin was that she helped him love someone. She helped him see that he was capable of doing so. Little by little, Nora, then Quinn, then Robin helped Barney see that he was capable of more. I think Barney was heartbroken by his marriage with Robin. He felt that it was going to be a certain way. He was as excited if not more excited than her to be married to each other. Hence his nervousness leading up to the wedding and how perfect he wanted it to be. I just think that he couldn't handle what their relationship was becoming kind of like the first go around. He loved her too much to lie to her. But he learned how to love and become a bit more stable. His 31 day spree after his divorce was more about him going to a dark place than it was about him wanting to be that guy. The other thing is that Robin never would have been able to give Barney a child. His daughter was the love of his life and I found that sweet. She changed him forever.

Going back to Ted and Robin. What people might forget is that present Ted is telling the story and not past Ted. People felt like he wasn't genuine in his love for the mother Tracy. I think he loved her with every ounce of his heart. Present Ted was 6 years removed from his wife's death. He wanted to tell his kids the story of how he met the most incredible woman of his life. The only problem was that there was more than one woman that had that effect on him. He just didn't realize the effect Robin still had on him and how important she was to him. His kids helped him realize that. He wasn't the only person in the story who loved multiple people. Robin fell in love with two different men and Tracy had fallen in love with Max before Ted. The show was very real in that sense.

So to sum it up, the mother was a Macguffin but a very beautiful one and one that helped the story have a direction. The last scene b/w the mother and Ted where they finally met was beautifully written and acted. And the final scene to me has not stopped running through my head. The music hit, and Robin brought out the romantic side of Ted again. No words needed to be spoken there and I'm happy for that. We all knew and in the end I was happy b/c these fantastic characters that I've come to love were all in a better place.

Just bad

Author: Manisha Chauhan from United Kingdom
6 May 2016

Wow, I cant stand this show. It is just the epitome of a bad show. I would rather watch commercials, and in fact, i often do, every time this is on. just ridiculously stupid characters whose voices i cant stand talking about the same blah blah stuff constantly. i literally want them to shut up. I cant even have this show on as background noise because i get irritated hearing that characters stupid voice going on about some pointless unfunny drivel, and it seems to be the same every episode.

i cant understand how people watch this? I cant understand how this got made in the first place I cant understand how it got so many seasons i cant understand why networks are airing it!

whoever wrote this - you are probably the most irritating person alive.

This show doesn't make you laugh that much.

Author: Kuusafiiri
25 March 2016

I was told that if you like Friends, you'll like How I met your mother. The show is now on Netflix, so I thought: "Why not." I have no idea how this show has been so popular and I'm wondering why on Earth people compare this to the epic comedy: Friends. very boring. And to be honest, I didn't feel it had a cohesive storyline, and the people or the story didn't seem to get anywhere. Just a bunch of separate "jokes" and moments. I wasn't excited about the ending of the first season and didn't even realize, when Netflix started to roll the second season. To me it felt the same all the time...And the characters just seem to lack personality.

What bothers me the most, is that the jokes and characters have so much similar things as Friends. Every time something familiar came up, I was so annoyed and thought that couldn't the writers really come up with something different and original. Too many times I kept thinking "I have seen this" and "Are you kidding me, you stole that from Friends".

Just to name a few...

*One thing that annoyed me the most, was that nobody quite knew what Barney's job was and that was one of the main things of Chandler's character. Seriously, the writes should have NOT used that joke here!

*The others are calling Barney Swarley, and he hates it. In Friends Chandler wanted to be Clint, but everyone kept calling him Gene. Barney's and Chandler's reactions are very similar.

*Marshall and Jill (the "main couple") want to get married in Casino. So did Monica and Chandler. *Barney is womanizer, so is Joey. They both have sex with older woman and have a crush on their friend's ex (Robin/Rachel). *Robin and Ted are having a hard time to make their relationship start. So did Rachel and Ross.

This was definitely not a TV-show for me... Totally waste of time.

Thanks for everything Ted, Marshall, Lily, Barney, Robin, and HIMYM Team

Author: Deniz Kocaturk from Turkey
9 October 2015

Greetings,

I know it's weird, but I have to confess it. Maybe I'm not the first guy who confess his thoughts about HIMYM.

First of all, I want to thank for everything it's taught me. First time I watched How I Met Your Mother TV Show, some thoughts are started to appear in my mind. It's very strange to tell, I don't really know how to start or how to describe it. It's like panic attack, you can't describe it too, you know. But these thoughts are good. I started watching in 2005. As you know start day is September 19, 2005. If I remember true, I started on October. Anyway, I have no idea what will happen in this show in the future. I have never expecting to watch it for the last episode. This show is different then others, it's teaching many things to it's followers; friendship, love, kindness, sacrifice, generosity et cetera and et cetera.

To tell you the truth, I did not establish a deep friendship until now. I tried too much, but why is it not work, really I don't know. I don't know. Ted, Barney, Marshall, Robin and Lily taught me too much things about friendship, love, kindness, sacrifice, generosity. I learned more. Until now, I learned that there are too many things that I must learn. You look like you have too much free time in my country. But in the end, there is a free time they seen but you have not, and they are steal your free time for nothing... Instead of this, I can travel to more country, and learn more. I can work more, more and more for me and my family, friends... It's started eat my mind.

Anyway, as I said, I have watched How I Met Your Mother too many times. And this show, these cast and the team, who are stayed background, taught me too many things. I'm still continuing to watch this show on TV. Even I realized that, I have to own bundle box of this show. I found a site, and I will buy this bundle.

Maybe you said, "I don't understand why you are yelling?" Believe me, there are some things that can hurt. HIMYM helped recognize myself. I believe that, all of these main cast is reflects an idea. Ted is ambitious for his dreams. If you believe, you can do anything. Barney is looks like lecher, but he is not. Just like Ted, he is looking for a door to happiness. Lily. Ah she is adorable and interesting person (but she is very professional to hide her thoughts). Robin is unperturbed, but she is very professional just like Lily. She is hiding her good feelings during some situations. Marshall is childish, and this is a virtue too.

As you see, I discovered these emotions in these characters. All of them was a very good lesson for me; Always be an ambitious, and release your emotions while reaching to these dreams. But at the same time, be lecher for your dreams. Do interesting things and do not listen/see what people talking about yourself about these situations. And of course, don't forget to do some childish things. This will make you happy.

Thanks for reading. And best regards to How I Met Your Mother TV Show cast and the team, of course!

Dire in the extreme

Author: geoffcoo from United Kingdom
11 March 2016

This really is the most awful show. Clichéd writing and amateurish performances makes this a decidedly disappointing viewing experience. Time to bring it all to an end and move on to something watchable.

The situations are poor and the execution of them is laboured. It is almost as though a team of writers have come together to think up the most obvious, in your face, situations and have then proceeded script them. One of the disadvantages of teams of scriptwriters on a show is that the ideas pass through a committee stage and most of the good ones don't get through.

If it were not for the US The Office I would award this the worst comedy ever.

first half almost perfect, second half almost

Author: jingoro swahili
8 June 2015

--------- WATCH OUT, it contains SPOILERS. -----------------

it's probably the best comedy show ever for the first 4, maybe 5 seasons. funny, smart, intriguing. the idea of a story told by a father to his children about how he met their mother is original and amazingly funny. and you can really relate to the main character if you are a guy in your late 20ies or 30-something and you don't just want to settle, but are just looking very hard for the woman of your dreams.

but the show gets worse and worse from the sixth season on. at some point, we lose track of the characters' lives. their job like disappears and they are mainly involved in stupid gags you would find old and stupid even in a show of 30 years ago. the only exception is barney, the only character that the screenwriters take seriously from the fifth season. at some point during the seventh season, i told myself that i was going to watch this show till the end for the sole purpose of knowing who the heck is the mother and how the "father" met her and how the fell in love with each other. which is basically NOT shown if not partially, the screenwriters sort of forget to explain and show the whole thing the way it would have deserved to be shown.

the last season is the worst, BY FAR. let's just draw a veil over the veeeeery low budget, which shows itself way more than it should. it entirely revolves on barney's wedding or, to be more exact, the last 48 hours before the wedding. and what about the main character? well, he almost becomes a caricature. and the mother we waited for for so long? over more than 200 hundred episodes, we only get to see her for like 20 minutes or maybe less.

my advice is: watch the first 5 seasons, then skip to the last two episodes. then watch what is in between, but don't expect much. and don't wait for the mother, you will see her very rarely despite being in the title of the show.

sorry for my bad English. this is my first review, I needed to say my opinion about this show because it really let me down.

not as i thought it would be

Author: Krissz from Denmark
15 August 2010

Everybody I know love this show. All of them say how funny it is, some try to live by the Stinson-code and everyone wants to participate in the "International Suit-up Day"...but not me.

I've tried time after time to see the show, and well, I don't like it. yes I can see that the show is trying to be different than other shows, e.g. showing a date in the present and from 9 years ago at the same time or if/if not Marshall was robbed by a monkey or not. Even though its well made, and actually different from other shows, I cannot find this funny. The biggest problem is how its being told. If they didn't have the narrator voice in every episode I could watch more of it. Its irritating to hear a voice telling everything about the show, and do NOT let you think on your own.....oh yeah the Monkey episode tried to, but it was so obvious it would do that (the whole is it real or not?), that it ended more confusing than funny.

Even though I'm the person who could love the show, I'm almost finished with my studies and is about to go to the "real world" and can see my self in Ted.....But it doesn't hit me. The date episode made me irritated at Ted and didn't made me laugh. the only thing I thought was "why do you go on a 9 year old date that went bad, and didn't try your luck this time doing SOMETHING ELSE than actually recreating a bad date? how stupid are you?!" it seemed unrealistic that two persons would actually recreate something like that, and NOT think "hey he/she IS actually cool and nice, why not try something?" It remind me a lot of the British show "Coupling", but that show is 1000 times more funny and genius well made than this show. They try the same things, have some of the same characters, but its just not that funny. The thing I like about the show, is actually how its made. its well made, interesting in showing time in different ways (present/past/future) and the whole reality (again with the monkey). The problem is, as I said, its going to fast and the narrator ruins a lot and some of the jokes are to obvious.

(Ill still try to see the show, if so many of my friends like this show, maybe ill just need to check it out some more times.)

Great start to series but lost is charm after some many years!

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
18 April 2013

This show started not to long after Friends ended but I thought i was a perfect re-placement for Friends.

I not lot fan don't like me Comparing both shows, both are set in new york and their daily love lives.

I loved first 3 season, I thought every episode had in laughing and loud for 30 mins each week!

Those series really well done as pace was really good in those series and there not many filler episode (This current season)

After season 3, I think that when really start to lose it's charm , it did have some good decent and now again, I which really enjoyed.

The next few season were a really mixed bag and this latest series is to me as been really bad, I have worst series yet, I don't think there was on decent episode I liked this year!

I hoping this is the last season but those Kids on those couch have their own kids!

6 out of 10

In disbelief that anyone enjoys this.

Author: natekowalskitattoo from Canada
17 February 2016

This is the worst show I have ever had to sit through. I did not know what it was about, it was on at my house so I gave it a chance.

This show is nothing but ENDLESS and I mean endless sex jokes. Which doesn't offend me in any way, I would just be rather having sex than watching a show where every single episode is nonstop sex talk. I do not even understand the humor in it, perhaps this show is for single people who are needy and alone so they enjoy all the sex jokes and talk about hooking up and endless scene after scene of guys hitting on girls. Realize this show is fiction and that you are wasting your time watching actors pretend to flirt with each other for eight straight seasons, it makes me sick.

If you absolutely have to arouse yourself with sexual entertainment watch porn. I find it quite pathetic that anyone in a relationship would be entertained by this show about five characters who in hundreds of episodes talk about nothing but sex. Seriously if this entertains you then go make love to your wife or husband and stop watching this garbage.

I tried to give it another chance and the episode that played was about one character having sex with enough girls to fill a bingo scorecard....what the hell is the appeal of watching this exactly??

For teenagers or single people.