IMDb > "How I Met Your Mother" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"How I Met Your Mother"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"How I Met Your Mother" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Totally lost after season 5

Author: Zvonimir Buzanic (zbuzanic@gmail.com) from Croatia
11 November 2012

At the beginning this show WAS really entertaining, funny, good jokes and everything was in place. But it turned out like bad friends. I guess they decided to prolong finding "Mother" just because of popularity. Everybody sleeps with everybody and that's normal and they are "friends" after all no matter they slept each other. Seems like only Marshall and Lilly are normal in this. I really hated when Ted decided to leave Victoria because of Robin. Should we abandon our partners because of dumb friends? So immature.

Also, forced jokes in last two seasons (7/8) are so bad I won't watch this anymore, just the last episode to see who that perfect women is. Shame, it had potential but failed HARD!

They're milking it

Author: nabil-nashar from Qatar
15 May 2012

I am extremely disappointed. I used to love this show when it first came out. And for the first 5 seasons I really did have a great time watching. I didn't necessarily laugh hysterically all the time, but it def. got a few laughs out of me. Everyone was in love with the characters, in love with the set up, in love with the story and the idea.

I think the strongest selling point for this show was the name. "How I met your mother" was clever because it was new. It's kind of a weird title. a bit bizarre so people wanted to know more. Obviously after watching a few episodes you get the jest of it and you start to see how it's just future Ted Mosby talking to his kids narrating the supposed story of how he met their mother.

Right, all good. Now we go through different ups and downs in Ted's life and we learn about the different characters which were constructed beautifully and I believe nailed by every single one of the actors. The problem lies with the show producers milking it to make more money.

The story is pretty much done. Ted dated every kind of girl he possibly could. Almost got married god knows how many times. Once actually came close to it but got left at the altar.

The show is simply not that funny anymore. It's starting to be pathetic really, as they desperately drag it much longer than it needs to. It's time to end it and move on.

Become so Boring

Author: KasperKyd from Toronto
4 November 2013

This show was one of the best once it starts till almost season 6, and I wish they end it there.

It becomes so boring, they don't concentrate on the story anymore, a lot of (garbage if I can say that) just to fill the timing of the episodes. Especially this last season it screws everything, I watch complete episode, not even with one smile.

Anyway, if you want to watch this series, you're going to forward a lot while playing after season 5 or 6 (boring alert :)

Comparing to TBBT show, I believe TBBT still holding to number 1 for me and How I met your mother lost it's flavor big time.

How I screwed up my T.V show

Author: Jonathan Elmaleh from Canada
30 July 2013

The first time I saw this show I loved it, I watched through the first and second season and loved, the thirds season is where the show started to crack, they were repeating the same jokes and were only focusing on the story, now we just finished the eighth season, the show no longer has anything that makes me laugh just the worlds most annoying and stupid story, this show has become such garbage, the creator managed to take an amazing show and screw it up, they revealed the mother in the last episode of season eight, and it was just a random person, there is nothing unique about Ted's (main character) love life, I used to like this show and now I hate it, I would highly recommend viewing the first four seasons and then stopping the show is no longer funny the story is beyond stupid, this show is pathetic

So highly overrated!

Author: fmonaca from Australia
5 June 2013

Well, how to put it? Tastes are subjective but I really cannot imagine how somebody can give this show a 10, or even a 6! Someone compared this to Friends... well, it could be if it had humor, something that Friend had in abundance and sorely lacks in this one.

I just really cannot cope with the fact that so many worthy shows struggle to get renewed or are outright canceled (Firefly to name the first that comes to my mind) and such garbage is now at what, the 9th season? I do like the actors, I'm a big fan of Neal Patrick Harris and Jason Segel, I really am. But they're only able to raise this show from its abysmal depths of crappiness to a level of utter mediocrity.

I'll go re-watch Friends or even Joey for some real laughs, or Community if I want something more recent, How I Met You Mother is not worth the time spent to write this.

Another LOST situation - 9 years of your life and hours of viewing down the drain

Author: Aureusroots from United Kingdom
5 March 2014

I feel the finale is going to be a disaster based on how its going so far.

Ending nine years of a show that builds around how he meets the mother then telling us they only had a short time together and she died is just miserable and lazy writing. First its not creative and secondly is this a drama or a comedy? I think many viewers will feel stabbed in the back like they did with Lost's Finale and feel disappointed for watching the show all these years. If I personally had known this is what was going to happen I wouldn't have even started watching it. I hope the writers come up with something funny and shocking at the same time and give this show the great finale it deserves to put it on the map as a classic like Friends for future generations. Otherwise people will remember this show with utter resentment and no one will be interested in watching it in the future. Story about a guy on how he met his dead wife, ... lame. Keep it light and intelligent guys, not much of this season has been so hopefully the finale will make up for it.

Good Story

Author: omieg83
1 April 2014

SPOILERS******

I think too many people took the title of the show too seriously. A lot of people wondered why Ted decided to sit down and tell his kids a story about meeting their mother which included his ex-girlfriends. Well without some of the girlfriends, he would not have grown and become the man he did. He also would not have lucked into the opportunity of meeting their mother. And without those stories we would have not had a TV show.

The show has a great combination of funny and heartfelt moments going on that I've only seen matched with Friends and Scrubs. There were some episodes along the way in season 7-9 that were forgettable but a lot of shows get like that when they're on past their prime. Now that I know the full story and that Ted ends up with Robin, I want to watch the entire series over. To me it makes perfect sense to end the show the way they did, because Robin was a main character to the story and not necessarily so with Tracy. It was clear through most of the series that Robin was the one that got away from Ted and the one that had the biggest impact on him. Robin helped make Ted into the man that the kids saw and helped shape him into the man that would fall in love with their mother.

Barney's story was also very interesting. A lot of people felt that the writers undid all of his development in one show. The thing I like about what they did, was that it felt real. Barney's character was complex. He had been let down throughout his life and had his own very deep seeded psychological problems. Those were not necessarily gone by the time he married Robin. I think they were still within him, hence the jokes that he was still able to make about other women's boobs and so on. The thing Barney gained from his relationship with Robin was that she helped him love someone. She helped him see that he was capable of doing so. Little by little, Nora, then Quinn, then Robin helped Barney see that he was capable of more. I think Barney was heartbroken by his marriage with Robin. He felt that it was going to be a certain way. He was as excited if not more excited than her to be married to each other. Hence his nervousness leading up to the wedding and how perfect he wanted it to be. I just think that he couldn't handle what their relationship was becoming kind of like the first go around. He loved her too much to lie to her. But he learned how to love and become a bit more stable. His 31 day spree after his divorce was more about him going to a dark place than it was about him wanting to be that guy. The other thing is that Robin never would have been able to give Barney a child. His daughter was the love of his life and I found that sweet. She changed him forever.

Going back to Ted and Robin. What people might forget is that present Ted is telling the story and not past Ted. People felt like he wasn't genuine in his love for the mother Tracy. I think he loved her with every ounce of his heart. Present Ted was 6 years removed from his wife's death. He wanted to tell his kids the story of how he met the most incredible woman of his life. The only problem was that there was more than one woman that had that effect on him. He just didn't realize the effect Robin still had on him and how important she was to him. His kids helped him realize that. He wasn't the only person in the story who loved multiple people. Robin fell in love with two different men and Tracy had fallen in love with Max before Ted. The show was very real in that sense.

So to sum it up, the mother was a Macguffin but a very beautiful one and one that helped the story have a direction. The last scene b/w the mother and Ted where they finally met was beautifully written and acted. And the final scene to me has not stopped running through my head. The music hit, and Robin brought out the romantic side of Ted again. No words needed to be spoken there and I'm happy for that. We all knew and in the end I was happy b/c these fantastic characters that I've come to love were all in a better place.

Spectacular decrease in quality and enjoyment

Author: broutcha from France
23 October 2013

Quick context: I love American TV comedies; I've been watching Friends, Arrested I'm giving it a solid 8-9 for the very first seasons; which were fun and interesting. But unlike Friends, the characters aren't very lovable in general, despite good work from the actors and the great character/actor match of Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris. And since the general setup doesn't change much over the course of the 9 seasons, it quickly becomes more and more painful to watch as the newness runs out.

The last (9th) season (or at least the first 5 episodes, but I bet that it won't get better) deserves a very special spot in the hall of fame of really bad, bad TV. It really seems as if they took the material for 8 episodes and stretched it as much as they could to make an entire season.

spoiler defending the ending :-)

Author: suzie_only from Phoenix, AZ
1 April 2014

First of all, to everyone raging how they hated the ending: Come on people, it is a TV show, for crying out loud! Get over it!

For me the ending was brilliant! At least it explains Ted's twisted story-telling and why it took 8 seasons before we actually got to meet the mother. And true, it was sad that she dies, but Marshall's dad also passed away, which i found way more depressing. Having Ted show up at Robins apartment with the blue horn was bittersweet and basically brought it to a full circle. Barney finally committed to a female who will turn out awesome, when she grows up. Marshall and Lily are the perfect couple as you always knew they would be.

I congratulate Craig Thomas and Carter Bays for having the courage to not end HIMYM like any mediocre sitcom would and want to thank them for almost a decade filled with laughter and sometimes tears (sometimes both at the same time) because the characters they created felt multi-layered and so real at times you wished they were actual friends you could hang out with at MacLaren's pub. It never got boring to watch, even if Ted seems a bit whiny sometimes and when re-watching the show you finally notice that Lily is a bitch. Having said that I'd like to send a virtual high five to everyone involved in making this show. It was legen-... wait for it...-dary.

Started out great, now it seems to be grasping at straws

Author: Mysticpuma from United Kingdom
14 November 2012

I have watched all the episodes of this show from the start and initially enjoyed it. Unlike some here, I appreciated the clever editing in some shows but slowly this has diminished. Currently the show seems intent on dragging out the sage of "HIMYM" and it really needs to get to that actual story. I understand that the need to weave the time-lines together is a good writing trick, but sadly we don't appear to be getting anywhere nearer. Ted is looking for his soul mate and we know that the woman under the Yellow Umbrella (who we haven't seen the face of) is supposed to be her (but we wait for 'another' twist) which will mean it isn't!

This series (8) more than any, I have felt that the writers are doing their best to work out how to get to 10-series. Still we have the Ted and Robin ongoing saga, Marshall and Lily have become virtually insignificant and Barney just doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I felt that this series (so-far to episode 5) nothing has actually happened.

Whether the writers are tired or the actors have no motivation, I just don't know, but currently all the spark and 'fun' seem to have sadly withered away.

Personally speaking, we need Ted to meet their mother and then see how they got to the wedding and births a damn site quicker than we currently are. Interest is fading fast and soon it'll be called "Who cares how I met your mother".

(BTW I think the mother is the woman that Ted bumped into in the nightclub very briefly, but for no script progress purpose (so-far!))