IMDb > "How I Met Your Mother" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"How I Met Your Mother"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"How I Met Your Mother" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Pretentious Show Aimed At Teens? Should Be Called "Dowisetrepla"

Author: CrenshawPete from NewYork, NY
28 April 2013

I bought all seven seasons on DVD because my coworkers raved about how funny this show is. OK, I wasn't impressed with the pilot, and now that I'm on season three, I can say without a doubt that this rehash of old ideas doesn't get any funnier. In fact, I have yet to laugh at a single joke.

To be fair, if they got rid of Ted (fiery car crash, anyone?) and canned the writers, the rest of the cast might have potential. Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Segel, and Alyson Hannigan are certainly knocking themselves out. But let's deal with what we've got, rather than what it could be.

What we have is clearly a rip-off of Friends, among other shows. "Vomit free since '93"? Seinfeld. Pretending to be a tourist in your home town in order to pick up women? Seinfeld again. And the moustache fetish/attraction from the tattoo removal episode? Threes Company. I could go on.

And speaking of the tattoo removal episode... Seriously, it takes the doctor TEN weeks to tell Ted the reason she won't date him is because she has a daughter and thus devotes all her time to her child. Who writes this nonsense? A normal adult would just tell the guy the reason in the first place... But then that wouldn't open up the situation for all kinds of hilarious hi-jinx, now would it, kids?

These so-called "adults" live a goofy, adolescent lifestyle, like no university graduate I've ever met. It's almost like a 14-year-old girl's fantasy of what awaits her after she graduates high school. I'm actually embarrassed for the writers and embarrassed to be watching this show in my early 30s. At least the twenty-something characters on Friends acted like adults with real careers.

Which brings me to Ted, who is perhaps the most annoying main character in modern sitcom history. I can't stand him! What twenty-something male spends all of his time obsessing about getting married -- especially when he hasn't even met Ms. Right yet??? And surprise, all the women on the show are attracted to him, like he's Brad Pitt. In fact, all the girls in the bar look like models and are one-dimensional air-heads who ALWAYS instantly fall for our overly-nice drip of a main character.

Barney: "Have you met Ted?" Perfect-ten female with googly eyes *falling all over herself*: "Hiiiii Ted!"

Speaking of annoying, the limo/cab driver with his stupid fruity smile and "Helloooooooo!" catch-phrase makes me want to join a fight club. Apparently there's only one cab driver in this juvenile fantasy version of New York city.

Add to this the endless flash-backs-within-flash-backs, and you've got the most pretentious recycled garbage that ever survived a pilot episode. Make no mistake, this "romantic" (read cornball) comedy may have fooled some of the less mature viewing audience -- those who are too young to have seen good comedy -- but this will NOT stand the test of time. I hope the writers and producers are enjoying the money while it lasts. I sure as heck will avoid any turkey their names are attached to from now on.

In closing, if you're checking this show out for the first time, I recommend watching the episode "Dowisetrepla" with all of its "is what I should have said" and it's "is what I did say." If you find that hilarious, then this show is definitely for you. Enough said.

stop writing so damn ridiculously

Author: neo_hanna
3 October 2012

Please, stop writing such meaningless, out of touch, out of reality episodes. This show was good at the beginning, but now it is so amazingly numb and full of nonsense. My 15 yo sister can write better "Non messed in the head" characters than that, if you really think thats how reality work, you need to to be in a mental hospital instead of writing, producing and watching such crap. Please, stop writing such meaningless, out of touch, out of reality episodes. This show was good at the beginning, but now it is so amazingly numb and full of nonsense. My 15 yo sister can write better "Non messed in the head" characters than that, if you really think thats how reality work, you need to to be in a mental hospital instead of writing, producing and watching such crap.

One of the worst shows on TV

Author: Alex S (anon3df1@gmail.com) from New York, NY
21 December 2010

This show is terrible. It's cute and cloying, and totally unoriginal in the way it rips off Friends, which was itself pretty bland.

One of the most interesting things about the show is that several of the cast members are considered to be hip. Alyson Hannigan was in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Jason Segal is a big Apatow star. Neil Patrick Harris did his Harold and Kumar cameos.

This backs up my own personal crank theory that the chief value of cool, in Hollywood, is that you can buy it and add it to some really terrible, hacky, formulaic train wreck and make it somewhat palatable.

The problem is that eventually your cool wears off, and you become associated with the hackneyed tripe you've been hired to dilute. If you don't believe me, ask David Spade. He used to be cool too.

I know lots of people love this show, but I don't know how to explain it.

What has happened to this series ??!!??

Author: drakezone89 from Bangalore, India
15 November 2012

There was a time when i considered HIMYM as the best ever sitcom..even above friends..but season 7 and now season 8 have proved to be great disappointments. After the dismal season 7 I was hoping the worst was over but here we are in season 8 and things don't seem to be improving. Few things that i have noticed: 1. Most of the stories are in flashback (so that makes the show flashback-in-flashback) 2. Stories have become more and more distant from reality and hence any attempt to induce laughter seems superficial. 3. Characters seem old and droopy. 4. Setup seems overcrowded and overstuffed, specially Lily and Marshall's apartment. It is kinda irritating. What exactly is happening to HIMYM? Honestly I don't care anymore who the mother is!!

A modern day Friends

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
2 January 2011

When Friends ended in the U.S the networks obviously came to the conclusion that they needed a new one and from that we get How I Met Your Mother a show that is very very similar to the legendary sitcom.

Characters, situations and at some points even story lines have all been pinched in order to generate humour which by the way is in very short supply in this sitcom.

Of course because it's popular its been dragged on and on with the characters getting more and more stereotypical and fake. At some points you wonder if you are ever going to find out who the mother is and really do we care?

If this and Two and a half men are the top rated sitcoms in America then I feel sorry for the viewers.

Getting duller with every new season

Author: jazebelle from United States
25 October 2010

I used to be a huge fan of How I met your Mother. I thought the show was brilliant. It was fresh, different, with new faces and had a really cute story line. I swear, the first two seasons were hilarious. The 3rd season wasn't too bad either, and now that they are running re-runs of season 1-3 on TV where I am, I've learned to compare the show from then and now. What happened, dear writers, producers, directors and actors?! How I met your Mother at its later season is just becoming dreadful. Obviously the writers are struggling to give it more staying power on the airways, but prolonging the episodes with extremely annoying story lines are really going to throw your fans off. And worst still, the show isn't funny anymore.

I mean, honestly, adults at their age in real life do not at all behave like that. Instead of adults in their late 20's, they're all beginning to sound like clumsy aloof teenagers. It's really getting very annoying. And Ted, who was very likable in the beginning episodes, has gone to this pathetic, needy, clingy and whiny plus boring individual. And then there's Lily and Marshall, who are married now and are trying to conceive, but have gotten over the top mushy with each other that it makes me gag.

Barney's probably the only person to watch for in the series. Although I vouch that it will get old soon. How many more women can he sleep with? How much more of a sleaze will he become? As for Robin, well, I had no confidence in her staying on in the show, and she truly brings no chemistry or any presence at all. If she weren't in the regular cast list, I still think the series could have taken off. She'd probably do better as a guest star.

Some of the episodes don't even make any sense, no was there really any reason to turn it into an entire 20 over minuet episode! It just contains extremely boring and annoying sequences that have been repeated too many times throughout the other seasons. I don't even find myself smiling once with the newer episodes.

And as some of the reviewers have said here, with 6 seasons running, none of them have really made any progress throughout the years. I am sad to see this show go down the drain. As to those who compare it to FRIENDS, I'm afraid this show will never come even close to being how amazing and funny FRIENDS was. With good shows like HIMYM turning horrible, I'm surprised good comedies like Gary Unmarried have been canceled, and time slots are given to comedies that have deteriorated.

Totally lost after season 5

Author: Zvonimir Buzanic (zbuzanic@gmail.com) from Croatia
11 November 2012

At the beginning this show WAS really entertaining, funny, good jokes and everything was in place. But it turned out like bad friends. I guess they decided to prolong finding "Mother" just because of popularity. Everybody sleeps with everybody and that's normal and they are "friends" after all no matter they slept each other. Seems like only Marshall and Lilly are normal in this. I really hated when Ted decided to leave Victoria because of Robin. Should we abandon our partners because of dumb friends? So immature.

Also, forced jokes in last two seasons (7/8) are so bad I won't watch this anymore, just the last episode to see who that perfect women is. Shame, it had potential but failed HARD!

I just can't get into this sitcom

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
24 June 2011

Don't get me wrong, I do love sitcoms. I love Frasier, I love Friends, I love Cheers, I love Black Adder, I love Last of the Summer Wine(mostly) and I love Fawlty Towers. But I just can't get into How I Met your Mother. At first it was alright, there were some good ideas, some of the situations were at least fun. But as the show has progressed, in my personal opinion it is running out of ideas and it feels more dull and laboured by the minute. I do like the production values, and there is one good character Barney, wonderfully played by Neil Patrick Harris. The other characters I don't care for, in general I find them stupid and unlikeable, while the writing and jokes are forced and predictable now that the show lacks a good pace and freshness and some of the situations are not at all funny, more inane if anything. The acting also feels forced and over-compensated, as if the actors know their characters and writing are lacking and they're trying to make it work. Harris in my opinion is the one exception who doesn't suffer, that's because he's that good an actor, he has had some bad material but he always gives his all to elevate it. All in all, I do like sitcoms and comedies when they're good, but How I Met Your Mother is an example of one I can't get into. 2/10 Bethany Cox

the show has ran it course- the guys are no longer funny.

Author: hydebee-2 from United States
30 October 2012

this was one of my favorite shows for a few years, but now it has grown old. when you are in your mid 20's and the world is waiting for you then you have your laughs etc, but these guys are in their late 30's or close to 40. when are they going to grow up and act their age?it is sort of sad not funny.the characters are not very realistic and they grown old and stale , the jokes are not funny , the original cast seems dull,the new cast members are not likable-the stripper in particular.perhaps lily and or barney marshall should move to the subs, and ted should find his true love, as for barney he should hat meet someone tottally opposite a religious kook that converts him to religion.or else they should all ride off into the sunset.

I think it's a great show!

Author: kandisallyna from United States
24 October 2005

I love that they gave Aly a new show, she is so great and she deserves one. They stuck with the "kinky girl" persona the movie American Pie gave her, but I still like it. The show is funny and the characters are great. I can't wait to see who Ted ends up with. The TV show may be a little silly at times, but I like it a lot, and I intend to watch it every Monday night. I don't know if the show can have multiple seasons since it's a one story type of thing, but if they can figure out how to do it, then I hope they do it. Anyways, I give high praises to the show, and I hope it sticks around longer than some of these other TV series, like Head Cases. Kandis