IMDb > "How I Met Your Mother" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"How I Met Your Mother"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"How I Met Your Mother" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This show is fantastic!

Author: orlaithgra from United States
7 November 2005

I love this show!! It's one of the best sitcoms on the air and one of the best CBS shows!!! I disagree with the other comment - Barney is the best character. He's the funniest person on the show. I love how the entire ensemble has chemistry together!! It actually feels like they're friends in real life. And I don't think they need new writers, they just need to grow a little more. This show gets better with time. I laugh so hard with the show that my sides hurt every time I watch. I recommend this show to anyone that has a great sense of humor and wants to laugh until their sides hurt. I hope that this show has a long run on the air.

I hope this show is kept

Author: MarkOnline from United States
27 September 2005

I don't know if I have enough to say to fill up ten lines. I basically wanted to say that I think this is a funny show, and I hope the network keeps it. I especially like the twists and sense of mystery.

I've liked Alyson Hannigan for quite a while, and I think she's doing a great job in the first adult role I've seen her in (I can't believe she's already 31). I also think Doogie, I mean Neil Patrick Harris, plays his character really well. If you haven't seen him in "Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle", you should. Josh Radnor also does a very good job in his first leading role.

I agree that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but I think this show has a lot of elements that make a good series: good plot, good writing, good acting, and attractive cast). I think previous series like "Friends" have raised the bar very high for new sitcoms, but I hope that even if a series isn't destined to become the next "Friends," it can still be recognized as a good and worthwhile sitcom.

My favorite show on TV behind only Seinfeld.

Author: darkmanishere990 from United States
17 October 2005

What can I say about this show? The cast is awesome. The writers rock. The show is great. My favorite character is Barney. He is probably the main person I watch the show for. He is funny and brings a certain "something' to TV that it needs. It is totally the best new comedy in awhile. While it does have a laugh track - it isn't needed. Bob Sagget is right at home on this show playing the Dad. I think it is very fitting for him to be playing that role. The rest of the cast is great also. The guy who plays Ted is great at being the 'every day' guy and Marshall and his soon to be wife, Lilly are perfect together. As for Robin, well she is Robin and there is nothing wrong with her. I think everyone on this show including the regular cab driver are great. This show has everything and I hope everyone gives it a chance. I love it. It is legendary. Till next week Barney.

Good laugh for late twenty-somethings

Author: (kasiemahan) from United States
8 November 2005

I've enjoyed the first few episodes of this post "Friends" comedy. It really captures some of the humorous albeit awkward situations that late twenty-somethings are finding themselves in these days.

Alyson Hannigan once again presents her hilarious, quirky sense of style and humor. Along with her boyfriend, Marshall, they are an excellent representation of the couple who are trying to figure out an identity in the "not still partying like college kids, but trying not to be all grown up" stage of life.

The lead character, Ted, provides great entertainment. Audiences will be drawn in by his sensitivity and likability. He's not desperate to get married, but merely ready to find the One, tired of game playing.

Overall, I think this is a half-hour well spent. The humor is edgy, unpredictable, and you will find yourself reminiscing about those first few years after you graduated from college and struggled to find yourself out in the "Real World."

How I Met Your Mother is the best new show in a very long time!

Author: pmk-sjk from United States
13 October 2005

How I Met Your Mother is so worth watching! What great characters and amazing writing! This show is a Hit! Finally something to tune in to on Monday nights. Not since Friends have the characters on a sit com bonded like this. I love that there are 3 guys and 2 girls..The writing is fresh and in control and productive.....I particularly enjoy the Ted with the shirt episode - what a unique story line and all the characters just seem to work so well together. I love the added suspense of "who is Ted going to end up with". The character of Ted does an amazing job! He has such a cuteness and innocence about him that makes the whole premise of "How I Met Your Mother" really work and keeps the audience so tuned in to find out what is going to happen next! You have accumulated such a great staff of writers!!! Amazing new show! Our office is taking turns staging Monday night soirees to watch! This premise really works! Keep us the good work! Keep Monday night TV rolling along! Yeah!! Hilarious!

Grows on you

Author: emilyswope from Dallas, Oregon
27 October 2005

Watched the show, thought "Hm, I haven't decided if it'll stay or not". But then the next day, my husband and I are quoting it and want to watch it again.

We try again the next week, again with the quoting. I haven't watched a show where there are lines that stick with me like this for a very long time. The show wouldn't be anywhere without "Barney", but somehow none of its faults matter because I enjoy it just too darn much. Every episode there's a new line, haven't been disappointed so far, hoping it continues and gets even better.

I mean come on, with lines like: "Suit up!" "Phone Five!" "Not awkward guys, its only awkward if we make it awkward"

And the numerous variations of "suit up" are a hoot "Snow suit up!" "Flight suit up" I gotta say, I just enjoy it.

There isn't great philosophy, it has a laugh track, but I don't miss it and end up watching the episode a couple times because its the only things worth watching sometimes.

Sweet romantic comedy you must watch!

Author: server-8 from Bulgaria
26 June 2006

Excellent series to waste some time. Perfect for the romantic souls! The story is about five friends and their love adventures, mixed up with tons of funny stories. Ted is a lonely guy, who wants to make a family, but the girl he loves does not want a serious relationship and keeps cutting off his attempts to win her heart. Marshal and Lilly are Ted's best friends they are together for 9 years and are planning a wedding with all the consequences coming from that. Barny is the Casanova of the company. He's funny and arrogant in a very humouristic way. The director's method's are different and will keep your attention in these cute series.

Watch iT!

Author: Andrea from Canada
7 November 2005

When "How I Met Your Mother" first appeared on the small screen, I refused to watch it. But then I watched an episode (I think it was Episode 5 when they went to a club) and a thought it was pretty funny. I must admit that the new show isn't laugh-out-loud, slap-your-knee HILARIOUS...but it has potential to be great! Every character in the CBS show (5 in total) are likable but I must give extra kudos to the characters played by Alyson Hannigan (Lily), and Neil Patrick Harris (Barney). I may be biased towards my liking of Alyson Hannigan's Lily (due to her previous comedic roles: American Pie Series, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer) but she brings a charm and charismatic flair to the show. Also Neil Patrick Harris' Barney is GREAT!!! He basically plays a creep which I'm sure everyone is familiar with (because I know I sure am!). I find Barney hilarious!!! He IS that creepy guy at the club but that's what makes him lovable.

All in all this show has potential! As long as the stories, acting and writing keep up then I am definitely going to tune in! I think once people start getting to know the characters better, they'll start tuning in as well. Everyone always compares this show to "Friends" which didn't really get popular until after the first season. Hopefully, this show will continue to be funny and exceed our expectations. But WATCH IT!

Worst comedy I ever followed

Author: xyxymani from United States
17 May 2011

How can I say it respectfully? hmm.... It's disgustingly boring and insultingly illogical.

I admit that season 1 and 2 were extremely well made. Maybe it is the reason why I am now extremely disappointed. The writers only uses tricks of "sudden turns of events" to generate funny moments. Having watched many episodes of this show, all I see is that characters constantly changing their beliefs, decisions, and actions back and forth without any logical reasons: we two must break up, no, we must get back together, no, that's just impulse, we should still break up, no, that's true love, we must get back together, no, it's true love because we wanted it to be, we should break up......

The show is not making too much sense now. The five figures in the show don't have consistent characters any more. You can not ask such questions: "how could this person possibly do such a thing?" Because you won't have any logical answers. Maybe this is exactly what American shows are about: like fast food, you don't need to enjoy it, just swallow what is given to you. Sometimes, you stop and think "wait a minute, this doesn't make sense, doesn't XX just did something exactly the opposite a minute ago?" No, you can't. The writers just throw to you another contradictory joke and you are moving on.

I feel deeply insulted watching the show. I feel that the writers assume that audience never think deeper than the superficial meaning of the jokes while watching shows, which is not true.

Deeply disappointed.

Cute Little Show

Author: briannebytheseashore from United States
19 September 2005

I don't have much in the way of a review other than to say that based on the pilot, I think this show has a lot of potential to be a really good show. The cast is funny and endearing and the premise is fun. It might not be the most original idea for the show (think Wonder Years) but it has it's own little twist that should make for some interesting episodes. Hopefully next weeks episode will be just as watchable and entertaining. If you haven't checked it out, I recommend that you do. Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris are the perfect complements to the show. The rest of the cast is somewhat unfamiliar to me though I must admit. I recall seeing Jason Segel in Freaks and Geeks, but I haven't really seen him in anything as impressive since so hopefully he'll bring the same originality he showed as Nick to his new character, Marshall. Josh Radnor is the newcomer in the bunch and he is just perfect for the part. He's cute yet dorky, with a lovable charm that will certainly endear him to many female viewers. I see only good things on the horizon for this show and I hope it finds a permanent home at CBS.

Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]