IMDb > "Ghost Whisperer" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Ghost Whisperer"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Ghost Whisperer" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Keep whispering...People Are Listening!

Author: trudushkufan from United States
30 September 2005

I have just finished the second episode of "Ghost Whisperer," and I felt compelled to leave a comment. This is the best television show of the new season. Melinda Gordon (Jennifer Love Hewitt) own an antique shop, has recently gotten married, and deals with everyday stress. But unlike anyone else, she has the ability to help ghosts finish their unfinished business and cross over to the other side. The first episode started off as horror, with some extremely disturbing visuals. But it turned into one of the most emotional stories I have ever watched, and the second episode follows in that tradition. I am a guy, and most people think that either this is a chick flick, or a teen horror show, but that's not the case. This drama shows that you should never take things for granted and that you should always do the best you can do! Because you never know if tomorrow will come. There are some people who don't believe in ghosts, and some that do. Either way, this show deserves a chance because it makes the phenomenon believable with convincing performances and story lines.

I am glad to see "Ghost Whisperer" performed well in it's deathly time slot on a Friday night, and hope that it will continue. Jennifer Love Hewitt has always been one of my favorite actresses, but on this she really outdoes herself, playing a character more her age. She is all at once funny, sad, empathetic, scared, happy, angry, and peaceful all in a 45 minute range. She's really outdone herself with this show, and hopefully it will make people respect her as an actress even more than they already do. Please, no matter what you believe in, give this show a chance. It is worth the while!!

More than just a pretty face

Author: Rich La Bonte (flatrich) from Hollywood CA
24 September 2005

I liked Ghost Whisperer. I don't know how long it will last, but who can tell nowadays. (I figured Joan of Arcadia for a seven year run.)

At least Jennifer Love Hewitt is back and she's not reprising Party of Five this time. She's chasing ghosts, which allows her to do everything she does well except sing. (She has a great voice. Started out singing in Texas at age 3. Maybe she'll meet a singing ghost somewhere along the way.)

So it's Ghost Whisperer on CBS versus Medium on NBC and that may rankle Medium fans but Medium is on a different night and seems to be slowing down this season. I always tape Medium because it usually puts me to sleep in the last half-hour, despite the admirable talents of Patricia Arquette and Jake Weber and their wonderful TV kids Sofia Vassilieva and Maria Lark.

It isn't Jennifer Love Hewitt versus Patricia Arquette in any case. These two actresses are as different as night and day in look, style and approach. Both total pros and completely capable of leading a series.

I didn't like the Medium rip-off scene where a prophetic nightmare wakes Melinda (Jennifer Love Hewitt) in bed with her husband (David Conrad), but once you get past the obvious similarities GW goes way beyond Medium. Melinda doesn't depend on dreams. She sees ghosts everywhere, all the time. (The bedroom in Medium is that show's main set.)

Ghost Whisperer is no Dead Zone and it's not jumping on the post-X-Files backlash bandwagon like Supernatural either. It's more Touched By An Angel (a similarity that Dead Zone exec producer Michael Piller specifically instructs his writers to avoid.)

The Ghost Whisperer pilot did center entirely on Hewitt, but it's her show, after all. I wondered if they cut stuff out for time. References to what her husband does for a living were rather obviously thrown in as voiceovers until they briefly discussed his day as a paramedic, rather than showing him in action somewhere in the beginning to establish him.

I liked that producer Hewitt pulled in character actors Eddie Jones (ex-Pa Kent from Lois & Clark, the Invisible Man's boss, etc) and Jon Polito and also Wentworth Miller (from Prison Break) as guest stars. (And was that June Lockhart as Melinda's grandma? Sure looked like her.) Wentworth Miller reminds me so much of Steve McQueen that I'm hooked on Prison Break, despite the limited nature of that plot line. And the scene where guest Balthazar Getty (as Michael Adams) told Melinda off was terrific.

Anyway, there's no denying that Hewitt is beautiful and maturing as an actress. She has a great, expressive face. (I admit that the whole show could be shot in close ups and I'd probably still like it.) Modern former child actors like Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar and Seth Green knock me out because they always seem to know exactly what they're doing. They don't just stand around waiting while other actors deliver their lines. They're always "on".

But Hewitt is more than just a pretty face. (She could have been a Charmed One after Shannen Doherty left, but turned down the role.) I say let's see what happens with Ghost Whisperer. It may just be the surprise hit of the season.

Very well done.

Author: ALDP57 from United States
25 September 2005

The Ghost Whisperer is a really good show that has the potential to be great. The storyline for the pilot was very compelling and touching. I have watched Medium, but I prefer THe Ghost Whisperer primarily because of the fact that GW deals more with helping earthbound souls find their way to the other side and not about solving crimes. Jennifer Love Hewitt is a joy to watch and the rest of the cast seems to be well suited to their roles. The only problem I had was some of the dialog seemed too campy and a little rough around the edges, but that is common with pilots. I'm really looking forward to seeing more from this one.

I loved it

Author: newage-master from Canada
27 September 2005

I loved it. I thought it was a great show. It was fun, exciting, and even touching. The way Melinda (Jennifer Love Hewitt) would help those in need of answers from beyond the grave was one of the kindest things someone could do especially with her skill. The acting was believable and well maintained. And who can forget the cool outfits of the characters? I don't know why some people hated the opening credits so much. I'll admit the the theme song isn't the best but I thought that the presentation and the pictures were pretty cool too. I really hope this one doesn't get canceled I'd like to see what happens next in Melinda Gordon's life. I can't wait to see the next episode. I'll be tuning in.

I liked it.

Author: BuffySoprano from Akron, OH
25 September 2005

I am not a sappy person, nor do i like chick flicks.

Let me tell you, I REALLY liked this show. I cried 3 times from the touching scenes. Not TOUCHING scenes, emotional ones...what were you thinking? Give it a chance...J. Love is a decent actress who has had some stinker movies, but we've all got to pay the bills. Ladies, if ANYTHING watch it for the husband...

I was surprised to see Aisha Tyler in this show, and for the tiny amount of time she was in it, I thought she was very good.

The pilot was a little shallow in that they wanted to give you as much information as possible, but some areas need to be fleshed out. Give it a chance.

Humane and exciting

Author: Clifford04 from Sweden
5 December 2006

I was a bit worried at first if Jennifer Love Hewitt could pull this off, not that she isn't gorgeous and talented, but the occult has an inherent mushy quality. Gladly I can say that my apprehensions turned to dust. She does pull it off, and the scripting is excellent and varied enough – although the medium will regularly encounter and save a ghost, which sets the form fairly rigidly. Despite this I find that a lot of work has gone into varying the simple theme, the acting is good and the supporting cast is up to standard and especially, 'Love' manages to impart humane qualities without appearing too soft or weak. Some fun also with her mother-in-law. Entertaining and sometimes moving and thought-provoking series. What do we do with our lives? I should also add that the photography is up to movie standards, not uncommon in these days (vide: Lost), but a sign that those are right who claim that TV is where it is happening. We need at least 5 seasons of this and hopefully more.

Faith restoring!

Author: idbuyit2 from United States
26 November 2006

For anyone who has ever lost a love one and wants to believe they went to a better place. This show helps us do that. Week after week. I laugh, I cry and most of all I feel better after watching it. Its definitely a must see. And don't get me started on David Conrad/Jim Clancy. Talk about sexy! The chemistry between he and J. Love is perfect! The kind of relationship we all want. Then there's the wardrobes and the jewelry! This is the first time I've actually purchased an entire first season and I have watched them over and over again. It's that good! I see something new every time. And then there's the plot twists you never see coming.

Well worth watching!

Author: smee from Canada
30 October 2005

I have always enjoyed this type of story and have read and watched many of them. Ghost Whisperer has to be one of the best I've seen yet. Other than the news, I watch only two or three shows on TV. One of those is Medium which I thought was very good until Ghost Whisperer came on. Jennifer Hewitt is a pretty women but for me, her acting overshadows her beauty. In fact, all the acting is above the norm for TV. I hope that the writer will focus on David Conrad and Aisha Tyler to give them a chance to show their skills as well. Both play excellent supporting rolls and I suspect could enhance the show with a little more presence. With Medium, I'm disappointed with the rude kids, complaining husband and crybaby wife. The idea of the show is good but I don't expect it to last long because of the characters. Ghost Whisperer, on the other hand has everything going for it. May it live long and prosper!

The comfort food niche of TV

Author: Jetta91298 from United States
8 June 2007

If you want an edgy show on mediums, then watch Medium. Not that this show isn't edgy, instead I feel it fulfills a separate niche in the TV world - it's almost like comfort food. Ghost Whisperer completely surprised me. I thought it was going to be some dopey show that would be shown in reruns on Lifetime (ironically enough, they show reruns of Medium on Lifetime). Out of boredom one day I turned it on and was pleasantly delighted! Like I said before, it's not super edgy but it's cute, it's interesting, Jennifer Love Hewitt is very likable and her husband Jim is hot, to say the least. It keeps you interesting without layering on the sap. I even enjoy the small town and I am a complete city girl. Bottom line: it's one of those shows that you can curl up with a mug of tea or hot chocolate and a blanket and watch almost anytime - seriously it's like comfort food.

Great Show!

Author: Tigger_Trouble501 from United States
25 November 2006

Ghost Whisperer is an amazing show! To me, this is one of my favorite shows, along with CSI. Each episode is really good and it keeps me on the edge of my seat before each commercial, it leaves me wondering what it going to happen when the commericals are over. They are awesome and Jennifer is perfect for the role of Melinda. The plot of the show is really cool, because it's about someone that can talk to the dead, and most of us wish that we could talk to the dead, this show is awesome and there is no other way to describe it. If you love CSI and shows like that, then you'll love this show too!! I can't wait until Friday nights to sit down and put the fireplace on and watch ghost whisperer.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]