IMDb > "Everybody Hates Chris" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

I LOVE Chris

Author: flex498 from United States
22 September 2005

Tonight I saw the first episode of "Everybody Hates Chris". It is the first time I have seen a "situation comedy" in years that made me laugh aloud. I do not recall there being any laugh tracks which can be so annoying, especially when the track is the only laughter.

"Everybody Hates Chris" was so cleverly written that what could have been somewhat disturbing, like the schoolyard fight,was hilarious. The characters delivered their lines brilliantly. Chris's Mom has unique and rich lines that are not only funny, but they help define her character and the situation in which Chris lives. Somehow the writers manage to keep the adversaries from being hate objects - they simply move the funny storyline along.

I LOVE it. At last a REAL comedy.

A show that deserves a larger audience

Author: Reginald D. Garrard from Camilla, GA
18 April 2006

Airing on UPN, Chris Rock's "autobiographical" sitcom doesn't get the viewers that it so richly deserves. Besides being one of the best acted series in production today, the show has a stellar writing staff that supplies not only laughs but biting commentary about society, the mark of a good production team.

The performers are impressive, especially Tyler James Williams as the title character. His expressive face and on-time delivery makes him one of the best child stars in the business. The other kids in the cast (Taquan Richmond as younger, but larger, brother, Drew; Vincent Martella as Chris's friend Greg, and Imani Hakim as younger sister Tanya) are equally gifted, never appearing to be acting, just being youngsters.

Adult actors Terry Crews and Tichina Arnold as Chris's parents bring about the right balance of humor and authority to their roles. If there is justice in the Emmy Awards next year, Arnold should walk away with a statue.

Chris Rock's off-camera narration is another plus for the series, along with the musical soundtrack, featuring hit songs from the era.

A show about Chris Rock's childhood

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
22 September 2005

"Everybody Hates Chris" is another one of the best new comedies of 2005! The show is about Chris Rock's life as 13 year old and how he thought being a teenager was going to be fun when it turns out that it wasn't what he expected it to be and it shows on how he grew up in Brooklyn, New York with his younger brother and sister and his strict, hard-working parents. At first when I heard about this show I thought it was going to be a show where Chris Rock was playing a TV sitcom dad or something. It's really funny! Chris Rock is in the show but he is narrating the show while Tyler James Williams plays the 13 year old version of Chris Rock. Looks like UPN could have hit with this one. This is a hilarious show about most of Chris Rock's childhood life. At first when I read about this show before I saw ads for the show, I thought it was going to be a typical sitcom where it's based on a comedian who's a family man or something similar to any other sitcom that revolves around a comedian, but this is more original.

Funniest show on TV........period!!!!

Author: drtturner (drtroyturner@outlook.com) from philly
8 October 2005

I've seen two shows and it is decided that It is my favorite comedy presently. I didn't even think I would like it. Pam is great in her understated role of Chris's mother. In actuality, no one really hates the boy, although it would be a comical spin seeing that there are some kids who teachers and neighborhood adults hate and chastise for no apparent reason. The father, best known as the Jungle Fever muscle man from White Chicks does his usual visual comedy. The theme song "EVERYBODY HAA ATES CHRIS" is adorable and peppered throughout the show at cliff hangers right before commercials. As the show gets slammed by critics I see it as a gem that appeals to me taste whereas Everybody Loves Raymond never did. I could so relate to the coach who heavily woos the young strapping buck to be the star player as it happened to me at age 9 with basketball 15 with wrestling and even 19 with the military track and field team. I was laughing out loud as the coach hunted him down. I look forward to seeing more episodes of this.

Everyone loves Chris

Author: bookertkilla from United Kingdom
6 April 2006

This show should be called Everyone Loves Chris because Chris Rock is the funniest comedian alive.This show is what was missing on our TV's. We needed a family comedy sitcom that is a bit offensive and racial.When I first saw this show I thought it was so hilarious but as it goes on it keeps getting funnier and better.Chris Rock is the only guy that can find something funny out of his old horrible past.E.g. He make jokes about racism and him getting beat up when it actually happened to him.If he turned this show into a drama it will be just as good it will be full with emotion and pain.But this sitcom doesn't focus on the pain.It makes us look at the funnier side of life.

Move Aside Cosby!!

Author: ian-purnomo from Singapore
30 June 2006

I love this series! At first, my friend told me that it's the visualisation of Chris Rock's stand up comedies. It got me thinking if it's still going to be as funny as what I listened. But yeah it is. It delivers and delivers well indeed.

Let me break down what's so good about Everybody Hates Chris: The fantasy scenes. Most of them are taken from Chris Rock's thought that he performed in his stand ups. Obviously the one that finally got made in the series are the tame ones. However I like this feature because normally in the sitcoms, they just talk about it, not really showing the funny possibilities it ala the Simpsons or Family Guy. Although it take out some of the funny point that you have while imagining it, but so far Everybody Hates Chris shows the funniest non-cartoon fantasy scenes on TV.

A black comedy which is not that black. Without being racist, this comedy is not that 'black' I mean everybody can watch it, enjoy it, and relate to it. I don't think Everybody Hates Chris only applies to a specific race group. I am an Oriental dude and I still laughed my ass off watching the show.

A black comedy which is not being white. Now this is very important. Remember the Cosby Show, anyone? But I just think that it's too white, similar to Fresh Prince from Bel Air. Those shows were kind of like white people's comedy, but they have black actors. Without being racist again, the series shows a natural and honest look of African American family, where the father is not a doctor or a lawyer. They barely made the end's meet, not living in a house with ten bedrooms. But above all they are happy.

Chris Rock as the narrator did a great job in connecting the show with us in this time period. Many of his comments are showing the results of the trends or what happened in the period that affects popular culture in our period. For examples are the many hip hop references Chris narrated.

The soundtracks are awesome. The songs are in the same time period when the show is supposed to be set.

The kid's expression. The kid actors in the series are top-notch. They act naturally and I love their expressions. They seem to be innocent and their faces show a willingness to learn and to know new things, which are very typical kids' reaction to the new stuffs they experience.

Everybody Hates Chris is a great sit-com. If My Name is Earl is a great sit-com about white-redneck Americans living in a small town, Everybody Hates Chris does the same thing about African American living in a big city.

Almost EXACTLY like the real thing!

Author: imdb-8212 from United States
3 January 2006

This show had me laughing out loud in several spots throughout the season so far. It's set in Brooklyn in 1982 and follows Chris Rock and his Stingy penny pinching dad, his nickle millionaire mom, his younger "better looking" brother, and his bratty little sister as they try to fit in in a better neighborhood. It's not The Jeffersons, but more Good Times with most episodes covering conflicts within school or kid social interaction.

What really got me interested in this show is this: It reminds me of exactly the same thing I went through as a kid, except reversed. I was a white kid in a Ft. Worth, Tx. black school in 1982. Daily beatings were the norm. Just like Chris though, you grin and bear it and use it as a racial life lesson learned. Kudos Chris! Hope your show lasts a long time.

Better then I Thought.

Author: General_G from United States
2 October 2005

Finally, Chris Rock came out with something funny and finally UPN has a great show! I love Everybody Hates Chris. I'd say its better then Everybody Loves Raymond. Classic black comedy. Its a good thing Chris didn't take this to Fox or they would have canceled after two or three episodes because they don't know what there doing. So far the second episode is my favorite. That crazy guy who kept saying fool was funny and that guy that was on fire, literally! I love stuff like that. Comedy you don't have to think about. Just some guy running down the street thats on fire and you cry laughing because its so funny. I hope they have plenty of that in this show. Way to go Chris Rock!

No,Chris,everyone DOESN'T hate you...

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
4 May 2007

...in fact,I'd say that most people who get to know Chris Rock should end up loving him. Or at the very least,liking him.

Sort of a 80s,urban take on "The Wonder Years",this is also an era show(since I grew up during this period,I am very glad to see a show like this),with the early to mid 1980s and Brooklyn,New York as the backdrop. Chris Rock,circa 1983 thru 1985,is hardly the Chris Rock we seem to know now: he's a very average,neurotic kid who worries about impressing the girls,being a good student and NOT incurring the wrath of his parents(among other things).Rock narrates as an adult,and Tyler JAmes Williams plays him as the pre-teen. Being a sitcom,of course there is plenty of the easy,comedic rhythm that you'd expect out of a show of its make,only the just a touch of sharp,knowing sass and a 21st century sensibility to it.

A very fine supporting cast sports Terry Crews and Tichina Arnold as CHris' dad and mom,Imani Hakim as his younger sister and Tequan Richjmond as his older(?)brother,and Vincent Martella as is his best friend. I've only FINALLY nailed down when this show runs(and where the local CW is located on the dial),so I must confess that I've only seen a handful of shows,but what I've sen is quite good. Perhaps its' Rock's guidance that makes this show wise,sharp yet gentle,but I think all the right elements are at play here. I think I can say that I've ran across a show that's set in the '80s that actually gets the cultural and time elements right,not merely smoosh them together so as to create instant recognition("That 80s Show",anyone?). Worth the half-hour investment.

Great for kids and good for adults who can relate

Author: edesir-1
28 October 2005

I'm in the same wavelentht with Chris, being 40 and busing to my own "Corleone JHS" mines was Brooklyn's Hudde JHS. In reality the crap that Chris would have endured would have been between 1978~80. The racial tension was heavier then. My 14 y/o son enjoys the show and so do I. Why do I think they chose to use 1982 as the main time line? Is because before 82' nothing was really going on in sense of music and fashion. We were more into the funky wear and funky music like the Commadores. Chris does a great job reminding us of what Brooklyn was like. I hope it stays on for awhile.

Do or Die Bed Sty! :)