IMDb > "Lucky Louie" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lucky Louie"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Lucky Louie" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

The point of Lucky Louie

Author: kmanton from United States
16 April 2006

In no way is it supposed to be groundbreaking like Six Feet Under, The Sorpranos, or any other HBO programming. Lucky Louie is a sitcom that is filmed, and can be shown, on HBO. They intentionally aren't trying to break the box here, folks; that's the point. I am looking forward to this show because I am sick and tired of the generic, pansy, overly formulaic, and frankly unfunny sitcom shows on network TV (and by this I don't mean My Name Is Earl, The Office, or Arrested Development, but of the Freddy, Dharma and Greg variety). This show will be a breath of fresh air and will give me a great night of comedy (Entourage, Lucky Louie and Tourgasm). I can't wait.

Also, I'm sad to report that cast member Jim Norton might not make season 2 because of his battle with AIDS. I'm currently watching his puppy and refilling his broth bowl. Thoughts and prayers.

Potty Humor, yes.

Author: kdogg427 from United States
17 June 2006

...But my crap stinks so I don't consider this a bad thing. In reality, people make dirty jokes, and do dirty things. If you can not deal with that like an adult and laugh, then go back to first grade.

With that out of the way. This show has great potential. People smoke, drink, and have sex. And what I like is that topics aren't tip-toed around like in network sitcoms. The shows adults act like adults, instead of saints. They do things that people really do, and say things people really say.

Bottomline: it doesn't pull punches to please people that think they are above anything with an 'F' bomb and masturbation. These things really exist, and people need to grow up, and realize this.

A bold new comedy using some brutal honesty about sex and relationships

Author: Floydian_Slip86 from United States
26 June 2006

Having watched the first three episodes of Lucky Louie I have to say I am impressed by the real world issues it choose to deal with through comedy. However, if really talking about sex makes you feel awkward, or you feel grossed out by male nudity, then this show is most likely not for you. Otherwise be prepared for some laugh out loud moments depicting a struggling young family as they deal with issues ranging from female orgasms, to racism. While this show is not where you are going to lean any profound lessons regarding these topics, it confronts them head-on in a manner that is very edgy even in today's culture. If you are open minded enough to think there is such a thing as sophisticated, gross-out humor, then you should find plenty of that here. The jokes are well executed 90% of the time and nearly the entire show is very well acted. My two complaints are the shoddy looking set design, and the 'laugh track' audience which can sometimes get annoying. These are minor complaints if what your looking for is a good laugh. The reality these characters live in is far more compelling than any sitcom out there today.

Excellent, refreshing, original

Author: thegenerator-1
27 December 2006

This is a very good and refreshing show that makes you laugh out loud and surprises you each episode.

I don't really get it why they cancel it and immediately schedule a DVD release?

Maybe it was too real for HBO to deal with and they've gone soft!

Anyway, this small little show should have gotten a second chance because it really had the potential to become a cult series. I really don't get what's up with cancelling all these nice shows nowadays and lame stuff keeps on running for years. What's up with that?

Your loss HBO. Seriously.

So funny, but definitely not for the timid viewer

Author: AgentThirt33n from United States
11 July 2006

After viewing the first few episodes of this sitcom I feel compelled to let my fellow IMDb-ers know that they may well extend their life spans by seeing this show! That may seem to be an idle promise, but if the old adage "Laughter is the best medicine" holds any truth whatsoever, then this may be the fabled Fountain of Youth! It should be mentioned here that it is necessary for the viewer to be comfortable with base humor and some male frontal nudity. I enjoy all types of comedy, from Pee-Wee Herman's silliness to the time tested Three Stooges slapstick, from Rowan Atkinson's brilliant pantomime to the highbrow satire of Fawlty Towers. I think this show may set a new standard for modern ribaldry! The story involves a poor family with one child, living in a shabby tenement building and doing what they need to survive in an unusually unfair world. Many story lines revolve around the couple's desire to have a satisfying sex life while trying/not trying to conceive a second child. Their discussions are frank and to the point with many instances of crude language (never in the presence of their lovely daughter, however). Also, Louie (played by Louis C. K.) has a heck of a time convincing his African-American neighbors that he isn't a racist, while circumstances conspire against him to seemingly prove just the opposite. I laughed until my sides hurt because I imagined that this was art imitating life in a real and honest fashion. Let's face it, most people will be themselves when they think there is no-one watching, and I KNOW you're all imperfect, just like me. Enjoy the mirror's reflection, if you're not too self-righteous!

Raunchy but Hilarious

Author: cpwebb from Alexandria, VA
31 July 2006

Sorry huston huddleston from Sherman Oaks CA, you were obviously watching HBO's L Channel - that is one of HBO's channels that broadcasts movies and episodes in Spanish. If you watch it on regular HBO or the 4 versions, I assure you the show is in English.

But I think if you have any degree of prudishness this show wouldn't be for you. Basically this is the kind of comedy Roseanne would have put on in her prime, if HBO gave her a show. The characters are working class, struggling to keep themselves above water and basically crudely real. Not everyones family is this way - but I sure have encountered them in the course of my life. Basic message Huston is that you don't have to mind your P's & Q's to be decent humans - even if your life is a bit rough around the edges.

It's Not Too Late! Bring This Show Back To The Airwaves!

Author: D_Burke from United States
3 January 2009

Television is a strange industry. It just astounds me sometimes how a show with a devoted following (although not too high ratings) gets canceled without a TV network giving it the chance to let the word of mouth spread. After all, "Seinfeld" didn't get strong ratings when it debuted, but it eventually went on to be the #1 show on television. And it seems strange that while mediocre shows like "According to Jim" and "Will & Grace" are on for at least five seasons, great shows like "Arrested Development", "Freaks & Geeks", and "Sports Night" get the shaft early on.

That said, DVD releases seem to be God's gift to TV. If it wasn't for TV shows being released to DVD, the aforementioned shows would be cast into oblivion without more people knowing how great they are. "Lucky Louie" can certainly be added to this list of great shows that were canceled too soon, and would have been unheard of had it not been for its DVD release.

I bought the entire season on a whim at an out-of-business sale a local movie and music store was having. I vaguely remember it being on HBO a few years ago, and I know Louis C.K. is a big name in the comedy writing world. So I gave it a shot not knowing exactly what to expect. I later popped the first disk into my DVD played, watched the first episode, and the next thing you know, I couldn't stop watching it. It was that good.

The show's premise is not entirely original, but it is a refreshing change from sitcoms where characters live in places they clearly can't afford with no visible means of income to support themselves. It's also good to see that in this 30-minute sitcom, the problems are surprisingly real, and they're not entirely solved by the end of the episode, nor are they forgotten about by the next episode. This element of familiarity adds real depth to the characters, and makes for very intriguing storytelling, something that has been lacking from a number of sitcoms over the last twenty years.

Louis C.K. is like Conan O'Brien in the sense that he originally made a name for himself behind the camera, such as on "Saturday Night Live" and "The Chris Rock Show". His acting wasn't great on the pilot episode, and you could see signs of some nervousness initially. However, as the episodes progressed, he really got into his character and made the whole show work.

Also noteworthy is Pamela Adlon, who plays his wife Kim. She works very well off of C.K., she looks like someone who would be married to an average guy, and she acted like a lot of people I know in similar situations. She was just a very genuine character.

Of course, the freedom to swear and show nudity on HBO is the most obvious thing that differentiates this sitcom from even the edgiest network sitcoms. Any experienced comedy professional, including the most explicit comedians, can tell you that profanity in comedy is not funny in and of itself. It has shock value, but can kill the laughs when used in excess. If anyone understands that, it's Louis C.K. and the other actors on this show. There is swearing, but it's funny. If the swearing was taken out when aired on a network TV station, this sitcom would find itself on a standstill. It also would have a hard time incorporating the brilliant supporting actors who are underrated stand-up comics Rick Shapiro and Jim Norton, who are known for their dirty mouths but are still funny. "Lucky Louie" was lucky to find its place on HBO.

I was just surprised that HBO canceled it as quickly as it did. Naturally, HBO made its name with original dramatic series including "The Sopranos" and "Oz", but they really should reconsider giving an edgy half-hour sitcom like this one another chance. One could argue that people don't normally turn to HBO for that type of show, but hour long dramatic series used to be exclusively for network TV. HBO may not bring this sitcom back from the grave, but they should have realized what kind of gem they had in their possession. In the long run, though, Louis C.K. has gotten more exposure, and he has since had his own hour-long stand-up special on none other than HBO. At least something good came out of the show being canceled in addition to a proper DVD release.

"Lucky Louie" was a brilliant show that was shorter lived than it should have been. I recommend anyone who has not seen it yet to go to your video store, or go on Netflix, and rent the first disk with the first six episodes. You may find yourself immediately wanting to see the next disk.

Original adult entertainment in the truest sense

Author: Ata-2 from LA
19 June 2006

I just watched the first episode of this show and I can't remember when I saw a sitcom where I laughed so much. The characters are hilarious in a very real way. In virtually every sitcom the dialog is one amusing anecdote after another. No one talks like that. The only way anyone is going to talk like that is if they memorized a script. Although the dialog in the show is funny and anecdotal, its something that you can believe a real-life character would say. That makes it a work of genius because obviously many have tried and few have succeeded. There is plenty of swearing, and bedroom scenes with depiction of sex. That may put some people off. However these scenes feel very real as if you are spying on the couple next door. It makes you cringe but it makes you laugh like hell.

One of the most hilarious sitcoms ever!

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
14 August 2006

Rated TV-MA for Strong Language and Sexual Content. Quebec Rating:13+ Canadian Home Video Rating:14A Canadian TV Rating:14+

Lucky Louie is the latest sitcom from HBO.It plays on the movie network in Canada.I have seen a couple of episodes and this show is hilarious!.This is one of the best and hilarious sitcoms in recent years.It also might be the start for very adult oriented sitcoms.This sitcom is much different from others.You wont find this one on FOX.This show has plenty of profanity(including the f-word and the c-word),graphic sexual dialogue and sexual content.Definitely not for little kids.This show is about a mechanic named Louie who lives with his wife and daughter.In each episode he,his family and his friends get into many hilarious misadventures.Lucky Louie is a hilarious sitcom that you will not want to miss.

Runtime:30min

Brilliant - but too obscene for prissy yanks.

Author: shazrahman from Finland
14 September 2008

This is a brilliant show, Louis C.K is a genius for unleashing a very genuine show that gets under your fingernails and gets them dirty.

The show captures real life as experienced by an average Joe, living in a crappy apartment with a crappy job. Maybe this was a bit too real for Americans? Or perhaps the liberal use of bad language appalled them. Either way, Only one season was mad - alas.

Pamela Adlon is brilliant, for a short woman she demands the presence of a heavyweight boxer (and probably more dangerous?). Excellent actress.

Louis - if your bored of America - come to Europe Im sure we would find a place for you :)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]