IMDb > "My Name Is Earl" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"My Name Is Earl"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"My Name Is Earl" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Jason Lee is perfect in this show and it was great!

Author: jdunham3 from Austin, TX
20 September 2005

My husband and I are great fans of Jason Lee's movie roles. We were really looking forward to this show and it totally delivered. You know a show is good if the funniest jokes aren't wasted in the trailer. Funny, well-written with great timing and direction. I instantly set my DVR to record all episodes to make sure I don't miss a single one. I thought the premise was very unique and while Earl appears to be a stereotype, there are unplumbed depths. The peripheral characters are a hoot, the choice of music also elicited quite a few laughs.

I am hoping the rest of the season holds up to the extremely well-done pilot. I think this really could be a classic, besides we have the promise of 258 possible episodes!

12/27 Footnote: The show has exceeded all my expectations and I am happy to see Earl adding to his list - so we could have inifinite episodes - yippeee.

pilot was fantastic, can it continue...

Author: knifeintheeye from Canada
21 September 2005

OK, it was only one episode, but it was very funny. Jason Lee, best known to me, from Mumford and most Kevin Smith movies, was perfect. His dumb brother, Randy, played by Kevin Smith alum, Ethan Suplee was fun as well. Jaime Pressly oddly was the best cast. ALthough I believed the brothers were redneck bums, down on there luck, house breaking into losers...Jaime was the best suited to her character. She was picture perfect as the just a little too old, old time beauty queen tramp. She was a blast. In fact all the characters had features of them that stood out. I'm marking Tuesday night at 8 pm on my calender. This show (if one show is any indication...) is a keeper.

9 out of 10 or better.

update...

Season One is just ending, and yes, the show chugged along nicely throughout the season. Too bad it's already changed nights (to Thursday opposite CSI) but that's a small price to pay for a funny show like this one. Here's to a great second season, cheers.

Great new show! If you like the Coen brothers films, you might love this

Author: Billie from United States
21 September 2005

I saw the first episode of "My Name Is Earl" last night, (9 p.m. on NBC) and I just had to plug it. I thought it was brilliant - wonderfully cast, written, and directed. I hope the show is a hit and keeps it up.

If the Coen brothers wrote and directed a TV sitcom, it could be very much like this show.

The premise is simple: Earl (the very likable Jason Lee, often seen in Kevin Smith films, and whose on screen demeanor sometimes reminds me of Chevy Chase in his youthful prime) is Earl, a small-time raggedy thief who snags a $100,000 winning lottery ticket. Seconds later he's mowed down by a car, and the ticket floats away in the breeze. While recovering in the hospital, doped up on morphine, he watches a TV show with MTV host Carson Daly talking about doing good deeds so that good things will happen to you...and he comes up with the the idea of repairing his mess of a life by making a list of all the people he's harmed in the past, tracking them down one by one, and making amends however he can.

When Earl briefly thinks of backing out on his plan, the ticket miraculously floats back seemingly out of nowhere..inspiring him to keep up the good work. Karma is a funny thing, as the tagline says.

The inimitable evil vixen Jaime Pressley (as his trashy ex-wife Joy) is part of a great supporting cast, and the superior writing and directing of the show gives it a comedic, quirky quality that reminded my husband and myself of Coen brothers' films such as "Raising Arizona". I hope the show can keep the quality up as the season progresses. The bar's been set pretty high with this first episode.

Anyway, "My Name Is Earl" is on NBC on Tuesdays at 9:00. Give it a whirl, and let's keep this one on the air, as long as the creators can maintain the quality of its premiere. As long as it keeps its sharp wit and avoids sinking into maudlin sentimentality, it should stay a winner.

FINALLY! Been hungering for something fresh and new like this!

Author: root leaf from wilmington, nc
2 October 2005

I haven't gotten into anything new as far as a live action series since Seinfeld went off the air. Most comedy series are lame, not funny and predictable with laugh tracks.. Its like, "Oh, I was supposed to laugh at that?". Finally with "Earl" there is something new to get into watching again with an original idea. This show is very funny, has great characters, scenes, directing and doesn't prompt you to laugh with a laugh track. Jason Lee was on Leno a week or so ago pluggin his show and is really funny, and talks much the same as his character. Guess thats how he delves into it so easy. I hope this show sticks around for a while. After years of Reality TV and a bunch of played out stupid comedy series this is a welcome treat!

Finally, funny TV!

Author: Peter L. Wargo from Santa Fe, NM
23 September 2005

I'm not much of a TV watcher anymore, as most stuff these days doesn't appeal to me, especially the whole "reality TV" trend. It's not often that a show comes along that is original in concept (or, at least in presentation!), and that makes me laugh all the way through.

Having said this, we caught this show on the TiVo, and it's just plain funny. It's more for mature audiences, and if you grew up in redneck USA (like I did) in the 80's, it'll leave you in stitches. Plus, there is a bit of a message presented as well. "Do good deeds to others, and good things will happen to you." In a sort of bizarre, twisted way, you could call this the "Kung Fu" of the 00's.

Lee does an excellent job of narration and acting, and the rest of the cast is pretty much perfect at their roles, even in the first episode. I had never really heard of him until his (quite good) performance in "The Incredibles", but his acting is really impressive.

It's funny. Best stuff I've seen in years. Watch it and see for yourself.

Finally something original

Author: wellscats from United States
21 September 2005

I loved the show........but what I loved most was finally seeing something that showed some semblance of an original thought. Time will tell how good or bad this show is but I think it is off to a great start..Almost every show that debuts today is simply the repackaging of a previous idea or concept.My name is Earl is an obvious attempt to provide something different and hopefully far better than todays traditional boiler-plate sitcom model.Expect that this show will break new ground in television and someday will be mentioned with other shows like "Married with Children " or" All in the Family" that stretched the limits while showcasing the dysfunctional direction of family life in todays America.

This Show is So Good That I Expect It To Be Cancelled

Author: John Penning from United States
26 September 2005

I rarely watch sitcoms any more because they are normally both inane and indistinguishable from one another. This show may actually induce me to watch it on a regular basis. If you liked "Raising Arizona", you just might like "My Name Is Earl". After I watched the first episode I did an online search to find out who the creative forces were behind it. In doing so I stumbled into a review that described Earl as the illegitimate son of Nicholas Cage in "Raising Arizona". That just about nails the character. In In fact, while recounting the season opener to a friend who had missed it, I nearly called Earl, Hi. Catch it before it's gone. If you didn't think the first episode was brilliant, then this show is just not for you.

One of this seasons Best new shows

Author: jhanratty from Elizabethtown, PA
21 September 2005

I am a Jason Lee fan and when I saw the advertisements for his show, I was a little skeptical. I thought it was going to be all hype and not funny. But,I watched the premiere last night and I couldn't stop laughing. You have to understand the humor to get the jokes, but it is so worth it. I think this is going to be a huge hit for NBC and Lee. The cast was awesome and a great combination. It is nice to see Jason Lee and Ethan Suplee on the screen together again.If you get the chance watch this show. You won't be sorry. It is also followed by another great show The Office. I think they work well together. Tuesday nights are better than they used to be.I hope that NBC keeps this show around for several seasons.

Looks like this show is going to have a good run!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
20 September 2005

"My Name Is Earl" is one of the funniest new shows of 2005! "My Name Is Earl" is about this guy named Earl (Jason Lee) who is a redneck and one day he wins $100,000 off a lottery ticket and then decides to make a list of things that he did wrong from his past with his new realization about how much his life sucks. So I think this show will probably be a hit and go for a few seasons since I'm sure that every episode is going to be where he is checking off his list and making sure that his life gets better. This show premiered on NBC, September 2005.

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: SOUNDS LIKE THIS SHOW WILL HAVE A GOOD AMOUNT OF EPISODES!

good stuff

Author: cdb33 from United States
22 September 2005

This show was really funny. Jason Lee kills me any time anything comes out of his mouth in this show. His character is like Brodie from Mallrats all grown up. Ethan Slupe looks like he's shed a few pounds, but he's also GREAT in his role. These small town rednecks that everyone in town probably crosses the street when they see these 2 brothers walking their way on the same sidewalk. Wise cracks in true Lee style, with his goofy smile-almost as funny as the punchline to most of the jokes on the show. It's almost as good as if Kevin Smith himself directed & produced the show himself I hope this show continues to be as funny as the pilot & stays on the air for years and years to come.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]