IMDb > "E-Ring" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"E-Ring"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"E-Ring" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not Crap At All

Author: Francisco Aliberti from Brazil
16 January 2009

By far the best example of American war-on-terror so far. Muslims = evil terrorists. US military intelligence saves the world from Muslims. Civilian bureaucracy and international opinion is threatening to the nation just as much as terrorists, maybe more. Europeans aren't bad. Israelis are good. Hamas is bad. Acting is emotional and silent, most of the time, which proves that the actors are good if they can transmit what they want without words. The dialogs are strong and decisive, most of the time making you want to go back to hear it again, and serves the purpose of explaining how evil the terrorists are and how heroic the Americans are.

There is a small attempt to introduce a romance but they focus more on the friendship relationship between the co-workers. The producers also have thrown in the mandatory "good Muslim", just to explain that there are, in fact, some Muslims that are not rotten to the bone, which is hard to believe. In essence the show is nothing more than very good US propaganda. I have no doubt that stupid ignorant narrow minded Swedish people won't understand the meaning of this show.

As long as shows like this keep pumping out, showing that the world is in fact black and white and that complex political problems can't be solved by bureaucratic politicians, there is still hope for this world. It's not only good. It's a must have.

What Happened to E-Ring

Author: ken-robinson-1 from Beverly Hills, CA
28 May 2008

This is a fair question and deserves a candid answer.

The show was caught up in many factors that push and pull a series in its first year.

First, was the schedule, we were positioned against LOST on our first night, with Martha Stewart as our LEAD IN (the show, prior to ours). We suspected that the Martha crowd would not be the same demographic that would consume E-Ring, and knew that putting a new show, directly opposite the biggest drama on television was going to make life a challenge. I asked about the wisdom of this, as it looked self-defeating from the start.

The collective wisdom of NBC exec's was "trust us, we know what we are doing." Well, when that didn't work, the network moved us on the schedule each week, sometimes without even telling the audience, sometimes telling the audience the wrong night. We asked again WTF, how about some advertising, like they do on CBS, where they clearly know how to launch a show? The collective wisdom of NBC exec's was "trust us, we know what we are doing." We had good numbers of total viewers, numbers NBC would kill for this year, but they were not the demographic advertisers want. Simply, older audiences are not valued by Hollywood, because they are not impressionable, they are not impacted by impulse ads; they already have a brand loyalty.

Younger people are more desired, because they don't yet have a brand loyalty, and impulse purchase. Television dramas are simply a vector designed to deliver "commercials." Sports, and ultimately the Olympics were the shows undoing. The network would not cross-promote the show, across their other outlets, the promotions department lost confidence in it, because younger people (18-29) did not tune in. We made the argument to hire younger actors, like the show that was originally pitched.

We explained that young people had changed their viewing habits with the invention of TIVO, I-pods, and more choice across the spectrum of cable.

The collective wisdom of NBC exec's was "trust us, we know what we are doing." So, once the network programming went DARK for the Olympics, our fate was sealed. You see, we were an expensive show, with a high license fee to NBC, and an expensive build for Warner Brothers -- so, as the network went dark, they immediately scrambled to find REALTY replacements for shows deemed vulnerable when programming started back up.

To hedge their bet, we continued to produce all episodes (each got better and better), for a total of 22. The is what I would refer to as the golden age of our production, because the network lost interest, and therefore stopped providing us their help, and wisdom, and we were able to make the show I pitched, and they bought, without their notes.

Audiences globally have responded to those episodes as being the best.

But when it came time to return to air, the ax fell, and DEAL OR NO DEAL (one host, 60 female breast on 30 blond women) destroyed what al Qaeda, and all the global threats could not. The show went dark, with a promise to burn the episodes off over the summer.

This never happened, which was a shame for all the wonderful actors on the show.

We asked NBC why not burn the work off, let it be seen. We were told the episodes were too good, and the execs were afraid of looking foolish for having canceled the show. We asked about DVD release, same answer.

So, the show was sold to a smart network - FX who distributed it overseas, globally, where it has been a success in every market.

For the domestic USA audience, my only advice is to ask Warner/NBC to release it on DVD (but I suspect there is also a tax reason they decided to spend millions on programming that was never to be viewed.

I made a final argument for a DVD sale when I found pirated copies of the show being sold on the global market. Clearly there was a demand, why not fill it, vice having the intellectual property stolen, without a fight? Silence.

So, we, the writers, producers, cast, and crew are thankful for the fans that continue to search for episodes, and continue to blog about the show. We really are speechless as to what the network was 'really" thinking.

I guess we should just "trust them, they clearly know what they are doing." KLR Beverly Hills, CA

E-Ring

Author: gjgreen from United States
10 December 2007

All I want to say is that this was one of the best shows that came out during that time period. Never missed an episode.

I am retired from the Army and absolutely loved the show. I am waiting for the Series to come out on DVD. The characters and actors were fantastic. This was one hell of a show, that should have NEVER been canceled. I keep waiting for another station to pick it up. Someone please read this and do something (tv stations).

This is one show that could go on and on for many seasons, if the powers to be (politicians) would stay out of this. Anyone notice when this was canceled? Does Afghanistan or Iraq ring a bell?

Geography

Author: Cat_2026 from Venezuela
10 September 2006

Most of Hollywood directors should really take a geography class, specially one about Colombia... When are they gonna get Bogota is a LARGE CITY with a COLD weather not a freaking small warm town as they keep showing it!!!! I think this is a really interesting series, but things like that make me not wanna see it anymore, because if the director or whoever is responsible for knowing the facts about the country they are making the scene in, doesn't care about how the Colombians lives, why should they care about his TV show??? This is so offensive and needs to be change... Bogota is a city that deserves to be seen as it really is, just beautiful.

This is one of the greatest shows I have ever seen

Author: fwgrhouse from United States
29 April 2006

This is one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. I'm a big fan of military- style movies and TV shows and e-ring is just the movie for anyone interested in military style shows. This show is pretty much the same as the west wing only it deals with the military, so instead of having the white house you have the pentagon, instead of government officials you have military officials, instead of the president you have the joint chiefs of staff, and instead of handling with laws, you handle with planning missions. I feel that it gives a good idea with how the military works because it takes you into the pentagon itself. I really hope that they come back with new episodes and not replace it with some stupid comet like my name is earl or the office.

Why Do They Stop Running the Good Shows!!!

Author: pamangel49-2 from California Transplant in Texas
21 March 2007

I loved this show!!! But it just disappeared???!!! Were the ratings that bad???? With all the ---- they have on now, there is nothing to look forward to. Bring it Back!!! The characters were believable and the cast they assembled was great. I just don't understand!!! Especially since they didn't even air all the episodes. Is there no way to get in touch with Warner Bros. Television make a point with them?? I feel like I need to just keep my television turned off these days. I guess the target age is below me and I am just crazy to think the networks care if we don't fit into that. I want to see more of Benjamin Bratt on television. I hope something else is planned.

E-Ring

Author: Pamala
9 March 2006

I really enjoy E-ring, it is a riveting show, that while it may contain technical errors, is doing a good job of providing an hour's entertainment that I look forward to every week. I do wish the station would stop bouncing it around all over the place, though. Major Tisnewski is an ideal soldier, and the rest of the group seem to care about each other. It is a fast-paced drama that does require one to pay attention to keep up, but I usually find that it's easy to stay absorb in the show. The only problem I have with the show is I do wonder if a real person in Tisnewski's position would find himself in the field that often. I also hope the "love interest" with the lawyer doesn't go anywhere, I'd hate to see the show go down the road of a scandal caused by love. I think both are capable of finding true love elsewhere. Or, perhaps write Tisnewski into another position that would allow the affair to proceed without tarnishing their reputations.

Master Sargent Pierce

Author: W F Richardson from United States
16 November 2005

I cant seem to catch sight long enough to see if she has 3 or 4 hash marks (one for each 4 years of service) but I do see one thing that never has(or ever will) happened in the USMC. E-8 and not one (1) good conduct ribbon. Come on. Also there is the little thing of the security clearance. This position requires a minimum of a Top Secret/Single Scope Background investigation and I know from personal experience that with no good conduct ribbons she would never have been given that position. Whoever is doing the technical stuff on this program (as with most military programs) is missing out on a lot of stuff.). I did 26 years in the US Navy and these military shows are popular with us old guys just so we can pick out the errors. Also her ribbons are out of precedence order. Give this woman her proper honors.

E-Ring - Uniform Error - Marine MSGT

Author: Doug Jennings from United States
10 November 2005

Please fix the collar insignia on the Master Sergeant working for the Colonel. As a former Marine it just gets to me. The EGA (Eagle, Globe, and Anchor's)on the lapels of all Marine uniforms are always affixed to the lapels with the Anchors pointed INBOARD. Toward the center of the uniform blouse. I Like the show - Have a little trouble with Dennis Hopper as a Army officer, but he carries it off well. Great actor. So Far.... pretty good plot lines. I like the continuing episodes with a building story line and chacters. Don't forget "FIX" the MSGT's Uniform!! Thanks

Doug Jennings Jacksonville, Fl

Detail

Author: ironteacher from Italy
15 October 2006

This is an excellent show but they should pay more attention to detail. The episode about catching chemical warfare terrorists in Amsterdam London Washington etc. had two basic mistakes One: Kings Crossing station does not exist in London it's King's Cross Two: English policemen have not had whistles since the '60s they have radios on their left shoulders.

I would have thought they could spend a little money on these details as they make you think that other things in the show are not quite as accurate as they should be. Surely they should employ someone to check these small details especially about foreign countries when they show is shown in these countries.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]