IMDb > "E-Ring" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"E-Ring"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"E-Ring" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

clear violation of "Posse Comitatus" and treason

Author: steven_j_blake from United States
16 November 2005

There is a serious problem here with the show "e-ring" being sponsored by and having partial creative control in return for access by the pentagon, tonight's show, sickeningly named "delta does Detroit" shows clear and flagrant violations of Posse Comitatus, a foundational element of our country and our democracy, a bright blood red line against the use of the military in any law enforcement involving us citizens or others in the US by the military.

In addition portray the FBI as an impotent useless bureaucracy that can do no better than push papers around and would be happy to have the pentagon take care of all national law enforcement.

Otherwise the production values are good and Bratt does a good job of portraying a self-righteous self-important treasonous "ends justify the means" circle in the crack.

I would say people should not watch this show, but I think you should, so you can listen and understand the siren song being sung by the pentagon to the generation of Americans who watch this show and are educated as to how America should be run by these shows.

don't believe me? just keep this statistic in mind: the average American is now watching 6 to 9 hours of television.

The president has already stolen the unconstitutional right to declare war at will from the people of the united states, among other blatant anti-American acts, such as torture of American citizens, authorizing the CIA to operate nationally, with assassination powers, when will we wake up?

Steven James Blake Citizen of The United States of America NOT the "STATE" of America

Crap

Author: cityjeppe from Sweden
6 July 2006

By far the worst example of American war-on-terror propaganda so far. Summary: Muslims = evil terrorists. US military intelligence saves the world from Muslims. Civilian bureaucracy and international opinion is threatening to the nation just as much as terrorists. Europeans are bad. Israelis are good. Acting is limited to harsh faces and simple lines. The dialog is frightening bad and only serves the purpose of explaining how evil the terrorists are and how heroic the Americans are. There is a lame attempt to introduce a romance but is so utterly boring that watching ice freezing is more sexy. The producers also have thrown in the mandatory "good Muslim", just to explain that there are, in fact, some Muslims that are not rotten to the bone. In essence the show is nothing more than US propaganda. I have no doubt that the already brainwashed American audience will love this show. But for non-American viewers its just an other flabbergasting example of American ignorance and hawkish war-mongering. As long as shows like this keep pumping out its black and white pictures of complex political problems, there is little hope for the world. It's not only bad. It's dangerous.

Rather boring...

Author: buiger from Monaco
17 April 2012

Nothing special. The series never managed to get above par and actually become involving. The main problem was that the principal premise on which the whole thing is based was wrong. In each episode, the good guys are trying to convince the bad guys (the bureaucrats) that they need to utilize special ops for this or that reason.

The result was basically boring after the first episode. So much more could have been made out of this. If they had used the time to explain the actual actions and how they are executed rather than for the haggling inside the pentagon, the series would have been much more involving.

E-Ring, with Hopper, was one of the worst shows to hit the airwaves.

Author: MadMax4333 from United States
4 June 2010

Now that Dennis Hopper is dead, I've been wondering what quixotic and absurd thinking perpetuated his acclaim? He couldn't really act and looked dull on screen and no matter what role he played, he was always dopey-looking Dennis Hopper, never very convincing, in my opinion.

And, E-Ring, in particular, was one of his worst, embarrassingly bad efforts. Speed was just as bad. The list of his bombs is endless.

Many viewers inexplicably liked this silly show, which was nothing more than a Hollywood/USA propaganda concoction, with a premise that made absolutely no sense. I am not the first to have voiced that comment. Far too many factual details were completely wrong. Hopper was awful, his stodgy dialog ridiculous. Bratt, whose boyish good looks and brash attitude kept his career alive - longer than it should have - was not nearly so boyishly good-looking any longer, and he never could act either. His staggering lumbering macho efforts were laughable. The best thing that can be said about this show is that it is gone. We can be grateful NBC, in axing this thing, was not as stupid about programming as previously thought.

Not Crap At All

Author: Francisco Aliberti from Brazil
16 January 2009

By far the best example of American war-on-terror so far. Muslims = evil terrorists. US military intelligence saves the world from Muslims. Civilian bureaucracy and international opinion is threatening to the nation just as much as terrorists, maybe more. Europeans aren't bad. Israelis are good. Hamas is bad. Acting is emotional and silent, most of the time, which proves that the actors are good if they can transmit what they want without words. The dialogs are strong and decisive, most of the time making you want to go back to hear it again, and serves the purpose of explaining how evil the terrorists are and how heroic the Americans are.

There is a small attempt to introduce a romance but they focus more on the friendship relationship between the co-workers. The producers also have thrown in the mandatory "good Muslim", just to explain that there are, in fact, some Muslims that are not rotten to the bone, which is hard to believe. In essence the show is nothing more than very good US propaganda. I have no doubt that stupid ignorant narrow minded Swedish people won't understand the meaning of this show.

As long as shows like this keep pumping out, showing that the world is in fact black and white and that complex political problems can't be solved by bureaucratic politicians, there is still hope for this world. It's not only good. It's a must have.

What Happened to E-Ring

Author: ken-robinson-1 from Beverly Hills, CA
28 May 2008

This is a fair question and deserves a candid answer.

The show was caught up in many factors that push and pull a series in its first year.

First, was the schedule, we were positioned against LOST on our first night, with Martha Stewart as our LEAD IN (the show, prior to ours). We suspected that the Martha crowd would not be the same demographic that would consume E-Ring, and knew that putting a new show, directly opposite the biggest drama on television was going to make life a challenge. I asked about the wisdom of this, as it looked self-defeating from the start.

The collective wisdom of NBC exec's was "trust us, we know what we are doing." Well, when that didn't work, the network moved us on the schedule each week, sometimes without even telling the audience, sometimes telling the audience the wrong night. We asked again WTF, how about some advertising, like they do on CBS, where they clearly know how to launch a show? The collective wisdom of NBC exec's was "trust us, we know what we are doing." We had good numbers of total viewers, numbers NBC would kill for this year, but they were not the demographic advertisers want. Simply, older audiences are not valued by Hollywood, because they are not impressionable, they are not impacted by impulse ads; they already have a brand loyalty.

Younger people are more desired, because they don't yet have a brand loyalty, and impulse purchase. Television dramas are simply a vector designed to deliver "commercials." Sports, and ultimately the Olympics were the shows undoing. The network would not cross-promote the show, across their other outlets, the promotions department lost confidence in it, because younger people (18-29) did not tune in. We made the argument to hire younger actors, like the show that was originally pitched.

We explained that young people had changed their viewing habits with the invention of TIVO, I-pods, and more choice across the spectrum of cable.

The collective wisdom of NBC exec's was "trust us, we know what we are doing." So, once the network programming went DARK for the Olympics, our fate was sealed. You see, we were an expensive show, with a high license fee to NBC, and an expensive build for Warner Brothers -- so, as the network went dark, they immediately scrambled to find REALTY replacements for shows deemed vulnerable when programming started back up.

To hedge their bet, we continued to produce all episodes (each got better and better), for a total of 22. The is what I would refer to as the golden age of our production, because the network lost interest, and therefore stopped providing us their help, and wisdom, and we were able to make the show I pitched, and they bought, without their notes.

Audiences globally have responded to those episodes as being the best.

But when it came time to return to air, the ax fell, and DEAL OR NO DEAL (one host, 60 female breast on 30 blond women) destroyed what al Qaeda, and all the global threats could not. The show went dark, with a promise to burn the episodes off over the summer.

This never happened, which was a shame for all the wonderful actors on the show.

We asked NBC why not burn the work off, let it be seen. We were told the episodes were too good, and the execs were afraid of looking foolish for having canceled the show. We asked about DVD release, same answer.

So, the show was sold to a smart network - FX who distributed it overseas, globally, where it has been a success in every market.

For the domestic USA audience, my only advice is to ask Warner/NBC to release it on DVD (but I suspect there is also a tax reason they decided to spend millions on programming that was never to be viewed.

I made a final argument for a DVD sale when I found pirated copies of the show being sold on the global market. Clearly there was a demand, why not fill it, vice having the intellectual property stolen, without a fight? Silence.

So, we, the writers, producers, cast, and crew are thankful for the fans that continue to search for episodes, and continue to blog about the show. We really are speechless as to what the network was 'really" thinking.

I guess we should just "trust them, they clearly know what they are doing." KLR Beverly Hills, CA

E-Ring

Author: gjgreen from United States
10 December 2007

All I want to say is that this was one of the best shows that came out during that time period. Never missed an episode.

I am retired from the Army and absolutely loved the show. I am waiting for the Series to come out on DVD. The characters and actors were fantastic. This was one hell of a show, that should have NEVER been canceled. I keep waiting for another station to pick it up. Someone please read this and do something (tv stations).

This is one show that could go on and on for many seasons, if the powers to be (politicians) would stay out of this. Anyone notice when this was canceled? Does Afghanistan or Iraq ring a bell?

Geography

Author: Cat_2026 from Venezuela
10 September 2006

Most of Hollywood directors should really take a geography class, specially one about Colombia... When are they gonna get Bogota is a LARGE CITY with a COLD weather not a freaking small warm town as they keep showing it!!!! I think this is a really interesting series, but things like that make me not wanna see it anymore, because if the director or whoever is responsible for knowing the facts about the country they are making the scene in, doesn't care about how the Colombians lives, why should they care about his TV show??? This is so offensive and needs to be change... Bogota is a city that deserves to be seen as it really is, just beautiful.

This is one of the greatest shows I have ever seen

Author: fwgrhouse from United States
29 April 2006

This is one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. I'm a big fan of military- style movies and TV shows and e-ring is just the movie for anyone interested in military style shows. This show is pretty much the same as the west wing only it deals with the military, so instead of having the white house you have the pentagon, instead of government officials you have military officials, instead of the president you have the joint chiefs of staff, and instead of handling with laws, you handle with planning missions. I feel that it gives a good idea with how the military works because it takes you into the pentagon itself. I really hope that they come back with new episodes and not replace it with some stupid comet like my name is earl or the office.

Why Do They Stop Running the Good Shows!!!

Author: pamangel49-2 from California Transplant in Texas
21 March 2007

I loved this show!!! But it just disappeared???!!! Were the ratings that bad???? With all the ---- they have on now, there is nothing to look forward to. Bring it Back!!! The characters were believable and the cast they assembled was great. I just don't understand!!! Especially since they didn't even air all the episodes. Is there no way to get in touch with Warner Bros. Television make a point with them?? I feel like I need to just keep my television turned off these days. I guess the target age is below me and I am just crazy to think the networks care if we don't fit into that. I want to see more of Benjamin Bratt on television. I hope something else is planned.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]