Vowellet: An Essay by Sarah Vowell (V) More at IMDbPro »

A great surreal addition to "The Incredibles" DVD

Author: toobisbee from United States
10 July 2005

I never heard of Sarah Vowell before watching this little doc in the Behind the Scenes extras of The Incredibles. I almost never listened to public radio either. But after listening to Ms. Vowell's dry, sarcastic and self-deprecating wit in this short, I was absolutely charmed. Funny, intimate, educational - Listen as she pontificates eloquently about Abe Lincoln and introduces him to her Violet action figures - and WEIRD! Now I'm in the middle of reading her most recent book, "Assassination Vacation," and I've listened to an interview with her on National Public Radio. I've never heard anyone make the subject of death so funny.

You find yourself watching and you just can't stop!!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
12 February 2008

This is one of the weirdest DVD extras I have ever seen. Apparently Sarah Vowell is the voice of Violet from the Incredibles and in this short film, she appears to be given a camera crew and just talks and talks and talks--often about rather inane and odd things. Some of it is truly bizarre and some if very funny and insightful. You really aren't sure how much of this is the real Sarah and how much might be a put-on--sort of like performance art. I did some checking and found that indeed she did write the book about presidential assassinations and historical plaques--but she's also been writing for NPR for some time--so will the real Sarah Vowell please stand up?! Despite having a free-flowing stream of consciousness style, the film appears to be extremely well-constructed and enjoyable. While not for every taste, for those who like the quirky and unique, watch this film!!