X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) Poster

Wolverine claws his way back on to the big screen
DAVID SIM8 May 2009
X-Men Origins: Wolverine joins a whole host of films that's become a genre all its own in the last few years. An established film series taking a character back to its roots to reboot the series. Casino Royale, Batman Begins and the upcoming Star Trek are to name but a few examples.

If you were going to choose an X-Man to frame an origin story around, there is no one better than Wolverine. He's always been the most interesting character in X-Men. Perhaps because while all the others in the team use their mutant powers for the betterment of mankind, Logan's bad attitude makes him something of a wild card. One never to be entirely trusted.

I thought the idea of Wolverine getting his own movie was immensely exciting. Especially when Hugh Jackman agreed to reprise the role. And I'm pleased to say it was worth the wait. Quite a few have been quick to poke holes in the film's script, but I didn't feel disappointed with it at all. I felt it did Wolverine justice. Its a worthy addition to the series.

To side with a few nitpickers, 20th Century Fox and director Gavin Hood have taken a few liberties. Not just with the backstory, but also by breaking continuity with the other films in the series. For one, Logan's metal skeleton has always been the result of an experiment done to him against his will. But in Wolverine, here he willingly goes through with it, to get revenge on Sabretooth for killing his lover.

Also we get to meet a young Cyclops who runs into Logan. But no mention is made of that in the first film. They act like they've never met. Still, in spite of rewriting some of what we already know, Wolverine does a quite excellent job of bringing a lot of Logan's past into focus. All through a combination of Gavin Hood's involving, kinetic direction, David Benioff and Skip Woods' screenplay, and another excellent performance from the great Hugh Jackman.

The opening credit sequence stayed with me more than anything else in the film. We watch as Logan and Sabretooth (half-brothers in this version) grow up and go to war. The Civil War. Both World Wars. Vietnam. And then finally they go to war on each other. They're both recruited by William Stryker (who you may remember from X2) to work in a special covert operations team. But while Logan and Sabretooth may seem similar, they are quite different.

They may be part animal, but Sabretooth likes it a lot more than Logan does. Nor does Logan share Sabretooth's love of killing. So when he strikes out on his own, how much are you willing to bet that it isn't long before Logan's past comes back to haunt him?

It didn't take me long at all to become enthralled in Wolverine's life history. Some people have criticised the idea of Logan and Sabretooth becoming brothers, but I felt it added an additional level of gravitas. It made Sabretooth's betrayal that much more potent. And I quite liked the way David Benioff and Skip Woods attempt to humanise Wolverine.

Some of the best scenes in the film have nothing to do with large scale action sequences or revved up pyrotechnics. Some of the most touching and most moving moments is watching Wolverine trying to fit into a normal life. Away from wars and mortal enemies. And ultimately failing. His relationship with Kayla (nicely played by Lynn Collins), a seemingly ordinary human woman is quite affecting. Watching her take on the near impossible task of taming Logan's primal side is involving. Both Jackman and Collins shine in these scenes. Or the scene when Logan befriends an elderly couple. Who pay a terrible price for taking him in.

But Hood doesn't disappoint on the action front either. Wolverine has some breathtaking action scenes. Logan being chased by helicopter while on a bike is a real adrenaline pumper. And as it moves towards its climax, in a thrilling fight on top of a cooling tower, the film becomes something that makes you want to cry out for joy. This film really needs to be seen on a cinema screen. The photography of the Canadian Rockies provides a dazzling backdrop for the final fight. One suspects the film will lose a lot in the transfer when it goes to DVD.

The acting is all superb. Hugh Jackman is expectedly excellent. He dives into Logan's animal nature with pure, undiluted relish. But more importantly, he always knows the need to dial it down too, giving us that even more crucial chance to see inside the soul of Wolverine. I was a little wary to begin with when I learned Liev Schrieber would play Sabretooth. I just couldn't envision him in the role but he's a revelation. He brings a real meanness to the part. Something Tyler Mane never had in X-Men. You can see in his performance why it is that Logan hates him so much. The two have marvellous sparkage whenever they're paired together.

There are times when the film lapses perhaps too much into the realm of the comic book (I'm thinking of The Blob as I write this), but for the most part, Gavin Hood treats the material with the utmost respect. It ends on a shocking downer that also manages to tie in neatly with the first X-Men film. The script has many surprises that leaves you as jolted and embittered as poor Logan. A highly enjoyable film that exceeds all expectations, and the best X-Men adventure since X2.
44 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wolverine isn't Bad, but it's not as good as it could've been
musica13 May 2009
I'll state my credentials up front: I'm a chick. I have read X-Men comics in my past, but it's been years. I don't remember every detail of every relationship and back story, so I'm not a huge X-men expert. I LOVED the original X-Men movie and X2.

I was so excited when I heard they were making a Wolverine movie. He and Gambit were my two favorite characters from the comics, and Wolverine was by far the best written and one of the best acted characters in the X-Men franchise. I thought, "This should be good!" I counted down the days until it came out. And I went to the theatre, and came out not disappointed, but not excited either. It was a middle-of-the-road movie, which seemed to not know what it wanted to be. But I would say go see it if you're an X-Men or Hugh Jackman fan.

The main crime committed in Wolverine is in the writing. I always say writers don't get enough credit on a good movie. But no amount of good acting (pretty much everyone in Wolverine does well with what they're given) and okay directing can cover up crappy writing like this. The script was all over the place. It didn't have any of the jaunty yet edgy feel of the first two X-Men movies. Wolverine's wisecracks and smart wit were all but forgotten. That would've maybe been okay if they had chosen to make Wolverine the dark, nearly evil character that he was supposed to have been before he lost his memory. But they didn't. He was neither good nor evil. This was ambivalent Wolverine. Kind of Emo Wolverine. Not above doing bad, but not really into it because it made him Feel Bad. No really interesting lines or plot points either way. The writers didn't seem to even know how to develop the relationship between Wolverine and Sabertooth. And was the love story put in by the studio just to satisfy us chicks who wouldn't go a see a comic-book movie without it? If so, the studio did us a great disservice, because if you wanted to make a story about Wolverine the lover (which, hey, I would go see), this movie wasn't that either.

And when I saw in the trailer that Gambit was in the movie, too, I was thrilled! Gambit in a movie, at last! But here he is, the underdeveloped and kind of confusing Gambit. Couldn't he at least have had his New Orleans accent? The cards were cool, but he was mostly underutilized and didn't feel like Gambit that much.

The movie does have some good moments in it where you actually say, "Yes!" I'm not putting spoilers, so I won't tell you what they are, but for me, they made the movie worth seeing. While I wouldn't put it anywhere on my worst-movie list, I wouldn't rank it with X-Men and X2 on my favorites list, either.
254 out of 363 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spectacular superhero fun.
BA_Harrison9 October 2011
I'm no expert on Marvel Comics characters and have only seen two of the X-Men movies so far, but I'm pretty confident in saying that if you enjoy super-hero films in general, then X-Men Origins: Wolverine will provide 107 minutes of solid entertainment.

Hugh Jackman as Logan/Wolverine makes for a very charismatic hero, and the character's back-story is more than worthy of its own movie—a compelling tale of sibling rivalry, betrayal, revenge and self-discovery. The film also boasts some great secondary characters in the form of his fellow mutants who display an impressive array of incredible supernatural talents, allowing for some really impressive action set-pieces.

If I was going to be picky, some of the digital effects are not quite up to the standard that I have come to expect from such fare—Wolverine's claws in particular looking pretty dodgy from time to time—and the final battle is perhaps taking things a step too far, even for a comic-book based movie, but I won't let that stop me from rounding up my rating of 7.5 to an 8.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - a good addition to series
tr9127 July 2013
I am a big fan of the original trilogy of X-Men films. Wolverine is my favourite character so I was really looking forward to watching this.

I think the idea to learn more about his early life was a good idea. There was plenty of good over the top action and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is superb as usual but the story just wasn't as interesting as it could have been. It was just the kind of film where after 20 minutes it became very predictable.

Overall I would still recommend this film, whether you have seen the original trilogy or not it should be quite easy to follow. It was decent viewing, a good addition to the series but not as good as the others.

5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
so... what was the problem?
Sergio_Ivan_19853 June 2009
With all the bad reviews as luggage, I came into this movie expecting the worst... but, after i saw it, i found myself both entertained and at the same time wondering what was the big problem every critic and fan boy seemed to have with this movie. I think i got it: they all got up in a bad mood in the morning, and, not wanting to be the odd guy out, set out to criticize every flaw this movie has. Which has plenty. But, again, what's the problem? it has the same flaws the previous three movies had: underdeveloped characters, uneven rhythm and a ludicrous plot that tries to handle a hell lot more than it can in just about an hour and a half of running time. But somehow, the first two movies get a pass from critics and fans alike, while "the last stand" and this one get ripped to pieces.

I mean, this movie has it's share of flaws, but has plenty to like too: Hugh Jackman plays this character he knows so well to perfection, as Liev Schreiber does with Sabretooth, the action scenes are nicely done, and quite exciting, an quite a lot. The rhythm picks up exactly when it needs too whenever it falls behind, etc.

People are even complaining about the quality of the effects which leads me to believe most of them saw nothing but the unfinished leaked version and, if they did attended the screening of the actual finished film, they didn't pay attention to it and instead, spend their time thinking ingenious ways how to use the title to mock the movie.

So, in a way, this is the ideal kind of movie: if you're looking for a fun unpretentious and well done, if not perfect, summer movie, this is it. But, if you're looking for a movie to complain about how Fox is the devil, this is it too. Choke on it.
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
X Men makes spectacular viewing
trevixarama7 November 2009
I finally watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine today not too sure what to expect hoping for at least traces of the quality of the previous X Men movies which i love. Let me tell you that i was blown away by this incredible movie and dare i say was the best out of the series. It is action packed and the story line is superb, I was glued to the TV without wanting even to look away for a moment scared id miss something. I found X-Men Origins: Wolverine far more entertaining than Watchmen and several so called blockbusters.Whether you're are an x-Men fan or not do yourself a favor and watch this, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised...
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much better than the reviews, actions packed FUN
goods1164 May 2009
Forget the reviews that focus on dialogue (it's a comic book character, of course it's clichéd) or other types of thing you may look for in movies like a Room With A View. In this movie you want to see cool action, cool use of superpowers, great fights with CGI that is not obvious and some tension about what happens next. This movie has it all. Academy awards? No. Amazing plot? No, but enough to keep it very interesting, with answers like where Adamantium comes from, Sabretooth and Wolverine relationship, introduction of Deadpool, early view of Cyclops, and much more that keeps the movie going along just fine. This is a solid action film, better than most.
178 out of 298 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much better than most say.
Neveah Van Grieken1 May 2009
There seems to be a lot of negative, critical comments on the boards and in the comments here on IMDb, but I beg to disagree.

Though this movie wasn't perfect, and surely could have been better, I found that it was a great watch, and worth the 12.50 I paid for my ticket.

Hugh Jackmans performance of Wolverine was as always, outstanding. As a huge comic-fan/reader, I feel he never fails at portraying one of my favorite characters. Leiv Schreiber as Sabretooth was much better then I'd ever expected. I had my doubts about him playing Sabretooth, and I didn't like how human he looked(as opposed to the Sabretooth appearance in X1). But his excellent portrayal of the character definitely countered the looks for me. I wouldn't change anything about Leiv's performance.

As for Deadpool/Wade, I understand some peoples dislike for how he was different from the comics. But even with these changes, Deadpool was still an amazing character, well-done by Ryan Reynolds. The secret ending with him(Shhh!) makes me very excited, because if Reynolds plays Deadpool in a spin-off of the movie, I'll be very eager to watch.

Finally, Gambit. Gambit has always been my favorite x-men, so I had extremely high expectations of the character. This being said, I found Kitsch did very well with Gambit, the only problems I had with the character were his accent, and his lack of screen time. Though his accent wasn't horrible, it definitely wasn't cajun.

I'll admit, the storyline jumps around, and there are some minor plot holes. But a major thing to have in mind when watching this movie, is to just think of it as a MOVIE. Some changes were made from the comics, and some characters may not be what you expected. But if you go into this movie strictly looking at it as entertainment and a good summer movie, you will not be disappointed.

Even myself as a major x-men fan, I was not disappointed. Overall, this movie lived up to my expectations, and in my opinion, it doesn't deserve the negative comments being made about it.

I definitely recommend it to everyone.
27 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My expectations were too high
espunier17 April 2009
All of the X-Men movies were great. And I mean all of them, including the long hated X-Men 3. They had solid characters (Magneto and Xavier were the best ones, in my opinion), and a good story arch.

I was all excited when I heard this movie was on production, and my expectations grew bigger and bigger until I saw the movie. I was so disappointed.

Hugh Jackman is not a bad actor (his best movie is The Fountain, although you won't hear about this movie when they talk about the actor), and his acting is not what screws the movie up.

The whole film is plagued with lots of meaningless characters that add nothing to the plot (like Blob or Gambit), which were tossed there to make fans believe that the film makers had read the original comics.

I am a fan of XMen, I have read many, many of their stories and this movie respected none of them. None. Not even the continuity. It doesn't respect Weapon X project, or the relationship between Wolverine and Sabretooth, or Emma Frost, the motivations for wolverine are plain stupid and seen in millions of movies: Revenge for the death of a loved one.

Oh. What I was expecting the whole darn movie was a Berseker moment for Wolverine similar to the one he has in X2 in the school when Stryker men come in and he alone decimates the enemy forces, but hey, this is Fox, this a family flick and you will not see explicit violence from the most violent and gruesome Marvel hero.

Besides, I had a feeling of constant dejá vù with this movie because Wolverine's Origins are already explained in X2, we already know how he got his adamantium skeleton so it kind of does not make sense to make a movie of something we already know.

I personally believe that wolverine is one of those few characters that does not need a solid back-story because mystery is the nature of the character. Do we really want to know how the Joker got his scars?
186 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lots of action, drama, humor and... Wolverine
Tom van der Esch11 May 2009
X-men Origins: Wolverine is an enjoyable film. There's a bit of everything in this movie. Let me start with the characters.

Most of the movie is about Wolverine and Sabretooth. Makes sense, if you look at the title. How they grew up together, what kind of life they lived and how, in the end, they became two men who couldn't go through the same door ever again. Rivals till the end of time.

There isn't much room for the other characters in this movie, compared to Wolverine. I was a bit disappointed that both Gambit and Deadpool didn't get as much screen time as I had hoped. The same can be said for the other well-known x-men characters like the Blob or Emma Frost. They both have a minor role in this movie. Maybe that was done on purpose, since this IS a movie about Wolverine, but a little more screen time would have been nice of course.

The villain in this movie is none other then general William Stryker. If you are a X-men fan, you know him very well. Danny Huston plays a VERY good Stryker. You are really going to hate this character, if you haven't already by reading the comics, playing the games or watching the previous movies.

Action. TONS of it! A lot of cool stunts and daring moves. Motorcycles, cars, helicopters, explosions, gunfire and even a tank. This movie has spread the action nicely, since there aren't very long pauses between the action scenes. So if you are a fan of action, you will love this movie.

There's also a nice amount of humor in here. Hugh Jackman plays a great Wolverine once again and it paves the way for a few obvious and less obvious jokes. Gambit and the Blob add some humor as well. This movie is not as humorous as the previous 3 x-men movies, but it wasn't meant to be. This is the story about Wolverine's past, which is very dark and dramatic. So I'm glad they didn't add too much humor. It would have killed the atmosphere of the movie.

I found the acting quite good, with the exception of Gambit maybe. But that's because I cling myself too much to the cartoon version of Gambit. I don't think anyone is ever gonna top that Gambit. He was okay in this film, but it could have been much better. No complaints about the lead characters though. I already mentioned William Stryker and Wolverine, but Liev Schreiber (Sabretooth) plays his character very well. You can almost feel the anger and somewhat sadistic aura whenever he shows himself on the screen. A job well done, Liev.

In conclusion, I found this movie entertaining. It could have been better at some points, but it's not horribly mutilated as I first thought it would be.

One last warning for fan girls of Hugh Jackman... There's like 5 minutes in the movie where he is completely naked...
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun and full circle
LSGPhoenix3 May 2009
Aside from all the nay-sayers, I truly enjoyed this film. It was as good as anyone could possibly do with a comic book character that has spanned volumes of books just to tell his story. Great job bringing the story to the real world, as well. Explaining the wars, the differences between Wolverine and Sabertooth, and doing it in a time line that the audience can accept and relate to.

The inclusion of Gambit and the small pieces of his story were also a plus. As well as leading directly into the beginning of the X-Men with the "calling" of Scott Summers.

All around I enjoyed this film. I felt it to be plenty entertaining, and had a good story all at the same time. Spend the money, sit back, and let yourself be entertained.
33 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Wolverine" 's journey is more about the visuals than the character
Movie_Muse_Reviews2 May 2009
The superhero genre reached a higher echelon in 2008 with "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight," and considering the success of 2/3 of the X-Men franchise so far, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" can certainly be held to those standards, especially a movie whose title alone suggests getting right down to its hero's adamantium core.

But "Wolverine" plays more like a spin-off, defining "origins" as the back story and not the psychological workings of the character. It's weak on themes, but loaded on more new mutants with new powers, explosions and plenty of subplots. Basically, it fails where "X-Men 3" did, trying to do too much at once, rushing the plot along and sacrificing the deeper reason audiences are drawn to Hugh Jackman's character other than he's cool and has a crude, sarcastic sense of humor. However, it succeeds much of the same way X3 did and beyond: more explosive action and creative use of an immense visual effects budget. Although director Gavin Hood doesn't bring more insight into the film with his work, he certainly has as good of an eye for the stylish as anyone.

The first sign that you know this movie isn't going to be top tier for superhero flicks is the number of mutants/villains. For a story about one, singular X-man, there are way too many other characters to follow: Col. Stryker is their ringleader, but Sabretooth (Schriber), Wade Wilson/Deadpool (Reynolds), Bolt (Monaghan), Gambit (Kitsch), Wraith (will.i.am), Agent Zero, the Blob and young Cyclops (not to mention a slough of extras) make the film dizzying. Especially at the beginning, we need to see more Wolverine -- it's his movie.

To the film's credit, its quick movement makes it easy to watch and entertaining and there's some surprisingly good comedic timing on Jackman's part for an action movie. Seriously though, it must have been a blast (no pun intended) on the set during action sequences because they actually destroyed everything they possibly could: CGI, real and both. This film is the beginning of what will surely be mind-blowing visual effects at the movies this summer. Hood gives new visual strength to the franchise and provides a much more epic feel to this film -- it's clearly about this grand journey for Wolverine, even if it's more spectacle than introspective.

Surprisingly, the ending was the most satisfying part of the film. All the subplots converge, it makes sense and the loose ends that fans of the first three films will notice get tied up fittingly at the end. For the whole first hour of the film you're juggling Wolverine and Sabretooth's rivalry, Stryker's team of guys with powers, Wolverine's romance with Kayla out in the wilderness, what's happening to the team of guys with powers ... why the heck kid Cyclops is in the movie ... it's not overwhelming, it's just not as enjoyable when you can't focus on one thing or character as much as you'd like. Still, the ending justifies the strange means, at least in terms of the epic battle that ensues.

"Wolverine" is not a travesty for the genre, but it certainly doesn't meet the expectations for a thorough superhero movie experience. You get amped up action and style over meaning and that makes it entertainment more than catharsis. Expect to be entertained and little else and "Wolverine" will satisfy your itch for the summer movie season.

~Steven C

Thanks for reading! Visit my site at http://moviemusereviews.com/
162 out of 280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome - why are people complaining?!
gabriel-806 May 2009
I have no idea as to why people bash Wolverine. I think its an extremely well made, highly entertaining movie with great acting and a fitting storyline. Its also pretty dark and uncompromising in many scenes.

The fight scenes are brutal and intense which makes them really awesome.

I was actually surprised by some of the plot twists. Great.

The opening title sequence should win some kind of award. Gave me goose bumps. The editing is perfect.

Only complaint is the few plot holes towards the X-men trilogy.
98 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"I'm the best there is at what I do" could hardly be further from the truth
pyrocitor1 May 2009
Like fellow 2009 superhero release Watchmen, Wolverine is that rare comic book film which almost appears inevitably more likely to please audiences that are not fans of the source material. However, unlike Watchmen, which adhered so closely to its source material that a falling short by comparison proved inescapable, Wolverine's inevitable backlash of fan outrage stems from its flagrant disregard for its source material. The film casually mutilates and re-writes the comic book context of its source material with the cold disdain of its protagonist, hacking one of the most genuinely compelling, subversive and horrifying superhero back-stories into the worst kind of safe, familiar, PG rated commercial dross. All of Wolverine's compelling comic book edginess is distilled into a flaccid script which forgoes exhilaration for only occasionally impressive fight/chase/explosion scenes, complexity for eye-rolling cheese and broad humour, and story cohesion for an attempt to cram in far too much subject matter and avoid the true dramatic meat of the story.

While further focus on the Wolverine/Sabertooth dichotomy could have yielded a narrative volumes stronger, the film continually broadens its scope, seemingly attempting to bank on the in-jokey winks to fans of the comics by hinting at broadening the Marvel universe in further sequels demonstrated in 2008's Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. But while their fan nods were tasteful and enjoyable, Wolverine's attempts at matching them appear to be building up to an almost sinister bid for Fox's superhero franchises to compete. Recognizable X-Men characters are continually shoehorned into minuscule parts (fans of Deadpool, Blob, Gambit or, *groan*, Cyclops don't go in expecting much but disappointment) for seemingly the sole purpose of leapfrogging off Wolverine's story into their own spin-offs. However, such an overflowing mass of secondary characters only serves the dual purpose of both derailing Wolverine's story and not even serving to satisfy comic fans clamouring to see their favourite characters on screen, as the fleeting, shallow depictions hardly prove satisfying character development by any stretch of the imagination. If the filmmakers choose to tackle established characters to appease fan expectations, doing nothing with the characters (let alone doing them far from 'properly') hardly seems a suitable way to satisfy a demanding audience.

Director Gavin Hood (known for excellent African drama Tsotsi of all things) has been vocal about his clashes with the studio over the film, and one can only assume, given his excellent credentials, that most of his proposed changes would have been for the better. As it is, Hood demonstrates a shaky directorial presence at best, masking his action scenes in whirling cameras making it near impossible to see, and complimenting most tense or dramatic scenes with a cascade of Harry Gregson-Williams' tiresomely banal and clichéd musical score. That is not to say the film is entirely devoid of quality, but it is reduced to occasional fleeting moments (sporatic bursts of creativity during fight scenes, a promising African raid plot point, and an undeniably gripping if under-explored sequence of Wolverine going through the Weapon X program). But, like the irritatingly freeze-frame beset but otherwise clever opening montage (showcasing Wolverine's progression through numerous world wars) such quality is often overshadowed by cringe-worthy prevailing flaws making it all the more difficult to appreciate.

Ironically for the film situating him most justifiably in the lead role, Hugh Jackman gives his weakest performance in his foundational role as Wolverine. While Jackman's natural charisma and steely credibility still make him a far more sturdy enough lead than his film deserved, his under-exploring of Wolverine's feral ferocity and darkness still leaves an ultimately unsatisfying taste in the mouth. Despite initial skepticism of miscasting, Liev Schreiber proves far more resonant as Wolverine's animalistic adversary Sabretooth, providing a savagely threatening yet controlled performance, which, despite falling short of the true animalistic frenzy Sabretooth should have been, proves one of the more successful attributes of the film. Similarly, Danny Huston provides a welcome dash of class as Machiavellian military official William Stryker, managing to overcome the shortcomings of an underwritten character with an impressively realized, wonderful presence. Ryan Reynolds also proves perfectly cast as twisted mercenary Deadpool, thankfully managing to suppress star showiness in favour of suitably manic humour - nonetheless, Reynolds is criminally wasted in a far too brief and insultingly warped butchering of his comics incarnation. Taylor Kitsch, conversely, gives a bland, dopily flat take on fan favourite Gambit, the character's legendary suave charisma as nonexistent as Kitsch's Cajun accent, doing little to justify his character's near pointless addition.

While it may function suitably as mindless summer entertainment, the inherent complexity in Wolverine's backstory makes its reduction to such a near outright insult to fans of the comic source material. If left as a standalone film, Wolverine might have been dismissible as a mostly harmless disappointment, but with such blatant spin off begging, it evolves into something far more objectionable. While the film has its moments, as a cohesive unit it can be considered nothing less than a tragic waste of potential, floundering any inherent quality in gaping plot holes and unnecessary obvious comedy or "tearjerking" scenes. Wolverine's adage of him being "the best I am at what I do" could hardly be farther than the truth when applied to his film.

370 out of 670 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I liked the pace of this movie - Jackman rocks as always
aatifshah18 May 2009
In my view this was one of the Best X-Men Movies if not the best. The starts with a Bang ... one of the best starts with great background music to complement the starting sequence. Overall all the character in this movie are well composed. I like the way Victor was put together in this movie. he really put up a strong show. Rest all other X-Men did well but were overshadowed by Wolverine and Victor but that what the movie was all about ... the origion of wolverine. I m a Big fan of Jackman. He really deliver his best. Movies like X-Men and Ven Helsing are type of movies that show his true character. A must watch film. forget about people who say this movie is a flop. Just go and watch it. You won't be disappointed. I can bet.
30 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fox makes another "Not Bad" movie
xander78784 May 2009
I saw this movie over the weekend. When it was over, I kind of sighed, shrugged and said it was okay.

I gave the movie a 5 which I think is pretty darn generous. Here's the positives of the movie. The actors are very good. Hugh Jackman, Liev, Ryan Reynolds are all very good actors, and each of them play their roles well. There was action, action, explosions, and more explosions. There certainly wasn't any shortage of eye candy. I think most Wolverine fans would probably like this movie.

Here's the negatives. We all learned the hard way when X-Men 3 came out, that Fox could seem to care less about the source material. They just want to make action moves with lots of special effects. Wolverine is a testament to that same disappointing philosophy. While Wolverine fans may like the movie, "Marvel" fans will probably feel a little ill.

I'm surprised that they haven't figured out yet why Marvel's movies are blockbusters (Iron Man, The Hulk), and thiers are always sub-par. Marvel uses good stories, acting, and smart witty scripts to keep us interested. Every half baked, killed off for the movie, or completely ruined character Fox throws in there just ruins the experience for a fan somewhere. Marvel may modernize the stories, but they respect the source material. Not only does that make comic fans happy, but the stories tend to make more sense, and have more relatable characters.

On a side note, the fact that Fox apparently has the rights to Deadpool makes me want to cry. Give it back to Marvel so we can get a decent movie, without blades coming out of his arms and lasers out his eyes.
122 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than expected
idahovandalfan2 May 2009
Wolverine is a decent movie. It is worth the price of admission and the 2 hours of screen time. The movie works well as a prequel of the events of the X-Men movies. However, to enjoy the movie, one must suspend knowledge of the comic book material. The movie was made for the average movie-goer and a little for the ultra hardcore X-Men comic book reader. The story has everything anyone could want: family, a little romance, love, comedy, revenge and plenty of action.

I was pleased with most of the acting. I will admit that some dialogue seems forced from the minor cast, but the main characters - Wolverine, Sabretooth, etc. - all work well together. The story did seem a little rushed and choppy at times, however. The 1:45 time goes by quickly enough to feel like maybe the movie could have - and should have - been closer to 2:00.

The movie is as good as the first X-Men movie, and better than X-Men United and X-Men: The Last Stand. I am actually looking forward to seeing how they handle the Magneto origins movie that's being made. And I am really hoping that all of this work brings it together for a possible X-Men 4. I know you agree with me because after all, I know everyone is dying to see Apocalypse as the bad guy.

My only real complaint of the movie is that Gambit (my favorite X-Men character) did not have as much screen time as I'd hoped. He better either get his own movie, or make an appearance in a later Marvel movie.

Ignore the syndicated critics and the negativity surrounding this movie. I'm glad I did. Go see it. Don't let people scare you away from spending your money on this movie. Form your own opinions. Oh, and if you go, stay after the credits.
164 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One reviewer's point of view
A_Different_Drummer2 October 2015
A true story.

The year is 2015 and one of the local movie channels recently ran this film.

So I watched, thinking this must be one of the series films that I missed...? And I watched and I watched and I watched.

And by the very last scene, when Wolverine walks off into the sunset (literally) I realized that I had in fact seen this when it first came out and EXACTLY like Jackman's character in this wretched film, I had suppressed the memory because the experience was so traumatic.

How bad is this film? Well if you are teaching a film class you could use it as a clinic for how NOT to write a script.

With the sole exception of an "action" scene about 45 mins in -- where the Wolverine gets serious about mayhem and the viewer is caught up in the contagion of the moment -- this is a film that starts weak and just gets weaker.

There is no character to identify with. There is no one you would want to have a drink with when the film is over. There is no audience connection. There are no triumphs, only progressive losses.

I am going to end the review here and try to forget the film ... again. If you have not seen it, as your faithful scribe, I suggest you watch X-Men I instead. It is not merely better. It is 100X better.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Far better than I expected
Joejoesan28 April 2009
To tell you the truth I'm pretty surprised by all the negative reviews I've been reading on the IMDb and elsewhere on the net (AICN for example). I thought X-Men 1 and 2 came close to being masterpieces and that X-Men 3 sucked big time. The Wolverine movie however is well made, exciting and surprisingly effective. But that's an opinion from somebody who doesn't know anything about the comics. To me Wolverine is mainly a movie hero and maybe that can make a big difference.

Two elements make this movie really work. Liev Schreiber - a very underestimated actor - does a great job as Wolverine's brother Victor/Sabretooth. It's their love/hate relationship that is the main subject in this story and that really keeps it interesting. In the first minutes of the movie this is well established. The opening credits are really beautiful.

Second: the story. I really love the story. It has romance, betrayal, vengeance, action, a touch of immortality... All the good elements are there in the right doses.

Yes, I really love this movie. I hope to see more of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in the future, because there are a lot more adventures he can and should have. Maybe director Gavin Hood can repair some of the damage that Brett Ratner did with a X-Men 3. Because an X-Men 4 - with hopefully Josh Halloway as Gambit - would be a great spectacle indeed.

There's only one big thing that really puzzled me. So the Liev Schreiber character is actually the same Sabretooth we see in X-Men 1? Because the two characters really don't seem the same in the two movies. Everything they have "experienced together in the past" (in the prequel) seems forgotten in X-Men 1 (when they only fight each other).

Anyway, go see this!

8,5 / 10
256 out of 489 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Epic Fail: the Movie
TheEtherWalk2 May 2009
Where to begin with this one. Problems are numerous, including spotty acting, effects, and cinematography. I'm going to focus on the script for this review as it really looks like the writers wrote up a bunch of plot points, characters and trailer-ready fight sequences, and then tried to write a movie around them. The result is nothing short of disastrous.

For a movie that is supposed to give the origins of Wolverine, they did a good job of telling us exactly nothing about WHO Wolverine is. It's like they assume we know everything about the characters already, so there's no need to develop anyone's character. A movie should stand on its own. Origins: Wolverine is a one-legged dog.

Liev Schreiber and Hugh Jackman both do well in their roles, but the first 10 minutes of the movie are rushed and underdeveloped. It's too fast-paced, and the result is painfully uninvolving. They spend about 3 minutes as kids, in which we find out practically nothing about them. Then it literally cuts from them being kids running through the woods to them shooting people in the Civil War. The opening credits montage takes us through 150 years in about 3 minutes, and suggests that Logan is tired of being in wars and Victor loves it. This is all the information we get about who they are. By the time they're recruited by Stryker, they have interacted with each other approximately twice. Why do they join every single American war? Do they just like getting shot a lot? Why is Victor so bloodthirsty and Logan good? How did Logan and Kayla meet? How did Logan find out he was invincible? Does he feel anything about the fact that he killed his father? The filmmakers didn't care. This movie has all the depth of a piece of cardboard.

Victor's motivations are beyond murky throughout the whole film. He basically goes around killing characters for no real reason at all. Logan's relationship with his girlfriend starts out very poorly developed and actually becomes LESS believable by the end of the movie. In the one scene that is supposed to develop Logan and Kayla's relationship, she starts talking about some weird symbolic moon myths... its unintentionally hilarious. Oh, and it turns out she's a mutant and is hypnotizing Logan in order to watch him for Stryker, and fakes her death in order to make Logan to want revenge on Victor to force him into the Weapon X program so they could test the adamantium on him for the Deadpool project and then erase his memory in order to rescue her sister from Stryker. Seriously. But she really loves him! Uh-huh. They conveniently leave out how Logan and Kayla met, which at first seems like just lousy character development, but then you realizethat they skipped over this so that they wouldn't have to explain the exact circumstances of their meeting with her secretly spying on him. I suppose it was just too darn hard to for these guys to write. Lynn Collins is completely wooden, and I didn't care one iota for her character.

The lack of any believable characters leaves the movie plot-driven. But there's so many holes in the story that it's not even worth trying to find them all. This movie is basically a series of scenes, with very little connecting each one except Hugh Jackman's best efforts. Wolverine gets his jacket. Check. Wolverine gets his dog-tags. Check. Wolverines bone spikes somehow become giant knives when he gets his adamantium. The plot is not only convoluted and full of holes, but it completely negates itself in the last 10 minutes. Since Kayla ends up being alive, any tension created by the revenge scenario is totally wasted, and suddenly Victor is a good guy!? Everything was apparently done to create the super-mutant Deadpool (who doesn't have one single element of the comics Deadpool, except the name) who lasts about 10 minutes before dying by Logan's claws. That's the plot. Even though I know hardly anything about the comics, this is awful storytelling.

All of Stryker's team are pointless, Dominic Monaghan is totally wasted, Ryan Reynolds disappears after the first 10 minutes and never returns, and the team's individual powers are never explained at all. Kevin Durand can put his fist in a tank's main gun and stop a shell, and then he becomes grotesquely fat. Will I Am (what kind of name is this?), whose character is apparently named Wraith, is basically a rip-off of Nightcrawler. Gambit is just in this for the fanboys and doesn't even have the right accent. There's a guy who can do gun-kata. Wow, I didn't know shooting people like the guy in Equilibrium was a mutant ability! Cyclops shows up for very little reason but to give Deadpool cool eye beams. All of these characters are mere plot points, moving Logan from place to place and then dying or disappearing. It would be predictable if it weren't so unbelievably bad.

And the fights? Most are pretty short, inconsequential and bloodless. That's right, the savage Wolverine hardly doles out any real violence, only to his brother and to Deadpool, and since both have regeneration, and we know Victor and Logan will live, even the stabs have no stab. The cinematography and editing are pretty lousy. Remember the fight between Logan and Sabretooth from the first movie, on top of the Statue of Liberty? Or the White House attack with Nightcrawler from the second? There's no great techniques like those here, most of it is flat green-screening or total CGI shots. Some of the sets looks pretty cheap. Even the teleportation effects got worse in this one. The CGI is passable but not very realistic. All in all decidedly average visuals.

What's left at the end of all this is a movie with hardly any drive, substance or value. I'm disappointed that this was the best they could do with such great potential.
41 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Underdeveloped and Overproduced
Krazyzark3 May 2009
This film was slated to be a blockbuster film, and it really is. This is the type of movie that is made to eat popcorn to and watch the flashy graphics. With that in mind, the movie delivers, perhaps not as well as the ultra flashy Iron Man, but well enough. Outside of the popcorn munching action and special effects, the film drops off of the cliff faster than Wile E. Coyote.

Many viewers, myself included, will complain about how most of the characters were severely altered, but that only makes the film a poor adaptation, not a poor film. This film is unsatisfactory for other reasons. The makers focused more on making it appealing to the eye than they did to the mind. The characters that have been long awaited and promoted are reduced to 4-scene cameos. The main characters of Wolverine, Victor Creed (never called Sabertooth in the film) and Colonel Stryker are well developed. I was pleasantly surprised by Liev Schriber's performance. The rest of the characters are tossed to the wayside to make way for the all important eye-candy. Wolverine's character is fully developed after 30-minutes, as is Sabertooth, though Victor does pull off some surprises late in the film.

The "final boss" of the film is a twisted and perverse adaptation of the original character and barely gets any development to show just why he is the way he is. The filmmakers obviously felt that all they really needed to do was create a bad ass character who could do anything they wanted and slapped on the name of a popular character.

Very disappointing...
313 out of 609 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
plot driven exercise in stupidity
Hollis Waite17 April 2009
Soulless milking of cash cow franchise. Generic superhero flick. CGI showcase. Gavin Hood's "A Series of Improbable Events." Combinatoric iteration of mutant fight scenes strung together by inane exposition justifying formation/dissolution of arbitrary alliances. I'm not expecting Shakespeare here but the cliché per minute meter was off the charts: Primal scream while looking skyward and kneeling over murdered girlfriend. Renegade military commander. Predictable double crosses. Revenge sought for slain lover. Erased memories. Evil character discovering morality at last minute. Misguided failures to execute nemeses after defeating them in melee. Lover not really dead. Lover actually acting as spy for hero's arch-nemesis. Girlfriend/spy actually falls for protagonist. Good people work for antagonist in order to save kidnapped family members. Evil mastermind fails to honor promises to reluctant employees. Kindly old couple care for weary hero and get murdered for their troubles. Certain deaths averted as third parties arrive on scene before coup de grace. Hero reluctantly joining secret government agency. Abandonment of elite squad in protest over slaughter of innocents. Scientists unable to control indestructible killing machine of their own creation. Outdated but lovable government 'secret weapon' kills off better designed but heartless successor. Hero strolls away from wreck and casually lights a trail of gasoline behind him. After everyone has given up, flatlined heart monitor picks up a pulse. Evil mastermind explains plans to hero he no longer sees as a threat. Hero refuses to kill defeated foe because he's "better than that". Transparent comic relief character makes hilarious understatements and offbeat comments. Cheerful psychopath revels in random murderous rampages. Nigh indestructible Goliaths hurl one another through a series of walls and other physical traumas that would kill a mere mortal. Man dispatches dozens of gun wielding enemies with nothing but skillful swordplay. Common sense and the laws of physics, biology and chemistry temporarily abandoned. Antagonist using loved one's murder as justification for misguided crusade.

I could go on but this is just exhausting. If you're over the age of twelve and not living in mom's basement, there's probably nothing here for you. Depressingly enough, it's not too far off of par for superhero movies so discount all I've written if you can't get enough of the genre.
152 out of 288 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Pure X-Men experience !!!
Jason Bond6 June 2009
To tell you the truth, i never expected this movie to take me to that point.I felt like I was 13 again. it was excellent. By far this is the best X men movie made, that brought out the real Marvel X men experience which i loved. Obviously from the first X men movie it self we knew that Hugh Jackman was the perfect Wolverine, and he has turned out to e a legend. i don't think anybody else in this world could bring out the animal and portrait Logans sensitive side both at the same time. It was brilliant. And it would be a crime if i don't mention the spectacular performance by Liev Schreiber as Sabertooth AKA Victor Creed. My god he was the Villain of the story, but his reflection of sabertooth made all X men fans to fall in love with him. I fell in love with that character. it was like the true cartoon sabertooth from the 1980's was brought to life. I hated the sabertooth that was in X Men 1. it was like a bad soft toy. Finally what made this movie the best X men movie is not the graphics or the effects, or sound, It was the Strong Story which happen to be the true story of Wolverine. Don't get me wrong though the graphics effects, sounds were excellent. Then as every Critic i have a few Criticism's as well. The main thing what i don't like in this move is what they did to dead pool at the end. That never happened!! they made that awesome mutant a freak!! I loved his performance (could've done better) and i love that Character Dead Pool. They could've used him Differently. Having said That overall it was a brilliant movie. All true Old marvel comic X men lovers would worship this movie. I can't wait till they create the next movie and i really really love to see my all time favorite one of the most powerful Mutants, APOCALYPSE!!!! in it... One Last thing; Only a true old X men lover could get the fullest impact on this great movie or should i call it the great piece of ART done by Gavin Hood, David Benioff, Skip Woods And Hugh Jackman?
34 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If your not a comic book reader on an ego trip~YOU'LL LOVE THIS MOVIE!
This movie cost 150 million to make and that was obvious.

I Loved the whole movie the last third I was completely caught up in it! Hugh Jackman was outstanding as well as the rest of the cast.

It's Very entertaining....isn't that why you go to see a movie! The people saying negative things about this movie are like people who design roll coasters...and claim it was not good enough after they rode it!!!

Anyone else...a normal person who is relaxing and trying to enjoy the ride will be COMPLETELY HAPPY!

It seems a lot of people posting on here are strictly all about spouting their knowledge of comics....

Please...Your Not the person who wrote this....lighten up....your a nobody trying to be a somebody by attacking this movie!

******Go SEE this movie it's worth the 8 bucks!!!!
53 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
X marks the spot -- Great Film.
youyou4 June 2009
This film was amazing because I liked the action but I also managed to squeeze a plot out of it, a humanistic, exciting plot at that. The first X-Men was good, X-Men 2 was beyond that, X-Men 3 may have lost ground but Wolverine picked up that ground and then some. It's a sequel that not only surpassed X3 but is intriguing and well structured.

I've used this colloquialism before but "X marks the spot" and there are plenty of big action scenes throughout this amazing movie that it has to be called spectacular. Wolverine goes ballistic in a good way and the introduction to newcomers Gambit, Wraith and even Wade makes for an intriguing watch. It's action with a nice mix of smarts and fun. I don't understand how anyone can complain about that awesome ending. I guess I don't subscribe to the strict adherence to the source material as law. It more then works as a movie.
29 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this