IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 10 of 62: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

amazing.

Author: onedaykim from United States
15 November 2011

Let me start off by saying that the first time I saw it, I was disappointed. I expected much more action and all that, since it IS a superhero movie.

But after seeing it a few more times, I have come to absolutely adore this movie. Captain America: TFA doesn't try to be as action packed as Iron Man. It's just.. different. It's one man who sincerely and wholeheartedly wants to fight for his country and serve his nation. He will stop at nothing to get into the army to do so.

Chris Evans does an excellent job at playing Cpt. Steve Rogers and the rest of the cast does their part extremely well too. Not everything is perfect though, they really could of done a better job at the whole "mini" Steve Rogers... he just looks silly. Also they really could of made the Red Skull more... cooler I guess. In terms of power. Other than that, this movie is top notch fun.

I cannot wait to see him return in The Avengers!

Got a little Captain in You? SEE THIS MOVIE!

Author: witster18 from United States
25 October 2011

I started writing this review four or five times. I was comparing this movie to The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, and Spiderman. In the end, I realized that one of the few things that Captain America has in common with those movies - is that Captain America is a very good comic based feature film.

It doesn't have the 'look' of the Dark Knight, or the powerhouse performance of Heath Ledger(although Hugo is good), but Captain America has a truckload-full of comic heritage/homage(and style). The action is furious, and the hand-on-hand combat scenes are jaw-droppingly well-done.

The story is totally unbelievable, totally ridiculous, and yet so totally comic-book; exactly what it was supposed to be. But, what really sets this movie apart is the quality and care that went into the feature from top to bottom.

The film isn't as predictable or simplistic as many others in the genre.

Marvel has really polished this 40's hero into something that will appeal to anyone who is going into the theater/movie to be entertained. The film has everything to offer: Action, Comedy, thoughtful computer imaging, well-developed characters, a deep storyline, and complete and total awareness of what a comic-book audience might want out of a movie.

If you don't want to see a story that centers around a dangerous, independent faction of the Gustapo garnering power from unearthly sources, only for the U.S. to harness the same power to create the American fighting machine, only to get revenge, in what still amounts to an American WW2 propaganda campaign enactment - then don't see this movie. That war is over anyway. And if all that nonsense isn't enough for you - then don't worry - there's a lot more, fun 'nonsense' that I left out.

BUT, if you just wanna sit down and put a huge smile on your face for the fastest two hours of this movie-season, then jump aboard this new franchise while it's fresh and hot.

In recent decades we have had many Batman films, many Spiderman films, many Superman films, many hulk films, and 2 Ironman films. When I heard about the development of this project - I was giddy. Months later when the film was released, and after I saw the average trailers, I missed the film at theaters. Thankfully, the wait for the DVD release wouldn't be long.

I went in with moderate expectations. I was aware that the score hovered around 7.0 here on IMDb.

Like many other kids, I grew up liking Captain America. The normal guy dressed in red, white, and blue, yielding a shield that resembled the American flag, riding motorcycles... what's not to like. He was always the coolest of the Marvel characters, and it's fitting that we get to enjoy such a cool and thorough adaptation.

This movie brought all those likable character traits to life and made me proud to be a fan. The retro look added realism to an unrealistic story. This film looks like it might have been made in the 80's, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The films' subject matter and storyline demands open-mindedness from it's audience, but isn't that exactly what we should expect from a comic book film? If you can't put aside those expectations of realism - then you shouldn't see a comic book based film in the first place. Spend your hard earned money on this if you haven't yet, and get blown away from this years' best pure-action film.

Great little surprise! 84/100

You'll like this if you liked:Batman('89), Ironman, Superman('78), Superman 2('80),Rocketeer, and The Punisher('04).

Somehow, with all it's action and storytelling, Captain America also successfully and seamlessly serves as the major platform for the upcoming Avengers project.

P.S. I liked Thor, but I LOVED this.

Thanks for reading, and I sincerely hope you enjoy the movie.

The Cap doesn't disappoint

Author: anifanmc from United States
31 July 2011

The Marvel Cinematic Universe can do no wrong, it seems--with nearly every film release closer to their Avengers extravaganza, we get a new style of storytelling which seems to show just how diverse the universe really is. With Iron Man, we get a balls-out action flick with glitz, glam, and some great character. With The Incredible Hulk, we got a taste of a genuine love story. In Thor, we got a fantasy epic which took an old story and made it incredibly new. And finally, Captain America takes classic war movies like Patton, adventure movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, and superhero films, and puts together an amazing amalgam which works well.

The story is one of the oldest in comic book history but they manage to distill it down to its core for the uninitiated: Steve Rogers, a puny kid from Brooklyn, wants so badly to join the army to fight evil and serve his country, but keeps getting turned down because of his laundry list of medical problems and his stature. Eventually he captures the eye of Dr. Abraham Erskine, a German defector who was horrified with Hitler's rise to power, and he becomes the test subject for a super-soldier serum that augments Rogers' strength - not just physically, but emotionally, building upon his inherently good character. This forms the core of the movie, as Erskine repeatedly states that no matter what Rogers becomes, he should "stay a good man". And he does. He eventually comes head to head with the Red Skull, the head of the Nazi science division, Hydra, who has ambitions of his own to take over the world using a device he calls the "Tesseract" (which most comic book fans might recognize as the infamous Cosmic Cube!).

The movie itself is written and directed beautifully. It doesn't rely on the superhero clichés of the guy who falls from grace or has some sort of personal problems, and then has to work to overcome them or become humbled. Thor in this respect, despite its originality, was very much a typical comic book film. The Cap isn't full of personal problems - sure he's a weakling at first, but what matters most is his convictions and his character, and that's what shines throughout the movie. Repeated scenes in the movie showcase this and really allow us to see what makes the Cap unique. Is he perfect? Well, he has trouble talking to women, sure. But he's not tempted by evil, greed, or selfishness.

More than anything, I love how this movie starts to really tie the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe together. We meet Howard Stark, the father of Tony Stark, with his Howard Hughes-esque personality. The Cosmic Cube is a gift to mankind from Odin, and the various references to Yggdrasil, the Nine Realms, etc tie in the cosmic mythos built up in Thor. And at the end... without giving away too much... we finally see SHIELD enter the picture.

This movie is worth your money at the theaters. 9/10.

Top notch entertainment

Author: jcillini88 from United States
30 July 2011

This summer has been, without a doubt, a summer dominated by super heroes. Marvel had three films this summer and all were significantly better than DC's Green Lantern. Captain America is the last origin film before the Avengers comes out next summer. All of the origin films (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor and now Captain America) have been top notch films.

Captain America had high expectations. Not only is he one of DC's most popular super heroes, he is one that most people, whether they are a fan or not are familiar with; especially if they live in the U.S. Not to mention that all of the other Avenger origin films were great. Many people when looking at Joe Johnston's track record were concerned. Most of his films, though not terrible, were not on par with the likes of Thor, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Chris Evans also raised eye brows as the choice to play Captain America. He formerly starred in the Fantastic Four films, which were probably the worst in the Marvel canon thus far. Chris Evans was not terrible in that film, but he certainly was not great.

With all of this playing against it Captain America managed to go above and beyond what most were likely expecting. First, Chris Evans was great as Captain America. He made the character connect with audiences and also captured the spirit of Captain America. It also helped that Joe Johnston did an excellent job directing. Evans also had an all star cast behind him, including Stanley Tucci, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving and Hayley Atwell, who did an excellent job as Peggy Carter.

There is a lot of good things in this film. First and foremost the story is good and easy to follow. They made a good decision to make this a period film set in the midst of WWII. Second, as I have already mentioned the acting was great. Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell did a great job. Their was real chemistry between the two and at the end of the film you care about both of them. Their love story was much better than the love story in the other Avenger films. The effects, for the most part were great, as was the the 3D.

Despite this movies strengths there was some cringe worthy dialogue and some poorly delivered lines. Some of the effects were lacking, though none as bad as the effects in Harry Potter when they found the horcruxe in the room of requirement (it literally looked like they were flying in front of a movie screen).

I don't want to go too much more in depth. Basically see the movie. It is a great movie. It will be one of the best times you have at the theaters all summer.

The first taste of an epic story.

Author: Alain Nicolle from Guatemala
30 July 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger.

The film tell us the origins of the Captain, The war and the Villain.

Story 8/10. Is based in the comic book, but it has some faults. Some deaths that shouldn't exist. Some geographic, time-line errors. But besides that is a great story.

Special Effects 7/10. For a Marvel/Disney movie some effects are pure CGI. I'm not talking TF3 CGI but it abuses sometimes. Specially in the scene where Captain meets the Villain.

Acting 9/10. Chris Evans has to be, with Robert Downey Jr the best casting for The Avengers. He is the Captain America, his acting as "Little Steve" is a great performance (making us forget of the Fantastic Four). Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter is a good actress, Her scenes with Chris are better by far than the Portman-Hemsworth or Paltrow-Downey. Sebastian Stan has a small role but it delivers a great acting as Bucky Barnes. Overall the casting was way good. And they know how to act!!

The movie is enjoyable, is the best of the marvel films yet.... Works, is not bored. Great movie.

Not perfect, but a very entertaining experience

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
29 July 2011

I like the Captain America character very much whenever he is presented in the comics as a strategic and spiritual leader of the Avengers team, but I honestly never enjoyed his original adventures, which were written during the '40s as simple political propaganda during the World War II, more than 20 years before than when Marvel Comics adopted him as a fundamental part of its emergent superheroes universe. That's why I tried to keep realistic expectations before watching Captain America: The First Avenger. As an "origin story", the screenplay would be a recount of his beginnings as a patriotic symbol, fighting against Nazis and enemies of the North American democracy...which has a very different meaning now than the one it had during the '40s. Back in that while, the threaten from Nazis and communists was palpable and concrete, and it justified fast and offensive actions. On the opposite, we now have ambiguous "wars" against the drugs, the terrorism and similar ghosts which look like excuses to spend money, usurp governments and manipulate international relationships. How does the Captain America fit into this reality without looking like a parody created by a political cartoonist?

Fortunately, co-screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely took the good decision of evading that question, and they instead preferred to use the patriotic angle as a secondary humorous detail, leaving the field free to explore the "retro" atmosphere from World War II and creating a narrative which simultaneously feels old and modern. The consequence is that we have a solid and dynamic screenplay which captures the military heroism from the war films starring John Wayne (1907-1979), while Joe Johnston's competent direction employs all kinds of modern techniques in order to bring the colorful villains and exaggerated adventures to life. In summary: a very entertaining action and adventure film, which is free of any ideological contaminants and stylish excesses.

Captain America: The First Avenger faced the task of simultaneously being an exciting introduction of a superhero, and an adequate prequel of the future film The Avengers (by the way, don't forget to stay until the end of the credits). I think that the movie works very well on both aspects, even though it makes the first thing better than the second one. The transformation from the weakling Steve Rogers into Captain America touches the necessary base from the superhero manual (tough mentor: present!; romantic interest: present!; brave "sidekick": present!), without neglecting the emotional development from the character and his well balanced relationships. In the fantastic field, we have fun "pseudo-science" which adequately evokes that idealized futuristic aura which impulsed the best adventures from the "pulp" literature. And the "black and white" of heroes against villains dissipates any moral ambiguity during the battles which represent the crash between the good and the evil. And it fulfills with its function as a prequel well, even though I found the plan of the villain to be a bit generic and unimaginative. The mentions of Odin and the enigmatic "tesseract" feel like obligatory elements to preserve what was established in the film Thor, and leave everything ready for The Avengers. Nevertheless, that does not avoid Captain America: The First Avenger from being a very satisfactory experience, simultaneously different to Thor and Iron Man, and credible as a part of the same motley universe.

As for the cast, I will start mentioning the supporting one. The great Tommy Lee Jones is perfect as the Col. Chester Phillips, because of the credibility and attitude he brings to that character. Hayley Atwell is the romantic interest, something which is well handled by the screenplay and her good work as an actress. Sebastian Stan is efficient as "Bucky" Barnes, who is a good collaborator and faithful friend of Rogers/Captain America. He might not have the same age as his counterpart in the comic, but I prefer it this way; I honestly do not think it would have been very credible to see a teenager fighting in World War II. And finally, Hugo Weaving brings a credible level of threaten to his villain character.

As for Chris Evans in the leading role, I have opposed opinions. I consider him a good actor but, in this movie, I found him to be more credible as Rogers than as Captain America. I don't think he shows enough gravity and dramatic weight as Captain America. On the other hand, his work is good in the introduction of his new identity, when Rogers is barely assimilating the physical changes he experimented, and which may not still be registered in his subconscious. In other words, I liked Evans' performance as an unsafe young man who suddenly receives huge power without losing his nobility nor common sense...but I did not find him totally credible as Captain America. I hope he corrects that weakness in The Avengers.

It seems unbelievable...three Marvel Comics films in a same year. And something which seems even more unbelievable is that none of them were a fiasco, like it had happened in previous years with films which were made without the collaboration from Marvel (I know we all want to forget them, but I have to mention the atrocious The Punisher -2004- and the laughable Ghost Rider). Putting Captain America: The First Avenger in that context, I will say that I liked it a bit more than Thor, but less than X-Men: First Class. However, on its own merits, Captain America: The First Avenger deserves a recommendation as a very competent action and adventure film with a solid screenplay and firmly directed by Johnston, whose sensibility for the "pulp" style (which had previously been displayed in the brilliant The Rocketeer) worked very appropriately in here.

One of the Best Comic Book Hero Film Adaptations

Author: gradyharp from United States
26 October 2011

CAPTAIN America succeeds on so many levels that it is difficult to list them all. But perhaps one of the most refreshing aspects of this film is that it treats the story in a time frame (WW II) that makes the 'supernatural heroes and villains' seem like operatically overstated normal people. Opening the film with the superhero as a skinny nerdy but ethical and committed to do good kid and then see him transform into the hero of heroes who for once is doing good things because he cares about his fellowmen and his country makes for a feel good experience. Dapple that with some old-fashioned 1940s Rockettes type dance sequences and keep the 'impossible gimmicks' down to a level of near credibility and you have a winner.

Quick, borrowed plot outline: 'It is 1942, America has entered World War II, and sickly but determined Steve Rogers is frustrated at being rejected yet again for military service. Everything changes when Dr. Erksine recruits him for the secret Project Rebirth. Proving his extraordinary courage, wits and conscience, Rogers undergoes the experiment and his weak body is suddenly enhanced into the maximum human potential. When Dr. Erksine is then immediately assassinated by an agent of Nazi Germany's head of its secret HYDRA research department, Johann Schmidt aka the Red Skull, Rogers is left as a unique man who is initially misused as a propaganda mascot. However, when his comrades need him, Rogers goes on a successful adventure that truly makes him Captain America and his war against Schmidt begins.' And that about says it all.

Now, populate this story with a cast of first rate actors - Chris Evans as the magnificent Adonis built Steve Rogers/Captain America, Stanley Tucci as Dr Erskine, Hayley Atwell as the sole 'love interest' Peggy Carter (Natalie Dormer does have a few seconds of screen time, too), Tommy Lee Jones as the military guy in charge, Sebastian Stan as Steve's best buddy, Dominic Cooper (a good guy), and a set of villains starting with Hugo Weaving as Red Skull, Toby Jones as Dr.Zola, Richard Armitage as Heinz Kruger and then fill in the spare parts with the likes of Samuel L. Jackson, Neal McDonough, Derek Luke, Kenneth Choi, JJ Feild, Bruno Ricci, Michael Brandon, Martin Sherman etc and the results are almost guaranteed to be good.

Joe Johnston directs the film in a propulsive fashion that takes time out for some humanity amid all the military derring-do and allows just the right amount of sarcasm and humor (courtesy the screenplay by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely) and it all comes out 'just swell'. A terrific night's entertainment!

Grady Harp

Shifting Interiors

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
18 October 2011

It just doesn't make any sense to me, how consistently bad Marvel's films are. Perhaps someone who loves the comics can be transported out of the movie into some well established fantasy world. In that case, all you need are a few cues.

But they just don't connect with me, with the exception of just a few set pieces. There's one here toward the end, where the two masters finally fight it out. It happens in a Nazi plane powered by an occult force, patterned after the much maligned Northrop Flying Wing. But the plane changes scale up and down ranging from roughly normal size to more than a magnitude larger.

The bashing and gnashing is ordinary but the art design of this scene is pretty good. The camera moves in extraordinary ways as the plane careens. It mimics That scene in 'Mr Arkadin' where Welles' character kills a prostitute because she might know something.

The environment shifts and the camera as well in a syncopated fashion. Knowing the history of that Northrop design adds to the case; it had control problems that had to wait for computerized control systems that enabled the B2 bomber. Reagan got behind it based on his belief in magic, the presentation coordinated with dates determined by Nancy's stars. Great to see that magic here, with the villain speaking precisely like Werner Herzog.

Otherwise, not a single redeeming feature.

Captain America- the last before The Avengers

Author: ChrisTheReviewer from Slovenia
9 August 2011

So Captain America!... the last superhero movie before the Avengers

And how those this all America movie fair? pretty good to be honest. Even though this movie was pushing the whole American war propaganda a little over the edge I never quite felt the "america" in the movie which is a good thing. The sight of Chris Evans portraying Steve Rogers before the super-soldier serum was hilarious but it kinda felt real and non cgi. Kudos to Chris Evans playing a wimp for a change even though only for a short while. Chris Evans was perfect for the role of the young and brave Steve Rogers who later became one of the first known superheroes Captain America. Kudos also to Hugo Weaving who very convincably portrayed the antagonist The red Skull. Both characters were believable were so different in their roles that they actually balanced each other out. As for the rest of the cast. Well Hayley Atwell and Tommy Lee Jones did not contribute much to the acting department. both characters were super underdeveloped especially Atwell who was the romantic interest to Rogers. And Tommy Lee Jonses character was also super clichéd. The movie had some pacing issues with feelings that some scenes lasted for too long but the action scenes were excellent especially with Captain Americas shield which made a nice ding sound when it hit an opponent.

Overall Cpatin America was an excellent superhero movie which kept me wanting for The Avengers movie even more :)

I give this movie a 8 out of 10

Team America, this is not.

Author: Ced Yuen from United Kingdom
4 August 2011

Marvel Studios' master plan is going well. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and Thor have each made the jump from page to screen, their adventures paving the way for 'The Avengers'. All that remains is Captain America, the last to be adapted before the characters can be assembled next summer.

It is World War II, and Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) is deemed too small and too weak to join the Army. He keeps trying, and eventually he finds himself in an experiment to create super soldiers. Meanwhile, Nazi scientist Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) steps out of Hitler's shadow with his own plans for world domination.

Captain America was conceived as an unapologetically American symbol, designed to boost wartime morale. After the war, the character faded into obscurity, aside from a poorly planned revival labelled 'Captain America: Commie Smasher'. To most people he seems like a relic, a dated caricature of overzealous patriotism. Turning him into a proper character, relevant to today's audience, was always going to be an immense challenge, especially when America's popularity seems to be in constant debate.

Thankfully, the film takes inspiration from the more sensible Captain America stories, the ones that focus on the man rather than the mask. Like any superhero origins story, this is indeed a 'zero to hero' tale, but the film is far more interested in the 'zero', leaving it to the inevitable sequel to focus on the capes and the colours.

As it was with Christopher Nolan's 'Batman Begins', the protagonist spends most of the film not in costume. Viewers are given time to get to know the weakling Steve Rogers as he goes up against bigger, stronger men and proves his dedication to the values of courage and selflessness. This approach ensures that he always seems like the "brave little guy", regardless of how he later looks.

By taking its time with the character development, the film demonstrates that it is more about ideals than it is about America, which makes the character more universally appealing. The title of 'Captain America' is more of a formality than an accurate description. In fact, a solid segment of the film is devoted to ridiculing and dismissing the character's flag-waving origins.

Chris Evans does a great job as Steve Rogers. His performance is consistently understated; despite the increased muscles and colourful clothes, it is always 'skinny Steve' that the audience sees. A special mention goes to the special effects team, who have done remarkably well in making the physically beefed-up actor look convincingly small and weak.

Hugo Weaving is just as watchable in his role. The Red Skull is the most interesting villain in the Marvel films so far. His obsession with the creation of 'the superior man' makes him a creepy echo of Hitler. Weaving's performance is a mix of German Agent Smith and Bond villain, which works very well.

'Captain America: The First Avenger' is a very solid piece of entertainment. There is a good balance of drama and cheese, of action and humour. The 1940s setting is convincing and there is an old school, Indiana Jones vibe to it. It succeeds as another adaptation of comic- book property, fitting in perfectly with its companions. After this, and the post-credits tease, 'The Avengers' cannot come soon enough.