IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 10 of 69: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

35-Year Cap Fan Very Happy

Author: hsjones2112 from United States
13 December 2011

The first Marvel comic book I bought on a newsstand was The Invaders #16 (cover dated May 1977, bought in February), and Captain America was my first favorite superhero. So I've been anticipating this film somewhat nervously for a long time. It not only didn't disappoint; it blew me away! Best Marvel movie yet. It has a simple, focused story line that stayed true to the original character; awesome visuals throughout; and perfect casting. Deviations from the original storyline are, as always, forgiven by me. Fact is they captured the essence of Captain America just as it first sparked my ten year-old imagination in 1977. Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

They keep doing this, Hollywood Script Writers......

Author: tim-1419 from United Kingdom
10 December 2011

what do you call a superhero in a world of superheroes? Answer...normal. Green Lantern was totally ruined by making the first and the last movie in one go, same with Thor. Why can't we have a superhero who lives in the real world, dealing with real world problems. We didn't need Red Skull in this movie until at least movie two. A whole world war with both side racing to make atomic bombs was enough for movie one. These super hero movies are too much too quick. Slow down Hollywood. Anyway, Captain America is BY FAR the best of the recent superhero movies. Steve Rogers has much in common with Peter Parker. People you can genuinely like and care about. A great standard of film making throughout. No SFX overkill (Green Lantern) and the wonderful, irreplaceable Tommy Lee Jones. Definitely one for my collection!

Something Deeper?

Author: Klas3176 from United States
6 December 2011

It is obvious that Captain America is an enormously popular flick, and although there will always be people who find some fault in one aspect or another, just looking at the numbers makes it clear that this movie strikes a chord in the hearts of a good majority of Americans. Many people have already given their opinions on the movie itself – whether or not it follows the original storyline well enough, or whether or not the characters were believable enough – and I have nothing novel to say on that point. However, I do want to point out some of the themes that struck me within the movie because I firmly believe that Captain America's popularity springs from something deeper within it. We've seen Hollywood spit out one action flick after another, but not all of them have the same appreciation, so what's the deal with this one? Captain America's action scenes are cool but they're really not any more stunning than the next movie, it has comedic elements without being overly funny, and there is very little in the way of sexual material to grab the audience's attention. No, I think the reason for Captain America's popularity lies in its themes of character and sacrifice.

In Steve Rogers we find a scrawny little guy with one goal in life: to serve his country with honor. We see in the opening scenes how Rogers possesses an irrepressible inner drive to be a part of the war, but it is not for himself, his desire is completely selfless. "Men are laying down their lives," he tells his friend, Buckey, "how can I do any less?" The plot makes it crystal clear that Rogers is chosen for the super- soldier program for what is inside him – his character – and the success he experiences throughout the movie are accomplished because of his selfless determination to do the right thing no matter what. Could it be that audiences find it so easy to root for this guy because they recognize the value of character, or the value of doing the right thing? Although many people want to assert that nobody can tell you what is right or wrong, the response from audiences to a guy who selflessly and consistently does the right thing tells us otherwise.

Similarly, the theme of sacrifice seems to connect quite a bit with us as an audience. All throughout the movie, Rogers is sacrificing himself for others. When the only opportunity open to him is to be a performer in a ridiculous suit, he swallows his pride and takes it, sacrificing his dream to be a part of the army so that he can support the troops in any way possible. Of course the biggest example of Rogers' sacrifice is the ultimate one he makes at the very end, by laying down his life to save the city. Could it be that people love Captain America so much because they recognize the beauty of the sacrifices, especially the ultimate sacrifice he made? Could it be true that, "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13)?

I know some people may not want to believe in "antiquated" or "overly religious" ideas such as selflessness, moral character, and sacrificing ones self for others, but when we watch movies like Captain America, I think we start to understand that these things really are imprinted in our hearts. Captain America gets high marks from me; it is first-rate in its quality and quite deep in its themes.

At last - a stand-out Superhero!

Author: guyincognito1 from United Kingdom
29 November 2011

There are many superhero movies, but Captain America is one that has caught my eye, and this alone, with the vast expanse of similarly-themed films, only ameliorates the success of Joe Johnston's adaptation of a comic-book story of a young man who loves his country. This theme in itself is enough, as films such as Glory (1989), Rocky (1976), and Patton (1970) have already shown, but although the patriotism in Captain America is blatant for all to see (just look at his name!), it is ultimately justified. The original 'Captain America' was, as the film explains (in a roundabout way) merely a morale-booster, a propaganda ploy, and Johnston used this to his advantage.

By showing how this ploy was nowhere near as effective as people thought it would be this film serves also as a reminder of true American values, not just the petty bureaucratic ones of government officials. But I digress. I don't pretend that this film has any true moral values, other than those of 'goodness over evil' which is the central theme of any superhero film. What I do say, however, is that this film, for me at least, has been an enormous success, not least because of the seriousness with which it took itself. The actors... well, the principles at least, seemed to take their roles to heart, something which is very difficult to do when you are making a fantasy film.

Recent franchises such as Spiderman seem to have lost their way. 'Peter Parker', a representation of victory and triumph to geeks everywhere has lost himself in the persona of 'Spiderman', or so was the impression I got from the train-wrecks of 2 and 3, but The Captain remains true to himself throughout, and this is what I think made the movie such a captivator. Yes, bits of it looked ridiculous, but so do elements of all superhero films. It is an unavoidable inconsequence.

There is, of course, lots of action, which was beautifully sequenced, and the special effects were predictably stunning, and also fantastically well implemented. Maybe the franchise will go the same way as that of the Spiderman trilogy, but for the moment at least, this is the Superhero movie to beat. Game on.

I enjoyed it. My kind of entertainment.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
12 November 2011

Poor Steve Rogers. It is 1942 and the USA has entered the conflict that would become known as World War 2. Steve desperately wants to join the Army. He is from New York but after being rejected there tries to gain entry at several different New Jersey recruiting locations, each time being rejected for his small size and frail looks.

But Steve is nothing if not persistent, and finally gets someone to accept him. Predictably he is deficient in most areas requiring quickness or strength, but he has more perseverance than any of the others.

What Steve didn't know was the scientist was looking for the perfect subject of his project, a serum and a treatment that could convert anyone into someone with greatly magnified qualities. But magnifying qualities that the person already had. And Steve had exemplary qualities.

The experiment worked, Steve became a hero of sorts, and people coined the nickname "Captain America." The government put him to good use, traveling around the country, dressed in his Captain America suit, and participating in skits to boost loyalty and confidence during this difficult time.

But Steve wanted more, he wanted to go where the action was, to fight for his country. And when he gets the chance, he earns the "hero" title.

Chris Evans is Steve Rogers, who becomes Captain America. I would be curious to know what cinema tricks they used, to show him as a short, thin, weak young man then as a taller, strong muscular young man. Maybe "face replacement" techniques that have become popular in recent years. Maybe I'll look it up.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. My kind of entertainment.

Quite a Good Movie

Author: Site Sakaio from Australia
5 October 2011

First I have quite abit of complaining about the ending to the movie and to those who actually know stuff about Captain America, then you'ld know that the ending is actually quite accurate, expect for the fact that Bucky did not die along side him as seen below Movie:Bucky dies when himself and Steve Rogers (Captain America) walk into a trap setup by Hydra.As Rogers enters another cart as Bucky lingers behind, the doors slam shut, as the both of them are separated and have advancing enemy's, and after Rogers thinks he had taken care of the other Hydra member, he take a glance at Bucky's situation and gives Bucky his gun and they deal with the last Hydra member together, then as their guards fall, the Hydra member once fighting with Rogers attacks them both from behind as Rogers it sends Rogers flying, dropping his shield near Bucky, which Bucky picks up to fend the Hydr member off and as a ray hit the shield the force send Bucky, flying out of the train where he is believed to of had died Comic:Bucky and Rogers find there way into Hydra's HQ, where they see Schmit, fleeing in yet another rocket ship and as a last ditch effort, Bucky and Rogers jump on in hope of destroying the ship, and as they do so rocket ship is detoured towards icy water where Bucky meets his death and due to Roger's super human body he simply sent into suspended animation.

And the beginning and middle are fairly accurate despite for this and the action scenes are all well done, and well supported by good acting and a good plot.

Thumbs up my brotherend!

Author: meyoukangaroo from Australia
10 March 2012

I'd admit it, I had watched it a bit late, but this is by the far, next to Tower Heist in recent movies, as the better ones of cinema now. This is a pinnacle of the right medium thrown across the face of the expected general bland that is Hollywood entertainment at this point; where the biggest movie stars perform in mediocre films, and everything seems to be contemporary, stupid or depressing. But once in a while, someone a director or and actor or a writer comes a long, to reinstate at least some hope back in all that bland unoriginal theme, and in the right way. Captain America was a homage to the comic series, it was great, it had plenty of actions and even though it kept that relevantly typical marvel comic build like that of Spiderman where something extraordinary happens, it was made in the most rationalized means, and fitted into a nice framework of creativity and originality. That's the word - originality and ingenuity, - you don't get that often in Hollywood now- a-days, and this really slapped it on like well ridden material. A true homage, and even though my "fellow" viewers found it a bit "unrealistic" and the humor "obvious/offbeat comic-relief" they don't know what the movie competitors are, to truly know how much other movies now a days are off beat in humor and "weird", my fellow viewers are insane, and don't know what they're talking about. There were no boring bits, and it was funny and quirky all the way. And most of all it was GENUINE, - weirdness and offbeat humor are made splendid when like in the movie where the main character learns from the scientist that value of strength is what's important, - this movie shows how the value of the genuine is important, and that can triumph over occasional unrealistic marvel aspects and offbeat humour (if any) any time of any day in this current movie industry.

The Best Marvel Movie Since IRON MAN

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
19 December 2011

Here it is: the final ingredient for Marvel Studios' ambitious Avengers crossover film in the summer of 2012. Honestly, I wasn't all that excited in the months leading up to Captain America's big budget induction into Marvel's film canon for a few reasons. When I'd originally read that director Joe Johnston would be stepping in to helm the film, my mind kept going back to JURASSIC PARK 3 and how it had tainted a fun franchise. Combine that with the fact that I've never been a die-hard Captain America fan and the knowledge that the filmmaker's were going to have a lot of story on their hands if they wanted to bring the Captain America story to the point where he's ready for an Avengers crossover (covering his origins, his time in WWII, his arrival in contemporary times, etc.) in one film; I had severe doubts going in. For the non-Marvel fans, Captain America tells the story of Steve Rogers, a young man desperate to enlist in the military and fight for his country in World War II. Unfortunately he's got a list of physical problems that more than ensure he'll never see combat; that is, until he's approached by Dr. Abraham Erskine who wishes to test a new serum on Rogers. The procedure turns Rogers from a scrawny weakling into a super soldier and he becomes America's hero. As Captain America, it becomes apparent that he might be the country's only real hope against the forces of HYDRA and it's leader, the Red Skull.

I admit I was wrong about this movie. It's the best Marvel film since the first IRON MAN in 2008. This is because it doesn't necessarily feel as if I'm watching a "superhero" movie. When I saw THOR earlier this year (and especially GREEN LANTERN), I started wondering if all these superhero comic-inspired movies were beginning to fall into a pattern where each of them would start feeling like the same tale over and over with different characters. As if Hollywood execs would just create a superhero Mad Libs and fill out the lines with a different character each time and follow the same mold. CAPTAIN America didn't have that feeling. This movie felt more like an action/adventure film in the same vein as the Indiana Jones series that just happened to feature a super-powered protagonist. His powers aren't flashy and over-the-top. He can't fly or transform or fire energy blasts. He's just super strong, fast, and handy with a shield. As a result, the movie feels more grounded in reality (despite HYDRA's future tech and Howard Stark's gizmos). The Red Skull's abuse of the cosmic cube and the power it gives him to create his weapon of mass destruction feels no different from the Nazi's obsession with utilizing the Ark of the Covenant. I wasn't aware how badly I was missing a good adventure film until CAPTAIN America came around. I hope they continue the same adventure vibe with future movies in the series despite Cap's arrival in contemporary times.

There were a few major mistakes this movie could've made that would've turned the whole thing into a joke, but they avoid all of them. The filmmakers had a real challenge with this one, keeping the WWII origins intact and creating a style for the Captain that stays true to his design without coming off as too hokey. I love that the designers showed some love for the original costume in the propaganda sequences, and the actual costume was a great combination of the original Captain America with a more realistic style. Chris Evans was a perfect choice for the title role. We may as well forget that he ever played the Human Torch in the FANTASTIC 4 movies, because this is Evan's ideal comic hero role. He gives Rogers/Cap a real charisma and fighting spirit; he is the ultimate "good guy". And his villain is just as perfect. Hugo Weaving is a perfect villain for any movie, so it makes sense that he'd make such an awesome Red Skull. He hams it up just enough to be menacing and memorable without going over the edge into comical. With all of these strengths, my only complaint would probably be that the movie had to rush and get Rogers into modern times. I know we've got an Avengers movie to look forward too but I wish we'd had a little more time of Captain America kicking Nazi butt. Otherwise, CAPTAIN America was my surprise hit for the summer.

Patriotism in a movie:

Author: clintongibbs from United States
18 October 2011

I remember the news paper reports of how some were discussed at that Captain America: The First Avenger" was going to be cut short to "The First Avenger" for the international markets. It was as if the international community would not be able to figure out the main character's name wearing a stars and stripes outfit carrying a US flag for a shield, but I progress and on to the review. This is my first review and I will probably not do the movie justice.

The movie was very well made. With the exception of the first movies it released, Marvel Enterprises is becoming known for its beginning backtracking. One of the reasons why it was so well made is all that the movie needed to do. This was Star Wars equivalent of "Revenge of the Sith." (I am one of the few fans of Star Wars that enjoy the prequels, but agree certain things could have been done better.) Mr. Johnston did a very good job in taking advantage of the patriotism felt and expressed in those days as he developed the courageous character of Steve Rogers. It was also a high point to show that what Rogers lacked in physical stature he made up for in intelligence. The part that I though was a little silly was the unveiling of the assassin, but it was well made up for in embellishing on the history of one of the reasons why Captain America was created. A little bit of doubt in his real purpose in the war, and reason for his participation in project rebirth is shown. After the doubt he becomes proactive and the movie is full of action, preparation, and more action until a semi-romantic icing scene. The last part of the movie is awesome.

Mr. Evans portrayed both Steve Rogers and Captain America beautifully, and most importantly with was absolutely no hint of Johnny Storm in the performance. I mention The Human Torch because allot of complaining was being done about Marvel recycling actors, and frankly I had my own concerns. However one of the obstacles that is being recognized to being overcome is finding not only finding directors that will do the character and story line justice, but also finding the actors who will mold themselves into the character that they are portraying. Johnny Storm and Steve Roger are at complete opposite sides of personality and character, and Chris Evan portrayed them equally well.

A Let Down

Author: michael-colan from United States
18 August 2012

Finally we have reached the end of the journey for the solo Marvel Avenger films. This is the final film before we finally get to see the Avengers (2012). The series has had many good films but some rough spots. While Iron Man (2008), Incredible Hulk (2008) have been high points in the series. Iron Man 2 (2010) however was without a doubt the worst film in the series. Still being the worst film in this series isn't still the worst movie ever. So where does this film land in this scale? Well I wish I could say that it was up there with Iron Man (2008) and Incredible Hulk (2008) but however Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) is down there with Iron Man 2 (2010). I have yet to see Thor (2011) but for now it is one of my least favorite films in the series.

The film shows Steve Rodgers wanting to serve his country proud in WWII but is deemed unfit for duty but his heart knows no bounds and wants to serve no matter what the cost. He is then chosen for a secret military project that is trying to create the ultimate super-soldier.

I would say the first half of this film works the best. The film crafts the origin story brilliantly. We really get to know Steve Rodgers and give us a reason to care about him while we learn just about everything possible. We learn about his desire to serve his country and what it means to him. Also the film does a good job with the WWII setting. The film also ties in well with the other films in the series. There are plenty of little references to the other films that fans. The villain is the Red Skull which is set up nicely throughout the film and is a villain that is underused. I am not a big believer on giving the villain a ton of screen time if it distracts from the main protagonist but the Red Skull is really underused completely.

However the film's second half falters big time. The film's story goes through some major pacing problem. The film starts to rush through the story devoting very little time to the scheme of the Red Skull which is never really explained very well either. Also the film never gives Captain America a very tough challenge. He just keeps on prancing through the film beating the crap out of whomever he faces. Not even morally and emotionally with the exception of two parts and both could have been guessed from last year. Not only was it predictable but it was devoid of really any emotion. The second half really hurts the film badly and I guess the film wasn't trying to be anything more than popcorn film but the other marvel films did have a bit more emotion and was expecting the same from this film.

Another problem is the action sequences are boring and un-exciting and stuff we have seen before. One of the problems I find with them is that Captain America doesn't really face much of a challenge at all. He throws his shield and kicks and punches people all the way to the end. It is the same thing every single time with a different setting.

Choosing director Joe Johnson was an interesting choice. I still am not convinced that he is really a capable or consistent director. To me he has been really up and down throughout him career. I enjoy his 1989 debut film "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" and his 1995 film "Jumanji." I found them fun family adventures and nothing more. Then "October Sky" in 1999 was a really well handled film but after that he goes to shaky ground. "Jurassic Park III" just kind of ruined the series in 2001. Hidalgo in 2004 was an uneven film and didn't end up being very good. I did however just plan love his "Wolfman" remake in 2010. So with 2 fun family movies, 1 really good drama, 1 great werewolf movie, and 2 bad movies what did I have to expect from this film? Well I have to say as a director his directing and camera choices might be his worst yet.

He uses a lot of quick moving zooms and pans he camera effects look terribly cheesy on screen. Even when watching the film in 2D I could clearly tell where the 3D effects were supposed to be and it looked again cheesy. The special effects used in the film except for the effects used on Chris Evens looked painfully fake and he overuses the CGI nothing looks that good. The actually look of the film is very beautiful and great to look at for that reason but really that's where it ends. The music is not memorable at all thinking about it now I can't think remember it.

The acting I have to say is pretty good though. Chris Evans is excellent as Steve Rodgers/Captain America really portrays him well. Tommy Lee Jones is above excellent as Colonel Chester Phillips. The man is so funny and is able to display leadership all at the same time. Hugo Weaving is also great as the underused villain Johann Schmidt / Red Skull. Dominic Cooper has really strong supporting as Howard Stark. And the rest of the supporting work for the most part is good too. However Hayley Atwell is incredibly wooden as Peggy Carter. It doesn't help that the fact that the romance between the Cap and her was so under developed.

The final film before The Avengers (2012) is a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong I really wanted to like this and it looked really good fun well-made adventure. However most things just seem to fall just a bit sort. I will give the sequel "Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) a chance though.

Final Score