IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 9 of 70: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Best avengers movie yet!

Author: cthulu17 from United States
6 May 2012

So where to begin? At first I was a little apprehensive when I found out that they had cast Chris Evans for the role of Cap, since I've never seen him in anything all that serious and lets face it, Captain America is a pretty big deal. But I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by how things turned out.

In my opinion this may be the best Avengers movie yet. Blasphemy! I know! Thor didn't offer too much competition, but that really wasn't its fault since Thor has never had the most interesting plots anyway, unless you've got a real thing for Norse mythology or something. Please allow me to clarify though: Thor was not bad in any way really, it just wasn't great either and it just ended up somewhere in what I consider to be a respectable sort of middle area, being better than mediocre, but not as good as great. Anyhow, the Iron Man movies were good, but they didn't have one advantage Captain America uses to the fullest: a little thing called world war 2.

The other Avengers movies so far have had to struggle in some respects because they had to generate their in-film realities from scratch to a certain extent. In the case of Captain America, the cinematic reality has already been created many many times, I mean seriously, how many WWII movies do we have? And some of them were actually pretty good too. To it's favor, Captain America essentially has a very well made pre-rendered reality and atmosphere that's been built up from all the other WWII movies that have already been made. There is a wealth of cinematic information about how to make this type of period piece and it shows in the atmosphere of the film which feels both familiar and believable. There is one exception to this: I'm sure WWII history buffs that see this film will scoff at all the inaccuracies in this and every other WWII movie. But in my opinion, the reality of Captain America is very thorough and has plenty of depth.

One of the things I liked most about the movie was the casting. Not just the leads, and Chris Evans did pretty well, but maybe that's just because I was scared that he would perform terribly, but the supporting cast was one of the best I've seen in a while and in a superhero movie to boot! The character of Howard Stark is interesting and really helps to build the contiguous reality of the Avengers and I'm really happy for that, since continuity is going to be a big deal for the avengers going forwards. I must say Dominic Cooper was a solid choice for the role, but for some weird reason he reminds me of Leonardo DiCaprio. Hugo Weaving is a terrific choice as the red skull (I am not spoiling anything, if you didn't know, you're just willfully ignorant at this point) as he has proved himself to be an excellent villain before in some other film I just can't seem to recall...........

So anyhow, the basic breakdown is this: good atmosphere, believable acting, solid action, and actually pretty good plot. Initially I wasn't sure how they were going to tie it all in with the other Avengers threads, but now it all meshes rather nicely.

Important notes: The 3D is pretty good, so it's worth the extra $3 or so in my opinion and you DEFINITELY want to stay after the credits and I mean ALL the way after the credits. It seems like they might have done the same thing that they did with the Hulk where they put the teaser right at the end, but they have a little something extra after the credits and it is AMAZING! Won't say another word about it.

So go see it, it's great and check it out in 3D, they did a lot better than they did in Thor in my opinion and being in 3D was supposed to be a big part of the ad campaign for Thor, go figure.

Surprised by how much I liked it.

Author: kdnor2011 from United States
26 January 2012

It seems Marvel saved the best for last, at least in my opinion. Captain America is my personal favorite of the five pre-Avengers movies. And I think the main reason for that is that I actually really liked the plot of this movie. The other four film's plots were fine, but this one really interested me. Maybe I just love people beating the crap out of Nazi's? Also, I really liked the characters, especially Steve Rogers. He seems kind of like me. Unlike Thor and Tony Stark, this guy isn't a douchbag half the time. He's very likable and you really root for him. And his love interest is good as well, she's a tough female lead in a the time of World War II. But my favorite was Phillips, he was just so stereotypical war colonel that it was funny. And the film has a very good sense of humor without going over the top with it. The villain was cool, and Hugo Weaving was perfect. The acting, special effects, action scenes, and production value, all done well, it looked like the 40s. And I like the way it tied into Thor and Iron Man.

So what didn't I like, well near the middle we have that misunderstanding between Rogers and Carter, that's cliché enough, but then it's like they just forget about it as soon as it starts. Also there are some parts where it slows down, and I mean really slows down to where I just turned away and browsed the internet. And a lot of Captain America's team is forgettable, I thought that was his brother, but Wikipedia said it was his friend? So yeah, if you disagree that's fine, but this is my personal favorite of the pre-Avengers movies. And I'm very happy that Captain America is supposed to be the main focus of the Avengers. Or was that just a rumor?

Surprisingly Good!

Author: LinkGoku from United States
22 January 2012

I've never read any of Captain America's comics nor have been a fan of the character.

That being said I really enjoyed this movie.

Chris Evans did good as Captain America, and Hugo Weaving was a fantastic Red Skull. It was cool seeing Tommy Lee Jones, as well as being introduced to Howard Stark played by Dominic Cooper. Stanley Tucci and Toby Jones also are great in their roles.

Though this is kinda slow in the beginning, but it picks up well. The action wasn't anything We haven't already seen, but I love the feel of it, it really feels like its taking place in WWII.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the female love interest, because She was unneeded. However the actress is pretty good.

Joe Johnston, congrats! You made in My opinion, the best superhero movie of 2011! (closely followed by X-men First Class)

Old fashioned swashbuckling fun in the Indiana Jones style

Author: julian-mumford from New Zealand
6 December 2011

Another Marvel superhero, another origin story although this time we have a superhero with very few powers other than being able to jump higher, bash people harder and a 1941 period setting.

Equipped with a nifty USA emblazoned shield, Captain America (CA) was always going to be the hardest sell to cynical audiences not weaned on 1940 derring do cartoon strips. The clean cut hero with no flaws and a good heart is somewhat at odds with the many complicated, anti-heroes that audiences have now embraced.

Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) is a weedy guy, stood behind a lamp post you might not see him at all. His is brave though, throwing himself on a grenade to protect his unit buddies and desperate to go fight the Nazi's in WW2. His buddy Barnes (Stan) has already enlisted but Rogers keeps receiving a "4F" rejected due to poor health from the medical board, despite numerous attempts using false addresses.

Help comes in the form of Dr Erskine (Tucci) recruiting for "Project Rebirth", a plan to create super-soldiers using the usual powers you could not possibly imagine. Being the chosen one, Rogers turns into "Captain America" replete with ripped body, rather dodgy uniform, not yet the right shield and the letter "A" on his helmet.

So far, not that different to many other similar movies. However, we do have the best movie bad guys, no shades of grey here, Nazi's and not just ordinary soldiers but Uber Nazi's. The Hydra research unit, headed by Schmidt/Red Skull (Weaving), a man who despite working directly for Hitler, still believes there is wiggle room to be more extreme.

Due to circumstances, Rogers endures a lengthy period where he is tasked with selling war bonds rather than socking it to the bad guys. Fortunately, it is not long before he is unleashed with his rag tag self assembled squad, onto the unsuspecting Hydra unit. Stevens unit commander Colonel Phillips (Lee-Jones), offering support, great one liners and dressing down's in equal measure.

Rogers is designed as a throwback, a decent man suddenly entrusted with strengths and power that amplifies everything that is inherently good and decent about him. In direct contrast to Schmidt, whose dastardly plans and world domination are stretched to the evil limit, following the application of the unimaginable power source.

Unquestionably Uber Nazi's are the coolest villains, with the best gadgets, planes, cars and submarines which can be disintegrated with ray guns, shot and blown apart with little chance of offending a world wide audience. Dr Arnim Zola (Toby Jones), as a Nazi Scientist ticks all stereotype boxes without breaking sweat, you almost expect a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" coat hanger moment to appear at any moment.

Evans does not get much opportunity to act but does well enough with what he is given, special effect techniques cleverly displaying him as a man 60 kg dripping wet, then allowing his transformation into the real buff super-soldier, Evans post gym, with few technical hitches.

The film is almost old fashioned in it's action scenes, perhaps reminiscent of director Joe Johnson's "The Rocketeer" in style and content. Rogers gets a sort of girlfriend, in the shape of Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) whether CA gets even near first base is debatable. Dammit, there is a world to save after all.

This is the final piece in the Marvel "Avengers" puzzle, the new film due in 2012 incorporating all of the Marvel characters under "S.H.I.E.L.D" (Jackson), all of which have been carefully introduced to audiences over the last few years. Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) destined to be Iron Man's father, also gets a look in as mad inventor/billionaire, again linking the intertwining stories together.

The studio must surely be pleased at the reception received even for it's "lesser" characters, with respectable box office returns for both "Thor" and "Captain America".

Summary

Old fashioned swashbuckling fun in the Indiana Jones style, with a straight as an arrow good guy, pantomime villains and exciting well executed state of the art action sequences.

Fantastic Nazi villain lairs, awesome B-Wing bombers and enormous Nazi limousines, plenty of explosions and a reasonable story to hang all the action on.

What more could one want from a summer superhero movie?

Don't live up to its expectations

Author: Aasta Kyvik from oslo, norway
26 May 2014

First of all, I was deeply disappointed by the movie. I was looking forward to some spectacular and meaningful marvel superhero movie, but Captain America didn't quite live up to marvel's name.

First of all I have to say I enjoyed the training camp at the army, but that's about it. In those scene Rogers is a very honorable man, and I guess he continued being so, but after his transformation I really felt as the character lost his uniqueness. Like with the flag pole you could see his ability to think outside the box, but with him as captain America I didn't feel like there was anything outside the box - I felt as if I had seen it all before.

Secondly, I think that the villain in this movie was pretty pathetic. "Red scull", really?! You never got to know why he was THAT against the world, he was just put in the movie as an obstacle for the hero.

Thirdly, the technology was way to far developed of its time and made it all seem pretty unrealistic.

And last but not least, the ending sucked... I didn't feel as if it fitted with the plot, and instead of giving me any answers it left me with even more questions. Who found him? How could he been sleeping for 70 years? For me it seemed as the ending was made as an excuse to a new Captain America movie, which I'm perfectly fine without seeing.

A Superhero Film That Isn't Ashamed of the Hero.

Author: TheBlueSaint
31 December 2013

Most of the critical reviews of this film fault it for the very thing that makes it special. They criticize it for acting and plot when it's obvious what they really can't tolerate is the message. It's entertaining rather than dark; exciting rather than dismal and engrossing rather than self important. Unlike the common trend it portrays a hero that is self-sacrificing rather than self pitying. Who is more concerned with others than himself. This doesn't fit with the current fad for heroes who are borderline psychopaths as likely to snap and end the world as to save it. The people who hate this film are the ones who think a brooding, self hating Batman is "realistic" and avidly follow a meth-dealer's descent into violence and madness. Brave, honest and self-sacrificing don't carry the cool-cachet of brutal, psychotic and self-absorbed. This is a film with an actual hero rather than an anti-hero. Someone you wouldn't be afraid to find yourself alone with in an elevator.

For some reason actual heroes offend certain people. They claim they're not "real" enough; they don't reflect the frailty, deceit and brutality of actual people. They seem to be insulted by a portrayal of a person who is more noble than they are. Who challenges their vision that somehow we're all corrupt if you look deeply enough. They claim that the movie is clichéd; as if the lonely hero sitting sullenly gazing over the city is somehow fresh and insightful. They criticize the acting as if Chris Evans' squeaky clean Captain America is somehow more contrived than Christian Bale's neurotic Batman and Hugo Weaving's Red Skull is more over-the-top than Heath Ledger's manic Joker. They're criticizing the medium but what unnerves them is the message. I wish I understood why.

There is one other vein that runs through the critical reviews. It's too overtly American. As if that is by its very nature a flaw. They feel that Americans should forever dwell only on the mistakes of recent years and forget any achievements of the past. To begin and end all things with a spoken or unspoken apology for the very act of being American. This is as myopic as blind patriotism. There is no shame in highlighting the ideals towards which a great country should strive.

But back to the film. If you want to feel exhilarated; to feel good about being alive when you're done viewing a film; if you want a film that has humor and soul as well as violence and mayhem watch Captain America. If you want to leave a film wondering whether simply being human is somehow a burden; as if it's all just a long solemn slog unto the grave watch another, more "realistic" hero film.

In retrospect, very little worth watching

Author: Voyou Nobodysbusiness from Turkey
20 November 2013

It has only been a couple of years, and I can't recall anything from the story, except from the early part, when Cap was still a weakling. Seems like growing muscles transformed him into Captain Forgettable. Meanwhile, I still remember some arcs from the comics I read as far as decades ago, and I never really cared for that character one way or another.

I can understand good notes pouring in soon after the movie's release. Brains work that way. I can understand praise from patriotism-afflicted viewers. Spinal cords work that way. However, technically, artistically or whateverly, this film has very little to offer. From the action scenes, I can only recall that the pictures were always too dark, as dark as a low budget piece trying to hide its special effects. This is a shame considering the insane amount of money used here, and a very, very common occurrence in corporate Hollywood.

Worse yet, I didn't even remember any of the cast until IMDb refreshed my memory. To make Tommy Lee Jones forgettable is such an achievement that it should automatically grant a spot in the Grand Hall of Shame.

Captain America. Very entertaining movie.

Author: njoannen-22 from United States
16 October 2012

I recently watched Captain America on Netflix. Chris Evans was very convincing in his role as Steve Rogers aka Captain America. All of the actors and actresses were very convincing in their portrayal of their characters. The director Joe Johnson was very effective in telling the story of Captain America. His choice of lighting, camera angles, and soundtrack really set the tone of the movie. The plot of the movie was very well thought out. From beginning to end the movie was very enjoyable.If i had one complaint it would be the movie did not have enough action and drama than from what i had hoped.That's just my opinion though.. Overall this movie was enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this movie to my friends, family, and to anyone who enjoys action,romantic, and some what comedic movies.

Highly entertaining

Author: JoshSharpe from United States
22 September 2012

Have you ever dreamt of being an American hero? Steve Rodgers certainly has but he hasn't yet found much success in making his fantasy become a reality. Steve is small, weak, and awkward. He has tried to enlist in Army but has been refused. After meeting a friendly doctor who decides to give him a try, he joins the Army and soon after becomes part of an experiment to test drugs that will strengthen him and give him a better chance to be successful. While all this is going on, a madman named Schmidt is attempting to take over the world. This film, set in the 1940s, feels more like a war movie than a superhero movie. Either way however, director Joe Johnston pulls it off and does it very well. It is highly entertaining, with perfect acting, grand sets, and a first-class story. I especially liked Tommy Lee Jones' performance as the rough colonel. As it began, I was comparing the characters of Steve Rodgers and Peter Parker, from Spider-Man, who both are week and not at all hero-like but become powerful as the stories go on. However, there couldn't be a bigger difference between the two because Steve Rodgers is so much more of a stronger and likable character altogether. Although it starts out slow and some of it is a bit silly, the entire movie is a joy to watch and everything comes together in an unforgettable picture.

A helluva lot of fun

Author: Sir_Cellophane_Beak from Aukland
20 April 2012

This is a great movie, but not as good as the 1985 Bollywood version. This version is more of an CGI effects showcase movie instead of telling the story of what these gentlemen went thru to become respected saviors of nations during times of ordeal. The movie is gorgeous, and the action is well made and exciting. The MVP of the film is Cap'n, who is given some powerful lines and clearly stands out from the rest of the cast. OK, on the negative, the film is drawn out (2 hrs and 5 min is too long), the characters are made to represent some of the old common characters you have seen in countless other Marvel one-offs and Captain A.'s character is not as strong as Mr. India's (to be fair he can not turn invisible and at times it seems like he is just there). In summary, excellent film which does pay tribute to the Honorable Hero known as the Mr.India!