IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 9 of 71: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Awful movie

Author: (thulean33@gmail.com) from United States
24 October 2011

Every ridiculous cliché comes alive in this one. Utterly worthless film. Not even the acting is good. The Nazis are the big evil bad guys because they deal with mystical powers beyond the human and the shiny happy Americans are the saviours of mankind. I couldn't even finish this absolutely awful movie. Dreadfully void of any intellectual quality whatsoever. And not even the special effects are any good. I can look past the ridiculous propaganda if the action scenes and special effects are good. But not even that is good. It's just bad.

I'm sure some gung-ho Americans will think it's cinematic mastery. Anyone else with intelligence will absolutely loathe this worthless movie. You literally have to be void of any intelligence whatsoever to find merit in this movie. And I gave it a chance. I really did. But 50 minutes in I couldn't take it anymore.

I'm not sure how it's getting a 7 rating. That really compromises my faith in humanity when people in general think this movie is a 7.

Great Movie!

Author: comicguy3469 from United States
20 July 2011

I just got back from a special pre-screening (no they didn't show Avengers trailer but..) CA is awesome! I give it an 85 because there were some things they could improve on, but man was it awesome. I'd say Iron man is still #1, but CA is pretty dang close. It is par with Hulk and then comes Thor and IM 2. Yes I liked the Hulk, I couldn't figure out what fans didn't like about it, anyways another time. Great movie, I will for sure go see it again. I don't get why the critics are giving it bad reviews, I feel like they are now bias to comic book movies, or just don't understand what's going on in it. The only thing wrong with CA was that it wasn't 5 hours long, which makes sense, it was a little rushed, but whatever all the important pieces were there. It was great story telling, and man Chris Evans is Steve Rogers!!! The Red Skull was great too, an actual scary bad guy. And those of you who were worried, don't be there are Nazis and swastikas in it. It followed the comic almost perfectly, almost, you'll see what I mean, but I think for the movie universe it might just work out. The director did a perfect story telling job her, couldn't ask for anything better. I'd like to see some multiple emotional stories in a sequel as well as more bad guys. Anyways I'm pumped for Avengers (now we can see why CA is one of the greatest heroes in the Marvel Universe), and I will go see CA again tomorrow at midnight and again on Fri so hopefully I'll catch my Avengers trailer. This is one movie I don't mind paying for 2d or 3d, it's all about the story here.

this movie sucks

Author: tommaso-13482 from Firenze, ITALIA
2 March 2017

I've watched this film in a garage an hour ago, I have to say that captain America is an horrible superhero, with that stupid blue suit like a power ranger. the soundtrack isn't good with anonymous songs. dialogues are stupid. I think the only good things in this movie are action scenes and girls. i'd rather watch the real power rangers.

An Honest Review

Author: generationofswine from United States
5 November 2016

Sort of a cheap film wasn't it? OK, it cost more than anything I own and my entire bank account plus what I paid for two college degrees to make, but really, kind of a cheap film.

Yeah, it's an introductory piece, but it's also the absolute worst of the bunch.

Iron Man was a great introduction, Ant-Man, also great. Captain America: The First Avenger sort of stank.

The problem? Waaaaayyyy too much CGI here. I know it's a Super Hero film, but Cap isn't exactly Doctor Strange and the heavy use of CGI just gave it that sort of Star Wars Prequel feel to it.

Remember that part in the Phantom Menace where the Droid army faces off against the army of racist stereo-types of Jamaicans and you look at it and think: "It's so fake it looks like the stock background for Windows XP." That is sort of the feel you get when you watch Captain America: The First Avenger.

You start singing to yourself "Fake, that's fake, that's fake too. Too fake, too fake, too fake too, fake too." It's hard to have a willing suspension of disbelief when everything looks so CGI that it's unbelievable.

It's hard to create any suspense when it all feels so much like a program you figure if Cap dies he'll just use his extra life.

The good news is, the MCU learned from their mistakes on this one and the follow ups were awesome.

Drags for Certain Duration

Author: Floated2
18 January 2015

Captain America while begins. Now the image of an all-American soldier, Steve is dressed up in a star-spangled Captain America outfit and paraded around the country with dancing girls and a Hitler stand-in he repeatedly knocks down. The desire to fight for his country is still Steve's goal, however, and his rescue of friend Bucky (Sebastian Stan) and hundreds of other prisoners convinces gruff Colonel Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) that Steve will be an asset in the battle to stop emerging villain the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving). There's time for a dash of romance, of course, with Hayley Atwell's British agent Peggy Carter falling for the muscular superhero.

With its World War II setting and devilish German villains, Captain America immediately brings to mind Raiders of the Lost Ark and director Joe Johnston's earlier effort The Rocketeer. As composer Alan Silvestri does his best to emulate John Williams, the movie strains desperately to match the efforts of Steven Spielberg's Indiana Jones saga. Yet Captain America lacks the deft humor or breakneck Saturday morning serial momentum of Indy, instead delivering its outlandish premise in a dull, straight-faced and earnest manner.

for those who are looking for fun in movies

Author: dragokin
24 December 2014

I've seen Captain America: The First Avenger as the last in a string of movies based on comic books. And it was the one that prompted me to make a break from such movies.

Captain America: The First Avenger offers nothing beside CGI and action. Chris Evans' character qualifies for the ultimate dude with the body of a demigod and little brains, which seems to be the norm in such movies.

I'm not even sure what the authors' goal was apart from return on investment. I'm obviously not the right audience, but even when i watch movies for fun i expect my intelligence to be at least remotely tackled, which obviously didn't happen here.

An entertaining beginning that turned into a dull spectacle.

Author: Peter Pluymers (peterp@cyberdude.com) from Kortessem, Belgium
6 September 2014

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are, not a perfect soldier, but a good man." Since 2000 we are literally flooded with film versions of Marvel heroes. Just a small list: X-Men, Blade, Spider Man, Daredevil, The Hulk, The Punisher, Elektra, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy ... Pretty impressive. And this year there's the release of "Captain America: Winter Soldier" of which I read so many good things everywhere. In preparation for this, I had to watch the first film from "Captain America" so I'll be proper prepared.

Captain America was introduced before World War II by Marvel and was immensely popular among the American troops. That's because he fought against the Nazis, the Japanese and other enemies of the U.S. After the 2nd World War he fought against communists during the Cold War. After that he sank into oblivion but was summoned back to join "The Avengers". Unlike other Marvel superheroes he doesn't have any super powers. He just has those immense muscles to defend himself with.

This movie takes place in 1942. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) wants to join the army at all costs, to participate in defeating the Nazi regime in Europe. He is far too petite and has a whole catalog of illnesses. He is rejected while his good friend James "Bucky" Barnes (Sebastian Stan) is approved and about to leave to the front. At an exhibition Rogers attracts the attention of a certain Professor Erskine (Stanley Tucci) who makes him an offer: joining the secret project "Rebirth" where he'll receive injections and radiations with "Vita"-rays which will stabilize and activate the injected chemicals. His physical appearance changes quite dramatically. That thin, weak little boy changes into a healthy and muscular super soldier. Erskine has chosen him because he's sure that a weak person will continue to respect this gift and still will show compassion. "Because the strong man who has known power all his life, May lose respect for That power, but a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows ... compassion." But Steve Rogers is the only super soldier that mankind will know because professor Erskine is assassinated and thus the experiment can no longer be repeated.

The first half hour was funny and entertaining. The atmosphere of the 40's was beautiful integrated. A little bit sallow and with that 40's flair achieved by the costumes and decor. It really had that feeling of a pre-war film. The illusion they created seeing Chris Evans transforming from a toddler to an impressive person is wonderfully realized. Tommy Lee Jones (as the drill sergeant) and Tucci take care of some funny moments. Even the part where Captain America is used as a living billboard to attract new cannon fodder for the ongoing war, was reasonably entertaining. And then everything starts to look a bit ordinary and Captain America becomes a parody of itself. The transformation of a schmuck into an invincible someone is obviously something the audience loves to see, but the bland and cartooned second part puts a damper on that grandiose beginning.

The fight against the Nazi Johan Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) or Red Skull, who's in possession of some sort of cube from Odin (crucial in "The Avengers") which contains a super power that he wants to use to put the entire Nazi regime aside and conquer the world with, is initially enjoyable but eventually decays into a lousy action-movie. I thought it was a poor and incoherent story filled with asinine coincidences. The revue Captain America performs in, happens to move to Italy. Turns out his good friend "Bucky" is kidnapped by Red Skull and sits in the castle that the latter has taken over, to expand his organization "Hydra" and provide them with devastating weapons which work with the occult forces of the captured cube. But despite that almost invincible power, it really is a piece of cake for Captain America to sweep them together on a pile. He waltzes through it as if he is faced with an army of garden gnomes who are trying to defend themselves with tiny weapons. This really looked rather simplistic. One moment Red Skull inspects his troops and before you know it he's evacuating the castle in a panic, because Captain America came knocking on a door and a German porter on duty became acquainted with his legendary shield. The credibility of the story at that time was like the person Rogers was before he got those chemicals : weak, poor and meager. You can't call it exciting actually. And it's as predictable as the fact that Easter Monday will be this year again on a Monday.

The performances on the other hand are of an acceptable level. Chris Evans is superb as Captain America. The transformation of an insignificant schmuck into a savior and example of braveness for the American people, is simply sublime. Unfortunately his character eventually evolves into a third-rate action figure with an uninspired storyline. Tommy Lee Jones was again irresistible in a role that suits him. A humorless, moody loudmouth with a strong opinion and someone who says his unvarnished opinion. Hugo Weaving was perfect for the role as the dictatorial Nazi Schmidt and archenemy Red Skull. His grim facial features and demagogic madness made me forget to get irritated by his English with an exaggerated German accent.

But despite the fine performances, this Captain America was no more than an average action movie. No suspense and totally not impressive. Visually it didn't look that bad but the story was of a questionable level. Ultimately, it's only an introduction to the film "The Avengers." The only thing I could think of was "I hope the sequel isn't such a dull spectacle as this .....".

PS. However, I can tell you that the sequel is fantastic ...

More reviews at http://opinion-as-a-moviefreak.blogspot.be

The ultra-capable first Avenger is constructed from an Army reject.

Author: suite92 from SoCal, USA
5 July 2014

Set in 1942, first in the eastern USA, then in the European theatre of World War II, Allies versus Nazis. The scrawny and sickly Steve Rogers tries to enlist in the military so as to go to war in Europe. He gets rejected repeatedly. Dr. Erskine notices his moxie, however, and arranges for him to be inducted anyway for purposes of human experimentation. The experiment works, and the CGI Steve Rogers gets 'changed' into the real-life Chris Evans.

The opposite number to Dr. Erskine and his group is HYDRA, a Nazi group that does weapons research, among other things. HYDRA assassinates Dr. Erskine, and blows up part of his laboratory. Steve deals with the assassin successfully, and gains public notoriety. Colonel Phillips is impressed, but only mildly so. The military recruits Steve to do USO shows with female singer/dancers to sell war bonds. Steve is good at this, but it does not get him much respect.

At one point, Steve goes AWOL and brings about the liberating of 400 prisoners. Steve gets a more real wartime role, plus special equipment from Howard Stark, the predecessor of Tony Stark. Steve gains more respect with Colonel Phillips and other Allied commanders.

Steve and his personal allies take on HYDRA, which breaks away from the Nazis. How will that turn out? Will Steve stop HYDRA's direct attack on the USA?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 8/10 Well-shot for the most part, though the CGI on the early Steve Rogers was pretty bad.

Sound: 8/10 No particular problems.

Acting: 7/10 I liked Tommy Lee Jones and Stanley Tucci. Chris Evans was better by far than he was in Fantastic Four.

Screenplay: 9/10 Exposition of motivation and logical progression of plot were well-constructed for an action/scifi piece.

Disney fails again.

Author: Micah Fernandez from USA
17 June 2013

Captain America was never a really interesting superhero, but Marvel went all out in pushing boredom. Marvel seemed to care so much about the boring stuff, they forgot that it was a comic book movie. They forgot about the flare of superheroes.

If you want to see all the action in this movie, watch the trailer. The entire montage you see in the trailer is the only action in the movie, scene for scene. It was simply one of the most boring movies I have ever witnessed and is on par with the Pearl Harbor movie starring Ben Affleck. The only difference was the main character wore tights and had a fruity-looking shield.

If you like this movie simply because it has "America" in the title, your argument is invalid. No amount of pushing patriotism will make this movie good. It's like trying to argue that a brick is tasty because it is red like an apple. Marvel should have never sold out to Disney.

Making a movie for the sake of making another movie?

Author: Fifth_of_November from Canada
23 March 2013

And another Marvel fail. Captain America had a lot of potential with all the WW2 material available but they managed to make it an anonymous movie which left me indifferent.

Whenever you make a movie for the sole purpose of leading to another movie which is your bigger target, it usually calls for a poor story with little to show for, and that's what we got here.

Allow me some sarcasm first. All in all, the story revolves around Peter Parker part 2 in the 40's. He's weak and girls don't really like him. An experiment makes him stronger. Then goes against a Nazi captain who made magical weaponry with some blue cube from Thor's world (got to build the Avengers don't you). Oh and he gets his shield from Stark's father, so there you got the Iron Man link. That's about it for the story.

This being said, I did not expect much from Captain America after the Iron Man 2 disaster, and it did not beat my low expectations.

On the good side, Chris Evans does a decent job with the little depth he was given in his role, visuals are OK and immerse us into the mid 20th century (if you can ignore the lasers and magic which are really out of place) and Hayley Atwell is quite pretty in her role as Peggy Carter. And actually, Captain America himself as a character is likable; it's rather what he has to deal with which happened to be an attack on my brain.

I wish they would have gone for a more mature movie, with a more serious story revolving around the fight for freedom during WW2. But it seems Marvel is poised on targeting immature audiences, a la Michael Bay. Too bad.