IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 7 of 62: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A fun and truly stupendous movie regardless of genre!

Author: Elle from United States
31 July 2011

The depth of this movie really did surprise me. Even though the high quality of the actors involved seemed to indicate otherwise, I was expecting a lower level movie. I was wrong and I couldn't be more pleased. It's truly a stupendous movie regardless of genre.

Most Superhero comic book movies seem to share a problem in tone. Most films try to cope with wild concepts by emphasizing darkness, even over-emphasizing it. Troubled, brooding characters, black leather and anger rule the day. Here, Cap's creators mix everything so well. It leans away from dark but touches on it just enough. Maybe it's the character or maybe it's because they wanted genuinely real dialogue but the movie feels real and believable. It's truly better than most comic-book movies have ever delivered. So much of the humor works because of this and all the dramatic beats really click. Steve Rogers is so well written and displays true character establishment and development over the course of the film. Even the longing and then flirtation between Steve and Peggy has the undertow of lonely romantic longing and implications. What's also rare for any popcorn movie is that just about every scene packs real emotional weight. This is what you get when you mix fine acting talent with outstanding material. They make it shine and give you a remarkable summer movie. Oh yeah, did I mention that Cap kicks butt and is loads of fun too? That you could tell from the flood of action clips seen leading up to the movie. What was a pleasant surprise was that Captain America is a complete and very well done movie.

A Let Down

Author: michael-colan from United States
18 August 2012

Finally we have reached the end of the journey for the solo Marvel Avenger films. This is the final film before we finally get to see the Avengers (2012). The series has had many good films but some rough spots. While Iron Man (2008), Incredible Hulk (2008) have been high points in the series. Iron Man 2 (2010) however was without a doubt the worst film in the series. Still being the worst film in this series isn't still the worst movie ever. So where does this film land in this scale? Well I wish I could say that it was up there with Iron Man (2008) and Incredible Hulk (2008) but however Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) is down there with Iron Man 2 (2010). I have yet to see Thor (2011) but for now it is one of my least favorite films in the series.

The film shows Steve Rodgers wanting to serve his country proud in WWII but is deemed unfit for duty but his heart knows no bounds and wants to serve no matter what the cost. He is then chosen for a secret military project that is trying to create the ultimate super-soldier.

I would say the first half of this film works the best. The film crafts the origin story brilliantly. We really get to know Steve Rodgers and give us a reason to care about him while we learn just about everything possible. We learn about his desire to serve his country and what it means to him. Also the film does a good job with the WWII setting. The film also ties in well with the other films in the series. There are plenty of little references to the other films that fans. The villain is the Red Skull which is set up nicely throughout the film and is a villain that is underused. I am not a big believer on giving the villain a ton of screen time if it distracts from the main protagonist but the Red Skull is really underused completely.

However the film's second half falters big time. The film's story goes through some major pacing problem. The film starts to rush through the story devoting very little time to the scheme of the Red Skull which is never really explained very well either. Also the film never gives Captain America a very tough challenge. He just keeps on prancing through the film beating the crap out of whomever he faces. Not even morally and emotionally with the exception of two parts and both could have been guessed from last year. Not only was it predictable but it was devoid of really any emotion. The second half really hurts the film badly and I guess the film wasn't trying to be anything more than popcorn film but the other marvel films did have a bit more emotion and was expecting the same from this film.

Another problem is the action sequences are boring and un-exciting and stuff we have seen before. One of the problems I find with them is that Captain America doesn't really face much of a challenge at all. He throws his shield and kicks and punches people all the way to the end. It is the same thing every single time with a different setting.

Choosing director Joe Johnson was an interesting choice. I still am not convinced that he is really a capable or consistent director. To me he has been really up and down throughout him career. I enjoy his 1989 debut film "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" and his 1995 film "Jumanji." I found them fun family adventures and nothing more. Then "October Sky" in 1999 was a really well handled film but after that he goes to shaky ground. "Jurassic Park III" just kind of ruined the series in 2001. Hidalgo in 2004 was an uneven film and didn't end up being very good. I did however just plan love his "Wolfman" remake in 2010. So with 2 fun family movies, 1 really good drama, 1 great werewolf movie, and 2 bad movies what did I have to expect from this film? Well I have to say as a director his directing and camera choices might be his worst yet.

He uses a lot of quick moving zooms and pans he camera effects look terribly cheesy on screen. Even when watching the film in 2D I could clearly tell where the 3D effects were supposed to be and it looked again cheesy. The special effects used in the film except for the effects used on Chris Evens looked painfully fake and he overuses the CGI nothing looks that good. The actually look of the film is very beautiful and great to look at for that reason but really that's where it ends. The music is not memorable at all thinking about it now I can't think remember it.

The acting I have to say is pretty good though. Chris Evans is excellent as Steve Rodgers/Captain America really portrays him well. Tommy Lee Jones is above excellent as Colonel Chester Phillips. The man is so funny and is able to display leadership all at the same time. Hugo Weaving is also great as the underused villain Johann Schmidt / Red Skull. Dominic Cooper has really strong supporting as Howard Stark. And the rest of the supporting work for the most part is good too. However Hayley Atwell is incredibly wooden as Peggy Carter. It doesn't help that the fact that the romance between the Cap and her was so under developed.

The final film before The Avengers (2012) is a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong I really wanted to like this and it looked really good fun well-made adventure. However most things just seem to fall just a bit sort. I will give the sequel "Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) a chance though.

Final Score

After Steve Rogers receives an experiment on his body that makes him bigger and stronger, he must use his powers to fight the crazy and evil Red Skull; AKA, Johann Schmidt.

Author: Dragonslayer2000 from United States
2 January 2012

This was an excellent movie, very well done. I especially liked the fact that this movie had Captain America as a very good character. This movie also is good because it shows the first half of the movie well. It explained in a very well done way how Steve Rogers became Captain America. The rest of the movie is fun and action packed. Everyone who watches this will enjoy it. Despite the Red Skull's scary looks and evil deeds. I also liked this movie because it didn't completely focus on the violence, like some other super hero movies. Chris Evans and Hugo Weaving were both good actors in this motion picture, and they are so good, they will probably keep you in your seat for the entire film. This movie also attracted many people once it came out. The only thing I didn't like about the movie is the ending. Since this is not a spoiler, I will not reveal the ending. Just watch the ending, and you'll see what I mean. Three cheers for Captain America!!!

A must-see movie with plenty of action!

Author: dkent213 from United States
21 December 2011

I honestly don't understand why people are giving this movie a bad score. This movie is brilliant, the story is unique, the characters are perfect, and the stunts couldn't of been better. Captain America: The First Avenger is a seriously well made movie which deserves a lot of credit.

The actor who plays Captain America (Chris Evans), is perfect for the role. Nobody else could of done a better job, and the 1940's theme was perfect in every way that actually seemed genuine. Captain America's enemy, Red Skull (supposed to be Hitler), was very well played indeed. Very scary looking and the acting was brilliant.

This is certainly one of the best movies that I have ever seen and I recommend to all. If you love action packed movies with well known actors, and a superhero comic, you'll love this.

Wonderful, Exciting, Funny

Author: Cardrak from United States
14 January 2012

I haven't read the comic books, but I do enjoy some big-screen versions of them. This was the best action-adventure comic hero adaptation that I've seen in a long time. Evil villain, nerd becomes hero, beautiful woman, and of course, Stark Enterprises. :) Of course, it is formulaic. They handled it beautifully with just the right touches to make it real enough and funny.

Now, the shield as boomerang surprised me, not having read the comics, and I loved it eventually. Almost too exciting for my little self. It was great! Two other action/adventure movies I've seen lately are Thor (GAG GAG GAG) and Green Lantern (lots of fun). Captain American, however, shoots them both out of the water.

Retrospective Reviews- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Author: Tyree Webster (tyreeewebster@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
4 August 2011

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen. I've done it. I thought it would be impossible but I actually did it... I saw ALL 3 Marvel Hollywood Blockbusters of 2011 in cinema! And they ALL kicked major ass! So, without further a dew, let's dunk our heads into 'CAPTAIN America: THE FIRST AVENGER.'

PROS: The biggest positive aspect of this truly wonderful film is the action. There are only a few small scenes when there's no fast- paced action, but most of the time, KABOOOOM!! Something is blown up. This is one of the most action packed films I've ever seen. Another thing is the perfect cast, Chris Evans as Steve Rogers was very awesome, as he was very heroic and funny too! Hugo Weaving was cool and sinister as Red Skull, Tommy Lee Jones was awesomely awesome, I wouldn't have cast anyone else! Hayley Atwell was damn hot as Hell! And did a good acting job. The comedy was great, with a nice fun musical number that I did NOT expect! This is the 'Rambo' of Marvel films. I enjoyed Alan Silvestri's musical score, it was patriotic and enjoyable to listen to.

CONS: Nothing bothered me about this film.

This film is excellent, it is the most passionately made Marvel film since Spider- Man! Paramount Pictures takes great care in their films and I am very disappointed that they are not continuing with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as they've sold it to the Walt Disney Company, but I'm sure they'll do a great job! Forget about 'The King's Speech' and all that other bullshit, this film is the nuts and should win the Awards for 'Best Movie EVER!'

'CAPTAIN America: THE FIRST AVENGER'

Starring: Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Neal McDonough, Derek Luke and Stanley Tucci

Directed by: Joe Johnston

A VERY enjoyable film. One of the best of the year.

Author: Bam Bam from United States
23 October 2011

I'm glad to see the response to Captain America First Avenger has been, for the most part, very positive. I've noticed that sometimes expectations are unreasonable or some fans are too attached to their comic book preconceived notions. Either Cap stayed very close to its root origins or people are judging it as a film first. Whatever the reason, it seems most enjoyed it as much as I did. Visually it is a sight to behold and that goes for the special effects but also for the time period tone and war grit of the film itself. Every scene was captivating, whether it was full on "Raider of the Lost Ark" action or the developmental down time. Isn't that what movies are suppose to be about?

And here I thought Iron Man or X-Men raised the bar in terms of what we could expect from modern adaptations. While true, what's remarkable is that Captain America raises the bar on what we can expect from a blockbuster in general. It's certainly not just eye candy; it's an all around exceptional movie. Thor and First Class were on the top of their game earlier this year and yet maybe Cap has succeeded in topping them both. What a great year for action adventure films!

The story of one of the greatest comic book icons Marvel's Captain America.

Author: jtmytake3 from United Kingdom
22 August 2011

The First Avenger is finally with us, the superhero that embodies the American spirit and what it truly means to be a hero explodes onto the big screen in brilliant colour. The story of ninety pound asthmatic weakling Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) who is so desperate to do his bit in the war against fascism that he submits himself to Dr Erskine's (Stanley Tucci) experiment to create the perfect human. Instantaneously Rogers becomes a poster boy for the Second World War and puts on about eighty pounds, he now runs faster and is stronger than any other human on Earth. But he is not alone in his abilities and he soon finds himself embroiled in the war he was so desperate to be a part in. Can the kid from Brooklyn be the hero his larger than life heart preordains him to be? If you're expecting this movie to be full of gross Americanisms and lots of flying the flag basically the ultimate U.S. propaganda spectacle and admittedly there is much that would appease the American sensibility. But this is a story about one man and his heart and courage of epic proportions, man with a propensity for good and fighting for the good of the common man. This has always been Marvel's answer to DC Comics man of steel Superman and by way of adaptation alone they have beaten Superman's most recent reboot. Joe Johnson has expertly captured that bygone era of periodic Saturday matinée serials and when you look at his resume you can see why he was chosen to depict the story of one of America's most famous sons.

The acting from the lead is again surprising; Chris Evans has previously played roles full of testosterone and ego but here skilfully balances a man full of humility and guts the size of a nation. His interpretation of the star spangled man of might accurately pays homage to a hero forgotten in recent years with the onslaught of comic book characters. Hugo Weaving is suitably maniacal as Johan Schmidt aka Red Skull and Tucci is excellent as the man of great wisdom and knowledge tasked with creating a new weapon against the rising tyranny of Nazi Germany. Mr Johnson has struck a great chord with the special effects which never overtake the telling of the story but instead are skilfully used to enhance the story. If Mr Snyder wants a tip on how to bring great power and heroism to the screen he wouldn't go wrong in watching this adaptation, one only hopes that the impending Avengers can continue in this vein. Captain America receives 3 ½ out of 5 and is in cinemas now.

Captain America: The First Avenger is Marvel's Best Yet

Author: David McVay from Australia
27 July 2011

Of all the Marvel comic adaptations, I most worried about Captain America because this is a hard comic to adapt. Steve Rogers AKA Captain America is essentially a flag waving, patriotic boy scout and that works in printed form but could end up being a cheesy corn dog on screen. True "Thor" is about an Asgardian thunder god but at it's core it is essentially a fantasy film and we have done that before, so I had a lot of trust that it would work. Captain America however is rooted in the real world and it would be really easy to make this a nauseatingly patriotic Michael Bay movie.

So this brings us to "Captain America: The First Avenger", the latest in the current series of Marvel films that lead into next year's "The Avengers". Did director Joe Johnston ("Jumanji" & "The Rocketeer") manage to bring Captain Steve Rogers to the big screen successfully? The answer is simple, yes he absolutely did. Johnston and his writers, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, have found the balance to bring Cap to life and one of the prime reasons this works so well was the decision to take the character back to his origins and set it in the World War II era. It would have been easy for the filmmakers to have a short World War II intro and then bring Cap into the modern world like the 1990 Albert Pyun version but we probably would have ended up with a similar mess.

The 1940's wartime era plays into that patriotic symbol theme that is vital for Captain America to work. Today it would have seemed tacky to send Captain America to Iraq or Afghanistan. The World War II setting offers Captain America a chance to be a real war hero, in a time when war heroes were celebrated, and to fight a clearly defined, evil enemy that everyone recognizes as a threat. Smart move Marvel Pictures.

The story of "Captain America: The First Avenger" is simple and for anyone who has ever read a Captain America comic, instantly recognisable. Week, puny Steve Rogers wants to join the army and fight for America. What he lacks in body size or health he makes up with bravery, heart and a solid moral code. When asked if he wants to kill Nazis, he answers that he doesn't want to kill anyone, he just hates bullies. After being rejected over and over again he is finally spotted by a scientist who is working on the super soldier program. The scientist, Dr. Abraham Erskine (played brilliantly by Stanley Tucci), recognises that Rogers has the right stuff for his program. A quick experiment later and wimpy Steve Rogers is turned into the super buff super soldier.

Let me just take a moment to say how much I loved Chris Evans in this film. Evans has always played brash and cocky characters. Take a look at "Scott Pilgrim Saves the World" or the "Fantastic Four" films for examples. We loved him in those roles to be sure, but Steve Rogers allows him to play a really humble, polite and sweet character and even after his transformation, he retains that pure and humble spirit. He may have superpowers but he really is just a kid from Brooklyn. While other superheroes are dark, brooding and full of doubt and/or pain, Captain America is like a breath of fresh air, he is brave and bright. He wants to be a superhero to do good, simple as that.

Okay, back to the film. After a minor action scene, Rogers becomes really popular in the USO circuit selling war bonds as Captain America, cheesy costume and all. It is when his best friend Bucky (Sebastian Stan) goes MIA that Steve Rogers jumps to action and the real Captain America is born. With a new costume, super shield and a crack team of commandos at his disposal, Captain America sets about systematically dismantling Hydra, the super evil science division of the Nazis led by Germany's own super soldier, the evil Red Skull.

Hugo Weaving's scenery chewing performance as the Red Skull is brilliant and he often steals the film. In fact the performances by the entire supporting cast are rock solid and this helps Evans sell the more fantastical aspects of the film. Along with the already mentioned Tucci, Weaving and Stan is the ever reliable Tommy Lee Jones as Col. Chester Phillips (Cap's superior officer) and Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark (yes, Iron Man's dad). But I have to give special mention to Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, Steve Roger's love interest. Atwell is not only physically beautiful but she also has guts and can hold her own with the boys. I found the mutual attraction between Rogers and Carter pitch perfect and I think it is one of the most successful love stories in the Marvel films yet. She is a star in the making and I look forward to her future career.

So far I have gushed and to be fair I must point out that the film's third act does have a minor logic flaw, but in the great scheme of things it doesn't take away the sheer pleasure of watching this film. I found that I had a smile on my face from beginning to end.

"Captain America: The First Avenger" proves again that Marvel knows how to bring their heroes to the big screen like no other company can. It is simply the best Marvel superhero film yet and Chris Evans IS Captain America. I can't wait to see "The Avengers" in 2012.

Oh, and one last note: stay to the end of the credits for the most satisfying post credit sequence to date.

I originally posted this review on my site http://geekactually.com

From Comic Book to Screen, this one is a winner!

Author: nettminder from USA
23 July 2011

The Marvel character movies have been a mixed bag. I know when a film is being produced and directed by people outside the comics industry that some things are lost in translation and some things are changed simply so the director can put their individual mark on it. Up until last month, Iron Man was the best movie to capture the main idea of the character and story, in my opinion. Iron Man was a very true to the mythos and great to watch. Captain America is better and that is not taking anything away from Iron Man. Yes, still some aspects of the story was changed, but I felt this was a great translation that captured and added to Captain America. They handled the background story and cast of characters with intelligence. I think the original intent of Captain America's creator comes through and what his values were. They did a great job with Steve Rogers pre-super soldier serum with the visual effects. The plot was very good and moved along well developing the story. I do not even remember any bad language at all which is rare these days. If you like super heroes and want to be entertained for two hours then this movie will do it.