IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 7 of 66: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Fantastic Family Film

Author: mypoint99 from United States
3 August 2011

Just saw Captain America a second time today. Loved it just as much the second time around. This is not a film I would have chosen to go see - not my favorite genre - but my kids were dying to see it. After having had to deny them the opportunity to see several other superhero films due to the film ratings for language, sex, and violence, I was wary of this film. I knew nothing about Captain America whatsoever. So I did my typical research, determined the film passed my test as far as I could tell (never know with ratings these days), and I went to the theater hoping I would not be disappointed. I wasn't. My kids thought the the movie was fantastic, and I loved it as well, especially since it was free of the cheap raunchiness that afflicts so many movies these days. A great storyline, wonderful recreation of the 1940s, honorable characters, fun humor, nice cast of talented actors. Overall, a truly enjoyable film that was both exciting and uplifting, with - finally! - some great moral lessons and some patriotism (that was refreshing in this day and age.) Thanks to Marvel and the actors for giving my family and I a great family film we could enjoy together. We might even go see it a third time.

Chix Chat on Film review: Stephen Rogers becomes Captain America

Author: Emma Dinkins (emmadinkins@chixchatonfilm.com) from Texas, United States
26 July 2011

I was getting a bit weary of the Marvel super hero stories, but I understand that it is a necessity to introduce this younger movie going generation to them, in anticipation of the upcoming Avengers. To my surprise the film Captain America: The First Avenger was actually quite good. I love the Where's Waldo Stan Lee game we play with each of these Marvel movies. I believe that Mr. Lee has had a cameo in all the films, which is a really nice touch to honor the creator of all these rich comic book characters. I thought from the trailer that this would be another World War II movie, with a twist to the Nazi story, delving into a more colorful fantasy than what was the horrific reality of that war. In fact this film, in telling the Stephen Rogers (Chris Evans) back story gives us a really cool look at the fifties attire, automobiles and how the general public was entertained. We see that the senior Stark, Howard (Dominic Cooper) is a bit of a showoff, like father like son and a technological genius, again like father like son, so some of the weaponry as seen in the Iron Man films when Stark junior has taken over is way more advanced than at all possible. But all the weapons and visuals had a very authentic historical look about them. The one thing that I noticed that was a complete deviation from true history, was that no one in the entire film was shown smoking. We see smoking guns, smoking trains, smoking buildings, but not a single solitary smoking person. In the Fifties EVERYBODY, not just everything smoked. It was amusing to me whenever Colonel Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) addressed anyone, I kept thinking Agent K, has used an alien time travel machine and came to WWII to command. And speaking of agents, I am always in favor of a strong female role. Agent Carter (Hayley Atwell) was truly a bright spot in this film, I wanted to see more of a progression of her relationship with Captain America, but there's just never enough time. The special effects were palpable, the pace of the story kept my interest and the warring elements were not so graphic that I was flinching at gore. All in all it was a good action adventure and gets us one step closer to the Avengers. I give it a green light. - Emma Dinkins

The beloved comic book character gets the rendition it deserves

Author: Helgi Jonsson from Iceland
3 August 2011

After creating several other Avengers movies, such as The Hulk, Iron Man and Thor, it was finally time for creating a film about the beloved action hero, Captain America. And this one does not disappoint. We see the story of Steve Rogers, who has been constantly rejected by the army, finally getting the chance he deserves. I have to say, Chris Evans's leading performance is rock-solid, and the performances by Hayley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving are no disappointment either. The entire film's production is top-notch, ranging from excellent sound design to eye- popping visuals, to a solid film score by Alan Silvestri. Some of the action sequences feel a bit too comic book-ish in my opinion though, and at some point you feel like you're watching a trailer rather than an actual movie. But, nonetheless, at other times they are brilliantly executed and I have nothing to complain about. The driving force of this movie is not delivered trough action or CGI though, but trough the emotional connection between the characters, especially the one between Steve and Bucky, his friend. Anyway, I won't be spoiling anything, overall it's a very solid, humorous and action-packed superhero movie, and it's one of the best Marvel movies to date. It was a pleasant surprise, and is definitely worth the ticket.

I knew Cap wouldn't let me down.

Author: ticket_for_one from United Kingdom
4 August 2011

I knew Cap wouldn't let me down. Marvel has done it again with their latest superhero offering. Captain America is one of the best films I've seen this year. Along with Thor it's one of the best comic book movies to come out this century. Seriously I really loved this film. What Marvel have done with whole Avengers story tie in is brilliant! Just like the comics, if you haven't watched any of the other Avenger movies, you won't necessarily be lost, but you'd have a better idea of what's happening and what's about to happen if you have. Chris Evans does a great job at playing Cap. In fact it's a very human portrayal of the superhero. Not only was he physically up for the role, but he also did a good job of handling the emotional scenes. Evans has always been a capable actor and he's much more likable than the unfunny Ryan Reynolds. There were questions about his involvement in this movie because he recently played Johnny Storm in Fantastic Four movies. But seeing how Marvel has killed off Johnny Storm it only makes sense to play this character. He's an actor I'll continue to lookout for. Supporting cast was perfect. Tommy Lee Jones hardly ever puts a foot wrong and was great as the grumpy but funny colonel, Toby Stephens does a great job, Dominic Cooper whose becoming one of favourite British actors does a fine job as Howard Stark. Shall I go on? Stanley Tucci just goes from strength to strength with every role. A character actor, who can do anything and play anyone, he was also great as the doctor who administers the Super Serum to Steve Rodgers for him to become Captain America. For Hugo Weaving it was business as usual. The man knows how to play the villain and does (you guessed it) a great job as Red Skull. Even Hayley Atwell whose been targeted as the weak performer in this, does a job here. Neal McDonough, Derek Luke and Sebastian Stan also offer reliable support. So as you can see I have no problems with the performances. Great set pieces, which include good old solid fisticuffs fight between Cap and Red Skull at the end. Explosions, lots of them. Gun fights and motorcycle chases. All of which are well filmed and well choreographed. Great story and plot give this film an Indiana Jones feel. Watch the beginning and you'll think Raiders, for sure! The special effects used to make Chris Evans smaller were brilliant. At times I honest thought he'd lost weight and shrunk in size. Joe Johnston has redeemed himself after the dreaded Wolfman and has given us the same kind of adventure and cinematography he showed us in movies like Rocketeer and Hidalgo. Yes, this is a good movie! Is it perfect? No?

Only problems I had are nitpick things. It would've been nice to see Cap being trained as a soldier after he received his abilities. In saying that we are never fully told what Cap was capable of. In saying that, in some scenes he makes it evident, that his physical attributes are enhanced to peak of human potential. So says Wikipedia. Scenes drag in places but not for long. Visual effects looked choppy but only in some scenes. Other than that, I had no other problems with the film.

Uniform looked great, visually 1940's New York looks brilliant and the story ties in nicely with the Avengers movie.

All in all it?M)s a great film and I'd definitely go and see it again. Worth the release and a DVD/Blu-Ray purchase.

A fun and truly stupendous movie regardless of genre!

Author: Elle from United States
31 July 2011

The depth of this movie really did surprise me. Even though the high quality of the actors involved seemed to indicate otherwise, I was expecting a lower level movie. I was wrong and I couldn't be more pleased. It's truly a stupendous movie regardless of genre.

Most Superhero comic book movies seem to share a problem in tone. Most films try to cope with wild concepts by emphasizing darkness, even over-emphasizing it. Troubled, brooding characters, black leather and anger rule the day. Here, Cap's creators mix everything so well. It leans away from dark but touches on it just enough. Maybe it's the character or maybe it's because they wanted genuinely real dialogue but the movie feels real and believable. It's truly better than most comic-book movies have ever delivered. So much of the humor works because of this and all the dramatic beats really click. Steve Rogers is so well written and displays true character establishment and development over the course of the film. Even the longing and then flirtation between Steve and Peggy has the undertow of lonely romantic longing and implications. What's also rare for any popcorn movie is that just about every scene packs real emotional weight. This is what you get when you mix fine acting talent with outstanding material. They make it shine and give you a remarkable summer movie. Oh yeah, did I mention that Cap kicks butt and is loads of fun too? That you could tell from the flood of action clips seen leading up to the movie. What was a pleasant surprise was that Captain America is a complete and very well done movie.

A frozen super hero

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
27 April 2014

The story takes place at world war two. A small man, Stan, is desperate to get into the American army. However he is rejected, until a doctor enrolls him for an experiment that will create a super soldier. Stan passes the test and becomes Captain America. With his new powers he arrives at Europe to confront the leader of a dangerous organization who is planing to destroy the earth starting from America. The movie has a lots of action scenes, that are very entertaining and will definitely satisfy a fan of the marvel movies. The ending is unpredictable for a action film, but the director prepares the audience from the first scene of what we should expect to happen. The romance is developing but not completed between Stan and Peggy, something that is not a disadvantage of the film. The soundtrack however wasn't very good for me. So 5 out of 10 because the story seemed too short, but it was enjoyable.

Evil power cube?

Author: brandonsullivan91 from United States
8 May 2012

Captain America is a standard comic book hero movie. This is the Genesis of Captain America. We follow the scrawny patriot Steve Rogers in events that lead to his transformation into Captain America. Wonderful message that love for others and self-sacrifice is what truly makes a hero.

I am not a comic book follower so I didn't really understand the evil power cube thing, which was breezed over in the movie. I also failed to understand why the Red Skeleton had a stick up his butt and wanted to destroy the world. I would have liked a motive, but it's a comic book story so I understand that characters are allowed to be flat and one dimensional.

It's an alright movie, fun to watch on a summer night, turn your brain off, eat popcorn, watch explosions, but not something that I have any desire to watch again or own.

Words cannot describe how amazing i think this movie is (my first review)

Author: hatthway2251
12 July 2012

The movie is set in 1941 when Johann Schmidt steals the jewel of Odets treasure. Steve Rogers is a normal guy trying out for war but because of his puny figure he does not get accepted until Dr. Erksine realizes that he has great potential. When Steve Rogers finally gets accepted he becomes an experiment so that Steve can achieve maximum human potential. What is so great about the movie is that Steve Rogers never gave up on his dream to serve his country, even after being on stage and earning his name "Captain America." For me there is not enough words to explain how amazing this movie is!

I know people might think that I am totally crazy when I say that I am an absolutely massive fan of Captain America, in my eyes I am his biggest fan. He is so honorable and brave. Captain America's costume is SOOOOOOO COOL, not to mention the shield which i am in love with. People are gonna say to me, it's only because you love Captain America that this movie is your favorite,but i don't care because i know that's not true.

In the movie, the acting was to an absolutely amazing standard. The actors and the characters were so perfect and meant to be. Chris Evans was PERFECT for the roll of Steve Rogers, Chris Evans is an amazing actor and I would give anything to meet him and hand out for a while.

At the moment Captain America: the First Avenger is my favorite movie because of too many reasons I can't explain all of them. There's the acting, the characters, the costumes, the story line, e.c.t.

I am a massive fan of MARVEL comics, movies and EVERYTHING! I have seen Iron man 1 and 2, bits and pieces of both the Hulks, Thor, The Avengers and of course this movie and they were all great bot there's no doubt that Captain America: the First Avenger is the best out of all of them!

This review probably wasn't that great because it was my first, but thanks for reading!!!

Thumbs up my brotherend!

Author: meyoukangaroo from Australia
10 March 2012

I'd admit it, I had watched it a bit late, but this is by the far, next to Tower Heist in recent movies, as the better ones of cinema now. This is a pinnacle of the right medium thrown across the face of the expected general bland that is Hollywood entertainment at this point; where the biggest movie stars perform in mediocre films, and everything seems to be contemporary, stupid or depressing. But once in a while, someone a director or and actor or a writer comes a long, to reinstate at least some hope back in all that bland unoriginal theme, and in the right way. Captain America was a homage to the comic series, it was great, it had plenty of actions and even though it kept that relevantly typical marvel comic build like that of Spiderman where something extraordinary happens, it was made in the most rationalized means, and fitted into a nice framework of creativity and originality. That's the word - originality and ingenuity, - you don't get that often in Hollywood now- a-days, and this really slapped it on like well ridden material. A true homage, and even though my "fellow" viewers found it a bit "unrealistic" and the humor "obvious/offbeat comic-relief" they don't know what the movie competitors are, to truly know how much other movies now a days are off beat in humor and "weird", my fellow viewers are insane, and don't know what they're talking about. There were no boring bits, and it was funny and quirky all the way. And most of all it was GENUINE, - weirdness and offbeat humor are made splendid when like in the movie where the main character learns from the scientist that value of strength is what's important, - this movie shows how the value of the genuine is important, and that can triumph over occasional unrealistic marvel aspects and offbeat humour (if any) any time of any day in this current movie industry.

most boring ever

Author: didgee7 from Hungary
26 April 2012

Im just watching this movie and Im so bored I chose to write this review to help raise awareness about how bad this movie is and boring and boring and BORING!!...........pf.........Its impossible to understand for me how they can spend 140.000.000.dollars and eventually waste it all and then give hope for us and cause disappointment not that I was expecting much after all that bad reviews and watching it on sky (its on every day now)little bits and pieces so I had glimpses before and had the feeling its gonna be boring and no surprises on that one ....IT IS SO BBBBBBBBBooOOOOOOORRrrrrRRinggggggggggg..............that I cant finish this movie..this review is boring???????watch the movie then you'll understand.........