IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 6 of 66: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A fun and truly stupendous movie regardless of genre!

Author: Elle from United States
31 July 2011

The depth of this movie really did surprise me. Even though the high quality of the actors involved seemed to indicate otherwise, I was expecting a lower level movie. I was wrong and I couldn't be more pleased. It's truly a stupendous movie regardless of genre.

Most Superhero comic book movies seem to share a problem in tone. Most films try to cope with wild concepts by emphasizing darkness, even over-emphasizing it. Troubled, brooding characters, black leather and anger rule the day. Here, Cap's creators mix everything so well. It leans away from dark but touches on it just enough. Maybe it's the character or maybe it's because they wanted genuinely real dialogue but the movie feels real and believable. It's truly better than most comic-book movies have ever delivered. So much of the humor works because of this and all the dramatic beats really click. Steve Rogers is so well written and displays true character establishment and development over the course of the film. Even the longing and then flirtation between Steve and Peggy has the undertow of lonely romantic longing and implications. What's also rare for any popcorn movie is that just about every scene packs real emotional weight. This is what you get when you mix fine acting talent with outstanding material. They make it shine and give you a remarkable summer movie. Oh yeah, did I mention that Cap kicks butt and is loads of fun too? That you could tell from the flood of action clips seen leading up to the movie. What was a pleasant surprise was that Captain America is a complete and very well done movie.

A Child's Dream on the Screen

Author: jeldridge-28771 from Illinois
31 July 2015

I will definitely say that this is another film that I feel distinct honor and pleasure in reviewing. I've been a Marvel fan since I was a kid. Sure, I had my Batman bout (with a little RoboCop and Power Rangers thrown into the mix); but, for the most part, I've always been a Captain America fan.

After the poor reception (which was grossly undeserved) for Albert Pyun's vision of Captain American (1991), along with the independently produced adaption of "The Punisher" (1989) starring Dolph Lundgren, the Marvel superhero film just didn't catch wind in their sails. It was not until Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man" (2002) that Marvel finally had a hit. Of course, what could Marvel Studios follow up with other than one of the most iconic superheros in the history of comic books?

(Note: I'm not taking anything away from "Daredevil." But, the lack of vision from the production company, along with its PG-13 rating, killed any chance of that film being a success. As great of a film that it was, I don't believe that it was Ben Affleck that killed Daredevil. But, that's another review...)

This was a long time coming for a fan like me. I was deployed overseas when I heard that the film was coming out and I was excited, but also apprehensive. I was honestly afraid that it would be botched or not live up to what I felt and saw as a child reading Captain America comics.

Boy, was I wrong...

Chris Evans did a masterful job as Steve Rogers / Captain America, and the introduction of Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith from "The Matrix" trilogy) was the icing on the cake with his great acting ability as Red Skull. Set during World War II, a frail Steve Rogers has attempted to join the Army to fight for his country and for what was right. After being rejected by every recruiting station, he was finally recruited into a training program to select America's Super- Soldier. Tommy Lee Jones ("Men in Black") is LTC Chester Phillips, the battalion commander of the super-soldier unit; and he attempts everything in his disposal to weed out Rogers. It's his heart and determination that gets him to the final stage of the training: transformation into the super- soldier.

To me, the film is masterfully done. The acting was right, the special effects were superb, and it was released in the best time. In a post-9/11 world, America NEEDED Captain America. As a veteran myself, I identify with Captain America: a man who attempts to do the right thing, no matter the cost; a man who stands up for his country against any adversary, even those right next to him; and a man who keeps his moral integrity, even when the odds are against him. That seems like a recruiting poster in itself, but that's the creed that military personnel live by and thus, what Captain America lives by.

As a fan and as a veteran, I can't think of any better representation of what America should stand for than Captain America. Some of what he believes is lost in this new century. The advent of technology and weaponry that was vastly different than what he knew of during WWII is awe-filling and frightening at the same time. However, no matter the cost, he fights on against those who threaten the country he loves so dearly.

As a comic fan and a veteran, if you love fun and love to see a patriotic film that has the great mix of action and superheros, please watch Captain America. This was the film that made me remember why I enlisted and why I love this great country. In addition, it made me finally proud to be a comic book fan.

Better than expected

Author: itamarscomix from Israel
2 October 2012

It's kinda hard, when watching Captain America, to forget that it's intended mostly as a prelude to the far superior The Avengers; Captain America exists mostly to introduce the character and do away with his origin story. The sub-header "The First Avenger" certainly doesn't help to relieve the feeling that this film just wasn't meant to stand in its own right.

But surprisingly enough, director Joe Johnston managed to turn a sparse script about an anachronistic and old-fashioned character into a well-paced, even entertaining film. It's not as entertaining or as energetic as The Avengers or the Iron Man movies; Captain America's style is in accordance with its World War II setting. Johnston embraces the anachronistic idealism and patriotism of the character, but never to the point that it feels camp. The film feels like it takes place in the 40's, but it doesn't feel like a pastiche or a period piece, which would have made the transition into The Avengers jarring and painful. It feels like it's part of the Marvel universe, but it also has its own unique feel (something which Thor and The Incredible Hulk, sadly, cannot say).

It's still not quite a stand-alone film - not like Iron Man. It shows more than any other Marvel film so far the flaws in creating this elaborate shared universe of characters. It's especially clear in the under-utilization of the villain character, the Red Skull, who promises to be an interesting and mysterious character but gets far too little screen-time, which is all spent on the good Captain's origin story. That story leaves very little room for the film to have any of its own plot. But it has its own atmosphere, it has heart and a sense of humor and an anachronistic, idealistic but very likable hero.

Words cannot describe how amazing i think this movie is (my first review)

Author: hatthway2251
12 July 2012

The movie is set in 1941 when Johann Schmidt steals the jewel of Odets treasure. Steve Rogers is a normal guy trying out for war but because of his puny figure he does not get accepted until Dr. Erksine realizes that he has great potential. When Steve Rogers finally gets accepted he becomes an experiment so that Steve can achieve maximum human potential. What is so great about the movie is that Steve Rogers never gave up on his dream to serve his country, even after being on stage and earning his name "Captain America." For me there is not enough words to explain how amazing this movie is!

I know people might think that I am totally crazy when I say that I am an absolutely massive fan of Captain America, in my eyes I am his biggest fan. He is so honorable and brave. Captain America's costume is SOOOOOOO COOL, not to mention the shield which i am in love with. People are gonna say to me, it's only because you love Captain America that this movie is your favorite,but i don't care because i know that's not true.

In the movie, the acting was to an absolutely amazing standard. The actors and the characters were so perfect and meant to be. Chris Evans was PERFECT for the roll of Steve Rogers, Chris Evans is an amazing actor and I would give anything to meet him and hand out for a while.

At the moment Captain America: the First Avenger is my favorite movie because of too many reasons I can't explain all of them. There's the acting, the characters, the costumes, the story line, e.c.t.

I am a massive fan of MARVEL comics, movies and EVERYTHING! I have seen Iron man 1 and 2, bits and pieces of both the Hulks, Thor, The Avengers and of course this movie and they were all great bot there's no doubt that Captain America: the First Avenger is the best out of all of them!

This review probably wasn't that great because it was my first, but thanks for reading!!!

Eye-catching sets, a highly watchable cast, and a brisk action-packed story make this film a treat.

Author: I B from Mars
24 December 2012

The film that could have been one of the worst by Marvel Studios instead turned out to be one of the best. Captain America: The First Avenger gets everything right, but the studio hasn't really released a bad film yet. Chris Evans as Steve Rogers is pretty much perfect here. He's believable as someone who goes through a big transformation, but more importantly he's believable as a righteous sickly young man who wants to serve his country. He's transformed into the super soldier Captain America, and he gets a good-looking costume which looks perfect for its era. The 1940s in this film is an optimistic retro-futuristic time that's important in world history. Director Joe Johnston (The Rocketeer, Jumanji) captured that era very well. The talented supporting cast includes Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper and Stanley Tucci. Jones is great as usual in the role of Colonel Chester Phillips. Tucci gives an interesting performance as the deeply humanistic Dr. Abraham Erskine. And Atwell as the tough Peggy Carter looks just like one of those pin-up girls of the 1940s. Captain America: The First Avenger is an action-packed summer blockbuster, so there isn't a dull moment. One of the highlights is a motorcycle chase reminiscent of the one in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (1989). But there's still a good deal of drama, and the film takes an honest look at its hero. Even though the Nazis, or more precisely the terrorist organization HYDRA, have things like laser weapons this still seems perfectly believable. Some people might interpret the film as a piece of American propaganda, but I don't care because it's an exuberant great-looking superhero film. For some reason Captain America has always been one of my favorite superheroes (maybe it's the cool costume and shield), and I'm glad that now there's finally a good film about him. In conclusion, Johnston and cinematographer Shelly Johnson crafted a satisfying colorful adventure film. I recommend seeing it.

After Steve Rogers receives an experiment on his body that makes him bigger and stronger, he must use his powers to fight the crazy and evil Red Skull; AKA, Johann Schmidt.

Author: Dragonslayer2000 from United States
2 January 2012

This was an excellent movie, very well done. I especially liked the fact that this movie had Captain America as a very good character. This movie also is good because it shows the first half of the movie well. It explained in a very well done way how Steve Rogers became Captain America. The rest of the movie is fun and action packed. Everyone who watches this will enjoy it. Despite the Red Skull's scary looks and evil deeds. I also liked this movie because it didn't completely focus on the violence, like some other super hero movies. Chris Evans and Hugo Weaving were both good actors in this motion picture, and they are so good, they will probably keep you in your seat for the entire film. This movie also attracted many people once it came out. The only thing I didn't like about the movie is the ending. Since this is not a spoiler, I will not reveal the ending. Just watch the ending, and you'll see what I mean. Three cheers for Captain America!!!

Underrated - Great Action Adventure Movie

Author: sadenoo from United States
6 December 2011

I did not know what to expect when I purchased this movie. This is a very positive and uplifting film. Not a "Chick Flick" a great "Guy" movie. This movie is an inspiration for those males of all ages, a story for those that had to struggle with their lack of physical ability, There is hope for us. Experience has shown me that when a movie is made about a Comic Book Hero, the hero comes across pretty "Comic" and unbelievable. Having read these books in my youth, I was looking forward to see what they would do with it. I was very pleased that they did not try to inject an anti USA message here. This is a Good vs. Evil story as most comic books were. Having Tommy Lee Jones, and Hugo Weaving who brought their professionalism to this production certainly made the difference. Different film editing would have made this an Oscar contender for sure is the only weak point I could find. This film coming out when the "Super Soldier" programs that various governments are working on makes it timely and more believable. The Special Effects are not overdone they work well with the story and are done is such a way that enhances the story without taking it over to make up for a weak script or acting, not the case here. Very well done. Chris Evans did a wonderful job, and I look forward to more from him. The director Joe Johnson did an outstanding job with the screenplay. I look forward to see what comes next.

Wonderful, Exciting, Funny

Author: Cardrak from United States
14 January 2012

I haven't read the comic books, but I do enjoy some big-screen versions of them. This was the best action-adventure comic hero adaptation that I've seen in a long time. Evil villain, nerd becomes hero, beautiful woman, and of course, Stark Enterprises. :) Of course, it is formulaic. They handled it beautifully with just the right touches to make it real enough and funny.

Now, the shield as boomerang surprised me, not having read the comics, and I loved it eventually. Almost too exciting for my little self. It was great! Two other action/adventure movies I've seen lately are Thor (GAG GAG GAG) and Green Lantern (lots of fun). Captain American, however, shoots them both out of the water.

Final preparation, class, for "The Avengers"

Author: Harry T. Yung ( from Hong Kong
11 September 2011

After "Hulk", "Iron Man" and "Thor", this one is obviously a must-see as a pre-requisite to next year's major movie event: The Avengers. In what generally acknowledged as a more "human" story, the plot line follows the determined quest of titular protagonist Steve Rogers, a 90-pound weakling (miraculous CGI work on 6-foot Chris Evans) with Hercules-size heart and will-power, to get into the U.S. Army to serve his country in WW II. By a stroke of luck, his dream is fulfilled when he is chosen as an object of a scientific experiment through which he is transformed into not quite Superman, but certainly a man with above-human physical capabilities. Ironically, the ultimate role of this Captain America, as conceived by the authorities, is a "chorus girl" in a public relations and morale boosting road show. To cut a long story short, he finally achieves his goal, culminating in an epic dual with nemesis Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving), a German megalomaniac who seeks first to replace Hitler, then to rule the world. As expected, our hero wins, but not without cost. While fortunate to escape almost certain death, he ends up in a coma, only to wake up 70 years later, to find that he has missed a date with his love interest Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), British military agent with a face of an angel, fists of steel, and a heart that appears to be of the same stuff but actually has a soft spot in it. The cast is impressive. Evans handles well this meatier role after trivial pursuits like Human Torch. Those who ever doubt Atwell's acting ability show see "Brideshead revisited" (2008). Weaving appears in the first half of the movie in his familiar persona and look, and in the second half, while with persona intact, transforms into the hideous "Red Skull". Tommy Lee Jones, looking a little like Bob DeNiro, serves well as the typical army man. Stanley Tucci has a cameo-type appearance as the scientist who discovers Rogers. And there is of course Samuel L. Jackson who appears in his now customary Nick Fury cameo, linking all the component movies of "The Avengers".

4F Afterall....A Fine Fantastically Fun Film

Author: John_T_Chance from The Attic
29 August 2011

The humor, angst and drama are remarkable for a superhero flick. I can't think of a weak moment in the film, as it is strong from beginning to end. Anyone doubting Chris Evans in the role need worry no more. He's Oscar caliber good in this movie. His amazing performance is aided by what can only be called an amazing CG transformation. In this case, it's pre-transformation. Everyone is perfectly cast and perfect in their roles. Hugo gives one of the greatest villain portrayals in modern cinema history.

This easily fulfilled and the exceeded all of my expectations. I can't wait for a solo sequel even though it will be cool to see Cap in Avengers. I like how they handled the modern era and depression era stuff. This really is everything anyone would want in a movie. I know it's everything I had hoped to see.

Captain America is pure fun, a perfect mix of old school dazzle and good old-fashioned charisma. Marvel-ous!