IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 5 of 66: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Author: sasaiscoming from India
2 August 2011

If u want to see a period picture then you should try something genuine not this half baked goof....there are loads of period pictures for that matter,what this movie was supposed to do was entertain and it falls very short of that.........what it uses as an excuse for lack of action is it's American propaganda and jingoistic nonsense ,while for that matter even that is not properly served as all you would hear in the movie is "hail hydra" a fictional setting not doing justice to the soldiers who fought against Hitler not some hydra-whatever-we-don't-care,funny thing you can't even blame the directors for that,it's just that it's based on one of the most boring and creatively-barren comic book character .

A must-see movie with plenty of action!

Author: dkent213 from United States
21 December 2011

I honestly don't understand why people are giving this movie a bad score. This movie is brilliant, the story is unique, the characters are perfect, and the stunts couldn't of been better. Captain America: The First Avenger is a seriously well made movie which deserves a lot of credit.

The actor who plays Captain America (Chris Evans), is perfect for the role. Nobody else could of done a better job, and the 1940's theme was perfect in every way that actually seemed genuine. Captain America's enemy, Red Skull (supposed to be Hitler), was very well played indeed. Very scary looking and the acting was brilliant.

This is certainly one of the best movies that I have ever seen and I recommend to all. If you love action packed movies with well known actors, and a superhero comic, you'll love this.

Captain America Saves The Genre

Author: Ken Syme (
17 October 2011

Marvel has no shortage of colorful characters to choose from when constructing a new film, but as far as the most popular leading men are concerned, we may soon be hitting a drought. Obviously, the company can (and most likely will) keep firing out sequels, prequels, and remakes featuring Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, but comic fans, loyal though they may be, often want something new. Fortunately, one of the last "big" Marvel heroes to get his own movie has arrived, and his vehicle, entitled Captain America: The First Avenger, is a rewarding installment that is smart, clever, confident and, best of all, different.

Most recent origin stories in superhero cinema are similar. Even Thor, who hailed from another dimension, is still dealing with guilt, immaturity, and daddy issues found in almost every Marvel adaptation. Captain America differs not only in the fact that it is an early-'40s period piece, but also in its plausible and palpable originality. The freshness, combined with a strong ensemble and an intelligent script delivers one of the finest superhero adaptations of the year.

Fine as both a noble runt and a gentlemanly superhero, Chris Evans delivers a character worth caring about. Smaller assets pop up at every turn: Stanley Tucci, Tommy Lee Jones, Neal McDonough, Dominic Cooper, Sebastian Stan and the gorgeous Hayley Atwell as Cap's eclectic batch of allies; and, best of all, a meaty but entirely logical editorial approach that encapsulates all of Rogers' early adventures in one tight and refined two-hour frame.

And, sincerely, a certain "propaganda montage" is something special. The action, the chuckles, the surprisingly interesting character development ... they're what make Captain America a very solid action flick. But it's that one special montage that elevates the film into something a little bit cooler than the typical Marvel fare. Captain America also proves once again that great movie making is about much more than special effects – its about acting, directing, scripting, and most of all, it's about passion – something that has been eclipsed by a few clicks.

Not just a great superhero movie but a great movie!

Author: Shelly_T from Hong Kong
10 August 2011

Considering all the recent superhero movies have varied from bad to very good but not great I wasn't sure about this one. The cast on paper was very good but I wasn't sure if a movie set in World War 2 would be relevant in the present day. Well, Capatain Amercia: The First Avenger works and is easily one of the best movies of the year. The cast is outstanding and the story should keep you riveted. The movie has just about everything for everyone action, romance, drama, etc., which is something I think the other recent superhero movies may have lacked. Hopefully, The Avengers and the following sequels, if there are any, are just as good or better.

The story of one of the greatest comic book icons Marvel's Captain America.

Author: jtmytake3 from United Kingdom
22 August 2011

The First Avenger is finally with us, the superhero that embodies the American spirit and what it truly means to be a hero explodes onto the big screen in brilliant colour. The story of ninety pound asthmatic weakling Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) who is so desperate to do his bit in the war against fascism that he submits himself to Dr Erskine's (Stanley Tucci) experiment to create the perfect human. Instantaneously Rogers becomes a poster boy for the Second World War and puts on about eighty pounds, he now runs faster and is stronger than any other human on Earth. But he is not alone in his abilities and he soon finds himself embroiled in the war he was so desperate to be a part in. Can the kid from Brooklyn be the hero his larger than life heart preordains him to be? If you're expecting this movie to be full of gross Americanisms and lots of flying the flag basically the ultimate U.S. propaganda spectacle and admittedly there is much that would appease the American sensibility. But this is a story about one man and his heart and courage of epic proportions, man with a propensity for good and fighting for the good of the common man. This has always been Marvel's answer to DC Comics man of steel Superman and by way of adaptation alone they have beaten Superman's most recent reboot. Joe Johnson has expertly captured that bygone era of periodic Saturday matinée serials and when you look at his resume you can see why he was chosen to depict the story of one of America's most famous sons.

The acting from the lead is again surprising; Chris Evans has previously played roles full of testosterone and ego but here skilfully balances a man full of humility and guts the size of a nation. His interpretation of the star spangled man of might accurately pays homage to a hero forgotten in recent years with the onslaught of comic book characters. Hugo Weaving is suitably maniacal as Johan Schmidt aka Red Skull and Tucci is excellent as the man of great wisdom and knowledge tasked with creating a new weapon against the rising tyranny of Nazi Germany. Mr Johnson has struck a great chord with the special effects which never overtake the telling of the story but instead are skilfully used to enhance the story. If Mr Snyder wants a tip on how to bring great power and heroism to the screen he wouldn't go wrong in watching this adaptation, one only hopes that the impending Avengers can continue in this vein. Captain America receives 3 ½ out of 5 and is in cinemas now.

A big build up for Avengers

Author: foxthehunt from Canada
8 August 2011

I love comics, grew up with them and know Marvel and DC characters better then many family members. So going into this I more or less knew what I was going to see. It stays true to the origin story of Capt. and does a good job in adding little extras to fill in the holes that the comics never explained.

Seeing Capt. in action for the first time was great and watching all the other scenes that bring iconic symbols that we all know come alive was also great. From start to finish this is not a bad comic book come to life. BUT, it lacks a certain something, perhaps it's the actor playing Capt. or the lack of type of action I would have liked to see on screen.

Red Skull looked great and was bang on, very rare to see a marvel villain actually make the transition so smoothly to film. When it is all said and done it is a great flick for action and a few laughs here and there. Over all it left me wanting to see the same story but delivered differently. There was just something about this film that made me feel like it was rushed or simply thrown together.

In the end I would recommend it but I simply feel that this is just a build up for the Avengers movie in the end.

Captain America: The First Avenger is Marvel's Best Yet

Author: David McVay from Australia
27 July 2011

Of all the Marvel comic adaptations, I most worried about Captain America because this is a hard comic to adapt. Steve Rogers AKA Captain America is essentially a flag waving, patriotic boy scout and that works in printed form but could end up being a cheesy corn dog on screen. True "Thor" is about an Asgardian thunder god but at it's core it is essentially a fantasy film and we have done that before, so I had a lot of trust that it would work. Captain America however is rooted in the real world and it would be really easy to make this a nauseatingly patriotic Michael Bay movie.

So this brings us to "Captain America: The First Avenger", the latest in the current series of Marvel films that lead into next year's "The Avengers". Did director Joe Johnston ("Jumanji" & "The Rocketeer") manage to bring Captain Steve Rogers to the big screen successfully? The answer is simple, yes he absolutely did. Johnston and his writers, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, have found the balance to bring Cap to life and one of the prime reasons this works so well was the decision to take the character back to his origins and set it in the World War II era. It would have been easy for the filmmakers to have a short World War II intro and then bring Cap into the modern world like the 1990 Albert Pyun version but we probably would have ended up with a similar mess.

The 1940's wartime era plays into that patriotic symbol theme that is vital for Captain America to work. Today it would have seemed tacky to send Captain America to Iraq or Afghanistan. The World War II setting offers Captain America a chance to be a real war hero, in a time when war heroes were celebrated, and to fight a clearly defined, evil enemy that everyone recognizes as a threat. Smart move Marvel Pictures.

The story of "Captain America: The First Avenger" is simple and for anyone who has ever read a Captain America comic, instantly recognisable. Week, puny Steve Rogers wants to join the army and fight for America. What he lacks in body size or health he makes up with bravery, heart and a solid moral code. When asked if he wants to kill Nazis, he answers that he doesn't want to kill anyone, he just hates bullies. After being rejected over and over again he is finally spotted by a scientist who is working on the super soldier program. The scientist, Dr. Abraham Erskine (played brilliantly by Stanley Tucci), recognises that Rogers has the right stuff for his program. A quick experiment later and wimpy Steve Rogers is turned into the super buff super soldier.

Let me just take a moment to say how much I loved Chris Evans in this film. Evans has always played brash and cocky characters. Take a look at "Scott Pilgrim Saves the World" or the "Fantastic Four" films for examples. We loved him in those roles to be sure, but Steve Rogers allows him to play a really humble, polite and sweet character and even after his transformation, he retains that pure and humble spirit. He may have superpowers but he really is just a kid from Brooklyn. While other superheroes are dark, brooding and full of doubt and/or pain, Captain America is like a breath of fresh air, he is brave and bright. He wants to be a superhero to do good, simple as that.

Okay, back to the film. After a minor action scene, Rogers becomes really popular in the USO circuit selling war bonds as Captain America, cheesy costume and all. It is when his best friend Bucky (Sebastian Stan) goes MIA that Steve Rogers jumps to action and the real Captain America is born. With a new costume, super shield and a crack team of commandos at his disposal, Captain America sets about systematically dismantling Hydra, the super evil science division of the Nazis led by Germany's own super soldier, the evil Red Skull.

Hugo Weaving's scenery chewing performance as the Red Skull is brilliant and he often steals the film. In fact the performances by the entire supporting cast are rock solid and this helps Evans sell the more fantastical aspects of the film. Along with the already mentioned Tucci, Weaving and Stan is the ever reliable Tommy Lee Jones as Col. Chester Phillips (Cap's superior officer) and Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark (yes, Iron Man's dad). But I have to give special mention to Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, Steve Roger's love interest. Atwell is not only physically beautiful but she also has guts and can hold her own with the boys. I found the mutual attraction between Rogers and Carter pitch perfect and I think it is one of the most successful love stories in the Marvel films yet. She is a star in the making and I look forward to her future career.

So far I have gushed and to be fair I must point out that the film's third act does have a minor logic flaw, but in the great scheme of things it doesn't take away the sheer pleasure of watching this film. I found that I had a smile on my face from beginning to end.

"Captain America: The First Avenger" proves again that Marvel knows how to bring their heroes to the big screen like no other company can. It is simply the best Marvel superhero film yet and Chris Evans IS Captain America. I can't wait to see "The Avengers" in 2012.

Oh, and one last note: stay to the end of the credits for the most satisfying post credit sequence to date.

I originally posted this review on my site

Fantastic Family Film

Author: mypoint99 from United States
3 August 2011

Just saw Captain America a second time today. Loved it just as much the second time around. This is not a film I would have chosen to go see - not my favorite genre - but my kids were dying to see it. After having had to deny them the opportunity to see several other superhero films due to the film ratings for language, sex, and violence, I was wary of this film. I knew nothing about Captain America whatsoever. So I did my typical research, determined the film passed my test as far as I could tell (never know with ratings these days), and I went to the theater hoping I would not be disappointed. I wasn't. My kids thought the the movie was fantastic, and I loved it as well, especially since it was free of the cheap raunchiness that afflicts so many movies these days. A great storyline, wonderful recreation of the 1940s, honorable characters, fun humor, nice cast of talented actors. Overall, a truly enjoyable film that was both exciting and uplifting, with - finally! - some great moral lessons and some patriotism (that was refreshing in this day and age.) Thanks to Marvel and the actors for giving my family and I a great family film we could enjoy together. We might even go see it a third time.

The beloved comic book character gets the rendition it deserves

Author: Helgi Jonsson from Iceland
3 August 2011

After creating several other Avengers movies, such as The Hulk, Iron Man and Thor, it was finally time for creating a film about the beloved action hero, Captain America. And this one does not disappoint. We see the story of Steve Rogers, who has been constantly rejected by the army, finally getting the chance he deserves. I have to say, Chris Evans's leading performance is rock-solid, and the performances by Hayley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving are no disappointment either. The entire film's production is top-notch, ranging from excellent sound design to eye- popping visuals, to a solid film score by Alan Silvestri. Some of the action sequences feel a bit too comic book-ish in my opinion though, and at some point you feel like you're watching a trailer rather than an actual movie. But, nonetheless, at other times they are brilliantly executed and I have nothing to complain about. The driving force of this movie is not delivered trough action or CGI though, but trough the emotional connection between the characters, especially the one between Steve and Bucky, his friend. Anyway, I won't be spoiling anything, overall it's a very solid, humorous and action-packed superhero movie, and it's one of the best Marvel movies to date. It was a pleasant surprise, and is definitely worth the ticket.

I knew Cap wouldn't let me down.

Author: ticket_for_one from United Kingdom
4 August 2011

I knew Cap wouldn't let me down. Marvel has done it again with their latest superhero offering. Captain America is one of the best films I've seen this year. Along with Thor it's one of the best comic book movies to come out this century. Seriously I really loved this film. What Marvel have done with whole Avengers story tie in is brilliant! Just like the comics, if you haven't watched any of the other Avenger movies, you won't necessarily be lost, but you'd have a better idea of what's happening and what's about to happen if you have. Chris Evans does a great job at playing Cap. In fact it's a very human portrayal of the superhero. Not only was he physically up for the role, but he also did a good job of handling the emotional scenes. Evans has always been a capable actor and he's much more likable than the unfunny Ryan Reynolds. There were questions about his involvement in this movie because he recently played Johnny Storm in Fantastic Four movies. But seeing how Marvel has killed off Johnny Storm it only makes sense to play this character. He's an actor I'll continue to lookout for. Supporting cast was perfect. Tommy Lee Jones hardly ever puts a foot wrong and was great as the grumpy but funny colonel, Toby Stephens does a great job, Dominic Cooper whose becoming one of favourite British actors does a fine job as Howard Stark. Shall I go on? Stanley Tucci just goes from strength to strength with every role. A character actor, who can do anything and play anyone, he was also great as the doctor who administers the Super Serum to Steve Rodgers for him to become Captain America. For Hugo Weaving it was business as usual. The man knows how to play the villain and does (you guessed it) a great job as Red Skull. Even Hayley Atwell whose been targeted as the weak performer in this, does a job here. Neal McDonough, Derek Luke and Sebastian Stan also offer reliable support. So as you can see I have no problems with the performances. Great set pieces, which include good old solid fisticuffs fight between Cap and Red Skull at the end. Explosions, lots of them. Gun fights and motorcycle chases. All of which are well filmed and well choreographed. Great story and plot give this film an Indiana Jones feel. Watch the beginning and you'll think Raiders, for sure! The special effects used to make Chris Evans smaller were brilliant. At times I honest thought he'd lost weight and shrunk in size. Joe Johnston has redeemed himself after the dreaded Wolfman and has given us the same kind of adventure and cinematography he showed us in movies like Rocketeer and Hidalgo. Yes, this is a good movie! Is it perfect? No?

Only problems I had are nitpick things. It would've been nice to see Cap being trained as a soldier after he received his abilities. In saying that we are never fully told what Cap was capable of. In saying that, in some scenes he makes it evident, that his physical attributes are enhanced to peak of human potential. So says Wikipedia. Scenes drag in places but not for long. Visual effects looked choppy but only in some scenes. Other than that, I had no other problems with the film.

Uniform looked great, visually 1940's New York looks brilliant and the story ties in nicely with the Avengers movie.

All in all it?M)s a great film and I'd definitely go and see it again. Worth the release and a DVD/Blu-Ray purchase.