IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 5 of 65: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Marvel's ruined Captain America for me.

Author: maria joao from Portugal
22 December 2011

To start with, I didn't even understand the movie. I found myself daydreaming in the theater, simply because the movie couldn't keep me interested. It was disappointing, since I had very high expectations about this movie. It was a waste of money. If you're a fan of movies where you see everybody running and everything exploding and people screaming and a predictable, soulless love story... (if that can be called story... you don't really see them falling in love, it's like they start loving each other simply because they spend much time together (running and screaming and being afraid). I'm pretty sure the only reason why that love "story" was put there to attract to the movie not only men or boys who remember the actual, and good, Captain America, but also their wives and girlfriends. Pointless, let me tell you. It was awful. I found myself frowning when they kissed)... then this movie is for you. If you like good movies with an interesting story, character development, don't even bother to watch this one. It was one of the worst movies I've ever watched. I watched it in the theater with my boyfriend, which are two things that always make the movies better.. but not even the great company and the comfortableness of the chairs and wideness of the screen could save this unbearable movie. I'm the I'll-stay-until-the-end-of-the-credits-because-there-may- be-something-nice-after-them kinda movie watcher, but I found myself rushing to the door even before the credits started. I don't recommend watching this movie to anyone, and I need to thank Marvel *cough cough* for ruining Captain America for me.

A big build up for Avengers

Author: foxthehunt from Canada
8 August 2011

I love comics, grew up with them and know Marvel and DC characters better then many family members. So going into this I more or less knew what I was going to see. It stays true to the origin story of Capt. and does a good job in adding little extras to fill in the holes that the comics never explained.

Seeing Capt. in action for the first time was great and watching all the other scenes that bring iconic symbols that we all know come alive was also great. From start to finish this is not a bad comic book come to life. BUT, it lacks a certain something, perhaps it's the actor playing Capt. or the lack of type of action I would have liked to see on screen.

Red Skull looked great and was bang on, very rare to see a marvel villain actually make the transition so smoothly to film. When it is all said and done it is a great flick for action and a few laughs here and there. Over all it left me wanting to see the same story but delivered differently. There was just something about this film that made me feel like it was rushed or simply thrown together.

In the end I would recommend it but I simply feel that this is just a build up for the Avengers movie in the end.

Everything The Green Lantern should've been! Its a Surprise HIT!

Author: John Maynes from United States
5 August 2011

I wasn't expecting this to be good but it actually was pretty good.

OK so this summer has had its up and downs, we all saw some surprises in good and bad, but who knows what Hollywood has more to come?

"Facts of The Green Lantern" OK so we all waited to see The Green Lantern and it...didn't do so well...at all, i wasn't really shocked about the movie, why because i saw in the trailer that it was gonna bite but i didn't expect the Green Lantern to be that bad, and it was and is now being the buzz for razzie history in my book. Why, The Story of the Green Lantern was so shallow, and the acting was horrible, the Green Lantern in other words sucked.!don't believe me? look up Mark Miller, don't know him? He's the creator of"Wanted,Civil War and the Kick ASS comics" he called it the"Worst Superhero ever made".

"Review of Captain America:The First Avenger" But Captain America Delivered such a good experience and taking that this film was made by Joe Johnston? really it was made by him, that brought an even bigger surprise to me, why because he's known for not only bringing the Jurassic Park Franchise down with his entry of an original part 3 but turned out to be a flop, and then he tried to remake "The Wolfman" well he had something going, but as it got into story there was so many stops and pauses of what? and OK, then eh but he did a little bit better, now out of all his films he's still very well know for October Sky is his best film out of his Direction career.

So Chis Evens as Captian America, he probably did a breakthrough performance!

Hugo Weaving as Red Skull, as known for doing Megatron he did a mega good job!

The Story is good, it better than The Green Lantern for miles

Everything good in a movie is in here. Good Performances, Good Story, Good Direction, Good Everything.

Its one of the coolest surprises of summer!

Perfect Summer movie

Author: vsg07 from India
13 August 2011

Captain America is directed by Joe Johnston and stars Chris Evans and Hugo Weaving. On the outside it looks like a fun summer movie with all the right dialog and action pieces with it. But when you watch it, you will realize it is about a boy who wont give up. And that's why this might be one of my favorite movies of this year. Chris Evans is cast perfectly as a 1940s young man who wants to serve his country. Stanley Tucci is a German scientist who wants to correct the mistakes of his past and Tommy Lee Jones is a colonel who along with Tucci is responsible for selecting one cadet who might become the strongest soldier of all. Hugo Weaving looks menacing as Johann Schmidt. When he says he wants it all, you almost believe him.

Most importantly Joe Johnston and the writers know what makes Captain America so endearing and its commendable that they don't over do it.

Before watching this movie, I was a bit worried about how Chris Evans would stand up to Robert Downey Jr and Samuel L Jackson in the Avengers. Now I think he might be able look at them in the eye and get away with it.

Very Mediocre, Very Few Redeeming Qualities

Author: tgrock from United States
28 July 2011

The movie is completely harmless to watch. There's lots of cheesy, feel good humor. The villains seem non-threatening and extremely hokey, as well as the origin of Captain America. How can this technology exist if we don't even have it today? (Laser Guns, Robots, Vaporizers) At one point, they mention Captain America's genetic code is different than his serum. They didn't even know anything about genetic codes and DNA back in the 1940s. Question: Why does the villain, Red Skull, have an actual Red Skull?

The action scenes: at no point is Captain America in any danger nor do you really care about his character. He has basically no character flaws at all. Question: How does Captain America's shield come back to him every time?

The visual effects: except for the impressive digitalizing of Steve Rogers before he becomes Captain America, the CGI looks basically like the same quality as the Matrix Redloaded at some points.

The acting: Okay. No real stand out performances.

Love relationship: Why is that woman in the military to begin with? I'm pretty sure that there were no women in that high of a position? At the end of the movie, she even goes into battle. Maybe a nurse would've been more believable.

I don't recommend this if you hate the movie Avatar: it's very similar, but a little better than that one as well as being similar to the 2nd half of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Rating: Avatar

(Rating names are based off of films of the same name that happen to be as bad or as good as the film being reviewed.)

Guten tag her Blaskovitz

Author: Gregory from Estonia, Tallinn
27 July 2011

Every time the heavy solider walked in I could not laugh and say "Guten tag her Blaskovitz". I know its Captain America and its better than the previous versions, but it is still unbearable not to rif on.

OK, ignoring one lousy editing shot around the end, the movie has good visuals and feels adequate. It's what many wanted out of such a movie after previous failed attempts.

But the main hero is a hypocritical boy scout. He says he doesn't want to kill anybody, yet desperately try's to enlist into the war as a soldier, and in the end deliberately throws enemy soldiers out of a airborne bomber.

The first half of the movie is about a CGI man in his 30es, as it's impossible to take that voice seriously with that body. Any skinny stand-in would have sufficed for this, but they decided to dangle CG for 40 minutes in front of us and think we would not notice. And then they make a pro-steroid add outright into a hulk rip-off.

The idea to throw the Red skull as an independent German villain during WWII is just insane. His Hydra monologues sound like he thinks being slapped by the enemy makes him stronger. His superweapons are overpowerfull, but never properly utilized because his soldiers are stromtrooper dumb. And where does he get his easily replaceable loyal henchmen in such numbers? Not from the Hitler loving loyalist Nazis that's for shore.

But what's really unbearable is how the two powers meet every time. Nobody can see some guy skulking around at a well lit military base, or fire anywhere other than at his shield, which covers only 1/3 of his body. Hell, the badguys even have flamethrowers to deal with the guy, but every time something stupid saves his hide.

Oh, and the ending… "I wanted to bring you in slow" and that's why I even made you a fake girlfriend and put you into an easily escapable facility in the middle of NY, after which you get a very odd looking finger by Uncle Sam.

Its too insane not to rif on. My best was: You labeled one of your nukes "New Yourk"? I'm now half expecting the camera to pan off and see another labeled "Mutter".

Don't live up to its expectations

Author: Aasta Kyvik from oslo, norway
26 May 2014

First of all, I was deeply disappointed by the movie. I was looking forward to some spectacular and meaningful marvel superhero movie, but Captain America didn't quite live up to marvel's name.

First of all I have to say I enjoyed the training camp at the army, but that's about it. In those scene Rogers is a very honorable man, and I guess he continued being so, but after his transformation I really felt as the character lost his uniqueness. Like with the flag pole you could see his ability to think outside the box, but with him as captain America I didn't feel like there was anything outside the box - I felt as if I had seen it all before.

Secondly, I think that the villain in this movie was pretty pathetic. "Red scull", really?! You never got to know why he was THAT against the world, he was just put in the movie as an obstacle for the hero.

Thirdly, the technology was way to far developed of its time and made it all seem pretty unrealistic.

And last but not least, the ending sucked... I didn't feel as if it fitted with the plot, and instead of giving me any answers it left me with even more questions. Who found him? How could he been sleeping for 70 years? For me it seemed as the ending was made as an excuse to a new Captain America movie, which I'm perfectly fine without seeing.

In retrospect, very little worth watching

Author: Voyou Nobodysbusiness from Turkey
20 November 2013

It has only been a couple of years, and I can't recall anything from the story, except from the early part, when Cap was still a weakling. Seems like growing muscles transformed him into Captain Forgettable. Meanwhile, I still remember some arcs from the comics I read as far as decades ago, and I never really cared for that character one way or another.

I can understand good notes pouring in soon after the movie's release. Brains work that way. I can understand praise from patriotism-afflicted viewers. Spinal cords work that way. However, technically, artistically or whateverly, this film has very little to offer. From the action scenes, I can only recall that the pictures were always too dark, as dark as a low budget piece trying to hide its special effects. This is a shame considering the insane amount of money used here, and a very, very common occurrence in corporate Hollywood.

Worse yet, I didn't even remember any of the cast until IMDb refreshed my memory. To make Tommy Lee Jones forgettable is such an achievement that it should automatically grant a spot in the Grand Hall of Shame.

Better than expected

Author: itamarscomix from Israel
2 October 2012

It's kinda hard, when watching Captain America, to forget that it's intended mostly as a prelude to the far superior The Avengers; Captain America exists mostly to introduce the character and do away with his origin story. The sub-header "The First Avenger" certainly doesn't help to relieve the feeling that this film just wasn't meant to stand in its own right.

But surprisingly enough, director Joe Johnston managed to turn a sparse script about an anachronistic and old-fashioned character into a well-paced, even entertaining film. It's not as entertaining or as energetic as The Avengers or the Iron Man movies; Captain America's style is in accordance with its World War II setting. Johnston embraces the anachronistic idealism and patriotism of the character, but never to the point that it feels camp. The film feels like it takes place in the 40's, but it doesn't feel like a pastiche or a period piece, which would have made the transition into The Avengers jarring and painful. It feels like it's part of the Marvel universe, but it also has its own unique feel (something which Thor and The Incredible Hulk, sadly, cannot say).

It's still not quite a stand-alone film - not like Iron Man. It shows more than any other Marvel film so far the flaws in creating this elaborate shared universe of characters. It's especially clear in the under-utilization of the villain character, the Red Skull, who promises to be an interesting and mysterious character but gets far too little screen-time, which is all spent on the good Captain's origin story. That story leaves very little room for the film to have any of its own plot. But it has its own atmosphere, it has heart and a sense of humor and an anachronistic, idealistic but very likable hero.

Eye-catching sets, a highly watchable cast, and a brisk action-packed story make this film a treat.

Author: I B from Mars
24 December 2012

The film that could have been one of the worst by Marvel Studios instead turned out to be one of the best. Captain America: The First Avenger gets everything right, but the studio hasn't really released a bad film yet. Chris Evans as Steve Rogers is pretty much perfect here. He's believable as someone who goes through a big transformation, but more importantly he's believable as a righteous sickly young man who wants to serve his country. He's transformed into the super soldier Captain America, and he gets a good-looking costume which looks perfect for its era. The 1940s in this film is an optimistic retro-futuristic time that's important in world history. Director Joe Johnston (The Rocketeer, Jumanji) captured that era very well. The talented supporting cast includes Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper and Stanley Tucci. Jones is great as usual in the role of Colonel Chester Phillips. Tucci gives an interesting performance as the deeply humanistic Dr. Abraham Erskine. And Atwell as the tough Peggy Carter looks just like one of those pin-up girls of the 1940s. Captain America: The First Avenger is an action-packed summer blockbuster, so there isn't a dull moment. One of the highlights is a motorcycle chase reminiscent of the one in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (1989). But there's still a good deal of drama, and the film takes an honest look at its hero. Even though the Nazis, or more precisely the terrorist organization HYDRA, have things like laser weapons this still seems perfectly believable. Some people might interpret the film as a piece of American propaganda, but I don't care because it's an exuberant great-looking superhero film. For some reason Captain America has always been one of my favorite superheroes (maybe it's the cool costume and shield), and I'm glad that now there's finally a good film about him. In conclusion, Johnston and cinematographer Shelly Johnson crafted a satisfying colorful adventure film. I recommend seeing it.