IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 4 of 63: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Cap'n USA is out with a bang

Author: BikramjeetGrish from Bundelkhand Region
29 January 2012

It is a gibberish and just showcasing of US supremacy. I would not call this film belongs to Sci-fi action genre... Rather it is a political venture created very sagaciously to devour our precious time and money.

Even before watching this movie, I knew that this is a copy of 'Mr India', still I went to see, because I had faith and respect for Stan "the Man" Lee.

After watching this movie, I realized that this is one of the worst movie I have ever seen. The whole plot looks confused and inappropriate. I didn't want to condemn this movie, but since this movie is so bad and stupid, I can't hold myself.

For Stan Lee: Dear Stan, what are you doing? You are not made for this? C'on, I mean after giving so many sensible movies, what happened to your choice? You have even come up as an excellent comic book empire magnate, then how didn't you notice what was happening while making this movie? Please, there are people (including me) who still love and respect you. Don't spoil your image by making senseless movies like this.

For Director: Dear whosoever, please grow up, and start making some sensible movies. You may have kiddo fantasies, but please stop making people suffer because of your fancies.

For movie: This movie seems to be lost from the very beginning. And many illogical stupid plots. A hero who loves to handle case on his own, and goes everywhere alone.

It is a sham .The trailers allured us to go to the cinema halls and visualize a cinematographic extravaganza, yes to some extent I am content in that department but I am very very disappointed with the story-line and the acting..

Watch the movie only if u are in so good mood that u want to re-adjust it a bit.

worst 2 hours of my life

Author: Dubravko Pavlovic from Croatia
15 May 2012

you know, i've seen many sci-fi movies. and many of those made just for children.. but this movie is made for retards.. my only regret is that i can't give it a 0 out of 10 score..

storyline is just terrible, and completely pro American. i my self have got nothing against USA, so i think that i do have some objectivity, unlike people that vote this to 6.8 average score.. i mean, come on...

this movie's budget was $ 140,000,000.00?? Jesus Christ!!! And for 140 millions you made this ... god, i cant even call it a movie..

WORST 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE... i wish i could get them back..... Santa? you can make it my Christmas present.. :) i promise i'll be good...

They haven't made this kind of Propaganda since the cold war

Author: Sebastian Gomez (almafuerte@gmail.com) from Argentina
5 November 2011

That's all this movie is: Propaganda.

If you drink your milk, pay your taxes, believe in imaginary creepy father figures in the sky, trust the government that steals from you every day, and still think you live in a democracy, then go watch this movie, you'll love it.

Otherwise, stay at home and watch a B movie, it might be bad, but at least it won't try to brainwash you.

This actually reminds me of those anti-Nazis Disney cartoons. It's just as creepy, and as ideological.

Sure, Captain America was just cheap propaganda in the first place, using tactics picked right out of a Nazi handbook, but I thought McCarthyism had gotten subtler in the past 50 years.

World War II, Marvel style

Author: freemantle_uk from United Kingdom
7 August 2011

2011 is certainly the year for Marvel Studio, seeing that Thor came out earlier in the year to good reviews and a healthy box-office considering he is a lesser known hero and Captain America has done even better with critics and a stronger opening. Added to that Fox's reboot of X-Men was able to get that series right after the mess Brett Ratner left it in.

Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) is a small, skinny man with a number of health problems who wants to fight in the American Army in 1942. After numerous times of trying to enlist a German scientist, Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci) sees his determination and good heart is able to pull some strings and gets him into the army. Rogers joins a special unit and is seen as the perfect candidate to become America's first super soldier, giving him enhanced strength, speed and healing abilities. In Germany the Nazi's secret science division, HYDRA and its leader Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) discovers a blue cube of energy and believes it could give him the power of the Gods and likes all mad scientists plans to take over the world. In America Rogers is made into a performing act, encouraging the public to buy war bonds and given the name Captain America. But Rogers wants to fight in the war and is given his chance to take on HYDRA in 1943.

I personally preferred Thor over Captain America, but it still a fun summer flick and a solid 7.5/10. Captain America has plenty of references to Thor and the Iron Man films and shows how these franchise should be interlinked. Captain America is able to mix a light touch but making sure it treats the source material with respect and keeps it serious. Joe Johnston wouldn't have been my first choice to direct this film but certainly made it fun and he was more assured as an action director compared to Kenneth Brangh, director of Thor. It was a fast paced actioneer, but Johnston made sure they was enough time to let us know the characters and the set up for the plot. When Captain America first gains his powers the scene of him catching an assassin on top of a taxi reminded me a lot of the first Spider-man film, a film that got mix of serious and light-hearted right. This was certainly a good introduction to character and the start for what should be another successful adaptation for Marvel.

The humour throughout the film is deadpan and there are very good performance from the supporting cast, especially Weaving, Tommy Lee Jones and Tucci. Weaving certainly knows how to portray evil characters. Evans was able to instill Captain America's values of determination, freedom, strength and being a force for good. But the thing about Captain America is that he is a classic hero, living in a world of absolutes of good and evil, they is no ambiguity. And well, Hayley Atwell is a token Brit so she gets a free pass.

The score by Alan Silverstri it self has an old fashion, grand feel to it and there were reminds to films such as the first Hellboy film, starting during World War Two with the Nazis using mythology to gain an advantage to win the war and classic 60s and 70s war films like Where Eagles Dare.

Captain America is an enjoyable blockbuster and necessary viewing if you plan to view The Avengers in 2012.

Does Justice to Cap ! Amen !

Author: RealLiveClaude from Montreal, Canada
6 August 2011

As I remembered the versions of 1979 (TV movies with Reb Brown) or the lame version of 1991 with Matt Salinger, I was just hoping this time, this movie will do good with Captain America as the main subject.

And what a ride it was. I know that Captain America (Steve Rogers) was a soldier, so expecting some war movie along with the superhero fare. Joe Johnston not only caught the essence of the American Hero, but this time, no bulked up effects nor fake violence. This is really the Marvel hero and first Avenger who we are seeing here...

All the actors were good in it. Very surprised to see Hugo Weaving doing a believable Red Skull (I remember the one in 1991 was horrible...) and when you see Tommy Lee Jones doing army stuff, we gotta believe it, he gives depth...

Chris Evans gives Steve Rogers/Captain America a brand new perspective, far from Reb Brown's botched up costume or Matt Salinger's bland personification. Hope he keeps the momentum in "The Avengers"...

And of course, the "Stan Lee" moment is not to be missed with a quip from the creator himself...

An excellent throwback to the straightforward heroism of the past, and a mightily entertaining blockbuster with great humour and loads of thrilling action

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
27 July 2011

The last of Marvel Comics' superheroes to make its big screen debut before next year's hotly anticipated 'The Avengers' was also the first to debut on print some 70 years ago in Joe Simon and Jack Kirby's Super Soldier series. Captain America was his name, his appearance at the time when the world was in the throes of World War II- though it would be months later before America finally decided to join in the fight following the bombing of Pearl Harbour.

You'd understand why then the character was created as a square-jawed, well-chiselled, honourable man with almost zero flaws- the world needed a hero in the truest sense of the word and Captain America fit that profile to a T. In adapting the comic character, writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (of the 'Narnia' franchise) have wisely opted not to distort the wholesome hero Captain America has been known to be, and this is precisely why their film stands out tall and strong against the plethora of superhero flicks in recent years.

Indeed, moral ambiguity has become de rigueur for the modern-day superhero since the likes of 'The Dark Knight', so much so that the simplicity of old-fashioned true-blue heroism is in fact quite refreshing. And other than his physical build, Steve Rogers is no less than the perfect hero- his only wish is to enlist in the war to do his part for his nation, and he's not afraid to fight back even when faced with an opponent bigger and stronger than he is. Rogers is finally granted his wish- after numerous unsuccessful interviews- when he meets German defector Dr. Abraham Erskine (the excellent Stanley Tucci), who recruits him as part of the US Army's plan to create super-soldiers.

Needless to say, Rogers is eventually chosen among the candidates- the choice, as Dr Erskine explains to him, is because 'a strong man who has known power all his life may lose respect for that power; but a weak man knows the value of strength and knows compassion'. An agonising serum injection later, Rogers is transformed into the buff and muscular Captain America- his newfound powers quickly put to the test when he sets off down the streets of Manhattan barefoot in hot pursuit of a German spy who assassinates Dr Erskine just minutes after the experiment.

That spy is in fact under the service of renegade officer Johann Schmidt (The Matrix's Hugo Weaving in another expert villain role), the leader of the Nazis' occult research arm HYDRA building his own personal army for world domination. Schmidt is a fine nemesis to Captain America, the very antithesis of the latter's red-white-and-blue goodness and very definition of the word 'evil'. If the film draws Captain America as the equivalent of pure heroism, then so must it also paint Schmidt as the equivalent of complete evil.

But before the two go up against each other, Captain America must first overcome the politics of war, as he is quickly placed in a blue costume and made to perform on stage as an All-American hero to urge the public to buy war bonds and hence raise money for the war effort. Director Joe Johnston has plenty of satirical fun playing up the overt patriotism of these acts, presenting them in a montage that sees Captain America perform across different states but with the same act which includes a fake German Nazi. This detour into media celebrity also sees the film at its most grounded, as Captain America becomes a larger-than-life symbol used as a morale booster for the public.

He finally springs into action when he learns that his buddy Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) has been taken prisoner by HYDRA, and despite warnings from his former commanding officer, Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones), decides to go deep into enemy territory to rescue him and other prisoners-of-war. It is there he realises the extent of Schmidt's nefarious plans, the rest of the movie a non-stop thrill-ride as Captain America assembles his army to clean out Schmidt's bases one by one leading up to that final confrontation between the two.

Yes, it takes an hour before the action kicks in proper, but Johnston makes the wait absolutely worth it. Johnston has demonstrated his penchant for visual effects, and his abilities are plainly evident in the film's action set-pieces- beginning with a daring raid to rescue the POWs, followed by a sneak attack on Schmidt on board a moving train, and culminating in a climactic showdown set inside Schmidt's underground lair as well as around and in his fighter jet. There is unadulterated exhilaration to be had here, and the film's infectiously jaunty spirit adds immensely to the sheer enjoyment.

Of course given the period setting, there is a need to bring our hero to the present to join with the other members of S.H.I.E.L.D. including their team leader Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson in yet another cameo)- but kudos to both the screen writing team of Markus and McFeely as well as director Johnston for keeping this adaptation true to the old pop culture motif that Captain America was. Whereas modern-day superheroes tend to be less clearly defined in terms of black and white or should we say good and evil, this old-school hero is a perfect nostalgic emblem of heroism. That and the fact that this movie is also mighty entertaining is just the perfect finish to this summer's superhero bombast, and a run-up par excellence to next summer's 'The Avengers'.

- www.moviexclusive.com

xerox could have done a better job

Author: Bollywood-Buttsquirts from Khuzdar Residentual Area
11 October 2011

The only reason this movie ended up with more as 1 star is because some hardcore nationalist Hollywood lovers didn't write honest reviews. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against remakes nor Hollywood, but this is just uninspired crap. I like any kind of movies. But movies ought to be made by people who enjoy making them, they should be skilled. Willing to put effort in making a good movie. This guy is allowed to make movies because he is from a rich influential family.

Joe Johnston must be one of the least talented directors these days. None of his work is original and all of his movies are cheap copies. this is the same, he saw a movie. Liked it, but just didn't understand it. it doesn't even come close to the original. Everything is just worse as the original Mr India. Camera work, story (that doesn't work out anymore) de fighting is lame, making it not offending for the American audience by cutting out the superhero power of invisiblity totally destroyed the story. The actor had to be a pretty face, too bad he didn't have acting skills with it. This untalented director shouldn't even be allowed to sell pop-corn in a cinema. Too bad mom and dad had money.

Johnston has a solid resume built on making these safe, PG-13 commercials for kids. He's perfect for Marvel and their toy commer...I mean..."movies" Its a direct insult to the real Mr India, and Mr. Johnston didn't even pay for the rights to rip it. Please don't watch it, get Mr India instead. This one will only make you vomit But still who like the movies like Memento, Shwashank Redemption shall watch this one.

Throw-Back Fun with Heart and Emotion

Author: Harmon from United States
31 July 2011

This remarkable film showed that they really cared enough to ground this film where possible. That's what Marvel does so well. It's what Nolan does well and that's why people call what Nolan did to Batman "Marvelizing" the character. The story and abilities are fantastic and grand but the character and depth add the weight you need to tell a believable yet intelligent tale. That's tough to do when the subject matter is this fantastic and the elements they deal with are so grandiose.

The complexity, depth, heart, emotion and action are some of the best put together in any film this year. I have to agree with most of the film critics who are praising it and I'm glad it's getting the love at a high percentage. It would've been a shame for it not to be praised by the professionals. It really is professional, throw-back fun with heart and emotion.

Team America **** Yer!

Author: john-4323 from United Kingdom
6 March 2012

The epitome of bad taste wrapped up in an advert to the world of the all American hero is once again pushing sickly sweet crap down the throats of consumers. If you thought independence day was a load of rubbish then you're going to hate this garbage also. Having wasted the hour or so watching this film I have to say, I want my life back and yes it is that awful. The star of the fantastic four is dressed in a leotard and prancing around and single handedly taking on a large army of superior armed soldiers and winning. Yes he can simply walk undetected into highly secret bases unnoticed while wearing his unconvincing garish costume for all to see. Somehow everyone who shoots at him aims for a small shield and without any noticeable super powers takes on the might of the Nazi power. "Enemy at the gates" this is not, nor is it a fun or family film, in fact i would go as far to say that this is nothing more than propaganda of the most ridiculous kind as the world will always be a better place with the good ol' US of A involved. On a scale of 1 to 100 i would vote this marginally above a Tom Cruise film but below any sanitary or worth your while to watch. Avoid at all cost, Pass me the bucket i think I'm going to puke

Smart and Fun... An Absolute Blast! A True Hero!

Author: krieg8814254 from United States
17 July 2011

Another perk of serving our country... an advance screening of a great film! Intelligent comic-book popcorn epics are rare and this one is definitely a cut above the usual fare. Besides being a tremendously smart and even emotional film, it's also refreshing to see a lead hero be just that... a hero. Steve is no morbid vigilante or narcissistic self absorbed anti-hero. He's the real deal. His tough life hasn't made him bitter or jaded. In fact, it's done just the opposite. He's needed to develop character because his body didn't develop. This is the key to Cap both in the books and in the film. Heart and character trump the physical elements and are what truly makes the character itself special. Even after he's given the great gift of being a "super soldier," he still continues to do the right thing. It's not to prove anything to anyone other than himself because he has a high moral code. I love the fact that they choose his character for the experiment because he wouldn't take advantage of the gift. That's smart writing. Cap's first assignment from the U.S. government is to be the centerpiece in a traveling USO show, building morale and raising money for the war effort. Eventually, he finds he's wasting his new abilities and NEEDS to break away on his own to fight the Nazi menace. This brings him to conflict with the awesomely diabolical Red Skull. The Skull is one of Marvel's best crazed villains and they captured that perfectly. Here, the Red Skull was a guinea pig for a similar Nazi super soldier experiment that went very wrong. These clashes and confrontations are everything they should be and more. Shades of gray are great in film (and there are those tones present here) but sometimes it's good to have character of pure heart, pure integrity and true morality take it to what history and everyone knows was pure evil. It's refreshing to sit back and root for the ultimate good to take it to the ultimate bad guys. It's why I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark and it's why I now love this film.

I enjoyed every single minute of this wonderful film!