IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 3 of 70: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

This is what the Cap Should be!

Author: knighteagle-111-219559 from United States
7 August 2011

OK I've read a lot of reviews which complain about the lack of powerful opponents for Captain America in this movie. Well that's just the point, Captain America was the great super soldier of the 40's from a time when Mutants were unheard of, and the ones that were around were trying to keep their heads low. So of course Captain America can lay waste to the Nazis, and if the Red Skull didn't run away at their first meeting (not many as stated in another review) Than the movie would have ended very quickly.

Another thing that I think many people and even more from the younger generations seem to miss. Captain America was never about the power he possessed. So those wanting to see lasers shooting out of robotic hands or eyes, or any other part of the human body, of course are going to be disappointed. Captain America was always more of a symbol of good vs evil and how the underdog can become a hero. As is I think the energy weapons that were in the film were a bit of overkill.

Captain America's origins were for a different age, and I for one am glad they kept it as authentic as they did. Those that are just looking for flashy light effects, over inflated super-egos and a host of arrogant one-liners should check out the sequel which in keeping with the finest tradition of modern movies promises all of the above.

Boring and badly laid out plot.

Author: leeezly from Germany
13 November 2011

This movie is actually not more than an awful commercial for the stuff to come in 2012. This is also why it was produced cheaply. Apparently it was never intended to be good.

The main actors role of being a skinny and not large guy was done badly. People know the actor, so it was hard for them to imagine him to be skinny. Rather they should have used an unknown guy. And Tommy Lee Jones giving his good name for this sh** ... worse. He cannot even be in the sequel since he died in the movie. Also this movie leaves a lot of things unexplained. This is probably due to the amount of other information and short movie. Why do they always have to be 2 hours? I can watch Apocalypse Now Redux without problems. Arggg!

Marvel, what a shame. You wasted 2 hours of my life.

Does Justice to Cap ! Amen !

Author: RealLiveClaude from Montreal, Canada
6 August 2011

As I remembered the versions of 1979 (TV movies with Reb Brown) or the lame version of 1991 with Matt Salinger, I was just hoping this time, this movie will do good with Captain America as the main subject.

And what a ride it was. I know that Captain America (Steve Rogers) was a soldier, so expecting some war movie along with the superhero fare. Joe Johnston not only caught the essence of the American Hero, but this time, no bulked up effects nor fake violence. This is really the Marvel hero and first Avenger who we are seeing here...

All the actors were good in it. Very surprised to see Hugo Weaving doing a believable Red Skull (I remember the one in 1991 was horrible...) and when you see Tommy Lee Jones doing army stuff, we gotta believe it, he gives depth...

Chris Evans gives Steve Rogers/Captain America a brand new perspective, far from Reb Brown's botched up costume or Matt Salinger's bland personification. Hope he keeps the momentum in "The Avengers"...

And of course, the "Stan Lee" moment is not to be missed with a quip from the creator himself...

CAPTAIN America

Author: sasaiscoming from India
2 August 2011

If u want to see a period picture then you should try something genuine not this half baked goof....there are loads of period pictures for that matter,what this movie was supposed to do was entertain and it falls very short of that.........what it uses as an excuse for lack of action is it's American propaganda and jingoistic nonsense ,while for that matter even that is not properly served as all you would hear in the movie is "hail hydra" a fictional setting not doing justice to the soldiers who fought against Hitler not some hydra-whatever-we-don't-care,funny thing you can't even blame the directors for that,it's just that it's based on one of the most boring and creatively-barren comic book character .

Smart and Fun... An Absolute Blast! A True Hero!

Author: krieg8814254 from United States
17 July 2011

Another perk of serving our country... an advance screening of a great film! Intelligent comic-book popcorn epics are rare and this one is definitely a cut above the usual fare. Besides being a tremendously smart and even emotional film, it's also refreshing to see a lead hero be just that... a hero. Steve is no morbid vigilante or narcissistic self absorbed anti-hero. He's the real deal. His tough life hasn't made him bitter or jaded. In fact, it's done just the opposite. He's needed to develop character because his body didn't develop. This is the key to Cap both in the books and in the film. Heart and character trump the physical elements and are what truly makes the character itself special. Even after he's given the great gift of being a "super soldier," he still continues to do the right thing. It's not to prove anything to anyone other than himself because he has a high moral code. I love the fact that they choose his character for the experiment because he wouldn't take advantage of the gift. That's smart writing. Cap's first assignment from the U.S. government is to be the centerpiece in a traveling USO show, building morale and raising money for the war effort. Eventually, he finds he's wasting his new abilities and NEEDS to break away on his own to fight the Nazi menace. This brings him to conflict with the awesomely diabolical Red Skull. The Skull is one of Marvel's best crazed villains and they captured that perfectly. Here, the Red Skull was a guinea pig for a similar Nazi super soldier experiment that went very wrong. These clashes and confrontations are everything they should be and more. Shades of gray are great in film (and there are those tones present here) but sometimes it's good to have character of pure heart, pure integrity and true morality take it to what history and everyone knows was pure evil. It's refreshing to sit back and root for the ultimate good to take it to the ultimate bad guys. It's why I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark and it's why I now love this film.

I enjoyed every single minute of this wonderful film!

A wildly entertaining summer adventure

Author: DonFishies from Canada
31 July 2011

Despite going in with incredibly low expectations, I was horrendously disappointed by Thor. It was everything I hoped it would not be, and made me worry about Captain America: The First Avenger. Even with my excitement over that film, Thor's romp through the desert made me incredibly apprehensive to think Cap's adventure would be worthwhile.

After a short modern day intro, we are thrust into wartime in 1940s New York. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) wants to fight for his country -- but has been turned away five times for health ailments and his size. Shortly after another attempt, Rogers is intercepted and quickly chosen for a Super Soldier project the US is quietly developing. He is turned into Captain America, the soldier that will help turn the tides and end the war. But while he is selling war bonds, the German science division HYDRA run by Johann Schmidt, better known as the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving), is gaining more power behind enemy lines. And obviously, Rogers cannot just let that slide.

I will immediately say that Thor does not deserve to breathe the same air as Captain America: The First Avenger. Minutes into the film, you know immediately where Marvel was focusing its attention all along and why Thor felt so undercooked. This film is without a doubt, the best superhero film since the one-two punch of Iron Man and The Dark Knight in 2008. Anyone weary of it being a period piece should rest at ease, as this is one of the most unique entries into the genre to date. The time period only helps bring the characters to life even more vividly than they already are depicted on-screen.

But the reason the origin story works so well is because it is so wildly different than everything that has come before it. Captain America is a movie that feels right at home in the 1940s and transcends itself into the time period. From Rogers' introduction on, Joe Johnston frames the film with a sense of wonder, imagination and authenticity. Much like Inglourious Basterds before it, this is a reconstructed history. But it is done so convincingly that you may second guess yourself, trying to picture whether this very real world is actually what really happened. Johnston also layers the film with an aura of fascination and bewilderment, frequently leaving the audience in the same disbelief as the characters. When Rogers is discovering his new abilities for the first time, we feel the exact same way.

But instead of embracing this astonishing feeling and letting the film breathe life into a genre that is on its last legs, it fumbles and takes us away from it all too quickly. While the first half plays out beautifully, developing the world and its characters, the second half amps up the gas and zips by without a thought for explanation or near sighted investigation. It felt like the filmmakers realized they took too long developing everything, and decided to just rush through the rest without stopping to think whether the audience would notice or not. But once you notice all of the montages, and how there is zero explanation on who the 'Howling Commandoes' are, you know Marvel may have missed out on a few crucial steps along the way of story development.

For the most part, Captain America: The First Avenger is a deeply focused and ridiculously invested story of the origins of an extraordinary soldier who just wants to do his part for his country. Yes, Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) is an important character in the film, but he is the only real tie to the rest of the Marvel film canon. But as the film draws to a close, the tacked on ending starts, and suddenly, Marvel's investment in Cap suddenly turns into just another agenda pushing entry for The Avengers. It is sad and disappointing, but after four films, I should have assumed they would not have suddenly changed tactics.

After playing such a great Johnny Storm, I was worried that Evans would not have the chops, charisma or gravitas needed to play Captain America. Was I ever wrong. He is absolutely flawless in the role, quickly shifting from scrawny weakling to beefy hero with ease. He remains throughout as a boy from Queens, and the look of wonder and awe in his eyes never dissipates. No matter what he is doing, Evans maintains the character, and never even considers becoming anything other than a loyal boy scout. He is a true hero through and through, and watching him in action makes me wonder why it took this long for a good Captain America film to be released.

While his accent is imperfect, Weaving is exquisitely evil as the Red Skull. He is downright disturbing in some instances, and deliciously over-the-top in others. I cannot imagine anyone being as brooding and insanely evil as he is here. Cooper, Sebastian Stan, Toby Jones and Tommy Lee Jones all give excellent performances in their roles. Relative newcomer Hayley Atwell also shines in her role as the hardnosed Peggy Carter. Her subtle romance and chemistry with Evans is magnificent, as are her ability to effortlessly create a strong female lead. Special mention also must go to Stanley Tucci, whose Dr. Abraham Erskine is a welcome departure from his atypical roles as of late.

While it botches any attempts at perfection (and really did not need to be post converted to 3D), Captain America: The First Avenger still manages to be a wildly entertaining adventure that is even more impressive than you may imagine. Evans is amazing in the role, and the whole film is ridiculously pulpy fun. And I dare you to not feel a warm feeling of nostalgia while humming along to the deliriously catchy "Star Spangled Man" propaganda jingle. It makes the film worthwhile all on its own.

8/10.

(An extended review also appeared on http://www.geekspeakmagazine.com).

Near Perfect On Every Level - Great Film!

Author: goblue97nc from United States
18 July 2011

This film delivers a lot of action, an intriguing plot, a tantalizing and beautiful love interest, many humorous moments, powerful messages about internal fortitude and courage, a classic villain, superb acting and many of the basic essentials of any good action movie. Including, incredible stunts, unbelievable feats and, not to be vulgar, but a climax that plays out like a multiple orgasm. The finish features one wave after another of edge of your seat moments. A good summer movie season just got better and I'm not exaggerating one bit. I've read comparisons to Raiders of the Lost Ark and that says it all right there.

I'd have to rate Captain America as Great/Fantastic, one of the best comic book movies ever made. It is as close to a perfect adventure movie as you can get. Superman has generally held the title as most fondly remembered or nostalgic superhero film. Spider-Man has generally held the title as most beloved superhero film because of the character. TDK has generally held the title as most technically sound and highly rated superhero film. Iron Man has generally held the title as best all-around superhero film. Well, Captain America can compete with them all in every category. It is IMO near perfect on every level. It's tight, lean, well acted, fun and superbly done.

The First Avenger

Author: slayerjmk95 from United States
17 July 2011

I was truly lucky to catch a preview screening of Captain America and i am ever so grateful because Cap is without a doubt one of the best Marvel-hero films of all time. Chris Evans was a great choice for Captain America, having his extremely heroic tendencies and his weaknesses (you see them progress from the beginning of the movie). He has no terrible lines and, coming from a comic-book fan, knows how to fill the shoes of a superhero without any real powers, during WWII. Joe Johnston was a fantastic choice as the director, with a pretty good 'track record' behind him (Hidalgo, Jurassic Park III, Jumanji, October Sky). Joe truly knows how to show us a sci-fi story during a historic time period without having any hiccups or mistakes that could bring the movie down greatly.

Captain America is one of the greatest Marvel comic-book adaptations of all time and should not be missed, even if you aren't a comic book fan because Cap has everything any action/adventure movie would have to make it great. Don't miss it 9/10 Stars***

Superb! Fantastical but perfectly balanced by the time period and "greatest generation" setting

Author: peabody from United States
21 July 2011

If there's one major element that truly sets this movie apart from any other standard "solid" comic book movie, it is the way through which the director communicates the experience. We feel for Steve Rogers and fully embrace the character as we go along with him on this amazing ride. This movie isn't about comic book pulp or American propaganda but about a deep and meaningful story. The elements are fantastical but perfectly balanced by the time period and "greatest generation" setting. This visual and emotional imagery is presented throughout the movie and provides the viewer with greater insight into the heroes AND villains. This one screams quality from the opening scene and screams fun all the way through.

For those going into this flick expecting a lot of fun, prepare to enjoy-- although fun's not the only piece of this pie. In fact, I think all movie fans will be stunned at how many levels this movie delivers upon. This is a smart and surprisingly deep film that really delivers everything I wanted to see.

let me help take that 6.8 rating down

Author: jamieeaston57 from New Zealand
16 May 2014

Really? I am generally quite the fan of superhero movies, even the bad ones I try find the good points. But this movie was just all bad, I wonder did all the people who wrote good reviews do so vicariously through the children they went with?

The setting was bizarre, the villain was laughable, if it wasn't enough of a hack to butcher what happened in WW2 throw some futuristic weapons in for additional LOLS. Apparently Tony Stark's dad is in there, I was too busy cringing to notice any character names.

The action is lame, the ending is the worst, the sequences have suspense, just the kind that has you thinking "JUST END ALREADY"

sorry for the poorly articulated review, but bad movies like this don't deserve my good literacy skills.