IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Captain America: The First Avenger
Page 11 of 69: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

An enjoyable movie

Author: msalmank from Pakistan
4 August 2011

I would probably have rated this 6 rather than 7 but it honestly wasn't that bad either. I loved the movie a lot, but i guess expectations were really high and thus i was left a little bit disappointed.

Chris Evans was a surprise as the lead. I was afraid when he was cast as Captain America - Fantastic 4 anyone? But he did justice to the role. However the movie and the overall story left a little bit too much to be desired.

It seems like that the movie's unspoken purpose is to be just an installment for The Avengers and honestly after seeing this, i'm kind of starting to worry if Avengers will hold up to the hype or not!

Red Skull is perhaps one of the worst villains portrayed, but then again, it kind of brings one to reality - fools with powerful toys at their disposal! The movie also got a tad bit too long and kind of looses interest!

One thing that really bugged me - and i know it isn't that big of a deal - but in the end when Captain America wakes up and hears the game on the radio and busts out - So they knew all about Caption America to set up that facade but didn't know such an important tid-bit about exactly when he actually vanished?

Nonetheless, it had its ups and downs and overall i enjoyed it for what it was. Just don't expect "too much" from it and you'll be fine!

most boring ever

Author: didgee7 from Hungary
26 April 2012

Im just watching this movie and Im so bored I chose to write this review to help raise awareness about how bad this movie is and boring and boring and BORING!! impossible to understand for me how they can spend 140.000.000.dollars and eventually waste it all and then give hope for us and cause disappointment not that I was expecting much after all that bad reviews and watching it on sky (its on every day now)little bits and pieces so I had glimpses before and had the feeling its gonna be boring and no surprises on that one ....IT IS SO BBBBBBBBBooOOOOOOORRrrrrRRinggggggggggg..............that I cant finish this movie..this review is boring???????watch the movie then you'll understand.........

Perfect retelling of the Comic

Author: Laura Seabrook from Australia
28 August 2011

I'm highly impressed with this film. Like Thor, the writers have done their research and I think the film captures the character of WWII Cap almost perfectly. Of course some changes have been made to the origin story, but it is essentially intact. The point of a film like this is not to mimic the original comics exactly, but to get across the basic idea and flavour of the stories. What I quite liked about this film was how deftly it wove several Marvel characters and groups together. Not only do we have the Captain fighting the Red Skull (Weaving is perfectly cast) but with the appearance of the Howling Commandos, Agent Carter, and HYDRA. (and their uniform now actually makes sense in a WWII setting).

The look of the film seems just right, and the Nazi hi-tech kit is either based on real designs (in the case of the aircraft) or has the feel of the period. I also liked how we see the Kirby-Simon costume (including patriotic poses which could have been lifted straight off the covers of the comics of the period), and later the Ultimates costume versions. Not only that that but there's at least one scene featuring tricks and hi-jinx on a motorcycle, which is a tip to the otherwise terrible TV show! I loved it.

Got a little Captain in You? SEE THIS MOVIE!

Author: witster18 from United States
25 October 2011

I started writing this review four or five times. I was comparing this movie to The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, and Spiderman. In the end, I realized that one of the few things that Captain America has in common with those movies - is that Captain America is a very good comic based feature film.

It doesn't have the 'look' of the Dark Knight, or the powerhouse performance of Heath Ledger(although Hugo is good), but Captain America has a truckload-full of comic heritage/homage(and style). The action is furious, and the hand-on-hand combat scenes are jaw-droppingly well-done.

The story is totally unbelievable, totally ridiculous, and yet so totally comic-book; exactly what it was supposed to be. But, what really sets this movie apart is the quality and care that went into the feature from top to bottom.

The film isn't as predictable or simplistic as many others in the genre.

Marvel has really polished this 40's hero into something that will appeal to anyone who is going into the theater/movie to be entertained. The film has everything to offer: Action, Comedy, thoughtful computer imaging, well-developed characters, a deep storyline, and complete and total awareness of what a comic-book audience might want out of a movie.

If you don't want to see a story that centers around a dangerous, independent faction of the Gustapo garnering power from unearthly sources, only for the U.S. to harness the same power to create the American fighting machine, only to get revenge, in what still amounts to an American WW2 propaganda campaign enactment - then don't see this movie. That war is over anyway. And if all that nonsense isn't enough for you - then don't worry - there's a lot more, fun 'nonsense' that I left out.

BUT, if you just wanna sit down and put a huge smile on your face for the fastest two hours of this movie-season, then jump aboard this new franchise while it's fresh and hot.

In recent decades we have had many Batman films, many Spiderman films, many Superman films, many hulk films, and 2 Ironman films. When I heard about the development of this project - I was giddy. Months later when the film was released, and after I saw the average trailers, I missed the film at theaters. Thankfully, the wait for the DVD release wouldn't be long.

I went in with moderate expectations. I was aware that the score hovered around 7.0 here on IMDb.

Like many other kids, I grew up liking Captain America. The normal guy dressed in red, white, and blue, yielding a shield that resembled the American flag, riding motorcycles... what's not to like. He was always the coolest of the Marvel characters, and it's fitting that we get to enjoy such a cool and thorough adaptation.

This movie brought all those likable character traits to life and made me proud to be a fan. The retro look added realism to an unrealistic story. This film looks like it might have been made in the 80's, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The films' subject matter and storyline demands open-mindedness from it's audience, but isn't that exactly what we should expect from a comic book film? If you can't put aside those expectations of realism - then you shouldn't see a comic book based film in the first place. Spend your hard earned money on this if you haven't yet, and get blown away from this years' best pure-action film.

Great little surprise! 84/100

You'll like this if you liked:Batman('89), Ironman, Superman('78), Superman 2('80),Rocketeer, and The Punisher('04).

Somehow, with all it's action and storytelling, Captain America also successfully and seamlessly serves as the major platform for the upcoming Avengers project.

P.S. I liked Thor, but I LOVED this.

Thanks for reading, and I sincerely hope you enjoy the movie.

The Cap doesn't disappoint

Author: anifanmc from United States
31 July 2011

The Marvel Cinematic Universe can do no wrong, it seems--with nearly every film release closer to their Avengers extravaganza, we get a new style of storytelling which seems to show just how diverse the universe really is. With Iron Man, we get a balls-out action flick with glitz, glam, and some great character. With The Incredible Hulk, we got a taste of a genuine love story. In Thor, we got a fantasy epic which took an old story and made it incredibly new. And finally, Captain America takes classic war movies like Patton, adventure movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, and superhero films, and puts together an amazing amalgam which works well.

The story is one of the oldest in comic book history but they manage to distill it down to its core for the uninitiated: Steve Rogers, a puny kid from Brooklyn, wants so badly to join the army to fight evil and serve his country, but keeps getting turned down because of his laundry list of medical problems and his stature. Eventually he captures the eye of Dr. Abraham Erskine, a German defector who was horrified with Hitler's rise to power, and he becomes the test subject for a super-soldier serum that augments Rogers' strength - not just physically, but emotionally, building upon his inherently good character. This forms the core of the movie, as Erskine repeatedly states that no matter what Rogers becomes, he should "stay a good man". And he does. He eventually comes head to head with the Red Skull, the head of the Nazi science division, Hydra, who has ambitions of his own to take over the world using a device he calls the "Tesseract" (which most comic book fans might recognize as the infamous Cosmic Cube!).

The movie itself is written and directed beautifully. It doesn't rely on the superhero clichés of the guy who falls from grace or has some sort of personal problems, and then has to work to overcome them or become humbled. Thor in this respect, despite its originality, was very much a typical comic book film. The Cap isn't full of personal problems - sure he's a weakling at first, but what matters most is his convictions and his character, and that's what shines throughout the movie. Repeated scenes in the movie showcase this and really allow us to see what makes the Cap unique. Is he perfect? Well, he has trouble talking to women, sure. But he's not tempted by evil, greed, or selfishness.

More than anything, I love how this movie starts to really tie the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe together. We meet Howard Stark, the father of Tony Stark, with his Howard Hughes-esque personality. The Cosmic Cube is a gift to mankind from Odin, and the various references to Yggdrasil, the Nine Realms, etc tie in the cosmic mythos built up in Thor. And at the end... without giving away too much... we finally see SHIELD enter the picture.

This movie is worth your money at the theaters. 9/10.

Top notch entertainment

Author: jcillini88 from United States
30 July 2011

This summer has been, without a doubt, a summer dominated by super heroes. Marvel had three films this summer and all were significantly better than DC's Green Lantern. Captain America is the last origin film before the Avengers comes out next summer. All of the origin films (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor and now Captain America) have been top notch films.

Captain America had high expectations. Not only is he one of DC's most popular super heroes, he is one that most people, whether they are a fan or not are familiar with; especially if they live in the U.S. Not to mention that all of the other Avenger origin films were great. Many people when looking at Joe Johnston's track record were concerned. Most of his films, though not terrible, were not on par with the likes of Thor, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Chris Evans also raised eye brows as the choice to play Captain America. He formerly starred in the Fantastic Four films, which were probably the worst in the Marvel canon thus far. Chris Evans was not terrible in that film, but he certainly was not great.

With all of this playing against it Captain America managed to go above and beyond what most were likely expecting. First, Chris Evans was great as Captain America. He made the character connect with audiences and also captured the spirit of Captain America. It also helped that Joe Johnston did an excellent job directing. Evans also had an all star cast behind him, including Stanley Tucci, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving and Hayley Atwell, who did an excellent job as Peggy Carter.

There is a lot of good things in this film. First and foremost the story is good and easy to follow. They made a good decision to make this a period film set in the midst of WWII. Second, as I have already mentioned the acting was great. Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell did a great job. Their was real chemistry between the two and at the end of the film you care about both of them. Their love story was much better than the love story in the other Avenger films. The effects, for the most part were great, as was the the 3D.

Despite this movies strengths there was some cringe worthy dialogue and some poorly delivered lines. Some of the effects were lacking, though none as bad as the effects in Harry Potter when they found the horcruxe in the room of requirement (it literally looked like they were flying in front of a movie screen).

I don't want to go too much more in depth. Basically see the movie. It is a great movie. It will be one of the best times you have at the theaters all summer.

worst 2 hours of my life

Author: Dubravko Pavlovic from Croatia
15 May 2012

you know, i've seen many sci-fi movies. and many of those made just for children.. but this movie is made for retards.. my only regret is that i can't give it a 0 out of 10 score..

storyline is just terrible, and completely pro American. i my self have got nothing against USA, so i think that i do have some objectivity, unlike people that vote this to 6.8 average score.. i mean, come on...

this movie's budget was $ 140,000,000.00?? Jesus Christ!!! And for 140 millions you made this ... god, i cant even call it a movie..

WORST 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE... i wish i could get them back..... Santa? you can make it my Christmas present.. :) i promise i'll be good...

Cap'n USA is out with a bang

Author: BikramjeetGrish from Bundelkhand Region
29 January 2012

It is a gibberish and just showcasing of US supremacy. I would not call this film belongs to Sci-fi action genre... Rather it is a political venture created very sagaciously to devour our precious time and money.

Even before watching this movie, I knew that this is a copy of 'Mr India', still I went to see, because I had faith and respect for Stan "the Man" Lee.

After watching this movie, I realized that this is one of the worst movie I have ever seen. The whole plot looks confused and inappropriate. I didn't want to condemn this movie, but since this movie is so bad and stupid, I can't hold myself.

For Stan Lee: Dear Stan, what are you doing? You are not made for this? C'on, I mean after giving so many sensible movies, what happened to your choice? You have even come up as an excellent comic book empire magnate, then how didn't you notice what was happening while making this movie? Please, there are people (including me) who still love and respect you. Don't spoil your image by making senseless movies like this.

For Director: Dear whosoever, please grow up, and start making some sensible movies. You may have kiddo fantasies, but please stop making people suffer because of your fancies.

For movie: This movie seems to be lost from the very beginning. And many illogical stupid plots. A hero who loves to handle case on his own, and goes everywhere alone.

It is a sham .The trailers allured us to go to the cinema halls and visualize a cinematographic extravaganza, yes to some extent I am content in that department but I am very very disappointed with the story-line and the acting..

Watch the movie only if u are in so good mood that u want to re-adjust it a bit.

One of the Best Comic Book Hero Film Adaptations

Author: gradyharp from United States
26 October 2011

CAPTAIN America succeeds on so many levels that it is difficult to list them all. But perhaps one of the most refreshing aspects of this film is that it treats the story in a time frame (WW II) that makes the 'supernatural heroes and villains' seem like operatically overstated normal people. Opening the film with the superhero as a skinny nerdy but ethical and committed to do good kid and then see him transform into the hero of heroes who for once is doing good things because he cares about his fellowmen and his country makes for a feel good experience. Dapple that with some old-fashioned 1940s Rockettes type dance sequences and keep the 'impossible gimmicks' down to a level of near credibility and you have a winner.

Quick, borrowed plot outline: 'It is 1942, America has entered World War II, and sickly but determined Steve Rogers is frustrated at being rejected yet again for military service. Everything changes when Dr. Erksine recruits him for the secret Project Rebirth. Proving his extraordinary courage, wits and conscience, Rogers undergoes the experiment and his weak body is suddenly enhanced into the maximum human potential. When Dr. Erksine is then immediately assassinated by an agent of Nazi Germany's head of its secret HYDRA research department, Johann Schmidt aka the Red Skull, Rogers is left as a unique man who is initially misused as a propaganda mascot. However, when his comrades need him, Rogers goes on a successful adventure that truly makes him Captain America and his war against Schmidt begins.' And that about says it all.

Now, populate this story with a cast of first rate actors - Chris Evans as the magnificent Adonis built Steve Rogers/Captain America, Stanley Tucci as Dr Erskine, Hayley Atwell as the sole 'love interest' Peggy Carter (Natalie Dormer does have a few seconds of screen time, too), Tommy Lee Jones as the military guy in charge, Sebastian Stan as Steve's best buddy, Dominic Cooper (a good guy), and a set of villains starting with Hugo Weaving as Red Skull, Toby Jones as Dr.Zola, Richard Armitage as Heinz Kruger and then fill in the spare parts with the likes of Samuel L. Jackson, Neal McDonough, Derek Luke, Kenneth Choi, JJ Feild, Bruno Ricci, Michael Brandon, Martin Sherman etc and the results are almost guaranteed to be good.

Joe Johnston directs the film in a propulsive fashion that takes time out for some humanity amid all the military derring-do and allows just the right amount of sarcasm and humor (courtesy the screenplay by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely) and it all comes out 'just swell'. A terrific night's entertainment!

Grady Harp

Shifting Interiors

Author: tedg ( from Virginia Beach
18 October 2011

It just doesn't make any sense to me, how consistently bad Marvel's films are. Perhaps someone who loves the comics can be transported out of the movie into some well established fantasy world. In that case, all you need are a few cues.

But they just don't connect with me, with the exception of just a few set pieces. There's one here toward the end, where the two masters finally fight it out. It happens in a Nazi plane powered by an occult force, patterned after the much maligned Northrop Flying Wing. But the plane changes scale up and down ranging from roughly normal size to more than a magnitude larger.

The bashing and gnashing is ordinary but the art design of this scene is pretty good. The camera moves in extraordinary ways as the plane careens. It mimics That scene in 'Mr Arkadin' where Welles' character kills a prostitute because she might know something.

The environment shifts and the camera as well in a syncopated fashion. Knowing the history of that Northrop design adds to the case; it had control problems that had to wait for computerized control systems that enabled the B2 bomber. Reagan got behind it based on his belief in magic, the presentation coordinated with dates determined by Nancy's stars. Great to see that magic here, with the villain speaking precisely like Werner Herzog.

Otherwise, not a single redeeming feature.