IMDb > Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 61:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

The First Avenger ends the Avenger tie in movies nicely

Author: Kevin Miller from United States
4 August 2011

I knew nothing about Captain America prior to viewing this Marvel film. Many people were skeptical about Chris Evans being cast as the man in red, white, and blue mainly because he is previously known for playing Johnny Storm in the not so fantastic Fantastic Four movies. Despite, the fact that he had a lot of pressure going into this film, I thought he did a fare job. I personally don't think this was the best Avengers tie in movie but it was fine. The first half of the movie did a very good job of establishing the story behind the creation of this man and how he was initially just an experiment and then turned into a propaganda piece for the war in order to excite people and inspire them to fight the fight. Afterward, when he finally does take initiative and attempts to infiltrate and destroy the enemy, the movie turns into a pretty standard and generic action movie. Hugo Weaving is cast as the villain known in the comics as the Red Skull. Despite a good looking face (a red face), he never really becomes too menacing and isn't given enough screen time as the red skull to really effect us. Tommy Lee Jones is in his realm as an army commander who is in charge of operations including Rogers and is very funny as well as delivering the lines extremely well. Speaking of lines, this movie doesn't have the best or worst script and I think they (the writers) could have spent more time developing better dialogue that didn't sound so rushed. Director Joe Johnston who is know for The Rocketeer brings the 1940s World War feeling to the screen brilliantly and with great set designers and art direction. Tony Starks father plays a fairly significant role as the man behind the suit and weapons of the Captain. Played by Dominic Cooper, we get an inside look at how Stark got his attitude and knack for building new technology. The 3D added nothing, which is not unusual nowadays. The only time it was ever apparent was when the shield was thrown towards the screen which happened maybe twice. This movie does a nice job of finishing the tie in movie for the upcoming epic Avengers movie die to release next year. My only hope is that all of this build up with the individual super hero movies is not wasted. This is worth a rental and I will probably buy this on blu-ray when the price is greatly reduced.

An awesome installment as we wait for The Avengers to assemble!

Author: hurricanemania from United States
16 July 2011

I had the pleasure of watching a sneak preview for this and thought it was a great superhero movie. It follows the "superhero formula" but that's to be expected. There are plenty of references to the comics as well as the other Marvel movies. There are numerous comic book references and foreshadowing that I probably can't even write here but will excite most of the comic book fans. In fact, Howard Stark plays a prominent role in this film and you see where Tony Stark gets his charm.

The movie really captures that patriotic spirit that permeated the US during WW2. The movie itself almost becomes like one of those military recruitment ads it showcases. It is chock full of flag-waving patriotism. But you probably should expect that going to a movie called "Captain America."

Chris Evans is a good Captain America and downplays any flashiness associated with him as the Human Torch. The CGI effects that show him as a scrawny twig were seamless. He carries that vulnerability with him throughout the film whether he is getting beaten up physically or emotionally.

The rest of the cast fills their roles well- especially Tommy Lee Jones as the gruff, but lovable, colonel and Hugo Weaving as the evil baddie bent on wold domination. Those two play their characters the way you would expect them to. Although I was waiting the whole time for Hugo Weaving to say "Mr. Anderson." The only odd twist is that Captain America's sidekick from the comics, Bucky Barnes, is much tougher and older than you'd expect.

There are numerous one-liners throughout the movie that drew chuckles from the audience. You also get plenty of action and explosions which are always a crowd favorite. Stylistically, it's very similar to Iron Man. Overall, it's a fun comic book adaptation that really adds into steam Marvel is building up to with The Avengers. Nice work.

Very enjoyable

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
5 August 2011

This summer of 2011 has certainly been a summer for super-hero movies, with the one I have been least looking forward to coming last. And, if not the best, it is as good as the best. In fact, my only real reservation derives from the fact that Captain America has never been a character which does very much for me (and, even after the movie, which I enjoyed immensely, he still doesn't).

The story is familiar to comic fans - weedy Steve Rogers is transformed by a super serum into enhanced Captain America, who pursues super-Nazi the Red Skull.

I very much liked the period setting, which gave this film a feel which is quite different to the other super-hero movies (even the 60s-based X-Men: First Class felt fairly contemporary), and all the principals gave excellent performances.. The action and effects all worked well (particularly the transformation of Chris Evans into the scrawny pre-serum Steve Rogers), and I suspect that there were lots of nice touches which meant a lot to those more familiar with the comics mythology of Cap than I am (I got a flavour from time to time that others might know who so-and-so was, but I didn't).

As well as the big picture, there were lots of small touches I liked - the early incarnations of the shield, the use of the first comics costume, the establishment of Steve Rogers as a bona fide hero even when he was a skinny weed, for instance. But the thing I liked most about this film (and, to some extent, it contrasts with many other super-hero movies) is the fact that much of what happened in this film really mattered, both on a big scale and also on a more intimate level. Joe Johnston did a very good job in making every element of this film work together.

I am looking forward to seeing the The Avengers next year, and I hope Joss Whedon does as good a job as Johnston.

A wildly entertaining summer adventure

Author: DonFishies from Canada
31 July 2011

Despite going in with incredibly low expectations, I was horrendously disappointed by Thor. It was everything I hoped it would not be, and made me worry about Captain America: The First Avenger. Even with my excitement over that film, Thor's romp through the desert made me incredibly apprehensive to think Cap's adventure would be worthwhile.

After a short modern day intro, we are thrust into wartime in 1940s New York. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) wants to fight for his country -- but has been turned away five times for health ailments and his size. Shortly after another attempt, Rogers is intercepted and quickly chosen for a Super Soldier project the US is quietly developing. He is turned into Captain America, the soldier that will help turn the tides and end the war. But while he is selling war bonds, the German science division HYDRA run by Johann Schmidt, better known as the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving), is gaining more power behind enemy lines. And obviously, Rogers cannot just let that slide.

I will immediately say that Thor does not deserve to breathe the same air as Captain America: The First Avenger. Minutes into the film, you know immediately where Marvel was focusing its attention all along and why Thor felt so undercooked. This film is without a doubt, the best superhero film since the one-two punch of Iron Man and The Dark Knight in 2008. Anyone weary of it being a period piece should rest at ease, as this is one of the most unique entries into the genre to date. The time period only helps bring the characters to life even more vividly than they already are depicted on-screen.

But the reason the origin story works so well is because it is so wildly different than everything that has come before it. Captain America is a movie that feels right at home in the 1940s and transcends itself into the time period. From Rogers' introduction on, Joe Johnston frames the film with a sense of wonder, imagination and authenticity. Much like Inglourious Basterds before it, this is a reconstructed history. But it is done so convincingly that you may second guess yourself, trying to picture whether this very real world is actually what really happened. Johnston also layers the film with an aura of fascination and bewilderment, frequently leaving the audience in the same disbelief as the characters. When Rogers is discovering his new abilities for the first time, we feel the exact same way.

But instead of embracing this astonishing feeling and letting the film breathe life into a genre that is on its last legs, it fumbles and takes us away from it all too quickly. While the first half plays out beautifully, developing the world and its characters, the second half amps up the gas and zips by without a thought for explanation or near sighted investigation. It felt like the filmmakers realized they took too long developing everything, and decided to just rush through the rest without stopping to think whether the audience would notice or not. But once you notice all of the montages, and how there is zero explanation on who the 'Howling Commandoes' are, you know Marvel may have missed out on a few crucial steps along the way of story development.

For the most part, Captain America: The First Avenger is a deeply focused and ridiculously invested story of the origins of an extraordinary soldier who just wants to do his part for his country. Yes, Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) is an important character in the film, but he is the only real tie to the rest of the Marvel film canon. But as the film draws to a close, the tacked on ending starts, and suddenly, Marvel's investment in Cap suddenly turns into just another agenda pushing entry for The Avengers. It is sad and disappointing, but after four films, I should have assumed they would not have suddenly changed tactics.

After playing such a great Johnny Storm, I was worried that Evans would not have the chops, charisma or gravitas needed to play Captain America. Was I ever wrong. He is absolutely flawless in the role, quickly shifting from scrawny weakling to beefy hero with ease. He remains throughout as a boy from Queens, and the look of wonder and awe in his eyes never dissipates. No matter what he is doing, Evans maintains the character, and never even considers becoming anything other than a loyal boy scout. He is a true hero through and through, and watching him in action makes me wonder why it took this long for a good Captain America film to be released.

While his accent is imperfect, Weaving is exquisitely evil as the Red Skull. He is downright disturbing in some instances, and deliciously over-the-top in others. I cannot imagine anyone being as brooding and insanely evil as he is here. Cooper, Sebastian Stan, Toby Jones and Tommy Lee Jones all give excellent performances in their roles. Relative newcomer Hayley Atwell also shines in her role as the hardnosed Peggy Carter. Her subtle romance and chemistry with Evans is magnificent, as are her ability to effortlessly create a strong female lead. Special mention also must go to Stanley Tucci, whose Dr. Abraham Erskine is a welcome departure from his atypical roles as of late.

While it botches any attempts at perfection (and really did not need to be post converted to 3D), Captain America: The First Avenger still manages to be a wildly entertaining adventure that is even more impressive than you may imagine. Evans is amazing in the role, and the whole film is ridiculously pulpy fun. And I dare you to not feel a warm feeling of nostalgia while humming along to the deliriously catchy "Star Spangled Man" propaganda jingle. It makes the film worthwhile all on its own.

8/10.

(An extended review also appeared on http://www.geekspeakmagazine.com).

Really good, like every other Marvel film

Author: chase-valleau from United States
14 August 2011

I really liked this movie. Saw it last night and I really enjoyed the way they portrayed a superhero that doesn't have any powers. Captain America is not really a superhero, just a super soldier, he doesn't get tired and he heals extremely quick. The acting was very good, what with all the big names in there, and there is always the humor that is enjoyed throughout these Marvel films. Some stuff was unnecessary, like the way they have Captain America just go and be an idol and people not think he can do anything. But I really liked it, and I would recommend it to everybody who likes any of the Marvel films. Anybody who can't stand these films like Spider-man or Iron Man, really shouldn't expect anything more than another superhero movie.

Captain America has star spangled Action

Author: C. Sean Currie (hypestyle) from detroit, MI
11 August 2011

Captain America has Star Spangled Action

Captain America: The First Avenger is the first major motion picture based on the venerable Marvel Comics superhero character that first debuted in print over 70 years ago. Since then, there have been largely forgettable cross-media interpretations, including a 1940s movie serial and an aborted attempt at a television series in the late 70s that left two television films in its wake. With the power of Marvel Studios (now wholly owned by Disney and partnering with Paramount Films for distribution), Marvel attempts to return the luster to its onetime flagship hero that matches his mighty shield.

Here, Chris Evans (Fantastic Four, Cellular) plays heroic shrimp Steve Rogers, who in 1942 wants to enlist in the military but is determined to be a 4-F. Still, the little guy has heart, as displayed when he keeps confronting local bully. His gumption impresses military scientist Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci) and gruff Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones). They put him through the paces of boot camp, and finally reveal that he's the perfect test subject for their 'super soldier serum'—if it works (this shouldn't be a spoiler) then Steve's musculature and reflexes will be boosted to virtual perfection.

Alas, the experiment's aftermath has a tragic end, which poises newly buff Steve to be the sole super-soldier for the Allied Forces—thus, 'Captain America' is born. Soon, he is pitted against the nefarious Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving), aka the Red Skull—an ambitious Nazi scientist who heads up 'Hydra', a super-science-weapons division of the Nazi army. Schmidt searches for an ancient artifact of power, called the 'tesseract', allegedly giving its wielder the power of the Nordic gods themselves. Heady stuff, this.

The film's remaining supporting cast is capable, including Sebastian Stan as Cap's best friend Bucky Barnes and Hayley Atwell as British agent (and nominal love interest) Peggy Carter. The script, credited to Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, features an anti-ironic sensibility here, being fairly straightforward in its depiction of patriotism and earnest heroism as exemplified by Cap. This could have easily diverted into self-satire or camp, but the filmmakers, including director Joe Johnston (Jurassic Park 3, the Rocketeer), wisely avoid this.

Presumably to keep its comic-book-reality credentials intact, the movie plays fast and loose with the fictional history it represents (the Red Skull's Hydra troops feature no swastika iconography, and Cap's Howling Commandos team is racially integrated without a blink.) Still, the period designs are convincing enough, including a nod to Frankenstein with the Super Soldier laboratory.

Captain America is poised to be the first in a franchise of solo adventures as well as the introduction to the character's featured role in next year's The Avengers. Time will tell whether Cap regains his former fan-favorite glory: his stalwart shtick may seem quaint compared to brooding avengers like Batman and Wolverine. Still, the film gets enough right to stand out from the crowd and in a time of political contention provides plenty of flag-friendly good will.

Utilitarian use of CGI and thoughtful story make this a don't miss movie

Author: Greg Smith from Richmond, VA
29 July 2011

ONE LINE REVIEW : Utilitarian use of CGI and thoughtful story make this a don't miss movie RATING : See it in theaters (Rating scale : "See it in theaters", "Wait for the instant download", "Don't waste your time")

NO SPOILERS

Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) is a 98-pound weakling who wants nothing more than to kick some Nazi butt. He goes to every recruiting station in Brooklyn to get accepted and keeps getting turned down. On top of that, he is the neighborhood punching bag, constantly getting into scrapes with bullies bigger than him. And that is what drives Steve - he hates bullies and there are no bullies bigger than the Nazis.

He finally happens upon a special recruiting drive where a scientist (Stanley Tucci) is looking for someone with Steve's kind of guts. But tough-as-nails Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) is more than dubious and runs Steve ragged in basic training. But Steve's kind heart and determination make him the perfect personality for an injection that turns him into a super-strong Captain America.

It turns out that the Nazis aren't the biggest bullies on the block. No, it's Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) who is just using the Nazi platform as a way of taking over the world. All the players are set and we're off as Captain America goes into battle with the forces of evil.

This movie is the beginning of the Avengers series and we're no doubt going to see more of the classic Avengers from Marvel comics in coming years.

It is set in the 1940's during the second world war and the costuming and period sets are excellent. I really felt drawn into this world. However it's a sort of bizarro world where Nazis really don't show up that much and Red Skull's "Hydra" forces are everywhere.

And speaking of Red Skull - Hugo Weaving is amazing. Not just for his delivery and persona. But for being the best actor behind a mask since Michael Keeton's Batman. Weaving was the man behind the mask in "V for Vendetta" where he delivered the entire movie wearing a Guy Faulks mask. Here, he uses his flesh-and-blood face for the first third of the film and then pulls that off to reveal his Red Skull face. And still delivers a flawless intensity that he has brought to every other role he's plays since Agent Smith in "The Matrix". The man can do no wrong.

Chris Evans starts out the movie looking very frail and sickly. But once he undergoes the special treatment, he is one buff dude. I haven't spent any time trying to puzzle out the CGI magic that makes this possible, but it is impressive. I'd swear there were two actors in the role. Otherwise Evans is a pretty bland character. But he has all the golly-gee-whiz Mom-and-apple pie look and delivery that makes Captain America believable.

I said of "Green Lantern" that is was the perfect super-hero movie. I may have to take that back, because Captain America raised the bar higher. The writers took their time building the character of feeble- Steve. Then they took their time building the character of buff- Steve/Captain America. All the while defining the evil villain, creating relationships between Steve and love interest Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), and Colonel Phillips, and buddy 'Bucky' Barnes (Sebastian Stan). Unfortunately, they spent little time defining the relationships between Cap'n America and his team - but hey - it's only a 2-hour movie.

The pacing was quite steady. I never felt bored and I never felt overwhelmed with last-minute plot devices. Except for one - Red Skull has this amazing technology and they really didn't explain where it came from (other than a reference at the beginning of the film where Weaving's character finds a glowing cube in some Egyptian ruins). The movie has a sort of steam-punk feel to it that I enjoyed.

So, for it's big effects - used in just the right amount. And a story well-told, taking the time to tell it well, I gave Captain America a rating of "See it in the theaters".

BTW: I saw it in 3-d which some reviewers have complained results in dark images. I enjoyed it in Real-3D and found the light levels to be just fine.

Red, White, and Blue!!!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
1 August 2011

"Rocketeer" director Joe Johnston's "Captain America" amounts to a timeless David versus Goliath tale set in the Marvel Comics' universe where good always trumps evil. Unlike "Thor" and "Green Lantern," "Captain America" ranks as a thoroughly spectacular but larger-than-life extravaganza with a genuinely charismatic hero struggling against a marvelously malignant villain. Chris Evans' engaging performance as the 'First Avenger' is something else, too! If you recall, Evans had the time of his life several years ago playing egotistical Johnny Storm, aka 'the Human Torch,' in the two "Fantastic Four" flicks. Make no mistake; Evans is nothing like he was in those two super heroic sagas. Indeed, "Captain America" boasts some amazing special effects, but its best special effect is the sincerity that Evans brings to the role of Steve Rogers. Whether he plays Rogers as either a scrawny, 98-pound zero or a brawny, fleet-footed hero, Evans imparts heart to this $140-million thriller. During the first half of "Captain America," Johnston gradually builds the momentum to let us grow accustomed to Evans as a scrappy little fellow who suffers the wrath of bullies. This pathetic weakling refuses to let anybody keep him down, and it's fun because Evans makes it look so authentic despite the obvious CGI effects. Hugo Weaving registers as the ideal villain who holds the upper hand throughout most of the supercharged shenanigans. Tommy Lee Jones and Hayley Atwell co-star respectively as Captain America's superior and his love interest.

"Captain America" opens in the present before it reverts to the past. Typically, movies with contemporary openings and endings sacrifice any sense of suspense. After all, you know if the characters thrive in the present that they must not have suffered in the past. Basically, this constitutes nothing more than a narrative cinematic convention. The chief difference here is that we're only given a glimpse of Captain America's legendary star-spangled shield instead of the eponymous protagonist himself. Anyway, the film unfolds in the frozen wasteland of the Arctic Circle as a Russian oil expedition stumbles onto something buried in the ice. They contact the Americans who slice into the ice with a laser, find a commodious craft of unknown origin, and uncover a circular red, white, and blue shield with a star. The scene shifts to March 1942 as despicable Nazi officer Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving of "The Matrix") and his men storm into Tønsberg, Norway, and confiscate an enigmatic tesseract. Essentially, this is a magical cube boasting incalculable power. Supposedly, the tesseract was a fabulous jeweled artifact that belonged to the legendary Norse god Odin. Once anybody lays their eyes on it, they are no longer the same. Meanwhile, in New York City, the U.S. military brands Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) unfit for duty owing to a myriad of health problems. The resilient Rogers tries to enlist again when his buddy James Buchanan 'Bucky' Barnes (Sebastian Stan of "Black Swan") takes him to a showcase of futuristic technologies. Dr. Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci of "Easy A") eavesdrops on Rogers' conversation with Barnes about his desperate need to get into combat. Suitably impressed by Rogers' attitude, Erskine allows him to enlist. Moreover, Erskine recruits Rogers as part of a "super-soldier" experiment under the aegis of Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones of "Coal Miner's Daughter") and Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell of "The Duchess"). Phillips displays considerable skepticism about Erskine's contention that Rogers qualifies as the ideal candidate for the procedure. One day during a training exercise, Phillips lobs a grenade among the recruits. Everybody but Rogers scrambles for cover, while he smothers the grenade with his frail body. Predictably, the grenade is a dummy, but Rogers' act of self-sacrificing bravery convinces the colonel that he is the appropriate choice.

No sooner has Rogers emerged from the procedure as an entirely new man with a buffed up body than a Nazi saboteur steps in and kills Erskine. As it turns out, Erskine keep no notes except those in his head. After Erskine dies, Rogers experiences his new-found strength and captures the saboteur. The saboteur lives long enough to warn Rogers that he has to face more of his kind before he crunches on a cyanide capsule and croaks. Roger wins fame and acclaim across the country, but he suffers a setback because he is the first and only of his kind. Colonel Phillips reassigns him and Roger ends up at War Bond rallies where he acts like a cheerleader surrounded by dancing girls. Eventually, when our hero learns that his best friend has been caught, he disobeys orders and leads an inspirational rescue behind enemy lines. Now that Rogers has proved himself, he must face the Red Skull. The Red Skull is Nazi officer Johann Schmidt and he is so ambitious that he not only wants to crush America but also Adolf Hitler. Talk about a villain to end all villains! Anybody who has read the reprints of the World War 2 era "Captain America" comic book should be thrilled with the way that "The Chronicles of Narnia" scenarists Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely have handled the original material by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. Of course, Johnston and his scribes have ratcheted up the hardware for the big transformation scene that turns Steve Rodgers into Captain America.

Altogether, "Captain America" is a predictable but entertaining comic book movie with sensational special effects and a sympathetic hero. If you are a Marvel Comic fan, you should stick around after the lengthy end credits for a glimpse of the forthcoming "Avengers" film due for release in May 2012.

A great, old-fashioned adventure that towers above its flaws.

Author: Hardwicke Benthow from United States
26 October 2011

As there's something about the the 1930s-1940s that appeals to me, I tend to prefer movies set in the era and made in its cinematic style. And being fond of the adventure genre, I anticipate movies like the Indiana Jones trilogy, "The Rocketeer", "Sky Captain And the World of Tomorrow", "The Mummy" (1999) and, of course, "Captain America".

When I first heard about this movie, my expectations soared. The director was Joe Johnston, who made my favorite superhero movie, "The Rocketeer". It was set during WWII, made in a 1940s style, and scored by Alan Silvestri. Alas, my heart sank after I found out that they were going to do the whole frozen alive storyline I've always hated. But, I reasoned, the only reason they are making it is because of "The Avengers". Without that storyline, they wouldn't even be making it. Beggars can't be choosers.

Well, after two years of waiting, I got to see the movie. And to my surprise, it surpassed my high expectations. I didn't even hate the ending, although I would have much preferred a happier one more in line with the original 1940s comics (in which Cap stays in his own era, then fights commies in the 1950s). So, here are my thoughts on the movie.

Acting.

Chris Evans was great as Captain America. He nailed the character. After watching him as Captain America, I can't see anyone else in the role. The special effects performed on him to make him look skinny for the first part of the movie were absolutely seamless. If I hadn't known about them, I wouldn't have been able to tell they were there. But those effects would not have looked nearly so great if it had not been for Evans convincingly "acting skinny". No matter what condition Steve Rogers is in, shrimp or super soldier, Chris Evans portrayed him flawlessly.

It was refreshing to see a non-angsty, pure-hearted hero for the first time in a while. Instead of portraying Cap with irony or satire, they took him seriously, and it really payed off. Cap, despite (or because of) his delightful simplicity and earnestness, comes across as incredibly deep and human, proving once again that the notion of the old-fashioned hero being inferior to his modern antihero counterpart is merely a haughty assumption.

Hugo Weaving's Red Skull was effectively menacing, darkly humorous, and overall deliciously like an old-fashioned serial villain. Haley Atwell was charming, feisty and classically beautiful as Peggy Carter. Stanley Tucci's Dr. Erskine was played to perfection, Tommy Lee Jones was a scene-stealer of the highest order, Toby Jones was very memorable as a sympathetic, almost lovable Arnim Zola, Richard Armitage was effectively despicable, Dominic Cooper was good as Howard Stark, and Neal McDonough made his presence known despite very little screen time. Sebastion Stan was also quite good as Bucky, although he wasn't quite as memorable as many of the others.

Visuals and Action.

My feelings on the visuals are mixed. I was hoping for a bit more of a photo-realistic feel, but it instead looks a bit too much like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" (a movie whose visuals I like very much, but would prefer to be a novelty, not the norm). That said, the use of wide lenses did help make it look more real than many other movies with such massive amounts of CGI. The color in many scenes is quite good, or at least by today's standards. I did dislike the muted color used in some of the winter scenes, though. I wish they had gone for more of a Technicolor look, but I'm pretty satisfied with the look of the movie, except for the winter scenes.

I didn't like the action montage too much, as it had some slow-motion effects, as well as giving off a feeling that you're being cheated out of some scenes. I also thought that the motorcycle-chase felt somewhat rushed. Other than that, however, I did like most of the action scenes. The Kruger chase, Cap's first mission, and the final fight with Red Skull were standouts.

I would have preferred that the HYDRA soldiers' uniforms look a bit more Nazi-like, but the look they have works well. Red Skull doesn't care about them as individuals. He is the Hydra, and they are merely his many identical heads. Thus, their faceless, almost robotic look works very well.

Music.

Silvestri's score is the best superhero score in years. His main theme unfortunately doesn't have the "flow" that some of his better works do, and seems a little clunky at first. But after you hear it a few times, it grows on you. It's now stuck in my head. Overall, Silvestri's score hits all the right notes, and captures menace, adventure, and every other mood required of it, while having actual themes. Media Ventures, eat your collective heart out.

Writing.

The humor was great throughout. The levels of "heart" were set to maximum. The romance, although sparse, was memorable. Everything was portrayed swiftly, without padding, The plot was very well thought out. Memorable lines and scenes abound. Overall, the writing was excellent. Some things that I particularly liked were Steve's journey from shrimp to super-soldier, the USO scene, Cap's first mission, the role-reversal with Bucky, and the romance. I also liked how Red Skull was his own boss. It gave him more menace. Plus, using HYDRA ironically makes it feel more historically accurate. Having Captain America defeat the Nazis would mess with history too much, and having him lose to them just wouldn't do. All I really disliked were Bucky's death and Captain America getting frozen alive. That could work well in some movies, but a 1940s-style adventure of this sort just cries out for a happy ending. Plus, the modern-day bookends detract from the overall atmosphere. Still, the final scenes were poignant, although out-of-place.

9/10.

This is what the Cap Should be!

Author: knighteagle-111-219559 from United States
7 August 2011

OK I've read a lot of reviews which complain about the lack of powerful opponents for Captain America in this movie. Well that's just the point, Captain America was the great super soldier of the 40's from a time when Mutants were unheard of, and the ones that were around were trying to keep their heads low. So of course Captain America can lay waste to the Nazis, and if the Red Skull didn't run away at their first meeting (not many as stated in another review) Than the movie would have ended very quickly.

Another thing that I think many people and even more from the younger generations seem to miss. Captain America was never about the power he possessed. So those wanting to see lasers shooting out of robotic hands or eyes, or any other part of the human body, of course are going to be disappointed. Captain America was always more of a symbol of good vs evil and how the underdog can become a hero. As is I think the energy weapons that were in the film were a bit of overkill.

Captain America's origins were for a different age, and I for one am glad they kept it as authentic as they did. Those that are just looking for flashy light effects, over inflated super-egos and a host of arrogant one-liners should check out the sequel which in keeping with the finest tradition of modern movies promises all of the above.

Page 2 of 61:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]