IMDb > "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A Surprisingly Soulful Cash-In

Author: OttoVonB from Switzerland
26 March 2014

4.06 billion. Try to visualize the number, try hard. That's the amount Disney bought Lucasfilm for in 2012. That' should give you an idea not just of what all Star Wars-related products past are worth, but all those still to come (and let's not forget the not-insignificant property that is Indiana Jones). That number is also a testament to how unshakable the filmgoing public's belief has remained in George Lucas' galaxy far, far away.

Build it (with a big fat Star Wars logo on it) and we will come. We're largely forgiven for being this loyal and enthusiastic back in 1999, when the prequels began screening around the world, and decreasingly so as years went by. George Lucas the writer finally caught up with George Lucas the visionary, and for every answer given to questions none of us had really asked (who built C3PO? What was Boba Fett's childhood like?), new questions were raised, or rather serious inconsistencies.

It is a very welcome and unexpected surprise that the best part of the 21st century Star Wars revival has been not the films, but Lucasfilms two partnerships with Cartoon Network. Gennedy Tartakovsky's superbly playful and silly Clone Wars traditional animation miniseries gave the prequel time line a much-needed boost, but the heart and soul of these characters was to be found in this show.

Kicking off with a very average feature-length episode (still no blemish on the dismal first 2 prequels), the series took a season to find its footing, experimenting with more infantile episodes and darker material (an early episode revealing General Grievous' lair is an early highlight and makes promises much of the later seasons truly deliver on).

Further bridging the gap between episodes II and III, the Clone Wars converts Tartakovsky's drawings to 3D with surprising success. The result is unique, and often quite stunning to look at. The characterizations start off a bit wooden and improve throughout, really blossoming when it comes to new characters, especially the villainous Asaj Ventress, bounty hunter Cad Bane and pirate Hondo. What worked in the films works even better here - especially Ian Abercrombie's Emperor Palpatine (often a dead ringer for McDiamrid) - and what didn't is significantly improved, sometimes in a jarring way. One could argue that Anakin Skywalker is a completely different person here than in the films, and all the better for it. And most of all, the show was free to explore story-lines and characters too remote for the films, and is often at its best in these instances: a fun 4-episode arc around droids is a case in point.

The greatest strength of the show, however, is its sense of wonder and pacing. Each episode begins "in media res", much like the original trilogy, with urgency and excitement, and rarely lets you catch your breath. Rather than let itself be handicapped by all the inconsistencies in the prequels, it forged ahead into exciting new territory.

If you still have a little spark of Star Wars loyalty left in you, this could be exactly what you need to feel vindicated.

Surprising.

Author: Dom_T4 from United Kingdom
26 April 2014

I was amazingly surprised by this series. I've always loved the Star Wars films, but until recently had avoided the animated side of things for fear that they'd be too childlike or not of terribly great quality. Watching The Clone Wars Movie didn't do much to allay my fears, although the animation was impressive the rest of the quality was questionable, to say the least.

Nonetheless I dived into watching the Clone Wars, the TV Series, and have found myself increasingly impressed & eager to watch more. The first couple of seasons were a little more child-orientated, but the plot quickly turns surprisingly dark & more fitting to the rest of the Star Wars canon.

I think this series does a remarkable job of building up characters and filling in gaps that were rather obvious between the films. The number one example is Anakin, whose character changed drastically between the films without much detail to fill in why he'd changed so much, what drove that, etc. This series does an absolutely brilliant job of explaining Anakin, and delving deeper into his character, and shows the side of Anakin, the 'light' side that we didn't get to see much of in the films. The creation/inclusion of his Padawan, Ahsoka, was a touch of genius & Ahsoka becomes more central to the plot over time.

You end up largely forgetting this series in an animation, such is the quality of the dialogue, plot lines & the level of detail sunk into almost every episode. The animation itself is beautifully done as well, and perhaps allowed a level of stunt work & lightsaber duelling that the films couldn't, not to mention the semi-regular, detailed, vivid space combat.

From being very cautious going into this series, I've come out the other side a little amazed, and I find myself wanting to go back and re-watch the series from the start in case I missed any little bits and pieces. I also found myself caring about the characters, including the clones & Ahsoka, and weighing up the decisions & moral dilemmas they faced in the gruelling atmosphere of constant combat.

Consider me converted. I would absolutely, in a heartbeat, recommend that people watch this.

Not bad

Author: markostrljic
4 July 2011

I'm a big star wars fan so i wanted to check this series. I could tell that it' pretty good. I mean of course i find droids conversations ridiculous, and immortality of few jedi's but in the end it's show for kids, so i guess it must be done that way. Personally the best thing in show are characters. Now we can see the wisdom of yoda (not in movies where he was just an action figure) and other jedi's, they finally introduce us with characters in SW prequels and show us they development. There are lot bad and good things about this show,there is no point of writing them all here. Just watch it by yourselves and then you will decide if it's a good or a bad show.

Truly one of the best Animated Series ever

Author: cdietz94-667-599244 from United States
12 February 2011

I just wanted to say, I do love Gendy T's series, but it in comparison to this one it falls a little flat, but I still love it. This series has introduced some characters that have quickly became some of my favorites. Such as Captain Rex, an epic Clone Trooper at Anakin's side, Savage Oppress, the ruthless brother of the infamous Darth Maul, Cad Bane, a bounty hunter who is so badass, he doesn't need a theme song like Darth Vader.

As I write this we are almost done with season 3 (Secrets Revealed) and while the first half was alright, the second half is astoundingly excellent. My favorite episodes are currently Rookies, Hostage Crisis, Witches of the Mist, ARC Troopers, and the entire Geonosis Arc.

EDIT 2012 We are halfway through season 4 now, and the most recent episode of the show A Friend in Need was fantastic. Episodes such as the Citadel Trilogy, The Padawan two parter, the mon cala trilogy, the umbara four parter, and a friend in need are among my favorite episodes.

This is almost my favorite show ever.

It's truly a great series, and it will be sad to see it go.

As a time goes by it gets better

Author: jebaczelenekadulje from Croatia
4 April 2010

Firs I was disappointed, but as a series goes by it gets better and better, or to say darker and darker. It is Star Wars for masses and young's, so some compromise has to bi done. Characters in the beginning where a little bit shallow but they evolve and develop, and also a connection between them grow deeper and deeper, new world emerge and some new location too, old repeat too, but wot would be Star Wars without all known places like Dantooine, Coruscant and other known worlds :-). Perhaps the villains may be a less shallow, but they are expendable so perhaps that is a reason why the authors did not lose to much time on building a deeper characters, but who knows may bi they will. To sum it all together, I like it now and hope to like ti to the end.

A time absorber for Star Wars nuts

Author: kdubs-3 from United Kingdom
7 May 2009

I've been an avid fan of the Star Wars world since the beginning so on hearing (many moons ago) that there was going to be a TV series slotted between episodes 5 and 6, I was rather eager. I was surprised to hear that the 2003 cartoon releases were to be remade. They provided interesting tie-ins (to note: Mace Windu force-crushing General Grevious's chest causing his asthmatic wheezing from then on - not shown in new series). And so came the Clone Wars Movie. My initial disappointment started with the re-scored John Williams music - disastrous decision which made this avid fan rather sceptical for the duration of the movie. Hands up, I was expecting a rather more adult approach to the fill-in movie but I had to remember that I was ten when episode 4 was released so it's fair to say that there are a few younger fans out there too. Obviously I was so disappointed that I immediately bought the Blu-Ray on its release and have viewed it several times since. And so to the series: the critics were right... the movie IS a pilot for the TV series, no doubt. Finally managed to watch a couple of episodes on Cartoon Network and was very impressed. Last weekend I managed to subject my partner to 12 episodes as Cartoon Network transmitted a marathon day last Monday and I have to say - it's compelling viewing. You can watch an episode without having had to have watched the previous one but there is a continuity if you've some 6 hours to spare! Yup, Jar Jar Binks is still sadly there and as pointless as ever but the Clone characters have developed individually as has the relationship with "Snips" and Anakin (Snips does remind me of my teenage daughter with her back-chat! slightly annoying). The space battle scenes are quite frankly amazing. It would appear that each episode/group of episodes has a subliminal life-lesson buried in it but that's not always a bad thing... right kids? I'm uncertain how many episodes have been made but I'm sure they will continue - here's hoping. As for the DVD/Blu-Ray release: Only FOUR episodes per disc - oh come on Uncle George! To summarise: I was initially disappointed but the series has really grown on me. Consistent quality visuals with entertaining story lines are highly recommended viewing. Enjoy!

This is not the movie! Yes!

Author: gabrielmatosm from Venezuela
12 October 2008

Well, I'm a super Star Wars fan, but I'll be frank. I was very disappointed by the movie, much because I was expecting another epic Star Wars movie and also because of the acting... It was really annoying, especially Ashoka and the droids...

But now... Well, now it's different! OK, the battle droids are the same, but everything else has improved. The first two chapters are really good. We see real Jedi in action. First, Yoda (no more comments required) and then Plo Koon! He had never done anything before so he's very welcome.

I even want these chapters to be movie long! I hope to see more Jedis in action in the next installments and to keep up with the action! The Force is with this series!

Absolutely wonderful show!

Author: andcasso-nielsen from Denmark
25 January 2009

So we're finally going to see the clone wars. One of the funny things about the six Star Wars movies is that you actually don't see too much of the front line action of neither wars. Revenge of the Sith was the only movie to show us anything from the front lines and of the clone wars. But now we have a brand new show and its actually really good.

The story is exciting, and it is nice to see, that every episode isn't necessarily about Anakin Skywalker and/or Obi-Wan Kenobi. Many characters new and old has their moments in the sun.

It is also great to see how the series expands the universe. Unlike its cartoon predecessor it feels like the show is more connected to the movies. General Grievous doesn't jump around like Yoda on speed and Anakin isn't behaving like a moody teenager.

Credits to the writers. Im also very pleased with the animation which is probably the best seen on TV to date. The voice actors does a great job and the show is believable. Great stuff. Looking forward to see more episodes and seasons.

Boring Kids Show With Poor Plots

Author: Cristofer Pope
9 September 2014

Being a Star Wars fan myself, I was curious about this "Clone Wars" series. After watching the trailer, it looked really promising and I was very much looking forward to delving into the Clone Wars. However, I was sorely disappointed after my high hopes... moreover, this is more of a kids show.

The graphics are great in my opinion, but the plots are simply so dry, cheesy, and cliché - lacking substance and suspense. For instance, there is an episode where drones are sent to attack Yoda. Instead of Yoda developing a unique strategy that keeps you on the edge of your seat, he arrogantly begins meditating in front of the small army, whips out his light-saber at last second, and simply whoops them all. End of the episode after that. I was hoping for Yoda to actually be challenged, for something to go wrong, for him and his troops to discover a last-minute strategy, etc. Instead it was just really straightforward and cheesy. After watching 5 episodes, I could conclude with nothing else except that it is too boring for me. Also, Anakin's Padawan Ahsoka is a really annoying character in this show!

Kids may think this show is cool, but adults with a taste for decent story-writing will know this show sucks for the adult world. Trust me, this show is really boring - even for Star Wars fans. On the bright side, it is Star Wars, the graphics are good, and it is family-friendly. It's not terrible, but it's also not any good. On a a letter-grade scale, I'd give it a C-.

Good for those who don't know Star Wars that well

Author: AdidasLoyalty from Ohio
21 February 2012

It's not a bad show, it's just for hardcore Star Wars fans it ruins everything. It seems like George Lucas just gave the writers to do whatever they want. Now all of a sudden what we know about Darth Maul is not true. Their wily nilly attitude about the Star Wars Universe have caused the greatest SW writer Karen Traviss to stop writing probably one of the best series in the Republic Commando. Her take on the Mandalorians (Boba Fett's people for those who don't know) is so much better than the Clone Wars version. Plus she actually got information from a actual sniper in the U.S. military for input and created a character after him.

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]