IMDb > "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Surprising.

Author: Dom_T4 from United Kingdom
26 April 2014

I was amazingly surprised by this series. I've always loved the Star Wars films, but until recently had avoided the animated side of things for fear that they'd be too childlike or not of terribly great quality. Watching The Clone Wars Movie didn't do much to allay my fears, although the animation was impressive the rest of the quality was questionable, to say the least.

Nonetheless I dived into watching the Clone Wars, the TV Series, and have found myself increasingly impressed & eager to watch more. The first couple of seasons were a little more child-orientated, but the plot quickly turns surprisingly dark & more fitting to the rest of the Star Wars canon.

I think this series does a remarkable job of building up characters and filling in gaps that were rather obvious between the films. The number one example is Anakin, whose character changed drastically between the films without much detail to fill in why he'd changed so much, what drove that, etc. This series does an absolutely brilliant job of explaining Anakin, and delving deeper into his character, and shows the side of Anakin, the 'light' side that we didn't get to see much of in the films. The creation/inclusion of his Padawan, Ahsoka, was a touch of genius & Ahsoka becomes more central to the plot over time.

You end up largely forgetting this series in an animation, such is the quality of the dialogue, plot lines & the level of detail sunk into almost every episode. The animation itself is beautifully done as well, and perhaps allowed a level of stunt work & lightsaber duelling that the films couldn't, not to mention the semi-regular, detailed, vivid space combat.

From being very cautious going into this series, I've come out the other side a little amazed, and I find myself wanting to go back and re-watch the series from the start in case I missed any little bits and pieces. I also found myself caring about the characters, including the clones & Ahsoka, and weighing up the decisions & moral dilemmas they faced in the gruelling atmosphere of constant combat.

Consider me converted. I would absolutely, in a heartbeat, recommend that people watch this.

Good for those who don't know Star Wars that well

Author: AdidasLoyalty from Ohio
21 February 2012

It's not a bad show, it's just for hardcore Star Wars fans it ruins everything. It seems like George Lucas just gave the writers to do whatever they want. Now all of a sudden what we know about Darth Maul is not true. Their wily nilly attitude about the Star Wars Universe have caused the greatest SW writer Karen Traviss to stop writing probably one of the best series in the Republic Commando. Her take on the Mandalorians (Boba Fett's people for those who don't know) is so much better than the Clone Wars version. Plus she actually got information from a actual sniper in the U.S. military for input and created a character after him.

Truly one of the best Animated Series ever

Author: cdietz94-667-599244 from United States
12 February 2011

I just wanted to say, I do love Gendy T's series, but it in comparison to this one it falls a little flat, but I still love it. This series has introduced some characters that have quickly became some of my favorites. Such as Captain Rex, an epic Clone Trooper at Anakin's side, Savage Oppress, the ruthless brother of the infamous Darth Maul, Cad Bane, a bounty hunter who is so badass, he doesn't need a theme song like Darth Vader.

As I write this we are almost done with season 3 (Secrets Revealed) and while the first half was alright, the second half is astoundingly excellent. My favorite episodes are currently Rookies, Hostage Crisis, Witches of the Mist, ARC Troopers, and the entire Geonosis Arc.

EDIT 2012 We are halfway through season 4 now, and the most recent episode of the show A Friend in Need was fantastic. Episodes such as the Citadel Trilogy, The Padawan two parter, the mon cala trilogy, the umbara four parter, and a friend in need are among my favorite episodes.

This is almost my favorite show ever.

It's truly a great series, and it will be sad to see it go.

Above average...

Author: God Zamiel from Portugal
12 May 2009

The animation is maybe the best out there... for a cartoon TV show. I was impressed that some of the episodes brought back the essence of the old movies, like the first episode, where we got to see the old Yoda that we love, wise but also funny a thing we didn't saw in the new trilogy, where he was always so grim. Another good surprise was Plo koon that showed us that a Jedi is not just about waving around his light-saber, he has a soul and something meaningful to say. The storm troopers look and act really cool as we saw on episode 5 they could fill in for the main character anytime that she show wouldn't lose interest. In the down side we have Ahsoka; I know she's still a padawan but she has no Jedi mentality and just doesn't respect the older jedis. The action is dynamic and exiting, sometimes the only thing that cares the weaker storyline episodes (that are in great number in this show). The droids are maybe a little to stupid… Overall the show is entertaining and worth watching.

A time absorber for Star Wars nuts

Author: kdubs-3 from United Kingdom
7 May 2009

I've been an avid fan of the Star Wars world since the beginning so on hearing (many moons ago) that there was going to be a TV series slotted between episodes 5 and 6, I was rather eager. I was surprised to hear that the 2003 cartoon releases were to be remade. They provided interesting tie-ins (to note: Mace Windu force-crushing General Grevious's chest causing his asthmatic wheezing from then on - not shown in new series). And so came the Clone Wars Movie. My initial disappointment started with the re-scored John Williams music - disastrous decision which made this avid fan rather sceptical for the duration of the movie. Hands up, I was expecting a rather more adult approach to the fill-in movie but I had to remember that I was ten when episode 4 was released so it's fair to say that there are a few younger fans out there too. Obviously I was so disappointed that I immediately bought the Blu-Ray on its release and have viewed it several times since. And so to the series: the critics were right... the movie IS a pilot for the TV series, no doubt. Finally managed to watch a couple of episodes on Cartoon Network and was very impressed. Last weekend I managed to subject my partner to 12 episodes as Cartoon Network transmitted a marathon day last Monday and I have to say - it's compelling viewing. You can watch an episode without having had to have watched the previous one but there is a continuity if you've some 6 hours to spare! Yup, Jar Jar Binks is still sadly there and as pointless as ever but the Clone characters have developed individually as has the relationship with "Snips" and Anakin (Snips does remind me of my teenage daughter with her back-chat! slightly annoying). The space battle scenes are quite frankly amazing. It would appear that each episode/group of episodes has a subliminal life-lesson buried in it but that's not always a bad thing... right kids? I'm uncertain how many episodes have been made but I'm sure they will continue - here's hoping. As for the DVD/Blu-Ray release: Only FOUR episodes per disc - oh come on Uncle George! To summarise: I was initially disappointed but the series has really grown on me. Consistent quality visuals with entertaining story lines are highly recommended viewing. Enjoy!

Absolutely wonderful show!

Author: andcasso-nielsen from Denmark
25 January 2009

So we're finally going to see the clone wars. One of the funny things about the six Star Wars movies is that you actually don't see too much of the front line action of neither wars. Revenge of the Sith was the only movie to show us anything from the front lines and of the clone wars. But now we have a brand new show and its actually really good.

The story is exciting, and it is nice to see, that every episode isn't necessarily about Anakin Skywalker and/or Obi-Wan Kenobi. Many characters new and old has their moments in the sun.

It is also great to see how the series expands the universe. Unlike its cartoon predecessor it feels like the show is more connected to the movies. General Grievous doesn't jump around like Yoda on speed and Anakin isn't behaving like a moody teenager.

Credits to the writers. Im also very pleased with the animation which is probably the best seen on TV to date. The voice actors does a great job and the show is believable. Great stuff. Looking forward to see more episodes and seasons.

Terrible

Author: Movie_Reviewer123
4 March 2009

Despite being a Star Wars fan, I can easily say this and the other Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated movie upon which this is based are just plain terrible. The story lines are generic with no creativity. The cartoon never mentions anything about the Clone Wars era itself, such as the underlying evil of the Republic or the fact that the CIS wasn't led by Grievous or Dooku, but was led by Sidious (Palpatine), so there really isn't much of a connection to this and the the actual movie (the live-action one, not the animated one). The battles in this show range from stupid to horrendous. One Clone trooper apparently can slaughter 1500 Battle Droids with relative ease, and all the droids really do is make some kind of idiotic self-insult about their own stupidity. Even when they do try to kill the clones, they rarely hit anything:

Imagine if a platoon of 500 droids stood 1 foot away from the side of a barn, and if they fired for 15 minutes straight with their regular blaster rifles with the accuracy they're shown as having in the show, they wouldn't have hit the barn a single time. It'd take them 45 minutes to hit the side of the barn, and that'd only be 1 hit; that's how bad their accuracy is shown as in the show.

Anakin is shown as an immortal being, capable of destroying millions of enemies without taking a scratch. Obi-Wan rarely plays any important roles in the series, and for some inexplicable reason, he's always wearing Clone shoulder armor. Yoda looks ridiculous; his eyes are gigantic and he's even shorter than he is in the movie. The music is decent.

All-in-all, the show is nothing but overrated garbage. Star Wars fans will be disappointed with the show, and non-Star Wars fans will utterly despise it.

Hey, that's just great!

Author: halaszgabor1990 from Hungary
10 July 2009

My whole family is watching this series! Some people say that Anakin's padawan is annoying. IMHO, Ahsoka is at least less annoying and cliché-like than Padmé and they needed a female character who is in the middle of the war.However, i'm curious about her disappearance later. (I'm afraid that Dooku will kill her). It would've been harder to keep Padmé alive during the missions. The series itself resembles to the Starship Troopers one (my old favorite), we can feel Order 66 more cruel and hate Palpatine much more if we compare those scenes with the troopers nursing the little twi'lek girl at Ryloth and seeing Aayla Secura rescuing Bly, the clone who later kills her. Not perfect, but the best for SW-series. Some answers for the critics: Movie_Reviever123: Palpatine WAS the leader of CIS, but in those times, officially, he was the leader of the republic army. I'm pretty sure that he gave commands to his CIS commanders, but because of his status, he couldn't command the CIS personally. The clone warriors DO die many times and Anakin IS vulnerable (He wasn't in the best shape after that crash-landing). And please forgive them they don't kill their protagonists. And the whole stuff is cartoon-ish. Why must Yoda be an exception? Andariel Halo: Bro, this is Clone WARS! There is less time for love, so IMO the sophisticated romantic scenes would be odd here. Only masters can train jedi? Obi-Wan was barely a jedi knight when he started the training of Anakin! Master refers to the leaders of the jedi order (like Yoda or Mace Windu) and a name that padawans use for their umm... master. But that's not their official title, sometimes they are just knights. Gregory, at least you've got some points: the clash of R2-D2 and R3-S6 was indeed ridiculous and i feel sorry for the droids created too clumsy. But Grievous is acting normally. Neither I would start a fight against an infamous enemy without learning his movements in some quick ambush-retreats. This series is good for filling some plot holes of the whole history and a fun to watch! I Just can't Get enough of it!

Clone Wars series worth a watch

Author: schubertsean from United States
17 December 2008

The Clone Wars television series is a continuation of decades worth of story-telling. There are some issues with continuity but then there are issues of the same nature resulting from the prequel trilogy as well. As an older viewer of the series, there are several things that I like. The first is that it provides an opportunity for my 5 year old son and me to share one more thing in common. He loves the Star Wars universe as much as I did and do. I also like the fact that the players aren't all black and white in their actions and thoughts. You can feel some philosophical tension. I like for my son's and his friends' sake that Anakin has a little more time to be a "good guy" and that you get to see the other Jedi do their thing before they are all hunted down. I also enjoy the bad guys. Ventress is really bad and Grievous, although rarely successful, is calculating and dark. Dooku is a bit of a chump but you can't have everything. I hope this first season is successful enough to justify another season or two. It is worth watching but don't expect award winning anything. It's just fun and worth sharing with the younger Jedis in your life.

kids show people

Author: babyduckaroo from United States
17 April 2009

I hate that grownups get on here and dis a cartoon. It's a kids show people!!!! My son is 5 and LOVES this show. All is friends and cousins ages 4-15 LOVE this show. Yes some thing fall flat but it is a CHILDS show!!!!I dig it!! I never even had an interest in Star Wars AT ALL. Now I am rethinking that and have borrowed all 6 movies. We watched all 22 episodes and own the full length animated movie. I'm sure the movies will be more on an adult level. So for all the grown men still living with their mommies grow up a quit gripping about kid shows. The animation is great. The plot is a bit choppy in places but for the most part it flows great. It keeps my son and his 3 year old sister occupied for the entire show not just the first few minutes.

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]