IMDb > "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

The best cartoon on TV

Author: neilung from United Kingdom
24 February 2009

I didn't really enjoyed the last 3 starwars films and I also didn't really like the clone wars animated film. However the clone wars TV series is simply great. At 22 mins per episode it really works, action packed, fun and does actually contain adult themes. Like many modern animations it works on a lot of levels. The stories are fantastic and give you more of an appreciation for the last 2 films, because of the backbone story offered. I have watched 10 episodes so far and have enjoyed all of them, only a couple have been below par (the one with JarJar). Its great popcorn sci-fi TV, I compel any starwars fan to watch it.

Lucas is great

Author: Don Agiro (doagiro@gmail.com) from Kenya
5 September 2015

I mean its like the author took time to pick out all the details left out in the main movie that fit in place with this animation series.he finds a way to let us see and understand what happened and led to some certain unforeseen events like the slowly turning of Anikin Skywalker to lord Vader which was clearly not covered in the movie. wow, Lucas film does it as he always has, cant find a way to appreciate that guy for all the imagination he has fed the world. i guess what viewers are anticipating mostly at this point is his next movie, the force awakens. I wonder if the Jedi will return or will this be an entirely new plot for the viewers. it would be nice to come with a fitting conclusion though I fear this isn't happening anytime sooner since its clear that this will be a trilogy set

Every Season was even better than the last one! Until I watched Season 6...

Author: TheFunkyBass from United States
20 May 2015

The show was getting better and better with every Season. But Season 5 was much better than Season 6.

Season 5 had one of the best episodes. "Lawless" was the best episode by far. It had some amazing moments. Obi-Wan in a mandalorian armor? How badass was that!? And the duel between Sidious vs Maul and Oppress was awesome as well. The season finale was perfect, it tied up well why Ahsoka wasn't in Episode III

Season 6 messed a lot with the continuity instead of filling in the gaps. Clones with chip implants? Really? That's the reason of Order 66? That's just lazy writing. The Clovis arc was boring. The Jar Jar arc was dumb and unnecessary. The only good part of the season was the Yoda arc. And even that messed with continuity too. Like changing from Korriban to Moraband, and implied that Shaak Ti was killed in Order 66 like in the deleted scene of Episode III (which is NOT canon, but was actually Starkiller who killed her.)

To me, Season 6 ended on a low point. They should've just ended with Season 5 and be remembered as a great show.

A Surprisingly Soulful Cash-In

Author: OttoVonB from Switzerland
26 March 2014

4.06 billion. Try to visualize the number, try hard. That's the amount Disney bought Lucasfilm for in 2012. That' should give you an idea not just of what all Star Wars-related products past are worth, but all those still to come (and let's not forget the not-insignificant property that is Indiana Jones). That number is also a testament to how unshakable the filmgoing public's belief has remained in George Lucas' galaxy far, far away.

Build it (with a big fat Star Wars logo on it) and we will come. We're largely forgiven for being this loyal and enthusiastic back in 1999, when the prequels began screening around the world, and decreasingly so as years went by. George Lucas the writer finally caught up with George Lucas the visionary, and for every answer given to questions none of us had really asked (who built C3PO? What was Boba Fett's childhood like?), new questions were raised, or rather serious inconsistencies.

It is a very welcome and unexpected surprise that the best part of the 21st century Star Wars revival has been not the films, but Lucasfilms two partnerships with Cartoon Network. Gennedy Tartakovsky's superbly playful and silly Clone Wars traditional animation miniseries gave the prequel time line a much-needed boost, but the heart and soul of these characters was to be found in this show.

Kicking off with a very average feature-length episode (still no blemish on the dismal first 2 prequels), the series took a season to find its footing, experimenting with more infantile episodes and darker material (an early episode revealing General Grievous' lair is an early highlight and makes promises much of the later seasons truly deliver on).

Further bridging the gap between episodes II and III, the Clone Wars converts Tartakovsky's drawings to 3D with surprising success. The result is unique, and often quite stunning to look at. The characterizations start off a bit wooden and improve throughout, really blossoming when it comes to new characters, especially the villainous Asaj Ventress, bounty hunter Cad Bane and pirate Hondo. What worked in the films works even better here - especially Ian Abercrombie's Emperor Palpatine (often a dead ringer for McDiamrid) - and what didn't is significantly improved, sometimes in a jarring way. One could argue that Anakin Skywalker is a completely different person here than in the films, and all the better for it. And most of all, the show was free to explore story-lines and characters too remote for the films, and is often at its best in these instances: a fun 4-episode arc around droids is a case in point.

The greatest strength of the show, however, is its sense of wonder and pacing. Each episode begins "in media res", much like the original trilogy, with urgency and excitement, and rarely lets you catch your breath. Rather than let itself be handicapped by all the inconsistencies in the prequels, it forged ahead into exciting new territory.

If you still have a little spark of Star Wars loyalty left in you, this could be exactly what you need to feel vindicated.

Epic TV show!

Author: James Findlay from United Kingdom
9 May 2015

Being a fan of Star Wars, I instantly fell in love with Star Wars The Clone Wars after seeing the movie release. The movie is mixed in places but the TV show really doesn't disappoint,regular characters and familiar faces (such as Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker)make the show very interesting to follow. The Clone Wars takes place between Episodes II and III of the Star Wars film franchise and it helps to fill in the gap about some of the events that take place during that time. The show is extremely varied in its environments and characters which keeps the episodes fresh and the level of detail in the Star Wars universe is astonishing. The Clone Wars continues to grow and improve as the seasons go on and so do the characters, aside from the odd few disappointing episodes (of which there are very few), the Clone Wars TV show is an excellent watch and it is a major shame that Disney cut the show short for Star Wars Rebels (which is equally as epic in its own right!)

Not bad

Author: markostrljic
4 July 2011

I'm a big star wars fan so i wanted to check this series. I could tell that it' pretty good. I mean of course i find droids conversations ridiculous, and immortality of few jedi's but in the end it's show for kids, so i guess it must be done that way. Personally the best thing in show are characters. Now we can see the wisdom of yoda (not in movies where he was just an action figure) and other jedi's, they finally introduce us with characters in SW prequels and show us they development. There are lot bad and good things about this show,there is no point of writing them all here. Just watch it by yourselves and then you will decide if it's a good or a bad show.

Truly one of the best Animated Series ever

Author: cdietz94-667-599244 from United States
12 February 2011

I just wanted to say, I do love Gendy T's series, but it in comparison to this one it falls a little flat, but I still love it. This series has introduced some characters that have quickly became some of my favorites. Such as Captain Rex, an epic Clone Trooper at Anakin's side, Savage Oppress, the ruthless brother of the infamous Darth Maul, Cad Bane, a bounty hunter who is so badass, he doesn't need a theme song like Darth Vader.

As I write this we are almost done with season 3 (Secrets Revealed) and while the first half was alright, the second half is astoundingly excellent. My favorite episodes are currently Rookies, Hostage Crisis, Witches of the Mist, ARC Troopers, and the entire Geonosis Arc.

EDIT 2012 We are halfway through season 4 now, and the most recent episode of the show A Friend in Need was fantastic. Episodes such as the Citadel Trilogy, The Padawan two parter, the mon cala trilogy, the umbara four parter, and a friend in need are among my favorite episodes.

This is almost my favorite show ever.

It's truly a great series, and it will be sad to see it go.

As a time goes by it gets better

Author: jebaczelenekadulje from Croatia
4 April 2010

Firs I was disappointed, but as a series goes by it gets better and better, or to say darker and darker. It is Star Wars for masses and young's, so some compromise has to bi done. Characters in the beginning where a little bit shallow but they evolve and develop, and also a connection between them grow deeper and deeper, new world emerge and some new location too, old repeat too, but wot would be Star Wars without all known places like Dantooine, Coruscant and other known worlds :-). Perhaps the villains may be a less shallow, but they are expendable so perhaps that is a reason why the authors did not lose to much time on building a deeper characters, but who knows may bi they will. To sum it all together, I like it now and hope to like ti to the end.

A time absorber for Star Wars nuts

Author: kdubs-3 from United Kingdom
7 May 2009

I've been an avid fan of the Star Wars world since the beginning so on hearing (many moons ago) that there was going to be a TV series slotted between episodes 5 and 6, I was rather eager. I was surprised to hear that the 2003 cartoon releases were to be remade. They provided interesting tie-ins (to note: Mace Windu force-crushing General Grevious's chest causing his asthmatic wheezing from then on - not shown in new series). And so came the Clone Wars Movie. My initial disappointment started with the re-scored John Williams music - disastrous decision which made this avid fan rather sceptical for the duration of the movie. Hands up, I was expecting a rather more adult approach to the fill-in movie but I had to remember that I was ten when episode 4 was released so it's fair to say that there are a few younger fans out there too. Obviously I was so disappointed that I immediately bought the Blu-Ray on its release and have viewed it several times since. And so to the series: the critics were right... the movie IS a pilot for the TV series, no doubt. Finally managed to watch a couple of episodes on Cartoon Network and was very impressed. Last weekend I managed to subject my partner to 12 episodes as Cartoon Network transmitted a marathon day last Monday and I have to say - it's compelling viewing. You can watch an episode without having had to have watched the previous one but there is a continuity if you've some 6 hours to spare! Yup, Jar Jar Binks is still sadly there and as pointless as ever but the Clone characters have developed individually as has the relationship with "Snips" and Anakin (Snips does remind me of my teenage daughter with her back-chat! slightly annoying). The space battle scenes are quite frankly amazing. It would appear that each episode/group of episodes has a subliminal life-lesson buried in it but that's not always a bad thing... right kids? I'm uncertain how many episodes have been made but I'm sure they will continue - here's hoping. As for the DVD/Blu-Ray release: Only FOUR episodes per disc - oh come on Uncle George! To summarise: I was initially disappointed but the series has really grown on me. Consistent quality visuals with entertaining story lines are highly recommended viewing. Enjoy!

This is not the movie! Yes!

Author: gabrielmatosm from Venezuela
12 October 2008

Well, I'm a super Star Wars fan, but I'll be frank. I was very disappointed by the movie, much because I was expecting another epic Star Wars movie and also because of the acting... It was really annoying, especially Ashoka and the droids...

But now... Well, now it's different! OK, the battle droids are the same, but everything else has improved. The first two chapters are really good. We see real Jedi in action. First, Yoda (no more comments required) and then Plo Koon! He had never done anything before so he's very welcome.

I even want these chapters to be movie long! I hope to see more Jedis in action in the next installments and to keep up with the action! The Force is with this series!

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]