IMDb > "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Upon further review...

Author: OleFr-Skj from Norway
8 August 2012

I originally gave this series an 8/10. But I was kind of on a Star Wars high at the time, and couldn't give the show a fair judgement.

I'm just going to make this review have a point, as opposed to my previous geek-freakout.

THE GOOD

The show's animation is pretty good, it's very fluid and conveys motion really well. I've been told that this show started the current fad with CGI animated cartoons, evident in such shows as Iron Man: Armored Adventures and Green Lantern: TAS, well, now we know why.

There's some pretty good action scenes, and as the show progresses it grows periodically better. I think the point where the show starts to actually get good is season 3, in which there's the Mortis trilogy and the set-up for Darth Maul's return, both of which I thought were a lot of fun.

The show has a lot of good ideas, and some of them make for great episodes, like the aforementioned Mortis Trilogy and also an arc where Obi-Wan goes undercover as a bounty hunter after faking his own death, both of those arcs provided some pretty solid entertainment.

THE BAD

The show maintains a sort of constant cycle of ups and downs, right after a really solid episode, you'll get a really bad one. This problem diminishes as the show progresses, however.

The show reportedly goes out of its way to screw with continuity. I've been told by a reviewer I follow that the show's canon completely contradicts earlier stories set in the clone wars, and while I personally don't take much issue with that, as I've never had any exposure to this content, I can see the problem this poses.

This problem is emphasized by the fact that the show can't keep its own continuity straight either. There are instances where episodes are aired almost in backwards order, this makes for some very awkward plot hiccups, like one in which a senator who was assassinated still shows up a couple times after that.

Also, the show makes little effort to actually introduce the characters. All of the mainstays, Grievous, Kenobi, Anakin, Ventress, are all there right from the start, and none of them are properly introduced in any way. The show is apparently just relying on brand recognition in that respect.

Ultimately, however, because the later seasons are so strong, I'd recommend the show from season 3 onward for Star Wars fans.

This + SWTOR = Star Wars back on top.

Author: jay star from New Zealand
20 May 2012

This is truly some of the best science fiction there is, each season building on the one before it.. a darker tone creeping into every facet of the characters, world and storyline.. with a growing sense of impending doom that awaits with order 66.

Anakin, Obi Wan and Cad Bane are portrayed brilliantly, with Palpatine/Sidious and Dooku conveying a great sense of power and Sith teachings, not pure evil - but a different set of ideals (power and dominance over enlightenment and unity). This is how Star Wars is meant to be, with shades of gray permeating many directions the show takes.

I recommend The Clone Wars to anyone who likes good space opera: it's probably the best in class at this current time (once GL's Underworld eventually is out, that will probably take the crown however). I especially encourage those that are players of SWTOR to re-watch from the beginning.. with many of the same locations revealed in this timeline (Balmorra / Hoth / Courescant / Hutta / Nar Shadda etc), this is a great way to see more of the universe that you play in daily, in a new light (3000 years after your adventures in game).

Enjoy everyone - this is great Star Wars, and a true return to form for the franchise - would be a 10/10, but the first season's emphasis on Mr Binks/Droid 'Roger Roger' quotes knocked a point off. Thank the maker the aforementioned Gungan is less prevalent in the following seasons!!

The Mythos Continues

Author: jehuv1 from Idaho, United States
2 March 2012

Star Wars fills a significant place in the Sci-fi genre that deserves respect that many believe the prequel trilogy failed to live up to. No matter how much flak George Lucas gets from the prequels, he did one thing right. He allowed this show to be created.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars offers a premium Star Wars experience to young views and is the best apology George Lucas could give adult fans who were disappointed with the prequels. Having reopened the Star Wars Universe to characters with heart, complexity, and flaws; The Clone Wars gives the viewers everything they want. Given the shows growing darkness and mature lure, it is hard to comprehend that the majority of fans are children. The depth this show offers has to be drawing adults whether they are closet fans or open fans of Star Wars. It is a testament to the show's power that it can captivate both adults, teens, and children alike; while reaching all of them on different levels.

If you are a fan of the Star Wars Universe and don't want it to stop with the saga, then tune in and support. You won't regret it.

As time go, show is better an better!

Author: makevic from Serbia
5 February 2011

Overall this is a great show!

I don't care about animation, effects and all other eye candy things which are great. I want good story, good characters, preserving original Star Wars feeling and delivering more of that feeling consistently in every week. And all of this and more, this show is giving me more and more in every season.

In third season we have more in depth dark side of the Force, their characters, motives, their ways in general. Also "good guys" besides Knights and Masters have their in depth view.

So the patient Star Wars fan, who watched first two seasons, in third season got what he looked for from, if I may say, original trilogy. We got action, adventure, good plot, deep characters, and above all Star Wars universe that we all love!

A Really Good Show

Author: DragoonKain from New York
13 August 2010

I've been a Star Wars fan since I was a kid, but I have to admit that I had been getting kind of sick of Star Wars in the past decade. Though good movies for the most part, I was kind of disappointed by the prequel trilogy, and felt that there were too many games, books, and other EU things out there to keep me as engaged in the universe as I used to be when I was a kid. The story, I felt, had become too convoluted, and I didn't feel like I was a "fan" of star wars anymore. Maybe I grew out of it.

Nevertheless, I decided to netflix the clone wars movie and subsequent TV series to give star wars another shot since I enjoyed the original 2003 clone wars cartoons. I have to admit, the show is really growing on me. I wasn't too hot on the clone wars movie, but the show is actually really good. The characters are likable, and the story lines are entertaining. Anakin is actually really cool in this, more likable than he is in the films, and I like Ahsoka and even Jar Jar comes off a lot better in this (although I never really had a problem with him to begin with). The only problem I have with it is Obi Wan. He comes off as way too smug, I think, I really don't like his voice. McGreggor pulled it off his personality much better in the movies. Still, it's not a major complaint, especially since it kind of makes Anakin more likable, since they're always arguing, but it does get kind of annoying.

I've just finished the first season and I'm looking forward to grabbing the second when it becomes available on netflix, but I'm wondering, can I start watching the third season without seeing the second? Or will too much get spoiled.

Impressive... most impressive.

Author: Aidan Clark from Canada
9 July 2009

I really enjoyed watching the first season of this show. Initially, I had low expectations for it when it first aired here in Canada (because of the movie).

I was pleased to see that it had a stable story line and everything any Star Wars related story should have. Sith, Jedi, aliens, droids, GOOD dialog (great relief), characters you could relate to.

It was not really like the originals, of course, and the aura of something different can anger people. But I think this series had a different approach. This series is welcomed by fans with open arms because it had the unique ability to entertain those who have loved SW since 1977, and those who are new fans to the story.

I look forward to seeing this series go through its course, and I look forward to seeing the SW galaxy expand.

The best cartoon on TV

Author: neilung from United Kingdom
24 February 2009

I didn't really enjoyed the last 3 starwars films and I also didn't really like the clone wars animated film. However the clone wars TV series is simply great. At 22 mins per episode it really works, action packed, fun and does actually contain adult themes. Like many modern animations it works on a lot of levels. The stories are fantastic and give you more of an appreciation for the last 2 films, because of the backbone story offered. I have watched 10 episodes so far and have enjoyed all of them, only a couple have been below par (the one with JarJar). Its great popcorn sci-fi TV, I compel any starwars fan to watch it.

The Full Story

Author: thescribe7 from United States
29 December 2014

One thing the prequels were missing was a twist and a new side to some of the characters. For example, is Obi-Wan really as "cerebral" as he appears in the films. When was Anakin ever given any kind of a responsibility, or how many contrived ways can we bring back a popular underused character?

Ahsoka gets a lot of hate but she actually isn't that bad of a character as we go on. The humor regarding the battle droids is pretty awful but putting minor things that are irksome behind the show is not terrible. I do like how it goes into on how the clones might too be people with personalities.

We didn't get a chance to know the Jedi in the prequels very well so I'd recommend this for that purpose. Going into season three you actually get some insights on this Chosen One philosophy. Anakin's nicer qualities are given a chance to shine if that's one of the things that constantly bothered you in the prequels.

The characters they meet on the different planets can either be entertaining or very bothersome as so to speak. I'd give it a mixed rating, but if I had to be specific on what some of the good parts are I'd say the last eight episode of season five are really good.

If you're a prequel basher with nothing better to do with your time, please accept the fact that you're not a kid anymore. Remember when we used to just sit back and be entertained by a story?

A Surprisingly Soulful Cash-In

Author: OttoVonB from Switzerland
26 March 2014

4.06 billion. Try to visualize the number, try hard. That's the amount Disney bought Lucasfilm for in 2012. That' should give you an idea not just of what all Star Wars-related products past are worth, but all those still to come (and let's not forget the not-insignificant property that is Indiana Jones). That number is also a testament to how unshakable the filmgoing public's belief has remained in George Lucas' galaxy far, far away.

Build it (with a big fat Star Wars logo on it) and we will come. We're largely forgiven for being this loyal and enthusiastic back in 1999, when the prequels began screening around the world, and decreasingly so as years went by. George Lucas the writer finally caught up with George Lucas the visionary, and for every answer given to questions none of us had really asked (who built C3PO? What was Boba Fett's childhood like?), new questions were raised, or rather serious inconsistencies.

It is a very welcome and unexpected surprise that the best part of the 21st century Star Wars revival has been not the films, but Lucasfilms two partnerships with Cartoon Network. Gennedy Tartakovsky's superbly playful and silly Clone Wars traditional animation miniseries gave the prequel time line a much-needed boost, but the heart and soul of these characters was to be found in this show.

Kicking off with a very average feature-length episode (still no blemish on the dismal first 2 prequels), the series took a season to find its footing, experimenting with more infantile episodes and darker material (an early episode revealing General Grievous' lair is an early highlight and makes promises much of the later seasons truly deliver on).

Further bridging the gap between episodes II and III, the Clone Wars converts Tartakovsky's drawings to 3D with surprising success. The result is unique, and often quite stunning to look at. The characterizations start off a bit wooden and improve throughout, really blossoming when it comes to new characters, especially the villainous Asaj Ventress, bounty hunter Cad Bane and pirate Hondo. What worked in the films works even better here - especially Ian Abercrombie's Emperor Palpatine (often a dead ringer for McDiamrid) - and what didn't is significantly improved, sometimes in a jarring way. One could argue that Anakin Skywalker is a completely different person here than in the films, and all the better for it. And most of all, the show was free to explore story-lines and characters too remote for the films, and is often at its best in these instances: a fun 4-episode arc around droids is a case in point.

The greatest strength of the show, however, is its sense of wonder and pacing. Each episode begins "in media res", much like the original trilogy, with urgency and excitement, and rarely lets you catch your breath. Rather than let itself be handicapped by all the inconsistencies in the prequels, it forged ahead into exciting new territory.

If you still have a little spark of Star Wars loyalty left in you, this could be exactly what you need to feel vindicated.

Surprising.

Author: Dom_T4 from United Kingdom
26 April 2014

I was amazingly surprised by this series. I've always loved the Star Wars films, but until recently had avoided the animated side of things for fear that they'd be too childlike or not of terribly great quality. Watching The Clone Wars Movie didn't do much to allay my fears, although the animation was impressive the rest of the quality was questionable, to say the least.

Nonetheless I dived into watching the Clone Wars, the TV Series, and have found myself increasingly impressed & eager to watch more. The first couple of seasons were a little more child-orientated, but the plot quickly turns surprisingly dark & more fitting to the rest of the Star Wars canon.

I think this series does a remarkable job of building up characters and filling in gaps that were rather obvious between the films. The number one example is Anakin, whose character changed drastically between the films without much detail to fill in why he'd changed so much, what drove that, etc. This series does an absolutely brilliant job of explaining Anakin, and delving deeper into his character, and shows the side of Anakin, the 'light' side that we didn't get to see much of in the films. The creation/inclusion of his Padawan, Ahsoka, was a touch of genius & Ahsoka becomes more central to the plot over time.

You end up largely forgetting this series in an animation, such is the quality of the dialogue, plot lines & the level of detail sunk into almost every episode. The animation itself is beautifully done as well, and perhaps allowed a level of stunt work & lightsaber duelling that the films couldn't, not to mention the semi-regular, detailed, vivid space combat.

From being very cautious going into this series, I've come out the other side a little amazed, and I find myself wanting to go back and re-watch the series from the start in case I missed any little bits and pieces. I also found myself caring about the characters, including the clones & Ahsoka, and weighing up the decisions & moral dilemmas they faced in the gruelling atmosphere of constant combat.

Consider me converted. I would absolutely, in a heartbeat, recommend that people watch this.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]