IMDb > "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

great TV show

Author: Allen Cheng from Fiji
28 March 2011

This series was something I hoped for to bridge the gap or fill the missing plots from the Attack of the Clones and The Revenge Of The Sith movies that I had trouble understanding. I got to see how the Star Wars universe shape into itself.

The plot or story is well structured and slowly lining itself to the movie . The important thing is that it is also entertaining and sometimes not but over roll it is entertaining.

I also like the Themes, lessons that characters learn on the way and messages the characters or story portrays it. We get the chance to see in depth on how different factions run their politics, their reasons for the war and their ethics they observe. This is pretty much parallel to our world and Clone Wars gives an opportunity for us to be aware of what goes on behind the curtain of war, politics, corruption, dialog and virtue.

As for the characters well it got me to know role the clone troopers Cody and Rex as supporting characters through out the show. They happen to be my favorite characters second to Obi Wan. They bring us to the view as what the clone troopers experience during time of war pretty much as our real time soldiers. I say this move made the Stars Wars universe more diverse than being centered on the Jedis. Besides this is about the clone wars right? it would be selfish to exclude the clone troopers.

This something I believe fans look forward for and something families can sit and enjoy and entertain themselves hey it did work for mine. I hope for more from the series. Enjoy

Star Wars The Clone Wars

Author: Lievenazerty from Belgium, Diskmuide
25 October 2010

After seeing Star Wars The Clone Wars (movie) in theaters I was very disappointed. After the first few episode of the series I was very disappointed and lost all hope, man am I happy that I watched the fourth episode Rookies, after that one the series gained momentum, it became one of the best animated TV-series ever. Now were at the sixth episode of the third season, and I must say for one, the animation itself has really been upgraded, and the (dark) second season was really cool. The geonosis story-arc in the second season with spanned over five episodes was very cool and atmospheric. Of course the Jar Jar Binks episodes were not so great (to say the least), but those are three episodes stretched over three seasons, and he doesn't even make an appearance in the second season. I'm really interested to find out what happens to Ahsoka and Rex (Rex is my favorite character right now even though he didn't make an appearance yet in the third season). Ahsoka well, she started out annoying but she's growing up as a character. I really recommend seeing it.

Star Wars goes back to the basics

Author: TLSO from Massatoochetts
20 February 2010

What can I say? The prequels were hit-or-miss and the pilot movie was iffy.

I basically tuned in by accident, in the middle of an episode, but gave it a shot anyway. It has sort of a Saturday morning vibe, but that's exactly what propelled the original movies and cartoons back in the '80s. It's good vs. evil, colorful characters, fast-paced action and cornball humor.

It looks like the writers and crew are having fun with this series. I've read that they took inspiration from the Thunderbirds, and it shows. Give it a chance if you're in for some of that old-school Star Wars fun.

A most pleasant surprise

Author: Luka Kostic (fiddler_zg) from Croatia
26 November 2009

As a SW fan, I was more than a little skeptical about this new animated Star Wars project. Mostly because of the poor movie-length prequel that I saw in the theaters, but also(admittedly) because of some prejudice about how good can a Star Wars project that is animated and is going to be aired on Cartoon Network be.

Thankfully, I was proved wrong. This series grew on me ever since the first episode. In fact, by the end of Season 1 I became a huge fan. The last couple of S1 episodes were pretty amazing. There is a LOT of character development, especially Anakin and Ashoka's relationship (Ashoka BTW grew to be a pretty awesome character, compared to the annoying Ashoka from the movie) and Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship. The action scenes are great, and the scenery from the large amount of new SW worlds is nothing short of breathtaking. Actually, to my mind, some of the plot-lines were good enough, if not better, to be used in the Prequel Trilogy live-action movies. On the bad side, of course most of the actors from the prequels did not reprise their roles (although Matt Landler and James Arnold Taylor do a very good job of staying faithful to Christensen's and McGregor's portrayal of Anakin and Kenobi). Also, the animation seems a little stiff, especially considering the character's faces.

All in all, if you are a Star Wars fan, this is a MUST-SEE. If not, you may not be as interested, but still try and give a shot to this wonderful new series.

a pleasant surprise...

Author: petsound1966 from United Kingdom
8 October 2008

After hearing some of the reviews/ comments about the movie (which i have not seen) i was not looking forward to this at all.....

However i really enjoyed the first two episodes of the TV show. The action is dynamic, the characters seem well thought out (i was particularly pleased to see the return of the more eccentric Yoda we know and love from ESB in the first episode) and some of the set pieces are really good...although the battle droids are even more annoying than before (if that were possible)..

In short, far from the disaster I was anticipating and a worthy addition to the Star Wars canon...

Not bad for a Star Wars 3D cartoon show!

Author: Glen B.Wang (glenbw@live.com.my) from Malaysia
6 October 2008

Being a great fan of George Lucas's epic space opera series, it's been a great experience to watch the entire saga (yes, including the often-problematic but substantially rich prequel trilogy), understanding how it all comes to be and learning more of the universe that he, the creator has invested for the last 30 years. However, when it comes to the Expanded Universe, I'm not nearly as enthusiastic as its big brothers though there are lots of action-packed and character-driven stories to be found in between. In this case, The Clone Wars (not to be confused with Genndy Tartakovsky's brilliant 2D Clone Wars microseries) chronicles not only the major war itself but rather the journey of all the characters, both minor and major which Lucas hasn't had time to develop in the movies.

When it comes to the recent abomination that is the Clone Wars animated series (it's basically three pilot episodes combined into one), there's a greater fear that George has once again mangled with things he shouldn't have thought of: many fans will believe that it would set a bad impression on the upcoming TV series in terms of how awful and upsetting the movie has been during its run at multiplexes (of course, I haven't watched it but I have the impression that it'll be just as notorious as the Holiday Special). So, now that the new series, under the steady hands of Avatar director Dave Filoni, has made its TV debut a few days ago: what's my verdict for the first two episodes? Surprisingly, despite some minor quibbles, they turn out to be much better and more polished than expected, thanks to good (if not spectacular) storytelling and light-hearted (sometimes serious) tone of the show.

Animation wise, the characters are inspired by the models from Thunderbirds, so there's no doubt they look like stiff puppets without strings. However, there are some compliments to be made from the animators at Singapore to make them slightly more believable in terms of facial expressions (maybe not as realistic as Pixar's but hey, it's just a TV show and for me, it's already pretty darned impressive), further enhanced by brilliant voice acting, oddly ou-of-place but beautifully orchestrated soundtrack (a good thing since I've been extremely tired of synthesized music these days) and the usual Star Wars-esquire sound effects. Perhaps one of the show's most astonishing features is characterization: here, we dwell deeper into the actual heart of characters (which I admit is missing in the prequels): for example, each clone trooper has distinct thoughts and personalities which make them much more as individuals as reflected by the Jedi Masters, rather than just mere tools. It's a touching quality that will eventually place an emotional weight on the movie series, especially Revenge of the Sith. Best of all, some of the elements from the much beloved classic trilogy are implemented in this series, probably to attract purists who have longed to recapture their magic moments, even if it may not entirely succeed in certain levels.

Like every show on television, The Clone Wars is not without its flaws: part of the initial concepts of the TV series can be a little childish, considering that it is specially made for kids and the Battle Droids can get a little bit irritating, especially in the first episode where they are mostly portrayed as dim-witted cannon fodders: a major complaint amongst older viewers and stuff. But then again, if you can pass over that feeling of throwing yourself out of the window after hearing 'Roger, roger' for a hundredth time, you will surely enjoy what George and Filoni deliver for the next, um, hundred episodes!

This show is just the story of Star Wars in the period of time between the second and third Star Wars movies and soon after the first clone wars show

Author: Alexis Achilleoudis from United States
3 December 2014

This is the best show I have ever watched. I would highly recommend this show to anyone who has not seen it yet. The voice actors are great and the actor for Anakin is actually good this time. The clones are also very well made. I was just a little bit disappointed when Fives and Echo died in season 6 and the last couple of episodes in season 6 sucked. Also I am not sure whether I like Ashoka or not but Darth Maul is a beast. He is the best made villain in the show, and makes the show so much better when he kills Satin, cause Satine was the worst. Also death watch is super beast in this show, which makes season 5 much better. Captain Rex is also a beast and Commander Cody, and Commander Gree, and Fives when he is alive. Also some of the last stands were awesome. I just wish that Yoda would have been in the show more often.

A must-see to all fans

Author: t-viktor212
2 December 2014

This was a series I grew up with, but I'll try to stay objective with it.

The animated series - can we say that? - evolved/grew up during the years. At the beginning it was really kid-friendly, but, years after year, season after season it started to be filled with quite gory/scary stuff I'd rather not show to a 6-7 years old kid.

I don't think that's a negative side though, as this series managed to explain many empty points we had about either some events occurred in the movies, or the whole mysticism of the Force, a really good expansion of the saga -directly came from its inventor George Lucas - that helps fans understand better the star wars.

As I already said, the series is not completely childish, and adults could enjoy it as well.

Now, to the reason of why this didn't get a 10/10: the first season, and a few episodes we meet on the way that aren't really important story arcs. I must say that, despite season one is the only one I have on DVD, I don't really like it, has not many strong story arcs, as instead the other seasons have, also all seasons include several single episodes that are put just to fill the episode list. But yet this is saved by the absolute supremacy of the story arcs.

not always just a kits show

Author: sin42 from Singapor
10 March 2014

this show is a puzzle to me. with high coloured weird cartoon style and totally flat characters, this show has all the makings of a show for kids. but sometimes there are episodes, specially those without the all powerful, invincible and absolutely booooring jedi, that have really good writing and a greater sense for the star wars universe, with interesting twists and turns, diplomatic actions, political ramifications, real threats, real villains, desertion, tragedy and the designs are just mega awesome. those are the episodes that really speak to a wider, more mature audience and make this show enjoyable even for me.

A Great Series for Star Wars Fans!

Author: brandon-jimenez-644-272895 from California
11 July 2013

When I saw the movie, I thought it was garbage. It had everything I hated that were in the Prequels (not the Prequels themselves). And I had no interest in the show because of it. But I saw a few episodes on the internet, and I was hooked. It is a great series for Star Wars fans to watch. Everything about it is outstanding. The characters, the story arcs and individual episodes, the design, animation, I can go on for hours saying what is great about the series.

The characters they introduced and expanded upon are great. Anakin's Padawan Ahsoka, whom I rolled my eyes when they introduced in the movie, is an awesome character. She's smart, cunning, she takes action, she is fun to watch. They introduce new villains like Asajj Ventress and Cade Bane who are awesome. The show even expands upon the beloved characters from the Original and Prequel Trilogies, like Boba Fett, General Grievous, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, even Darth Maul, who they reveal in the series has survived Episode 1 and then make him one of the major villains. Even the character who only appear for a handful of episodes have depth, such as Commander Rex, Lee-Char, and Hondo Ohnaka, each of whom are characters created for the show.

Everything about the series is done in such an amazing way, it is one of the best animated series I have ever seen. If you are a Star Wars Fan, I insist you must check this series out. Skip the movie, just watch a few episodes, and I assure you'll be a better fan.

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]