IMDb > "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A welcome addition to the Star Wars Franchise

Author: Josh Winter from Canada
7 November 2013

We all love the original Star Wars movies for the journey they take us on. Through the clash of the rebellion, to the epic light saber duels. The franchise has captured us all. Star Wars the Clone Wars answers the questions that we all had watching the films, while still giving great entertainment. Answers like What happened to Darth Maul? are addressed in the series, and we get to see some of the action set in the Clone Wars (a war that wasn't really captured on screen). There are highs and lows to the series - just like there were highs and lows to the films *the phantom menace* *cough*. If I were to rate each season, I would say this

Season 1 - (8) A great season that kicks off the series introducing many new characters.

Season 2 - (10) With character development out of the way, the series takes a dark turn into gritty wars

Season 3 - (7) Worse for the same reason as I disliked the new movie trilogy: way too much politics (episode 2 of season 2 is really really good though, in my opinion, it brings the season from a 6-7)

Season 4 - (10) Wow great plot, we get more perspective from the clones point of view, with lots of emotion as we actually lose some loved characters.

overall, great series, the episodes don't follow each other too much plot wise, so if you want to save money/time just go ahead and skip season 3. There isn't much to see anyway (other than episode 2 - see that!).

Show review - (8.75)

great TV show

Author: Allen Cheng from Fiji
28 March 2011

This series was something I hoped for to bridge the gap or fill the missing plots from the Attack of the Clones and The Revenge Of The Sith movies that I had trouble understanding. I got to see how the Star Wars universe shape into itself.

The plot or story is well structured and slowly lining itself to the movie . The important thing is that it is also entertaining and sometimes not but over roll it is entertaining.

I also like the Themes, lessons that characters learn on the way and messages the characters or story portrays it. We get the chance to see in depth on how different factions run their politics, their reasons for the war and their ethics they observe. This is pretty much parallel to our world and Clone Wars gives an opportunity for us to be aware of what goes on behind the curtain of war, politics, corruption, dialog and virtue.

As for the characters well it got me to know role the clone troopers Cody and Rex as supporting characters through out the show. They happen to be my favorite characters second to Obi Wan. They bring us to the view as what the clone troopers experience during time of war pretty much as our real time soldiers. I say this move made the Stars Wars universe more diverse than being centered on the Jedis. Besides this is about the clone wars right? it would be selfish to exclude the clone troopers.

This something I believe fans look forward for and something families can sit and enjoy and entertain themselves hey it did work for mine. I hope for more from the series. Enjoy

Star Wars The Clone Wars

Author: Lievenazerty from Belgium, Diskmuide
25 October 2010

After seeing Star Wars The Clone Wars (movie) in theaters I was very disappointed. After the first few episode of the series I was very disappointed and lost all hope, man am I happy that I watched the fourth episode Rookies, after that one the series gained momentum, it became one of the best animated TV-series ever. Now were at the sixth episode of the third season, and I must say for one, the animation itself has really been upgraded, and the (dark) second season was really cool. The geonosis story-arc in the second season with spanned over five episodes was very cool and atmospheric. Of course the Jar Jar Binks episodes were not so great (to say the least), but those are three episodes stretched over three seasons, and he doesn't even make an appearance in the second season. I'm really interested to find out what happens to Ahsoka and Rex (Rex is my favorite character right now even though he didn't make an appearance yet in the third season). Ahsoka well, she started out annoying but she's growing up as a character. I really recommend seeing it.

Star Wars goes back to the basics

Author: TLSO from Massatoochetts
20 February 2010

What can I say? The prequels were hit-or-miss and the pilot movie was iffy.

I basically tuned in by accident, in the middle of an episode, but gave it a shot anyway. It has sort of a Saturday morning vibe, but that's exactly what propelled the original movies and cartoons back in the '80s. It's good vs. evil, colorful characters, fast-paced action and cornball humor.

It looks like the writers and crew are having fun with this series. I've read that they took inspiration from the Thunderbirds, and it shows. Give it a chance if you're in for some of that old-school Star Wars fun.

A most pleasant surprise

Author: Luka Kostic (fiddler_zg) from Croatia
26 November 2009

As a SW fan, I was more than a little skeptical about this new animated Star Wars project. Mostly because of the poor movie-length prequel that I saw in the theaters, but also(admittedly) because of some prejudice about how good can a Star Wars project that is animated and is going to be aired on Cartoon Network be.

Thankfully, I was proved wrong. This series grew on me ever since the first episode. In fact, by the end of Season 1 I became a huge fan. The last couple of S1 episodes were pretty amazing. There is a LOT of character development, especially Anakin and Ashoka's relationship (Ashoka BTW grew to be a pretty awesome character, compared to the annoying Ashoka from the movie) and Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship. The action scenes are great, and the scenery from the large amount of new SW worlds is nothing short of breathtaking. Actually, to my mind, some of the plot-lines were good enough, if not better, to be used in the Prequel Trilogy live-action movies. On the bad side, of course most of the actors from the prequels did not reprise their roles (although Matt Landler and James Arnold Taylor do a very good job of staying faithful to Christensen's and McGregor's portrayal of Anakin and Kenobi). Also, the animation seems a little stiff, especially considering the character's faces.

All in all, if you are a Star Wars fan, this is a MUST-SEE. If not, you may not be as interested, but still try and give a shot to this wonderful new series.

a pleasant surprise...

Author: petsound1966 from United Kingdom
8 October 2008

After hearing some of the reviews/ comments about the movie (which i have not seen) i was not looking forward to this at all.....

However i really enjoyed the first two episodes of the TV show. The action is dynamic, the characters seem well thought out (i was particularly pleased to see the return of the more eccentric Yoda we know and love from ESB in the first episode) and some of the set pieces are really good...although the battle droids are even more annoying than before (if that were possible)..

In short, far from the disaster I was anticipating and a worthy addition to the Star Wars canon...

Not bad for a Star Wars 3D cartoon show!

Author: Glen B.Wang (glenbw@live.com.my) from Malaysia
6 October 2008

Being a great fan of George Lucas's epic space opera series, it's been a great experience to watch the entire saga (yes, including the often-problematic but substantially rich prequel trilogy), understanding how it all comes to be and learning more of the universe that he, the creator has invested for the last 30 years. However, when it comes to the Expanded Universe, I'm not nearly as enthusiastic as its big brothers though there are lots of action-packed and character-driven stories to be found in between. In this case, The Clone Wars (not to be confused with Genndy Tartakovsky's brilliant 2D Clone Wars microseries) chronicles not only the major war itself but rather the journey of all the characters, both minor and major which Lucas hasn't had time to develop in the movies.

When it comes to the recent abomination that is the Clone Wars animated series (it's basically three pilot episodes combined into one), there's a greater fear that George has once again mangled with things he shouldn't have thought of: many fans will believe that it would set a bad impression on the upcoming TV series in terms of how awful and upsetting the movie has been during its run at multiplexes (of course, I haven't watched it but I have the impression that it'll be just as notorious as the Holiday Special). So, now that the new series, under the steady hands of Avatar director Dave Filoni, has made its TV debut a few days ago: what's my verdict for the first two episodes? Surprisingly, despite some minor quibbles, they turn out to be much better and more polished than expected, thanks to good (if not spectacular) storytelling and light-hearted (sometimes serious) tone of the show.

Animation wise, the characters are inspired by the models from Thunderbirds, so there's no doubt they look like stiff puppets without strings. However, there are some compliments to be made from the animators at Singapore to make them slightly more believable in terms of facial expressions (maybe not as realistic as Pixar's but hey, it's just a TV show and for me, it's already pretty darned impressive), further enhanced by brilliant voice acting, oddly ou-of-place but beautifully orchestrated soundtrack (a good thing since I've been extremely tired of synthesized music these days) and the usual Star Wars-esquire sound effects. Perhaps one of the show's most astonishing features is characterization: here, we dwell deeper into the actual heart of characters (which I admit is missing in the prequels): for example, each clone trooper has distinct thoughts and personalities which make them much more as individuals as reflected by the Jedi Masters, rather than just mere tools. It's a touching quality that will eventually place an emotional weight on the movie series, especially Revenge of the Sith. Best of all, some of the elements from the much beloved classic trilogy are implemented in this series, probably to attract purists who have longed to recapture their magic moments, even if it may not entirely succeed in certain levels.

Like every show on television, The Clone Wars is not without its flaws: part of the initial concepts of the TV series can be a little childish, considering that it is specially made for kids and the Battle Droids can get a little bit irritating, especially in the first episode where they are mostly portrayed as dim-witted cannon fodders: a major complaint amongst older viewers and stuff. But then again, if you can pass over that feeling of throwing yourself out of the window after hearing 'Roger, roger' for a hundredth time, you will surely enjoy what George and Filoni deliver for the next, um, hundred episodes!

Episode II is Shakespearean by comparison

Author: Andariel Halo (phenomynouss@hotmail.com) from Here
17 March 2009

And I'm someone who up until a few months ago, still loved the new trilogy (mostly) and I still consider Revenge of the Sith to be on par with the original trilogy. I've read at least 100 Star Wars books, and a great many of the games. I realize there is a lot of crap under the banner of Star Wars. But... this series (and likely the movie as well) is a horrendous abomination.

The dialogue is beyond horrendous, and makes the most awkward "love" scenes in Episode II feel like the work of Shakespeare by comparison. It's worse even than typical children's' shows in that while it's obviously aimed for children, it's still unbelievably terrible, and so full of stupid puns and tired expressions and dull monotonous recitation of lines that I imagine even the target audience would be bored with these sequences, and fast forward through all but the battle scenes.

Jar Jar Binks is rendered pleasant in comparison to this Padawan girl that Anakin is inexplicably given to train (Jedi Knights do not train Padawans; only Masters) whose entire role consists of generic "tough girl" sassy quips and ridicule.

The 3D animation is what you'd expect from a LucasFilms budget, but perhaps to keep themselves linked with the much more successful (even though I hated it) Clone Wars micro-sodes by Genndy Tartakovsky, they retain the stupid shapes of people's heads that consists of various juxtapositions of gravity-defying squares, circles, and polygons. Count Dooku's beard looks like the triangular front-piece of an old-time freight train, and it looks stiff as metal, too.

The battle scenes would certainly be the highest appeal for children, but for the non-children watcher, even those are usually made a mess by the constant stale quips and jabbering between Obi-Wan and Anakin and That Annoying Girl being spoken/yelled at one another throughout an entire sequence.

Obviously the point of this series is to make an open-ended source of stories, no matter how stale or hackily written, to be exploited for episode fodder and money.

A fun set of good stories with excellent characters

Author: phi0027 from Melbourne, Australia
2 July 2015

This is a great T.V show and will bring many hours of enjoyment to people who are Star Wars fans and ones that are not.People under appreciate this great series of stories! First of all, character development is fantastic and after a few episodes you will be hooked! There are a few boring episodes but the ratio of good episodes to bad, have the good outweighing the bad 5:1. The voice acting on this show is great and the ties it makes with the Star Wars universe is a nice nod to Star Wars fans. The last season they made was the best of all and with the addition of old and new characters I strongly advise watching this T.V series.

The Full Story

Author: thescribe7 from United States
29 December 2014

One thing the prequels were missing was a twist and a new side to some of the characters. For example, is Obi-Wan really as "cerebral" as he appears in the films. When was Anakin ever given any kind of a responsibility, or how many contrived ways can we bring back a popular underused character?

Ahsoka gets a lot of hate but she actually isn't that bad of a character as we go on. The humor regarding the battle droids is pretty awful but putting minor things that are irksome behind the show is not terrible. I do like how it goes into on how the clones might too be people with personalities.

We didn't get a chance to know the Jedi in the prequels very well so I'd recommend this for that purpose. Going into season three you actually get some insights on this Chosen One philosophy. Anakin's nicer qualities are given a chance to shine if that's one of the things that constantly bothered you in the prequels.

The characters they meet on the different planets can either be entertaining or very bothersome as so to speak. I'd give it a mixed rating, but if I had to be specific on what some of the good parts are I'd say the last eight episode of season five are really good.

If you're a prequel basher with nothing better to do with your time, please accept the fact that you're not a kid anymore. Remember when we used to just sit back and be entertained by a story?

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]