IMDb > "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Star Wars Saga refreshment

Author: steppy91 from Serbia
3 April 2011

"Let the Force be with you!", they say. Now, thanks to Lucasfilm it can be again!

The new, Star Wars: The Clone Wars represents a real refreshment in the Star Wars Saga. The show is, obviously, made for the fans, there for, those who do not like Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and others should not be spending their time spitting on this show.

One of the many innovations this show brings is the deeper psychology of the characters, which help us understand future moves they make. Beside the "all-known" characters, production has made many more new characters, like Ashoka Tano and bunch of Clone Troopers.

Animation has been done on highest level, so the expectations you may have will certainly be fulfilled.

Making of 4th season tells more than I will ever be able to.

Take a deep breath, sit back and enjoy the new ride through The Galaxy!

Star Wars Is Back Once More, Better Than Ever :D!!

Author: illbebackreviews from Australia
27 December 2011

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2003) was a series that was brilliantly made, and to be honest this one is even better. Its certainly more watchable, as this series contains much better visual effects and better animations. When this series first came out, I was thrilled. I immediately began watching it, and after watching the first episode 'Ambush', I realised how much GL has put into this. Unlike TPM and AOTC, this series is full of potential. The first episode proved how great this series can be, and to be honest, the episodes in Season 1 just got better and better.

Season 2 was very well done as well, maybe using Obi-wan and Anakin a bit too much. General Grievous seemed to be proved as a much stronger character than in the films, and it was certainly a high. The voices were great, the animations were great as were the storyline.

I'm very pleased to realise that these episodes begin with a voice introduction of what's going on, instead of the slanted sort of writing. Season 3 was nicely done, mainly the 'Savaga Oppress trilogy' and things got better.

There is only one thing that I wish would be changed. I now believe Obi-wan Kenobi, Anakin and Ahsoka Tano are over used, and would love more of other Jedi, especially Yoda. The only reason, I deducted two stars was because of the overuse of these three Jedi. Other than that, its brilliant.

Don't miss out just because it's a cartoon!

Author: Dan Stewart from United States
26 December 2014

I guess the problem I had at first is not uncommon - I at first wasn't interested because the look of this cartoon-series plus some of the trailers I saw suggested to me that it was mainly for kids.

Well, it of course is aimed at children somehow, but I have to say that even as an adult, this is a very entertaining show. And I actually like this series much better than Ep. 1-3. That might not be hard to do, I know, but I was quite surprised about how much more likable the characters here are.

As others have said, the show starts off rather slowly, and if you don't watch a lot of cartoons anymore, it might take a bit to get used to it. However, the story lines get better and better. There are some "meh"-episodes in there (such as one feat. Jar Jar quite a lot in season 1), but a lot of them are very entertaining, and the story lines are very good as well.

The silliness (like the often-mentioned droid voices, or some goofy or slapstick-like jokes) are OK, and don't appear too often.

I found myself MUCH more interested in the stories here than I ever was with ep. 1-3, and I guess it's sad that the cartoon-Anakin is much more likable, three-dimensional (indeed!) and a better actor than Hayden in those movies.

If you totally can NOT get into the style, then don't force yourself, but I do believe that you will miss out on a lot of cool stories and action-scenes if you simply dismiss this as "a cartoon show for little children" or anything like that. It isn't.

I'm Impressed!

Author: A_Voice from India
8 December 2013

A great series, better than its movie counter part, and much better than the animated movie.

The show has some great story arcs and some unexpected ones. Some arcs are useless, but the number is low. Season 5 being the overall best with two simply outstanding arcs and an awesome send off.

A must watch for every star wars fan, as it plunges deeper into the galaxies as well as the characters. Strong character development in many episodes. The animation and CGI keeps getting better season by season.

The series is one of the causality of Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm. The series went off air after the finale of the 5th season, leaving few major story arcs in a cliffhanger. But the good news is, Filoni stated that he will make more stuff available somehow.

Direction/Animation: Good direction, outstanding animation.

Story/Screenplay: Few great stories, few bad. Overall strong writing.

Voice acting: Not up to the mark, could have been better.

Music: Superb.

Other: good cinematography, awesome sound.

A series not to be missed, eagerly awaiting for the additional stuff that Filoni promised to release in February 2014.

A must-see to all fans

Author: t-viktor212
2 December 2014

This was a series I grew up with, but I'll try to stay objective with it.

The animated series - can we say that? - evolved/grew up during the years. At the beginning it was really kid-friendly, but, years after year, season after season it started to be filled with quite gory/scary stuff I'd rather not show to a 6-7 years old kid.

I don't think that's a negative side though, as this series managed to explain many empty points we had about either some events occurred in the movies, or the whole mysticism of the Force, a really good expansion of the saga -directly came from its inventor George Lucas - that helps fans understand better the star wars.

As I already said, the series is not completely childish, and adults could enjoy it as well.

Now, to the reason of why this didn't get a 10/10: the first season, and a few episodes we meet on the way that aren't really important story arcs. I must say that, despite season one is the only one I have on DVD, I don't really like it, has not many strong story arcs, as instead the other seasons have, also all seasons include several single episodes that are put just to fill the episode list. But yet this is saved by the absolute supremacy of the story arcs.

A widely varied look into the Clone Wars era

Author: starhorsepax from United States
5 October 2014

There are only 2 kinds of episodes in my mind: The ones I liked and the ones I had to be in the mood for.

I'll start with why I only gave it 8 out of 10.

1. The first season being out of order was very confusing to keep up with. 2. The way they aired them one got tired of certain styles: for instance, a couple of weeks with the droids before you get back to the war. Whereas if they'd done a week of droids, skipped to the war or the politicians and so on, the variety would always have been fresh. 3. The way they ignored or killed beloved Expanded Universe stories. This didn't happen often but when it did..ugh. (Example: what did they do to Quinlan Vos?! And what they did to Evan Piell was a conflict with an ending written in a very popular story. Besides which, one episode for Evan Piell was far too little.)

Why I gave it the 8:

1. I loved seeing Anakin Skywaker and Obi-Wan as heroes and friends. Also we see how that heroism of Anakin's can be twisted when those he loves are at risk. 2. I loved seeing Ahsoka Tano grow, and how that relationship affected both Anakin and Padme. 3. I loved seeing the various Jedi in action. 4. I even liked the ones with Bail Organa and Padme, because it gave a bit more to them than we see in the movies. Since Organa helped form the Rebellion, this is good stuff. 5. The animation was excellent and kept improving. 6. The stories were widely varied with something for everyone. Scary? Got it. Mystery? Got it. Western style bounty huntings, assassinations, pure war stories...got it. All of it. Funny stuff: Got Jar Jar and the droids (this comes under 'in the mood for' for me.) 7. We saw all kinds of worlds and ships and environments.

This show was at it's peak when Disney cancelled it. I think this is a real tragedy as it was just moving toward meeting up with Revenge of the Sith, and we would see Anakin becoming more disillusioned with the Jedi and how the various characters influenced that, for better or worse. The way it ends in Season 5 (and I won't say) is a guarantee that he was in for some tough times.

Excellent series!

Author: Jack Banister from United States
14 May 2014

Being that this show is on Netflix, I've motored through it and am now almost done with season 5. Though I have a season to get through still, I feel like I can give it a legit review.

For those who are wondering what the show is about, it documents the time period between Episode 2 and Episode 3. I didn't really like any of the prequels, but I decided to take a chance on this series. I'm glad I did because it tied together a lot of loose ends and things I had wondered about. It's also 10 x better than any of the prequel movies, I kid you not.

A lot of this series is about Clones fighting Droids as well as Obi Wan Kenobi vs. General Grievous and Dooku, BUT it extends to much beyond that. It gives us an inside look at the inner workings of the Jedi Council, it shows us a TON about Darth Sidious and Count Dooku (which actually make them interesting), and it shows us a bunch about Anakin that we never knew. Come to find out Dooku had several sith apprentices, Anakin had a padawan, Darth Maul was still alive (wtf!), and there's a lot more to the clones than meets the eye. We also actually see Senator Amidala have a poignant and important role in the republic (more than just being a love interest like in the films). Just a warning, if you watch this show, you might actually hate the prequels even MORE because of the lack of detail and depth in comparison to this cartoon.

THE ANIMATION: The first couple of episodes, I wasn't sold on it. It does look a BIT cheesy, but once you get used to it, you'll like it. They are able to do so much more with the series being animated and you'll come to appreciate that. Also, some may be concerned that its a kids show? Sure it is kid friendly, but it also shows plenty of violence and even some beheadings? (it does cheat away from them). You'll be plenty satisfied with the content unless you're some kind of weirdo.

THE ACTION: Great level of action in the series. Plenty of blaster fights and most importantly lightsaber duels. The lightsaber duels are impressive and frequent in this series. You'll see The Chancellor square off with Darth Maul, Anakin fight Dooku, Obi Wan fight Grievious, etc.

THE ACTING: It's animated so you have to go off of voices. The voice acting is excellent! Every voice is imitated to a TEE. From Mace Windu to Chancellor Palpatine, the voicing is on point. If you didn't know better, you'd think Obi Wan was still played by Ewan McGregor! THE PLOT: The TV series can do what the movies can NOT; go into greater detail. If you are into Star Wars like I am, you'll find this series to be a nerdgasm of info. The series also shows you a ton of alien races and details their "cultures." It's pretty interesting because you see a lot of these aliens come up in the movies.

The one thing that bothers me about the show is that it can linger on a particular subject for too long. I just finished watching a 4 episode run about four droids and an alien who steal a device from the Seperatists. It was pretty damn boring and I regret watching all of it. Just keep in mind that every season there are probably 3 or 4 throw away episodes that just SUCK. Feel free to skim the plots online instead of watching those episodes. For that reason, I have to dock two points. Otherwise it's a darn good show! Watch it! If only to tide you over until the new Star Wars movie comes out!

not always just a kits show

Author: sin42 from Singapor
10 March 2014

this show is a puzzle to me. with high coloured weird cartoon style and totally flat characters, this show has all the makings of a show for kids. but sometimes there are episodes, specially those without the all powerful, invincible and absolutely booooring jedi, that have really good writing and a greater sense for the star wars universe, with interesting twists and turns, diplomatic actions, political ramifications, real threats, real villains, desertion, tragedy and the designs are just mega awesome. those are the episodes that really speak to a wider, more mature audience and make this show enjoyable even for me.

The Redemption of Star Wars

Author: Helio Copter from United States
13 May 2014

Having recently watched the sixth and final season of this show, I feel moved to say something in its honor. Like many other people, I grew up on the original Star Wars film trilogy. Long story short, when this show debuted in 2008, my expectations had been tempered by a decade's worth of Star Wars content that had been more often than not disappointing, failing to recapture the magic of the early films. I never doubted the potential of the saga to produce great, deeply inspiring and affecting stories, but I needed a reason to believe that some of that potential would once again show up on screen.

For whatever my personal opinion is worth, The Clone Wars represents Star Wars film/television finally finding its footing again, and truly moving forward for the first time in decades. Which is to say that it's a very good show, and more than that, in its best moments it reaches into the well of magic and comes up with something worthy of the name "Star Wars."

The two most important individual accomplishments of The Clone Wars relate to its ostensible to lead characters, Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano. It's Anakin who experiences his own redemption via this show, shedding the poor casting and dreadful dialog of the live action films to finally, finally emerge as a mature, truly tragic character who makes sense as the future Darth Vader. Here, he is a believable military leader who inspires loyalty in those under his command, an idealist who indulges in spontaneity unusual for a Jedi, and a man who for all his bravado and seeming invincibility, harbors deep fears and emotional attachments.

A big part of the development of Anakin is in his relationship with his apprentice, Ahsoka. When she first appeared in the 2008 film that served as this series' effective pilot episode, it was clear that she was aimed at the demographic of younger (and particularly female) viewers. Whether she would be able to stand on her own as an interesting character remained to be seen. Well, now that the dust has settled, I will say without reservation that she is the best thing to happen to Star Wars on screen since Return of the Jedi, and as Anakin's redemption as a character mirrors that of the saga as a whole, so Ahsoka's representation of new inspiration mirrors the new inspiration that this series is to the overall saga.

Ahsoka's character development over the course of The Clone Wars is terrific, and in particular, her relationship with Anakin works wonders for both of them. In Ahsoka, Anakin finally has a female foil with who he shares genuine on screen chemistry. In short, they have a believable relationship (sorry, Padme Amidala). Ahsoka is the true heir to the mantle of Princess Leia, as an awesome space-girl character. She also allows Anakin to be seen as a responsible mentor-figure, which humanizes him in the right sort of way. Throw in Obi-Wan Kenobi, and you have a fantastically engaging trio of Jedi.

Beyond the primary characters, one of the best things about The Clone Wars is that the lens finally has time to focus on the many supporting characters populating the storyscape, from the other Jedi to the clone troopers to bounty hunters and beyond. And not just characters, but places, cultures and ideas are given screen-time that was never available them in the live-action films. One of the best examples is that of the Mandalorian culture (re: the source of Boba Fett's armor), long a part of Star Wars Expanded Universe mythology, but never seen in detail on screen until this series.

Of course, Star Wars has always reveled in inspiring visual design, and The Clone Wars contributes plenty of imaginative spaceships, aliens and environments. Suffice it to say, the Star Wars merchandising machine subsisted quite healthily off of this show. But I am not complaining.

From a technical standpoint, though, it is a relief that the writing on this show is as solid as it is. The dialog is smart and frequently witty. The plots and stories are usually streamlined, which has always been the case with Star Wars at its best, but there are some surprisingly mature themes present. A very thoughtful show, overall. Things do get surprisingly dark as the series progresses, and while there are occasional missteps, overall it is a wonderful storytelling achievement.

Do I have any gripes with this show? Well, for one, I do not buy or respect the reappearance of ***LAME SPOILER*** the assumed-dead Episode I character Darth Maul. But such quibbles are just that, in the grand scheme of things. Thankfully, this series gets far more right than it gets wrong.

The Clone Wars' predecessor, the 2003-2005 Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars "microseries," the one with the highly stylized 2D animation and mostly dialog-free action sequences, may very well have saved the soul of Star Wars. It was snappy, economical and contained no obstructions to its eye-candy aesthetic. It was short, but unimpeachably likable for a change in a way that the prequel films weren't. If that is the case, then this show -- "THE Clone Wars" -- can be said to have rebooted the heart of the saga with its emphasis on serialized story arcs, well written characters and an affecting emotional core. It gets deep, and it has something (many things, really) deeply worthwhile to say.

This is where Star Wars once again at least approaches its past greatness. This is where it begins to finally realize the potential that was always there. This is where we have a reason to believe again. For that, it has my respect and my love.

An Incredible TV Series

Author: ttt_gandalf from Canada
21 April 2014

SPOILER ALERT! "Trouble? I know nothing of this trouble! Look forward to our meeting soon I do." Yoda Yes there will be plenty of spoilers in this review, but if you're familiar with even the basic tenets of this remarkable TV series read on, because I am going to be completely honest and very candid in my remarks. Fortunately my being candid will work out in the positive because I absolutely love this TV series to death.

Let me start off by saying I am absolutely a Star Wars NUT! I love practically anything and everything related to Star Wars, it's a fun, funny, fast paced, and clean universe that George Lucas assisted in creating. I grew up on Star Wars. (I was born in the early 90's) and my childhood memories are filled with watching the original trilogy in with all the special effects and reenacting lightsaber duels and battles from all 6 of the movies. Basically i can't get enough Star Wars.

Now, onto the premise. It's the Clone Wars, and it's a tumultuous time for the Star Wars Galaxy. It's the Republic vs the Confederation and the Jedi code and Jedi tenets are being pushed to the breaking point while an insidious Palpatine commandeers and rules both sides of the conflict in the limelight and in the shadows with his sith apprenrice, Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus leading the confederation. Obi Wan Kenobi is now on the Jedi High Council and Anakin Skywalker has taken an apprentice, a Tugruta named Ahsoka Tano.

As is to be expected we see a lot of Obi Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka. In fact it could be argued that to a large degree The Clone Wars is in a way Ahsoka's series. This makes sense because Anakin and Obi-Wan's stories have already been covered and explored in depth through the other movies and novels published. We also see some recurring appearances of famous jedi such as Mace Windu, Yoda, Kit Fisto, and we even get to see that scumbag General Grievous who is really a butthurt buffoon who took a jedi withdrawal way too personally for my taste and is now one of the Galaxy's most notorious jedi killers, makes a lot of sense doesn't it? NOT! I like how the episodes are short and sweet and generally straight to the point. The recaps show some cool stuff and the graphics are amazing with a great soundtrack to back up what is already an amazing show. 2 of my complaints about the show, (and what stopped it from getting a perfect 10) are the narration voice is way over the top and at times highly annoying, and i was really disappointed with the ending. I felt so bad for Ahsoka and the arrogance of members of the Jedi Council, specifically Plo Koon and Mace Windu completely floored me. HOW COULD THEY BE SO STUPID? Ugh it rattles me to see such arrogance. Not to mention such a sad ending was kind of depressing in my books but hey i guess they had to do what they had to do.

Don't be fooled however, this is a FANTASTIC TV series! Seriously if i could only come up with 2 things wrong with this series and everything else is right then that is INCREDIBLE! I loved particularly how the first episode is all about Yoda and the clones (you can't go wrong starting with Yoda). The lightsaber duels and lightsaber action is just amazing you can tell that the creators and makers of this show put a lot of time and effort into the combat sequences. I loved in particular how there were very few episodes that didn't have at least some lightsaber action. After all, that's what the majority of people go to see at a Star Wars movie right? The big awesome lightsaber fight at the end? Yeah me too.

I also want to point out that I'm turning 24 here in a couple of months and yet I was never more emotionally invested or responsive to a TV series than i was to The Clone Wars. For some reason the fight between Count Dooku and the nightsisters is one of my favorite duels, the camera shot where they zoom in on a kneeling Dooku and him igniting his lightsaber is just epic in my opinion. Dooku truly was a gifted duelist, one of the best in my opinion for his day and age, and i wonder what it would have been like to see him in his prime instead of him being an old man at 70+ years old. Another favorite instance of mine is when Grievous absolutely gets his butt handed to him by the Gungans. Take that you arrogant cyborg! I almost literally jumped for joy out of my chair when i saw this scene. What made it all the more awesome is that there were no lightsabers on the Gungans army side, they just had electrical grenades of some sort and electric spears. Oh man that fight was so satisfying. Seeing Darth Maul come back and his brother Savage Oppress was an awesome addition to what was already an awesome TV show. The duel between Sidious, Maul and Oppress sent chills down my spine when i saw just how epic of a duelist Sidious was. I didn't even know Sidious knew Jar Kai! The duel between Obi Wan and Maul and Oppress in the cave where Obi Wan duel wields lightsabers and just picks apart Maul and Oppress had me speechless as i watched in shock at how epic of a duelist Obi Wan was as well.

The great thing about Star Wars is it's clean. No garbage to worry about. Check this series out! It is awesome!

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]