IMDb > "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Episode II is Shakespearean by comparison

Author: Andariel Halo (phenomynouss@hotmail.com) from Here
17 March 2009

And I'm someone who up until a few months ago, still loved the new trilogy (mostly) and I still consider Revenge of the Sith to be on par with the original trilogy. I've read at least 100 Star Wars books, and a great many of the games. I realize there is a lot of crap under the banner of Star Wars. But... this series (and likely the movie as well) is a horrendous abomination.

The dialogue is beyond horrendous, and makes the most awkward "love" scenes in Episode II feel like the work of Shakespeare by comparison. It's worse even than typical children's' shows in that while it's obviously aimed for children, it's still unbelievably terrible, and so full of stupid puns and tired expressions and dull monotonous recitation of lines that I imagine even the target audience would be bored with these sequences, and fast forward through all but the battle scenes.

Jar Jar Binks is rendered pleasant in comparison to this Padawan girl that Anakin is inexplicably given to train (Jedi Knights do not train Padawans; only Masters) whose entire role consists of generic "tough girl" sassy quips and ridicule.

The 3D animation is what you'd expect from a LucasFilms budget, but perhaps to keep themselves linked with the much more successful (even though I hated it) Clone Wars micro-sodes by Genndy Tartakovsky, they retain the stupid shapes of people's heads that consists of various juxtapositions of gravity-defying squares, circles, and polygons. Count Dooku's beard looks like the triangular front-piece of an old-time freight train, and it looks stiff as metal, too.

The battle scenes would certainly be the highest appeal for children, but for the non-children watcher, even those are usually made a mess by the constant stale quips and jabbering between Obi-Wan and Anakin and That Annoying Girl being spoken/yelled at one another throughout an entire sequence.

Obviously the point of this series is to make an open-ended source of stories, no matter how stale or hackily written, to be exploited for episode fodder and money.

Star Wars Is Back Once More, Better Than Ever :D!!

Author: illbebackreviews from Australia
27 December 2011

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2003) was a series that was brilliantly made, and to be honest this one is even better. Its certainly more watchable, as this series contains much better visual effects and better animations. When this series first came out, I was thrilled. I immediately began watching it, and after watching the first episode 'Ambush', I realised how much GL has put into this. Unlike TPM and AOTC, this series is full of potential. The first episode proved how great this series can be, and to be honest, the episodes in Season 1 just got better and better.

Season 2 was very well done as well, maybe using Obi-wan and Anakin a bit too much. General Grievous seemed to be proved as a much stronger character than in the films, and it was certainly a high. The voices were great, the animations were great as were the storyline.

I'm very pleased to realise that these episodes begin with a voice introduction of what's going on, instead of the slanted sort of writing. Season 3 was nicely done, mainly the 'Savaga Oppress trilogy' and things got better.

There is only one thing that I wish would be changed. I now believe Obi-wan Kenobi, Anakin and Ahsoka Tano are over used, and would love more of other Jedi, especially Yoda. The only reason, I deducted two stars was because of the overuse of these three Jedi. Other than that, its brilliant.

Star Wars Saga refreshment

Author: steppy91 from Serbia
3 April 2011

"Let the Force be with you!", they say. Now, thanks to Lucasfilm it can be again!

The new, Star Wars: The Clone Wars represents a real refreshment in the Star Wars Saga. The show is, obviously, made for the fans, there for, those who do not like Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and others should not be spending their time spitting on this show.

One of the many innovations this show brings is the deeper psychology of the characters, which help us understand future moves they make. Beside the "all-known" characters, production has made many more new characters, like Ashoka Tano and bunch of Clone Troopers.

Animation has been done on highest level, so the expectations you may have will certainly be fulfilled.

Making of 4th season tells more than I will ever be able to.

Take a deep breath, sit back and enjoy the new ride through The Galaxy!

I'm Impressed!

Author: A_Voice from India
8 December 2013

A great series, better than its movie counter part, and much better than the animated movie.

The show has some great story arcs and some unexpected ones. Some arcs are useless, but the number is low. Season 5 being the overall best with two simply outstanding arcs and an awesome send off.

A must watch for every star wars fan, as it plunges deeper into the galaxies as well as the characters. Strong character development in many episodes. The animation and CGI keeps getting better season by season.

The series is one of the causality of Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm. The series went off air after the finale of the 5th season, leaving few major story arcs in a cliffhanger. But the good news is, Filoni stated that he will make more stuff available somehow.

Direction/Animation: Good direction, outstanding animation.

Story/Screenplay: Few great stories, few bad. Overall strong writing.

Voice acting: Not up to the mark, could have been better.

Music: Superb.

Other: good cinematography, awesome sound.

A series not to be missed, eagerly awaiting for the additional stuff that Filoni promised to release in February 2014.

great TV show

Author: Allen Cheng from Fiji
28 March 2011

This series was something I hoped for to bridge the gap or fill the missing plots from the Attack of the Clones and The Revenge Of The Sith movies that I had trouble understanding. I got to see how the Star Wars universe shape into itself.

The plot or story is well structured and slowly lining itself to the movie . The important thing is that it is also entertaining and sometimes not but over roll it is entertaining.

I also like the Themes, lessons that characters learn on the way and messages the characters or story portrays it. We get the chance to see in depth on how different factions run their politics, their reasons for the war and their ethics they observe. This is pretty much parallel to our world and Clone Wars gives an opportunity for us to be aware of what goes on behind the curtain of war, politics, corruption, dialog and virtue.

As for the characters well it got me to know role the clone troopers Cody and Rex as supporting characters through out the show. They happen to be my favorite characters second to Obi Wan. They bring us to the view as what the clone troopers experience during time of war pretty much as our real time soldiers. I say this move made the Stars Wars universe more diverse than being centered on the Jedis. Besides this is about the clone wars right? it would be selfish to exclude the clone troopers.

This something I believe fans look forward for and something families can sit and enjoy and entertain themselves hey it did work for mine. I hope for more from the series. Enjoy

not always just a kits show

Author: sin42 from Singapor
10 March 2014

this show is a puzzle to me. with high coloured weird cartoon style and totally flat characters, this show has all the makings of a show for kids. but sometimes there are episodes, specially those without the all powerful, invincible and absolutely booooring jedi, that have really good writing and a greater sense for the star wars universe, with interesting twists and turns, diplomatic actions, political ramifications, real threats, real villains, desertion, tragedy and the designs are just mega awesome. those are the episodes that really speak to a wider, more mature audience and make this show enjoyable even for me.

The Redemption of Star Wars

Author: Helio Copter from United States
13 May 2014

Having recently watched the sixth and final season of this show, I feel moved to say something in its honor. Like many other people, I grew up on the original Star Wars film trilogy. Long story short, when this show debuted in 2008, my expectations had been tempered by a decade's worth of Star Wars content that had been more often than not disappointing, failing to recapture the magic of the early films. I never doubted the potential of the saga to produce great, deeply inspiring and affecting stories, but I needed a reason to believe that some of that potential would once again show up on screen.

For whatever my personal opinion is worth, The Clone Wars represents Star Wars film/television finally finding its footing again, and truly moving forward for the first time in decades. Which is to say that it's a very good show, and more than that, in its best moments it reaches into the well of magic and comes up with something worthy of the name "Star Wars."

The two most important individual accomplishments of The Clone Wars relate to its ostensible to lead characters, Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano. It's Anakin who experiences his own redemption via this show, shedding the poor casting and dreadful dialog of the live action films to finally, finally emerge as a mature, truly tragic character who makes sense as the future Darth Vader. Here, he is a believable military leader who inspires loyalty in those under his command, an idealist who indulges in spontaneity unusual for a Jedi, and a man who for all his bravado and seeming invincibility, harbors deep fears and emotional attachments.

A big part of the development of Anakin is in his relationship with his apprentice, Ahsoka. When she first appeared in the 2008 film that served as this series' effective pilot episode, it was clear that she was aimed at the demographic of younger (and particularly female) viewers. Whether she would be able to stand on her own as an interesting character remained to be seen. Well, now that the dust has settled, I will say without reservation that she is the best thing to happen to Star Wars on screen since Return of the Jedi, and as Anakin's redemption as a character mirrors that of the saga as a whole, so Ahsoka's representation of new inspiration mirrors the new inspiration that this series is to the overall saga.

Ahsoka's character development over the course of The Clone Wars is terrific, and in particular, her relationship with Anakin works wonders for both of them. In Ahsoka, Anakin finally has a female foil with who he shares genuine on screen chemistry. In short, they have a believable relationship (sorry, Padme Amidala). Ahsoka is the true heir to the mantle of Princess Leia, as an awesome space-girl character. She also allows Anakin to be seen as a responsible mentor-figure, which humanizes him in the right sort of way. Throw in Obi-Wan Kenobi, and you have a fantastically engaging trio of Jedi.

Beyond the primary characters, one of the best things about The Clone Wars is that the lens finally has time to focus on the many supporting characters populating the storyscape, from the other Jedi to the clone troopers to bounty hunters and beyond. And not just characters, but places, cultures and ideas are given screen-time that was never available them in the live-action films. One of the best examples is that of the Mandalorian culture (re: the source of Boba Fett's armor), long a part of Star Wars Expanded Universe mythology, but never seen in detail on screen until this series.

Of course, Star Wars has always reveled in inspiring visual design, and The Clone Wars contributes plenty of imaginative spaceships, aliens and environments. Suffice it to say, the Star Wars merchandising machine subsisted quite healthily off of this show. But I am not complaining.

From a technical standpoint, though, it is a relief that the writing on this show is as solid as it is. The dialog is smart and frequently witty. The plots and stories are usually streamlined, which has always been the case with Star Wars at its best, but there are some surprisingly mature themes present. A very thoughtful show, overall. Things do get surprisingly dark as the series progresses, and while there are occasional missteps, overall it is a wonderful storytelling achievement.

Do I have any gripes with this show? Well, for one, I do not buy or respect the reappearance of ***LAME SPOILER*** the assumed-dead Episode I character Darth Maul. But such quibbles are just that, in the grand scheme of things. Thankfully, this series gets far more right than it gets wrong.

The Clone Wars' predecessor, the 2003-2005 Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars "microseries," the one with the highly stylized 2D animation and mostly dialog-free action sequences, may very well have saved the soul of Star Wars. It was snappy, economical and contained no obstructions to its eye-candy aesthetic. It was short, but unimpeachably likable for a change in a way that the prequel films weren't. If that is the case, then this show -- "THE Clone Wars" -- can be said to have rebooted the heart of the saga with its emphasis on serialized story arcs, well written characters and an affecting emotional core. It gets deep, and it has something (many things, really) deeply worthwhile to say.

This is where Star Wars once again at least approaches its past greatness. This is where it begins to finally realize the potential that was always there. This is where we have a reason to believe again. For that, it has my respect and my love.

An Incredible TV Series

Author: ttt_gandalf from Canada
21 April 2014

SPOILER ALERT! "Trouble? I know nothing of this trouble! Look forward to our meeting soon I do." Yoda Yes there will be plenty of spoilers in this review, but if you're familiar with even the basic tenets of this remarkable TV series read on, because I am going to be completely honest and very candid in my remarks. Fortunately my being candid will work out in the positive because I absolutely love this TV series to death.

Let me start off by saying I am absolutely a Star Wars NUT! I love practically anything and everything related to Star Wars, it's a fun, funny, fast paced, and clean universe that George Lucas assisted in creating. I grew up on Star Wars. (I was born in the early 90's) and my childhood memories are filled with watching the original trilogy in with all the special effects and reenacting lightsaber duels and battles from all 6 of the movies. Basically i can't get enough Star Wars.

Now, onto the premise. It's the Clone Wars, and it's a tumultuous time for the Star Wars Galaxy. It's the Republic vs the Confederation and the Jedi code and Jedi tenets are being pushed to the breaking point while an insidious Palpatine commandeers and rules both sides of the conflict in the limelight and in the shadows with his sith apprenrice, Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus leading the confederation. Obi Wan Kenobi is now on the Jedi High Council and Anakin Skywalker has taken an apprentice, a Tugruta named Ahsoka Tano.

As is to be expected we see a lot of Obi Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka. In fact it could be argued that to a large degree The Clone Wars is in a way Ahsoka's series. This makes sense because Anakin and Obi-Wan's stories have already been covered and explored in depth through the other movies and novels published. We also see some recurring appearances of famous jedi such as Mace Windu, Yoda, Kit Fisto, and we even get to see that scumbag General Grievous who is really a butthurt buffoon who took a jedi withdrawal way too personally for my taste and is now one of the Galaxy's most notorious jedi killers, makes a lot of sense doesn't it? NOT! I like how the episodes are short and sweet and generally straight to the point. The recaps show some cool stuff and the graphics are amazing with a great soundtrack to back up what is already an amazing show. 2 of my complaints about the show, (and what stopped it from getting a perfect 10) are the narration voice is way over the top and at times highly annoying, and i was really disappointed with the ending. I felt so bad for Ahsoka and the arrogance of members of the Jedi Council, specifically Plo Koon and Mace Windu completely floored me. HOW COULD THEY BE SO STUPID? Ugh it rattles me to see such arrogance. Not to mention such a sad ending was kind of depressing in my books but hey i guess they had to do what they had to do.

Don't be fooled however, this is a FANTASTIC TV series! Seriously if i could only come up with 2 things wrong with this series and everything else is right then that is INCREDIBLE! I loved particularly how the first episode is all about Yoda and the clones (you can't go wrong starting with Yoda). The lightsaber duels and lightsaber action is just amazing you can tell that the creators and makers of this show put a lot of time and effort into the combat sequences. I loved in particular how there were very few episodes that didn't have at least some lightsaber action. After all, that's what the majority of people go to see at a Star Wars movie right? The big awesome lightsaber fight at the end? Yeah me too.

I also want to point out that I'm turning 24 here in a couple of months and yet I was never more emotionally invested or responsive to a TV series than i was to The Clone Wars. For some reason the fight between Count Dooku and the nightsisters is one of my favorite duels, the camera shot where they zoom in on a kneeling Dooku and him igniting his lightsaber is just epic in my opinion. Dooku truly was a gifted duelist, one of the best in my opinion for his day and age, and i wonder what it would have been like to see him in his prime instead of him being an old man at 70+ years old. Another favorite instance of mine is when Grievous absolutely gets his butt handed to him by the Gungans. Take that you arrogant cyborg! I almost literally jumped for joy out of my chair when i saw this scene. What made it all the more awesome is that there were no lightsabers on the Gungans army side, they just had electrical grenades of some sort and electric spears. Oh man that fight was so satisfying. Seeing Darth Maul come back and his brother Savage Oppress was an awesome addition to what was already an awesome TV show. The duel between Sidious, Maul and Oppress sent chills down my spine when i saw just how epic of a duelist Sidious was. I didn't even know Sidious knew Jar Kai! The duel between Obi Wan and Maul and Oppress in the cave where Obi Wan duel wields lightsabers and just picks apart Maul and Oppress had me speechless as i watched in shock at how epic of a duelist Obi Wan was as well.

The great thing about Star Wars is it's clean. No garbage to worry about. Check this series out! It is awesome!

Better than the prequels. Yeah, I went there.

Author: Liam Murray from Wake Forest, North Carolina
1 March 2014

This is easily the best animated television show out there. Unlike the cartoon micro-series from 2003-2005, this 3D series focuses less on bridging the gap between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith and instead delves deep into the events, mysteries and consequences of the actual war. It forges its own destiny rather than acting as a mere bridge series. The poorly written feature film was a rather sloppy introduction, but it was nothing more than a failed attempt to establish more continuity between the show and Episode II.

Though I still cling to my belief that the prequels are underrated films, here's a few reasons why this show is better. First off, it is far more faithful to the spirit of the original trilogy - less of that political stuff and more of a fun sense of adventure. Though at times it may seem a little too lighthearted (it's kind of directed towards the younger audiences) it rarely ceases to be incredibly engaging, and it does become more serious as the seasons progress and starts to feature more high-stakes action. Perfectly accessible to any generation of Star Wars fans.

Next there's the characterization. This time the characters actually have some genuine emotion, their dialogue feels so much less forced, and their development over the course of the series is surprisingly good. There's also more focus on the clones themselves and some diversity among them in terms of personality, and most of the characters are solidly voice-acted. And yes, it does have the disadvantage of including Jar-Jar Binks in a few episodes, but that thankfully doesn't drown the entire show.

The story structure, of course, is incredible. I'd go so far as to call it the best Star Wars storytelling since the first Knights of the Old Republic game (which remains my favorite story arc in the entire Star Wars universe). Far more compelling than that of the prequels. As it is with the other elements of the show, it improves each season.

All in all, Star Wars: The Clone Wars is an astonishing show. Nothing on Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or Dexter, but it's up there most definitely. The minor hiccups like the inclusion of Jar-Jar and a bit of iffy dialogue here and there are insignificant next to the sheer spectacle of it.

A welcome addition to the Star Wars Franchise

Author: Josh Winter from Canada
7 November 2013

We all love the original Star Wars movies for the journey they take us on. Through the clash of the rebellion, to the epic light saber duels. The franchise has captured us all. Star Wars the Clone Wars answers the questions that we all had watching the films, while still giving great entertainment. Answers like What happened to Darth Maul? are addressed in the series, and we get to see some of the action set in the Clone Wars (a war that wasn't really captured on screen). There are highs and lows to the series - just like there were highs and lows to the films *the phantom menace* *cough*. If I were to rate each season, I would say this

Season 1 - (8) A great season that kicks off the series introducing many new characters.

Season 2 - (10) With character development out of the way, the series takes a dark turn into gritty wars

Season 3 - (7) Worse for the same reason as I disliked the new movie trilogy: way too much politics (episode 2 of season 2 is really really good though, in my opinion, it brings the season from a 6-7)

Season 4 - (10) Wow great plot, we get more perspective from the clones point of view, with lots of emotion as we actually lose some loved characters.

overall, great series, the episodes don't follow each other too much plot wise, so if you want to save money/time just go ahead and skip season 3. There isn't much to see anyway (other than episode 2 - see that!).

Show review - (8.75)