IMDb > "The Colbert Report" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Colbert Report"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Colbert Report" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Delightful

Author: brockmporter from United States
18 October 2005

I didn't know what to expect when I saw this show. Comedy Central has a way of releasing shows that look promising, and then disappointing me with them.

But the Colbert Report is very funny, slightly ridiculous, and definitely worth the time.

It's a parody of shows like the O'Reilley Factor. It has a host (Daily Show veteran Stephen Colbert)whose persona is very self-important and self-centered. His name is on everything, all over the set, and his desk is shaped like a giant C. (C stands for Colbert, he reminds us).

The show consists primarily of Stephen Colbert, in his Daily Show persona, sitting at a desk and giving his opinions on things. It's all done in the spirit of satire, parodying popular journalism and the tendency of people who have no expertise to get a lot of camera time, despite the fact that their opinions are basically worthless.

All in all, the show is very funny, and very edgy. I think Stephen Colbert is a good investment for Comedy Central.

The Best US TV Satire In History

Author: J (jgkinoz@hotmail.com) from UK
21 October 2005

Colbert has made the best satirical TV show in US history.

This 22 minute show is three shows. So I'd say Stephen Colbert has made the best three satirical US TV shows. With Jon Stewart's Daily Show in fourth place.

First this is a show that spoofs the stupid US news TV. With a segment The Word which is comedy GOLD.

Second this is a talk show where Stephen walks into a set where the guest is already sitting or standing sometimes in the dark. He runs in front of them and takes all the applause. There is no time for applause for the guest. Stephen is a one of histories greatest interviewers.

Third it is an investigative reporting show which is more honest and insightful than the US "media manipulated" news and makes a genuine connection with the audience.

I wish I could buy stocks in Stephen. Two word review: "Thankyou Colbert!".

This show is surprisingly awesome!

Author: Bryan Hamade from United States
19 October 2005

Colbert is right when he says that he has balls. He says things on his show that Jon Stewart doesn't have the balls to say for example: the "Better Know a District" in which he interviewed Jack Kingston.

"So you were raised in Ethiopia?" "No I only lived there till I was 2 so I don't remember much." "What was it like being raised in Ethiopia?" Just some of the stuff he says gets me rolling. He then went on to call the man an African American and ask how it helps him to be an African American in congress and how he helps the working class.

I also love "The Word" which is basically a moment for him to completely tear apart the issue of the night. Always on the side are random "pointers" that always have some funny connotation to them. Overall so far this show seems to be a resounding success and I hope it continues down this great path. I still love the Daily Show and think Comedy Central did what the fans wanted. Many fans wanted the Daily Show to be extended to an hour so this pretty much is what they wanted if not better.

In the end the truth is that Stephen Colbert is awesome and his show is too.

already looking forward to many more episodes

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
18 October 2005

Last night's first episode of the Colbert Report was a sign of great things to come. Stephen Colbert has already made his name as a correspondent on The Daily Show (sometimes under brilliantly ridiculous monachers), and branching out onto his own show I'm looking forward to more. If there is more to be expected, with more variety, it's definitely welcome, but on sight of the first episode I'm already hyped for it. Basically, Colbert is a combination of the several 'taling-head' talk-show hosts on Cable TV news networks, with huge egos in the guise of traditional journalism. In particular, one can see the lampooning of Bill O'Reilly, which whether or not you're a fan of his you'll find some humor (I'm very much not, but it may not be too deterring for O'Reilly's main base). The set-ups like 'The Word', and a competition with another TV correspondent with strange phrasing, are hysterical, and sometimes more subtle than the Daily Show material.

If you like Colbert's stuff, it's a must-see, and if you're a newcomer to the show (and might not watch the Daily Show much) it's worth a viewing. One thing's for sure, like the Daily Show, it's a breath of fresh air in the realm of the mildly outrageous.

Colbert Report

Author: Nora-65 from United States
10 March 2006

Funny to the bone. I adore the show, Steven is so appealing. My husband and I plan our evening around the Report. I cant take the news any more, it's so depressing, frustrating and totally black (the "regular" news creates bias just through how they word things - it's just inherent in language). However, both the Colbert Report and Daily show inform me while satirizing. It's a winning combination. I think Steven Colbert is brilliant. He is one of the writers for the show and all the writers seem super imaginative and right on target. His delivery is usually mesmerizing. I think this show appeals to a wide age range. I'm in my late 50s and I think there may be a younger demographic in general for Colbert. Maybe it's more of an attitude that we have in common. The show is like O'Reilly on luminescently clear hallucinogens. Steven maintains a double approach: faking a right punch, but actually hits with the left. He has appeal to clear-thinking logical folks who also love to laugh. How else can we get through this madness except with comedy?

Brilliant!

Author: tamingoftheshru from United States
7 November 2005

Not being a usual Daily Show viewer (It's funny, but doesn't merit my addiction), I only found out about The Colbert Report 8 episodes into it. The first episode I saw was the one about Harriet Miers, and from then on I was hooked. Colbert is absolutely brilliant. The show is hilarious...from his ridiculous interviews, to The Word ("Quitter" on the Miers episode), to Colbert's aura of gravitas and his wicked wit, the show is nothing short of amazing. Better than the Daily Show any day. The only bad thing about The Colbert Report is the fact that it's only on four nights a week.

And, to end on an awesome quote - On Harriet Miers: "It is good you quit, because you are a quitter. Not an 'acquitter,' because only judges can acquit, and you will never be a judge, because you are a quitter." -Stephen Colbert

Damn Funny

Author: fuel1band-1 from United States
17 October 2005

The Colbert Report features The Daily Show's Stephen Colbert behind his own anchor desk on his own show. The entire set was designed to parody the sets of most newsrooms, with the name of the show appearing nearly everywhere, illuminated with bright lights. Colbert's desk was even shaped like a giant C. Anyway, onto the content.

The first show had a hilarious contest between anchor Stone Philips and Colbert, where each sought to display their "gravitas," essentially saying pointless, meaningless b.s. in the serious tone of a reporter. It also featured Colbert parodying Bill O'Reilly's talk of "elite media" on his show. Colbert's dress is even similar to O'Reilly's. I hope the mock-O'Reilly theme continues. Overall, it didn't appear as good as the Daily Show, but then again, it may be too early to tell...

Every bit as good as "The Daily Show"

Author: mfrerkes from United States
13 January 2006

Jon Stewart and the Daily Show crew are masters at taking bland, idiotic political bickering and turning it into some of the funniest comedy on television. Stephen Colbert has shown a similar talent with respect to political punditry. Commentators like Bill O' Reilly undoubtedly have their hardcore followers, but to most Americans these type of politically-driven TV personalities come off as obnoxious blow-hards. Colbert does an excellent job capturing the pomposity and intellectual dishonesty of what, unfortunately in this age, is referred to as political commentary. For example, he teased an upcoming segment about the Intelligent Design debate by stating: "Coming up, I'll ask a leading expert in evolution why he hates The Lord." Parody such as that is not only hilarious, but is an eerily accurate depiction of what you find on the cable TV news "debate shows." Highly recommended to anyone, especially those who think the political arena in the United States has become a sad, pathetic three-ring circus.

Funny

Author: DANDEBSOF from United States
2 November 2005

I think The Colbert Report is very funny. Stephen Colbert is a very witty man as is his show. I am not sure if it will stay on the air and for how long because often times Spin-offs don't last a long time, but I enjoy watching it. I get several good laughs from it; I especially enjoy The Word of the Day! I LOVE the Daily Show With Jon Stewart. I think that when things are bad and you can't do anything about it, laughter is a wonderful wonderful thing. I trust The Daily Show to give me the best news and I have a fantabulous time watching it. Stephen Colbert has done a great job on the Daily Show and his presence has continued with his own show. Watch The Colbert Report and find out what Stephen Colbert thinks...its entertainment!

Thank the heavens for Colbert ...

Author: speckled10 from Melbourne, Australia
29 May 2009

Where do I begin with Stephen Colbert and the report - quite simply it has revived my spirits that the world we live in can still bring to us a show and a person who can deliver what no-one else in any media can.

Incredibly funny, sharp, incisive, clever, biting the adjectives are endless. Colbert's brilliance is - as others have put it - the fake punch. Pretending to oppose his interviewees while actually pointing the sharp end at the corruption & evils of the world that we live in right now.

Stephen promotes Science, Space Travel, Environmental Awareness, Equality & Racial/Religious tolerance (he is the *ONLY* pro-catholic non-Christian-bashing person in any form of mainstream media anywhere on the planet right now). And he manages all this and many more positive messages with his incredibly funny, self-absorbed on-screen persona that rightfully has the audience in stitches when they're not on their feet cheering.

I proudly bought my C.O.L.B.E.R.T. patch at NASA Kennedy Space Center (so good I had to buy two!) and will wear & display them to anyone who will notice, and try to tell as many people as I can to watch this show.

So Heroes - you are all officially mobilized to Code-Sierra-Alpha, and spread the WORD to everyone about the greatest satirical show in the history of television !!

Long live Stephen. Stephen for President. Stephen for Pope. Stephen for King. etc...

Adrian