IMDb > "The Closer" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Closer"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Closer" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

As a professional woman, I *love* this show

Author: from Oregon
28 December 2005

And as a professional woman, why was I surprised by the nasty comments about the lead character? One poster missed the point entirely when he wrote that all of the detectives working for her submitted their resignations after the first meeting because she was a real bitch. They submitted their requests for transfer BEFORE EVEN MEETING HER. Under the circumstances, her behavior was pretty restrained. How I wish I could think up some of the responses she comes up with -- and had the guts to utter them!

And what's with the comments on her clothing? If Sipowicz had shown up, would you have questioned his credibility as a leader because he doesn't look like he walked off the pages of GQ? Few men in my workplace look like they spend a lot of time thinking about their wardrobe (to their credit, imo); why do you hold women to such a ridiculous standard?

I love the junk food theme. When was the last time you saw a fresh green salad in a police department? Oh to be starving and to see only donuts (forbidden food) lying around!

She's human -- a little bedraggled sometimes, a little neurotic about what she eats, not a paragon of organization... why can't you find that likable? If she were the stereotypical cold blue-suited automaton you seem to expect, you'd hate her even more, wouldn't you?

Wait... maybe all you hostile posters are just constructing an elaborate parody of how some men treat professional women. My bad; you're brilliant!

Engaging Excellent Entertainment

Author: Kennedy63 from United States
29 August 2007

After watching every episode of "The Closer" up to the current one (final episode Sept. 2007), I feel it's time for me to commend every aspect of this series about an elite homicide squad.

Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson (Kyra Segdewick) is consistently one of the most engaging television series characters I've seen in a very long time. She's the star but certainly not alone in delivering quite engaging, excellent characterization, and entertaining performances.

This series goes to show that today's television doesn't have to depict violence, gore, profanity, or much that older children couldn't watch. Yet, for an adult who likes Cronenberg's and Lynch's films, this clean cut show is quite interesting without being too 'vanilla'.

Sedgewick has really come into her character by this third season and I like it far better than "24" which has now become monotonously predictable. There's no guessing what Deputy Chief Johnson will do to protect and close one of her cases!

The Closer is not a mystery

Author: rook01 from United States
20 August 2005

I have to laugh at the critics here who criticize that the show points to the killers.

The concept of the Closer to me is not that she solves the case but how she uses different interrogation techniques to get the killers to confess. In the first episode, she uses the woman's homophobia to get her to admit that she knew the person had a sex change operation. It prevents a heat of passion defense and establishes premeditation.

The car jacking episode with the autistic boy she is able to use the fact that federal and state are considered separate sovereigns. Thus she could promise immunity on state charges knowing the car jacking made it a federal case and the guilty confessor would not get away scott free.

With the Abu Ghraib scandal and this belief that you have to torture people to get information, the Closer ironically shows that good and effective interrogation does not have to involve physical abuse.

TNT is not my favorite network but for once they did something right. I may forgive them someday for ruining the NBC Pretender series with their made for TV movie continuation that was god awful. This is the only series I can remember TNT doing that I like. They even screwed up Witchblade.

Postscript The Closer will be back judging by the ratings listed in the LA Times. The Closer is averaging 5.3 million viewers which is a hit on basic cable.

Characters and relationship dynamics are the focus ....

Author: kazaadude2000 from Philippines
9 July 2006

The crime aspect of this show is pretty good, but not extraordinary. This should NOT be the reason to watch the show. If you're looking for that, look somewhere else.

Watch the show for the charming character portrayed by Kyra Sedgewick, who looks like she's in over her head and a mess, but never really is. You won't like her much at first, then she'll start to grow on you and you can't wait for the next episodes. Watch it for the old Lt. Provenza, who you probably wouldn't mind punching in the face ... then episodes later, he's one of your favorite characters on the show. The characters is what makes this show good, and the crimes only further bring out their own .. uh .. character. The script dialog is also very witty. And the acting is very, very good.

If that's what you're looking for, then great. If you're looking for CSI, watch CSI. :)

2005's Newest and BEST drama

Author: MacLovesMoon from Orlando, Florida
21 July 2005

Sure, this could fall into the category with the other Law and Orders and CSI's but something about this show really stands out probably because its aired on TNT and you'd expect there to be some cheesy movie of the week quality about it. Like Law and Order the show puts more focus on the cases themselves rather than the personal lives of the characters, but The Closer opens the door a little more. Kyra is really what draws in people to this show, it's something about her character's charm despite the fact the character is from the often ridiculed south. The writers were also keen to make Brenda Johnson a real person, not some super-hero who always wins and always knows the every move of the bad guy; sometimes Brenda makes mistakes and pays for them and sometimes she is insecure about her looks or being freshly relocated to the big city of Los Angelos. The show just started this summer and I wish it the best of luck, I hope it can become as acclaimed as all the other crime dramas we've got on the airwaves today

the Closer is the BEST TV Series to hit late night TV since Law and Order

Author: Linz48 from United States
16 August 2005

Dear TNT, I absolutely love Kyra Sedgwick. This part was made for her. I actually find myself laughing every time she ends her sentence with that little sarcastic "Thank You, thank ya-ll very much". She's adorable. It was great to see G.W Bailey cast as one of the cops. He is a terrific actor and is never given enough credit. He is very amusing as this character. I plan my Monday nights around THE CLOSER. I had recently seen an advertisement indicating that the series is only for the summer!!! Why would any network reel in an audience only to cut them off in September. This is a HIT series !!!!. Why is TNT not going forward with this fabulous show. And, most importantly, what am I going to do on Monday nights if this show ends.!!!! Please have someone re-consider keeping this show on the air. There are those of us out there who are educated and appreciate good TV: CSI, NYPD, Law and Order and THE CLOSER!!! We are sick of these mindless reality series, only made for idiots. Sincerely, Chris Lindsay R.N.C. in Poughkeepsie, NY

Wonderfully character driven laughs and drama

Author: rogue719 from United States
10 July 2006

An outstanding drama that dances on the edge of being a formula cop show and a soap opera. Brenda Lee Johnson is an outstanding interrogator with a background of being difficult to work with but achieving great results. However, her personal life is a mess. She is hired from Atlanta to head LAPD's Priority Crimes Unit for those high profile crimes that need a resolution and need it quickly. Tensions arise immediately. Her brusque style makes her own people want to transfer away, her boss is a former lover who dumped her and she manages to make many more enemies than friends. The crimes are formula enough that you can probably figure out whodunit before you get to the climax but it's the characters and relationships that sell the show and make it worth watching. Not only is Kyra Sedgwick giving the performance of her life in this series but she has a terrific supporting cast that gives the series heart. The ability of the writers to also give us some great comic lines keeps the show teetering at times from comedy to drama. The first season is already out on DVD. Watch it from the first episode to the last, in order, and you can see why this show has become the most watched show in basic cable history.

Great show

Author: danadavis67867 from United States
21 September 2005

I didn't see the first episode of this series, but from the first time I watched it I could tell it would be one of my favorite shows. And I wasn't disappointed. There are so many things I love about this show, but most of all it is hilarious to watch the characters interact with each other. Kyra Sedgwick excellently portrays a tough woman who won't let people walk all over her. People complain that Brenda is a b****, but maybe that's the point. What fun would it be to watch a show with nothing but sweetness and joy between the main characters, no conflict whatsoever? The tension she endures and often causes just makes the show all the more entertaining.

What is most irritating, however, is to hear people complain about how the perpetrators in each show is obvious. Anybody who had listened what TNT had been saying about the show before it premiered would know that they said from the beginning that this show would be unlike other crime dramas in that the crime would not be the main focus. This show is ABOUT Brenda Johnson.

So, in conclusion, this is an excellent, intelligent, amusing show, and I am sad to see the season end.

The Closer

Author: Luvjoy1948-1 from United States
6 August 2005

The Closer is one of the best new shows on television today. Kyra Sedgwick does an outstanding job. She shows that women can handle themselves in the law enforcement industry. She has a tough time fitting in with the male members of her team because she is so much brighter and more insightful then they are. I also feel they are rather intimidated by her actions. She is able to get more information from the law breakers then the men can. I believe she makes the show what it is. She is an amazing actress. I am also a fan of all the Law and Order shows. I feel this one is up to the same standards as those as are the CSI shows. I think this show should continue and will rank close with the other law and order shows. Give this show a chance and it will surprise you. I am glad the network took the chance with this new show because it shows that they looked beyond the negativity that some viewers might have with shows like this one.

Brenda Is The Bomb!

Author: pamelapace-1 from United States
30 April 2007

I am not a regular TV watcher, but when I saw 3 back-to-back episodes of The Closer while on vacation in Hawaii, I was utterly hooked!

There are not enough superlatives in the English language to convey how awesome Kyra Sedgwick is in this role. The writing is superb and I'm almost salivating as I eagerly await the DVD set of the second season. I thoroughly enjoyed the 4-disc DVD set of the entire first season and will usurp sole possession of TV remote on June 12, 2007 so that my hubby won't be able to interrupt my sweet fix of watching my new favorite TV star in this season's debut episode.

Here's to Kyra Sedgwick's Emmy for her stellar, spellbinding, hilarious, adorable portrayal of TV's newest heroine, Brenda Lee Johnson.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]