IMDb > Adventures of Johnny Tao (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Adventures of Johnny Tao

Adventures of Johnny Tao More at IMDbPro »

In my opinion action and comedy are very hard to mix well but this movie did a great job

Author: Angel Frost from United States
7 August 2007

I spend a lot of my time watching television and movies and a lot of times i cant think of what to watch. action, adventure, comedy, horror, suspense, or thriller. I love it when i get to watch a movie like this one that has it all, and man they did a great job of mixing in just the right amount of each genre, especially the comedy. suddle enough not to turn the movie into a pure comedy but enough to make you laugh out loud. I also love the casting, i see a lot of greats in the cast list, no wonder it came out so well. I almost didn't want the movie to end. well maybe the writer/director will give us a sequel! This is a definite must see movie.

Rock 'n Roll, the Living Dead and Martial Arts mix it up

Author: joeblitman from United States
13 August 2007

This was a thoroughly enjoyable mix of genres - lots of unexpected (but carefully planned) laughs and jolts. The camera work and direction are top notch and the performances very even and pleasing.

While some of it could be labeled parody, the writing/directing seems completely aware of the demands of the genres and knows when to wink at them and when to treat them seriously. As a viewer, I felt totally comfortable during "the ride."

The fight in the alleyway is a standout, as is all of the stunt work, actually. Careful planning is evident, but nothing looks stagy or mechanical.

All in all, a very satisfying couple of hours in the dark.

Perfect for you Saturday Mornings

Author: beyond_eibon from United States
7 August 2007

If you're waking up in the morning and tired of watching bad re-runs of Power Rangers...this is a good alternative. The imaginative tale of Kung Fu, Comedy, Demons & Rock-Billy is fused quite well.

The story begins with an ancient Chinese Demon trapped for centuries and released in a small soon to be ghost town. Johnny Tao is young kid dealing with pressures of taking care of his brother and struggling in an economically crushed town. The only thing keeping him going is watching/studying classic Kung Fu films. Now you have Demons running a what is a teen too do?....Kick some ass.

This mixer keeps the movie going and enjoyable to watch. Recommend checking it out with your kids.

Great cult movie!

Author: mdcowboy from United States
8 July 2011

*This review contains spoilers*

This is fun movie that I knew would be great before I even watched it. I mean, come on, this movie is classified (not on IMDb) as a "kung-fu zombie" movie. That practically guarantees this movie to be a good time!If you don't take this movie too seriously, you'll have a good time. It tells the tale of a dude named Johnny, who lives in a boring little town, practicing kung-fu that he learned watching old chopsockies, while managing his gas station/museum with the help of his UFO-obsessed friend, Eddie. When Eddie finds a piece of a cursed spear in the desert, a Chinese demon inside possesses him. Now, he goes through the town, infecting others and making them into his slaves. Only Johnny, with the help of his friend Mika, part of a long line of warriors trained to fight the demon, and the use of the other part of the spear, hidden inside his father's guitar, can he kill the demon and restore order.

Yeah, that's a really convoluted plot, but well-choreographed fight scenes, good special FX, and nice acting make this a fun, action-packed indie movie that plays out well. B+

I really liked this movie!

Author: kelly-668 from United States
6 August 2007

I liked the simplicity and clarity of the story, the story-telling, and the fight sequences. In an age where it seems like every film is computer generated and you're never sure if your watching the actors or a computer geek in Silicone Valley's work, it was refreshing to see a film that went back to the basics. I liked the characters and cared about their plight, the story kept moving and had a number of surprises, and I wasn't bombarded with images my children couldn't watch. There needs to be more films like this. I simply enjoyed watching this film and hope more film-makers go back to the basics. This is a perfect example of the fact that it is the "steak" we want, not the "sizzle". Johnny Tao is a really nice piece of steak.

Excellent family/action/kung fu /just for fun movie

Author: mossless from United States
23 June 2006

This movie is just fun. Not pretentious, no deep messages, no agenda other than being entertaining. A little formulaic, but sometimes it's fun to know what is going to happen. And enough surprises to keep you paying attention. Fans of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will feel right at home, with the action and even some of the costuming reminiscent of those movies and Saturday morning shows. No turtles, but the flavor is there. Maybe because the writer/director Kenn Scott was one of the original Turtles (Raphael)? :-)

Kelly Perine was excellent! (bias alert: his sister is a friend of our family) Classic comedy and some great lines and action moves. :-) This is a must see movie for families or anyone that wants a good action flick, without all the attitude and vulgarity that seems to be sprinkled in most movies of this type. Pure entertainment that doesn't try to be anything more.

Grab some popcorn and enjoy!

Great Fight Sequences.

Author: Paul-2175 from United States
7 August 2007

This film has some great fight sequences! I especially like the one in the diner. Rivals anything I have seen.Mike Gunther and Marcus Young have done a great job. Director Ken Scott keeps the film moving and makes sure to keep the fun tone throughout. This film is outstanding , especially because it was made independently. these fight sequences must have taken days to choreograph and it shows on screen, it's is amazing that they were able to pull it off with a modest budget. The story line is great - magic power is an electric guitar, Kung-fu Deamons and the old "good vs. Evil" all make this film easy to watch. It is definitely a popcorn movie and plain fun. Don't take it too seriously and ENJOY!

Author: yoshiee from United States
31 July 2008

I can sum up the movie in a couple words. Terrible acting, sub-par fight scenes, and ridiculous cliché plot. Is this suppose to be a cross between a kung fu film and a zombie one? That is the worst idea ever.

Insulting to real martial arts films. Not even deserving of a title as a parody... it wasn't funny at all. I consider it to be more of an abomination of poop and urine. It seemed like I was watching an amateur audition tape for a low-quality zombie movie whose plot was written by a very imaginative 8 year old. It is deemed more worthy of being on YouTube than on DVD.

You're better off downloading it, or better yet, don't watch it at all. I find staring at a brick wall more exciting than this 'movie'.

D+ for effort though.

Something for everyone

Author: from United States
9 August 2007

I loved the film! It is something I can bring my kid brothers to and the best action I have seen in kids film since ninja turtles (the first one).

Great Cast- all of the actors really played their roll well. I would have liked to have seen more of bucky, because he was really funny but you will never miss it. Kelly Perine is great comic relief. He is just one funny dude.

The music is a great throw back to rockabilly era. Nice selecion very different.

Over all great family action movie. Never a dip in the action or story, no one wanted to stop and get pop corn and there was even a few moments that made us all jump. This movie needs to blow up so more people can see it. It is a fun movie.

a small film that packs a big punch

Author: mariannemu from United States
8 August 2007

I saw this movie last year and loved it. It was an unexpected mix of eastern spirituality, morality play, slapstick and love. Great family fare or for those who love the real action of martial arts that are not computer generated. The story moved along engaging your heqrt and mind while amusing. Although the majority of the cast is not widely known their talent speaks for themselves. All the technical components are there in spades. Wonderful music, lightening that enhances the martial arts and direction with a deft and knowing eye. In the end it is a simple story of good over evil but told from a unique and intriguing manner.