IMDb > Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The only review you need to read

Author: kickboxgrrl from Seattle, WA, USA
7 March 2008

I am amazed by the unbelievably DENSE comments and reviews I've read, apparently written by folks who have completely missed the point. These people did not have the courage for 90 short minutes to suspend their cynicism, disbelief, and cowardly need for proof or substantiation of every little thing. (Big ol' raspberry to them!)

A kid's movie? "Just" for children? Heck no. Rather, this movie is "just" for those, regardless of physical age, who have been fortunate enough to retain any portion of their own childlike -- notice, I did not say childISH -- appreciation and pure unclouded understanding of wonder, simplicity, love, and of magic found in the everyday.

If your heart was not touched, even in some intangible microscopic way, by this movie - are you sure you still have one?

MOMS: Great movie, but toddlers and husbands will be bored

Author: DaynaSu from New Hampshire
19 November 2007

My husband and I brought our 4 year old daughter to see this movie last night. We'd already seen (and ADORED) THE BEE MOVIE, and nothing else seemed age appropriate. Despite horrible reviews, we gave it a shot.

I loved this movie. It's not often that a kid's movie can move me to tears, but this one had a powerful (yet simple) message...LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.

My daughter was bored to the point of BEGGING us to leave. This from a kid who sees movie-going as the ultimate treat. While it was visually stimulating overall, there could have been more in the way of special effects.

Jason Bateman was surprisingly good in his role as the accounting mutant. Some of the most moving moments in the film were created by little more than the expression on his face.

Natalie Portman was radiant and lovable and...androgynous? ;) She could easily have been mistaken for a thirteen year old boy throughout most of the film, to the point where it seemed that she had her chest bound up to appear that way. But it's not about the boobies, and it's not a romantic love story, which I greatly appreciated.

No sex. No violence. No profanity. My husband hated it.

There is love...lots of love. Pure love. The kind of love you feel when you're a child, and your mind has not yet been bogged down with the soul-crushing stress of adult responsibility.

This movie is a nice kick-in-the-pants for anybody who needs to be reminded that you don't have to be a kid to see the potential in yourself and the world around you. You just have to relax a little and believe in magic.

faNtastIc on sCreen chemIstRy

Author: Mr Lambert from New Hampshire
23 September 2013

Let's get something straight. This - Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - is my realm. Some guys make movies, but not me. No! I am the one who watches. Upon recently viewing this movie upwards of 250 times in the past month, I can say this is a 100 percent perfect film that will not make you blue, but rather cheer you up even if you are cold and alone. Though I wish I could watch this with my family, I know that is unlikely even if I take full measures. Alright, let's talk about Mr. Edward Magorium. He was a good man and a good toy store owner. He didn't deserve what happened to him. He didn't deserve it at all. But I'd watch him again and tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. When you make it Edward versus Bellini, or Edward versus Molly, Edward loses! Simple as that. This is on Mr. Magorium, not Eric, not Molly. I mean really, what'd you expect me to do? Just simply roll over and not watch this on repeat? That I wouldn't take the time – extreme amounts of time – to watch this myself? Wrong! Think again.

If you don't agree with me, then I'm sorry you feel that way - but know this: If you've already read this far, I won.

Tread lightly, Mr Lambert

Really enjoyed this movie!

Author: archangel1022 from United States
17 November 2007

I took my family to watch this movie, and really enjoyed it! My three year old was captivated throughout the movie as was my 10 year old daughter. I thought Justin Bateman did a great job with his character and the Special effects were top notch. Of course the story was fantastical, but I go to see these movies to escape reality for awhile, and this is a great one to share with the family. I had read some negative reviews prior to seeing the movie, but I decided to see it for myself. After seeing the movie, I feel that some of the previous reviews I read were unfair and in some cases a little mean spirited and thus not really helpful. Lastly, while watching the movie, I noted that many people were laughing and making joyful comments at some of the details they were noticing, and, the audience applauded at the end.

An Actual Kid's Movie

Author: Spaxtersback from United States
18 November 2007

I'm not sure I've quite seen anything like it in about two decades... an actual kids movie. Not a part kids movie, part something for the adults, something for the teens. It just tries to do one thing and be what it is. There's nothing questionable about it. It doesn't try to be current or trendy, which is why this movie is bound to be timeless. The casting is perfect. It is like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory only without Roald Dahl's childhood trauma created creepiness seeping in.

The story follows a small cast characters and how their lives come together and change each other for the better. There is the owner of the shop who claims to be over 200 yrs old and owns a pet zebra. There is the young shop manager who was a music prodigy as a child but now feels she is not living up to her own potential. There is the mutant... I mean, accountant, who only see's the world as it really is. Finally there is the boy with lots of hats, but no friends. They are bound together by the shop, who is just as much a character (in every since of the word as they are.)

A delightful and gentle movie for a family outing.

Author: anniecat50 from United States
18 November 2007

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium is a delightful and gentle movie for a family outing. This probably won't win any industry awards -- except for the outstanding graphics in the credits-- but it will touch a few hearts.

Reminders of how precious and magical life is and the frequent use of up beat idioms encompass most of Dustin Hoffman's dialogue. The chemistry between the cast is engaging, so much so that all the "walk on" roles seem to interrupt the more important moments for the principal actors. The ending/beginning is a bit abrupt. The characters of Bellini, the Bookbuilder and Eric's mother make you really wonder what they add to the story because you know somewhere in the script they have to have more depth. They get lost here.

If you have even the remotest curmudgeon leanings in your personality and scoff at sentimental movies, stay away from this film. If you still love the holidays and see magic in snowfalls and sunsets, enjoy!

Magical

Author: GodsButterfly from United States
17 November 2007

I had seen a preview or two and the occasional poster for this movie, but hadn't really been dying to see it. Once I did see it, I was amazed. This is a great movie! I left the theater wanting to see it again! Not everyone will like this movie, if you're boring, only amused by perverted jokes, or forgotten what it's like to be a kid, this movie is not for you. I had a huge smile on my face for the majority of this wonderful story. It's simply innocent and good and silly. Dustin Hoffman was magical, and perfect for this role. Natalie Portman did a great job of showing her attachment to her dear friend, she didn't want him to leave, though deep down, she knew he had lived every moment to it's fullest. This was the first time I'd seen Zach Mills, he has very pleasant charicteristics to his personality and expressions. Very cute kid. I called all my friends afterwords and told them they absolutely had to see this movie. I highly recommend this movie... it made me sparkle.

NOT just for kids! I was uplifted, and found my own SPARKLE!

Author: bopdog from Was UK Now US
20 November 2007

I expected a "kid" movie. And an insipid one at that. Treacly and dumb. So why did I go? Well, I'd seen everything else, and I really like Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman. I like Jason Bateman, too. So I took a chance. And it was really GOOD! True, kids will like this movie. But the theme of belief in one's self, and "possibilities," and all that metaphysical stuff appeals to me. Granted, the story line was about a toy store, but the real story underneath that, and which came shining through the juvenile aspects, was one of TRUE magic and possibility for all of us. The cast played their parts well, and the mechanics of the movie were good--- nice colours, nice sets. The animation, or puppets, or whatever the moving toys were, was believable.

At one point, Natalie Portman asks Jason Bateman if he sees "sparkle" in her. He has to say "no." But later, after the plot unfolds, admittedly predictably, the sparkle finally shows up. It showed up in me, too! The SPARKLE was there throughout the movie.

Whether you have kids or not, if you are in the mood for something light yet meaningful, check this out. It has the wonder of a Harry Potter movie, without the vapid and stupid plot of those films. This movie is brave enough to be simple, and true enough to be.... well, true. I feel better having sen it. And that's a worthy accomplishment for ANY movie!

Finally, a film for kids

Author: intelearts from the big screen
28 December 2007

We all really enjoyed Mr Magorium.

It has a wonderful sense of magic about it and very good solid performances from the leads.

Most of all it is the Emporium, the toy store that provides much of the wonder: real care, thought, and a real sense of wonder pervade the set.

The story is lovingly done, and never too schmaltzy.

We came away talking about our favorite bits the kids remembered lots of small details: a sure sign they really did lose themselves in the movies.

Overall I would say one of the better films for kids that doesn't try to be anything other than it is: it reminded me of 1970s Disney, simple, innocent, magic.

Apparently I'm in the minority: IT WAS A WONDERFUL MOVIE

Author: onthatnote from United States
1 January 2009

I watched this with my wife and daughter. We loved it. We thought that the casting was perfect. Hoffman was perfect in the role and brought it to life. Portman was equally perfect for the role. And the kid who played Eric was wonderful. I don't understand the many negative critics of the acting. I thought that the casting couldn't have been better.

The set was incredible. As was the CGI. The Emporium was truly magical. Made you wish it actually existed.

The writing was great. Thoroughly enjoyable story, characters, and humor.

Really don't know why this movie didn't get a higher rating.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]