IMDb > The Butterfly Effect 2 (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Spoils the name.....

Author: Tudose Vlad from Romania
28 September 2006

The original Butterfly Effect had many wonderful original aspects to it. The main character's abilities were explained in a sort of way that it was slightly believable and the movie was full of twists and turns that culminated in a satisfying and realistic ending. Sadly the sequel does not feature any of the elements that made the original so brilliant. Everything has been dumbed down , gaps in the storyline are almost insulting if you're a fan of the previous film and the amount of sex infused in this movie is unjustified for this storyline , it isn't placed to create an atmosphere like in Lord of War per say , it just seems thrown in because the director was clueless. There are no moment when your skin tingles , you are spoon fed the entire story , everything is very linear in a movie where the time-lines are supposed to be altered and the ending made me feel i needed a drink.

Just watch the first movie again or search for something else , this movie is one step away from being one of Uwe Boll's, a definite pass.

No,no,no,no,NO,NO!!!

Author: addict123 from United Kingdom
6 October 2006

Did the guy that made this even watch the first one? Probably not. A load of aspects from the first one such as blackouts in their youth have been removed. Plus seeing the main character in their childhood sorta made you connect more with the character. Here you learn nothing about the bland main characters whatsoever. Erica Durance does give a good performance, but then she always does but that doesn't diminish the fact that the way the script is written we learn nothing about the main characters. It isn't even "The Butterfly Effect" its just had a few elements of it thrown in there. Take that away and you've got a bland corporate thriller with nothing worth watching at all.

Typical sequel...

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
8 September 2006

I got to watch this movie "The Butterfly Effect 2" in the theater last month. Not too much expectations, since it is a sequel and the stars are unknown. Just wanted to see how they would update the interesting concept of the first movie. Well, Eric Lively is certainly no Ashton.

Erica Durance, while beautiful, did not have much to show in terms of acting. The beginning was very slow. The first part where their relationship was established in a very prolonged manner. However, once the "butterfly effect" scenes were underway, the midportion was actually very interesting. It is just too bad that it led to a very illogical and unsatisfying ending. Certainly could have been better.

BE2, lame sequel

Author: wild_willie2 from Netherlands
1 October 2006

When I first heard of the Butterfly effect 2 movie I was immediately thrilled and captivated, remembering the first Butterfly effect movie with reverence.The non linear buildup and suspense of the first Butterfly effect movie was a refreshing novelty when first released. I expected that the second Butterfly effect movie would continue on this highly enjoyable path. I found it strange and puzzling that Butterfly effect 2 did not make it onto the big screen , but was send strait onto DVD instead?. After I saw the movie, I had to conclude that Butterfly effect 2 is not even a shadow of the original Butterfly effect movie. The story is a lame, predictable love story without suspense or thrill. Now I can understand why the second movie was demoted directly onto a DVD. The first Butterfly effect movie was a trilling , suspenseful wild water ride compared to this stagnant pool of muck....

Not like the first

Author: m-standish from United Kingdom
3 November 2006

Im guessing your looking at this based on the first which in my opinion rated a good 7-8 / 10, based on the originality, unknowns and the constant plot changes leaving you absolutely in the dark as to what was gonna happen next. This IMHO is a quite poor money making rip from the first. It follows the same plot line from the first based on time warps looking at past events but really lacks any real surprises and is kind of guessable. You pretty much need to see the first one to understand the workings behind this one completely but if you have seen the first one and found it amazing (almost donnie darko (ish)) then you will find this a very mediocre follow up. if you've not seen either i HIGHLY suggest you miss this one and watch the first. possibly stop there and don't bother watching this, it will only disappoint if you were stunned by the first. definitely not an improvement I'm sad to say after thinking the first was fantastic. Pity as i was hoping of soooo much from this film

So pathetic I couldn't watch it completely

Author: Hugo Vela (velahugo@hotmail.com) from Mexico City, Mexico
15 October 2006

Bottom line. Bad acting, bad story, bad special effects, bad audio, bad everything.

I mean, how did they dare to spoil such an incredible movie like the Butterfly Effect, with this thing? More importantly, how could the director put his name to this garbage? I just spend 20 bucks buying the DVD, cursing at myself for wasting that kind of money in this so called movie, which doesn't even deserve the title.

It was so disappointing, boring and ridiculous that I couldn't even finish watching it. I thought sleeping would be a better use of my weekend time.

And the special effects were terrible. The director couldn't even reproduce the original effect where Ashton went into his past. This time, the effect looks cheap, the sound effects are awful and all it does is ruin the great perception I had about the first movie.

Honestly, John R. Leonetti should stick to cinematography. He just doesn't quite cut it as a director, I think he knows that after seeing his terrible film.

Mr. Bress and Mr. Gruber should be very angry with the fact that he ruined their concept. Actually, they should sue him and the company that had the guts to destroy a great story, and a great film.

I hope the audience realizes this, and help The Butterfly Effect 2 become the greatest failure in movie history, for it deserves it.

Repeating unrepeatable

Author: RebelMe from Liberec, Czech Republic
15 October 2006

The reason why the first movie was very good (I would call it even brilliant) was, that for first half an hour, you didn't know what's going on here. You saw Kutcher's childhood which was from time to time affected by blackouts and you didn't know what they are for there. As this is a sequel, the tension was missing and the guy even didn't have blackouts at all. Many times during the new movie I felt like watching the first movie and that the new one just changed a few things. For example, compare the prison scene and the scene on toilets. This movie lacks strong scenes, which are replaced by sex. Again, remember the first movie - burning of a dog, dynamite in a box, visit at Lenny's room in hospital etc. Those moments were breathtaking, quick and strong. What do you have in the second one? A lot of people hate the ending of this movie, but well...how would you end it? It would be a disgrace if it was pure happy-end and also, they couldn't do partial happy-end, if they didn't want to repeat themselves again. All in all, this flick is very mediocre and the comparing to the original movie pushes it even lower. I won't say "AVOID IT!", watch it on some evening when you want to watch TV but the only thing they broadcast is Big Brother.

too short, better the original

Author: littleparis from Romania
25 September 2006

When I first heard there was to be a sequel I said super! I had such great expectations, that when I had the opportunity I dumped everything else just to go and to see it. Now that I've seen it I'm not that excited. The script was not good enough, but the actors were good, very good actually. One thing I should add is that everything happens too fast. It's like they couldn't afford enough film in order to make it at least 105-115 minutes long... the action is accelerated, some parts can not be understood (due to lack of time alloted to do so). the script has (had) potential but... Overall it was less thrilling compared to the 2004 film (Ashton Kutcher was brilliant in that one), and the ending is less like you want it to be. So I recommend to all the original(2004) which was better and had a brilliant ending.

One of the worst sequels ever made

Author: zanity from UK
24 September 2006

Many people thought the original film was brilliant, myself included. It did well at the box-office. Why, oh why did the studio decide to throw its IP straight down the drain? The franchise is the life-blood of Hollywood. The wilful trashing of a franchise is the worst possible sin.

Anyway, this new movie is a nightmare. A hack writer and a hack director simply attempt to remake the first movie, without a clue as to what made the movie tick in the first place.

So, in BE2, a young dude will do anything for the love of his girl. And has the power to change his own history, suffering the usual "monkey's paw" curse. We even have a copy of the undesired male-male sex scene.

The young dude even has the same concerned Mom, and the same 'troubled' Dad as in the first one.

Where the plot deviates, it does so by stripping out 90% of the original film's intricate plotting, leaving us with a crudely constructed parody.

BE2 adds NOTHING to the mythology, and is devoid of any good action sequences. Even as straight-to-DVD, it stinks. Please, if you like the original, forget this trash. If you need another dose of the story, watch the original with the alternate ending.

To the producers, let me say "why?". A decent script, a hungry young director, and a budget little different from this film would have given you 50 million dollars plus at the US box-office alone. Do you really have so much money that you are happy to throw it down the drain like this. It is a pity that YOUR investors were not as ruthless as the ones portrayed in your film. This might have given you the incentive to put some effort into your job.

Well it started out decently.....seemed to have potential

Author: dark_bridger from United States
10 October 2006

Watching this movie, I really liked how it began, it had quality actors, the mechanics of the movie seemed to vary from the original, giving it a bit of uniqueness. I really liked the feel the director gave this film. Watching it I thought it had a lot of potential, and could very easily have a better story than the original, but then it starts unreasonably accelerating.

The movie was 75 minutes long. It's like I saw the condensed version. Did they cut the budget on this movie during filming? I've seen episodes of Smallville with bigger budgets than what this must have cost.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]