IMDb > "Squidbillies" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Squidbillies"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Squidbillies" More at IMDbPro »

Apparently only funny if you have a sense of humor...

Author: James Parsons from United States
28 November 2006

Wow, verbusen from Kuwait needs to lighten up. With all due respect, it's an 11-minute Adult Swim cartoon. Squidbillies does not set out to make everybody in Georgia out to be backwoods hicks. It is not a social commentary, it's a comedic animated short about redneck squids. I personally think this show is hilarious, but you have to follow along with the commentary as it moves fast and the humor lies in the dialog. The very premise is absurd, but then again so are talking fast food items (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) or a superhero attorney (Harvey Birdman). These cartoons feature talented writers that offer up ridiculous plots and clever writing, meant to be laughed at and not scrutinized for their value to society.

Uncle Squidbilly!!!

Author: kim-miller from College Station, TX
12 March 2006

Someone, whose opinion I trust, told me about this show, so I made the effort to stay up late on a Sunday night to see it. I was laughing out loud watching this, right by myself! It is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Beats the heck out of the Simpsons. Well, I suppose I should say "Squidbillies is to the rural South what The Simpsons is the suburban America." The dialect and dialog are authentic -- this is no Hollywood creation. I have family that talks just like this!

The crude illustration contributes to the gritty setting and characters. I think there have only been about 6 episodes so far. I hope they're planning to produce more.

Let me just say, it was well-worth staying up late and getting to work tired on Monday morning. I just wish Adult Swim on Cartoon Network aired it earlier and more often.

Were the squidbillies a must watch???

Author: (patsycamp@hotmail.com) from United States
27 October 2005

Well, to tell the truth, I had to watch the 1st episode twice to get the full effect...but NOW, see I am hooked...This show has so much potential, man Earlie is AWESOME...I swear to God I have met these people...Anyway keep up the good work, and ppl give it a chance, I cant wait for the next episode...I know I am not the typical audience...I am a 36 year old mother of 2...and I am trying to get my son who is 18 to watch with me...I WILL GET HIM HOOKED...I GOT HIM HOOKED ON MASTER SHAKE...LOL I hope this show takes off really good and I hope you bring back Earlies girlfriend...the FAT LADY...I cant remember her name...but I can sure hear her talking about "the front BUTT"...AH MAN...that was funny as hell...

If people only knew

Author: brandondane from United States
23 May 2007

This show is great. I ran across it recently when visiting my parents in Texas. There was a late night marathon. BUT, I grew up in rural Arkansas and lived in Atlanta for a few years (sometimes spending weekends in the North Georgia Mountains). Really.

If people only knew how close to the truth this show is to the rural South, then they would be astounded. Sure, it's a tad excessive, but not too much. Take it from me-- I'm half Redneck on my Mama's side.

The "symbolism" of things throughout the South is rather amazing. I would have to assume that some or all of the creators are from somewhere in the region.

Good stuff.

This show is awesome!

Author: solidindustries from United States
30 July 2007

Why? Because it's badass is why!

But seriously it is a very fun show to watch. Especially if you live in or are from the south. it reminds you of some of the people you might see at the local walmart in Mt Airy or some other rural town. The made up words are definitely my favorite thing about the show. Words such as outstandiner, sonabitchen, and truckboattruck. The characters are very well thought out and always make you laugh.

Many people upon first watching the show are a little taken aback if you are not prepared for this type of humor. But watch it again and you will definitely be entertained.

Watch it!

another fine addition to adult swim

Author: Ryan Izaguirre from United States
29 December 2006

Squidbillies continues in the adult swim tradition of non traditional animation and manages to set itself apart from its predecessors with excellent voice acting and a unique visual presentation. At first glance the show could be described as a dadaist representation of deep southern stereotypes but its actually much more. The often bizarre episodes have a common thread of continuity involving a father being rejoined with his abandoned son and their life as a dysfunctional family unit. Younger viewers might not understand the sardonic commentary on difficult subjects such as racism, crime, alcoholism, spousal abuse, single parenting, and relationships. These same viewers will most certainly not comprehend the references to popular rock bands of yore. There is plenty of juvenile humor to keep them laughing. All in all its a refreshing and sometimes inspired take on the American experience that doesn't pull any punches and never fails to entertain.

brilliant

Author: pmason5000 from United States
28 October 2005

The pilot was the funniest 15 min. of animation I've ever seen. Sure, It's got the potential to go stale; you can only be cutting-edge for so long. But, "Squids" is the most accurate depiction of north GA poor white trash since Deliverence. The characters possess subtle nuances that maybe only natives of that region will recognize, but the context of their shenanigans should be hilarious to the general public, much like the antics presented in classic TV shows such as The Beverly Hillbillies and The Andy Griffith Show. Early's ignorance is deplorable, but deep down, anyone who slaves away as a member of the proletariat has got to applaud his Freebird-esquire bravado. Also the show's take on as evangelism, the military industrial complex, rampant consumerism and relationships are unique and refreshing, shown through the southern eyes of an unskilled, underprivileged, ignorant cephalopod.

Squidbillies bring it home

Author: rwsvham from United States
7 July 2006

Having grown up in the South, I understand this wretched show and I must admit it reminds me of Grandma and several cousins. It is brilliant.....not only WHAT they (the characters) say, but HOW they say it. It is scarily accurate.

Fire and Ice. I gotta warn ya, Fire and Ice.

I hope for more episodes. I've gotten fellow Southern coworkers watching this show and they love it as well. I believe there is a second season coming out in the fall. Yes!

I, too, am a real Pugnut. Kudos to Adult Swim for bringing it home for intellectual Southerners (yes, we do exist.) We get IT and IT is fabulous.

Hilarious!!!

Author: britegray from United States
2 November 2006

Laugh out loud funny. So different. Squidbillies is rude, crude, sometimes disturbing humor involving Squids who are hillbillies and live in a shack in the country. And all their opinions and misinformation---ignorance and chaos ensues. I like watching something that is smart in it's silly humor. Does that make sense? Unexpected, surprising, hilarious. When you watch this you know you are not watching the same old he said she said daytime blah. You are actually watching something new and creative. I can say that about a lot of cartoons on AdultSwim on Cartoon Network. Such as Venture Bros. and hopefully soon to come back Korgoth of Barbaria. Shows that I look forward to watching and hate to miss. Shows always set to record on my DVR so as not to miss.

Holee Chrome!!

Author: redbeard_nv from Boulder City
8 September 2006

It amazes me the depths and the pinnacles of creation that come from Williams Street Productions, the home-grown animation studio that feeds Cartoon Networks Adult Swim with USA based animation to balance off the ever popular Japanese Anime titles. From the freakishly crappy and boring wastes of time and gray matter such as "12 oz. Mouse" and "Perfect Hair Forever" to the witty and cutting edge creations like "Sealab 2021" and "Aqua Teen Hunger Force".

The most recent is the small select half dozen episodes of "Squidbillies", a crudely drawn, but decently animated product of the Radical Axis animation team and hysterically written and performed under the guidance of Jim Fortier and his team. Every redneck sight gag and myth is turned on it's ear with this impossible family of hick squids, from the drunken, pumpkin raping, knife-wielding Earlie Cuyler, who urinated pure Bourbon whiskey, his equally ignorant and put-upon son, Rusty, cousin Lil, complete with a nail job that resembles tap shoes to the over-sexed, dementia ridden Grannie perpetually slung from a walker. Add to that the clueless sheriff (played with great panache by legendary Russ Meyers bad guy Charles Napier), the hugely overweight siren of the hills, Krystal, a massive , immobile, mega-gulp swilling hulk of a woman who is the illegitimate mother of Rusty who so much as refuses to move an inch that she's eventually declared a historical monument as an outdoor shut-in, to the dwarfish, griffin riding, sheet rock and deadly home appliance magnate Dan Halen, who markets rust laden home surgical kits and barb wire baby hammocks, and who, when sued by the parents of an unfortunate child, sues them back for calling his creation a "baby death trap", claiming he already had a copyright on the name.

Never has there been so much buzz been produced on the web and in animation fan circles produced by these six, 15 minute episodes of sheer hysteria, if for nothing else, but to see what happens when new episodes premiere in September. I, for one, have busted a gut seeing the two coming attractions.