IMDb > "Love Monkey" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Love Monkey"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Love Monkey" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A well-thought out show with excellent acting, writing and production values.

Author: BreeInAZ from Gilbert, AZ
17 January 2006

Having seen the pilot tonight, me and my wife have added another show to our TiVo list. Love Monkey is about a mid-30s major label A&R rep who is at a crossroads in his life. Without spoiling the plot of the pilot... basically, it involves the lives of main character/narrator, Tom Farrell (Tom Cavanaugh), his sister and his best friends, male and female. Clever uses of flashbacks are used sporadically throughout the show, but not overused. The music is great and REAL, not pseudo-represented by cover bands imitating well-known artists/songs as is usually the case with most TV shows for some reason.

The outdoor city filming locations used are actually in New York, not a set or stock footage - kudos for that. Also, some interiors are real locations (not sets) as well. The show's title, which primarily refers to the main character, is somewhat revealed or explained in the pilot. Some of the plot is predictable, albeit there are a few subplot twists, but yet it is still an enjoyable show, nonetheless. It (pilot episode) revealed many different stories that will develop along the way and hinted at a few others - due to its setting and cast of supporting characters, there is much promise for good future writing.

"Love Monkey" is just a nice, feel-good TV show with a just a bit of sex, some love, friendship and a whole lotta great music. Highly recommend for adults, young and old.

Ted in Gilbert, AZ

Fight for the Monkey!!!

Author: (savelovemonkey@yahoo.com) from United States
16 February 2006

Why would CBS cancel Love Monkey so early? If you are as upset as me, LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! Send CBS a letter. Send them an e-mail. Call their office and demand an explanation! Here's their address and phone number. To write to them over the net, go to CBS.com, scroll all the way to the bottom and click "Feedback." A window will pop up for you to voice your opinion.

Ask them to give Love Monkey another chance. Whether you loved it for the characters, the plot, or the music, you can do something to change this. Make your voice heard! For more information on what you can do, e-mail me at SaveLoveMonkey@yahoo.com.

Fight for the Monkey!!!

CBS Television Network 51 West 52nd Street New York, NY 10019

Ph. number: (212) 975-432

"Love Monkey"'s A Must Love

Author: supersnoopdog08 from United States
25 January 2006

I was hooked after the pilot show, and I was hoping to not be disappointed with the second show, and I wasn't. This show is amazing, it's really hard to think of words to describe it, and I really don't think amazing cuts it. If you like music you'll like this show, two shows into its first season and I have already proclaimed it as my favorite show.

This show has heart, the music isn't cheesy as I would have expected from a television show and the characters are all different and interesting in their own ways. Wayne(Teddy Geiger)is an awesome singer, he reminds me of John Mayer, but younger.

Unfortunately, not everybody appreciates this show, according to Alessandra Stanley of the New York Times,"'Love Monkey,' in other words, is yet another attempt to create a male version of 'Sex and the City.'", this lady has a stereotypical mind which could not see something good if it poked her in the eye. After reading a couple of her articles it seems like she is obsessed with "Sex and the City", she is always comparing the shows she reviews to it and seems to have set "Sex and the City" as the top of all standards.

"Love Monkey", for lack of better words, rocks my world!!! There's nothing that I enjoy better than good music and good stories, this show is a combination of both. I really hope this show lasts and if it doesn't CBS will loose a great thing."Love Monkey"'s A Must Love, don't miss it.

complaining or just contemplating?

Author: wbdbikes from United States
23 February 2006

Why is it that a network will get rid of shows that seem to actually be funny, and can actually grow? DO they rather keep shows on like..idk crap reality that isn't even close to real reality? Flaver Flav? Surreal Life? Real World/Road Rules etc etc etc. People generally watch TV series because 1. They like the characters 2. They like the way its written 3. Like the music in the series 4. Like where and how its filmed. Love Monkey had all these and then some. What a great concept...yeah CONCEPT, a 30 something in the music business, goes indie follows indie bands, has a rough time with women, has good friends....wait..thats not real enough. Because no one in really life has good buddies, or women problems or between jobs. We all compete for money and prizes and have lines of women to pick from.(man i wish..just imagine that..prizes.) Instead lets cancel a very promising show, and air NCIS, because lord knows we don't have enough shows of a team investigating something. (I believe that there is at least 8 shows on cbs, if not more.) Just watch reruns of scooby doo, at least that is more entertaining. This show was being compared to, or at least i heard it was being compared to sex in the city. BUT they didn't cancel sex in the city after 3 or 4 episodes, granted it was on HBO. Getting back to the matter at hand, why must a network get rid of a show before it can actually grow? Networks in the past have given shows multiple chances at different time slots and, or different days. How come they didn't with Love MOnkey? Tuesday at 10pm..now there is a great time slot. Beginning of the week..at 10 at night...for a brand new show. Lets try that again...Brand new show, 10 at night, on a Tuesday. Head still hurt on that one? Did you ever see any advertising for the show? I live by the city and the only advertising I have seen for it is on the front of two buses. WHOA..thats hardcore..oh wait, I guess they are trying to push the CSI franchise..or the seinfeld spin off (note..i loved seinfeld..not spin offs, and lets face it..all shows with those characters in it or some how spin offs) After all this..all I ask is that you SAVE THE MONKEY. GO to cbs.com, scroll all the way down to feedback. And what's funny is that under prime time, Love Monkey isn't even listed so choose other and write away. thanks for reading. should i keep going?

**Don't let Love Monkey have the same fate as Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place, or Undeclared, or Freaks and Geeks, or well lets face it, there are a lot of other shows.**

Love Monkey Swings away....sadly....

Author: from United States
14 February 2006

I am very sorry to hear that Love Monkey was cancelled! Having a 19 yr. old daughter who is trying to break into the music business...I am very familiar with the light music biz plot that occurred on this show. It was funny. It was light hearted. It was not blood, guts, gore. It included MUSIC. It was NOT another REALITY show. I really enjoyed this show. What I Don't understand is why CBS didn't try MOVING the show to a different time slot instead of trashing it. It was ONLY an EIGHT episode mid-season replacement! Why not try another day and time for the final 5 episodes! At least let us that DID enjoy the show...see how it ends up. Lets face it, starting Love Monkey the same weeks after 2 hour American Idol specials...made it difficult. Too many American Idol fans don't want to change the channel at 10pm from Fox To CBS. Then, we roll into a Presidential Speech, pre-empting the show for its actual third episode. Then, we roll into the Olympics. Yikes, that is tough "competition" and bad timing for any new show, not just Love Monkey. CBS did say the show was on "hiatus", so whether that is their way of letting fans down easy...left to HOPE it might return, or really if there may be distant thoughts of placing it on another day and time slot..who knows. I really hope CBS finds a spot to finish off the last 5 episodes. Also, Teddy Geiger's Album release was to correspond to an early March episode. Why not let that happen?? Did Sony have NO say in whether this show stayed on the air or was pulled? It really was great to see a show filmed right in New York City too, and not on a Hollywood backlot. Well..I for one am really upset about the demise of Love Monkey. Tom was great, Jason was great, Teddy was great..heck..the whole cast was a well put together cast! I actually know of a couple of the extra's from the show, where it would have been their "network" Television premier..and it would have been cool to see them on the show. Oh well..guess it wasn't meant to be. I hope tho' that there may be SOME glimmer of hope that we'll see the remaining 5 episodes of Love Monkey.

Well, dammit! Another "Not Reality Show" gone!

Author: Steve Simone from Canada
11 February 2006

My wife and I enjoyed watching Love Monkey, why? because it was not just another HOKEY reality show! You want reality!! shove 8 people in a helicopter and drop them off in the mountains with video cameras, the ones that make it back with footage are the winners! Now that would be reality!! Love Monkey was a good show to just watch and let things progress! Why do people have to scrutinize the heck out of something different! Well, CBC thinks and the people with the Neilson boxes who are probably the ones that ONLY watch reality have laid the show to rest! What are those people watching then? I'd Love to know that much! Bye Love Monkey! I'll miss you!! Bring back ED? or American Dreams? or Anything with Heather Locklear in it......Dallas?

What a shame...

Author: noah_paul44 from United States
30 May 2006

What a shame it is that great shows like Love Monkey don't hit home with more people. I understand that some people may think only New Yorkers or hardcore music fans (I am one of each) would truly enjoy this show, but a certain "show about nothing" consisting of 4 friends in NYC and was somewhat yuppie-ish did pretty well for 9 years. Tom is completely believable as a somewhat high-strung, neurotic protagonist, albeit one who has great morals and is the kind of friend any guy or girl would treasure. The development of the supporting characters, particularly Shooter and Brinn, is also something rarely seen in a series. The cameos (and supporting roles) by both famous as well as up-and-coming musicians really adds value to the musical premise of the show. Because of Love Monkey, I am going to see both Tedy Geiger and Aimee Mann play this summer, one added bonus of watching this masterpiece. I am clinging to the hope that VH1 will give this show another run next year, maybe 6 or 8 episodes? Even if only 1 or 2 million watch an episode, any cable network (especially one as committed to musical knowledge and development as VH1) can justify airing a show like this. I will buy this DVD the minute it comes out and try to get as many friends as possible to realize what they missed; hopefully they and I will get another opportunity to appreciate Love Monkey again.

Even if it was a music poser, "Monkey" is a short, but sweet and rich, relationship series that could have been the next great CBS series

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
29 May 2006

Network: CBS; Genre: Drama, Comedy; Content Rating: TV-PG (some adult and sexual content, language); Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Seasons Reviewed: 1 season (3 episodes)

The real television fan is an embattled creature. Years of TV watching leaves you with one lesson: the excitement of discovering a great new show is always coupled with a growing sense of dread over the near certainty of its prompt cancellation.

"Love Monkey" ranks with the shortest of them at 3 whole episodes. In the future, real-time ratings will allow promising shows to be ripped off the air and replaced with a "CSI" rerun mid-way through their first airing. At 3 episodes we have little arc and stunted development, so we can only really determine it's potential. I'm put in the position of real television reviewers who watch the 3 episode tape they get and throw out a review that prematurely seals a show's fate.

Fortunately, "Love Monkey" is unusually well developed from the get-go. What it lacks in originality it makes up for with a strong, large, cast of characters and a nearly flawless execution. The series follows Tom Farrell (Tom Cavanaugh, "Ed"), a music snob with a pension for Top 40 and earphones embedded permanently in his ears, who vocalizes his anti-corporate, pro-artist view of music and is summarily fired by a big-time record label after an unfortunate slip-of-the-tongue about Hanson (the show is a little dated). He quickly lands at struggling independent label True Vinyl Records and with only one shot left to prove his golden ear-for-talent reputation he bets it all on a crooning John Mayer-type artist called Wayne (Teddy Geiger, singing his own real songs). Doubling as our narrator, Tom monologues about the music industry and relationships, but appears to know only about the former.

If you are now filling in your own "High Fidelity" and "Jerry Maguire" comparisons, you wouldn't be wrong. But outside of that inevitable familiarity, "Monkey" works first because Cavanaugh has enough charm and gosh-darn likability to fuel several shows and, secondly, because the entire rest of the cast is so colorful and well developed. Tom's basket-ball playing, sports-metaphor talking friends include Larenze Tate, Jason Priestly (post-"Tru Calling"), Christopher Weil ("Playmakers") and guy's-girl Judy Greer. At work, he crushes and feuds with striking Ivana Milicevic. The witty banter between the guys and a relationship story, that doesn't take the usual relationship-series, path all work to create a multi-layered and completely entertaining character dramedy.

In episode 2, Tom tries to steal a pop princess (thinly veiled for her real-world counterparts) from the corporate label that won't let her write her own music. In the 3rd episode, where we see how really great this show could have been, Nicky Katt ("Boston Public") guest stars as a pretentious independent film director who hijacks the reins of Wayne's music video.

Music snobs have already pegged "Love Monkey" for committing the ultimate sin of being un-cool. "Monkey" does have a whiff of mainstream pandering. It should be making exclusive music references for the 1% crowd, not trying to relate to Top 40 teenyboppers. "Monkey" should be too cool for the room, instead it seems to only be pretending to know about the music industry and its attempts to parallel real musicians are too transparent to be as clever. A poser.

But if you can make the leap that the musical bits are just a mechanism to explore the human relationships on the show, then it feels a little more organic. There is too much else going on here to just write this show off like the network did. Even though I largely find the network a total bore, unlike the other networks CBS has had a good reputation for supporting their shows. Now, they're on my radar. Since "Love Monkey" barely got off the runway, all we can do is judging its potential and, honestly, this show had the potential to be the best CBS series since "Everybody Loves Raymond".

Hopefully, the show will get a DVD release so I can see the remaining episodes.

* * * ½ / 4

not the same old reality show

Author: sheila-martinez-1 from United States
3 April 2006

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Love Monkey was cxld. What a great show!!!! My husband and I were so excited for a show that was NOT a reality show or another crime show. The cast was great. The chemistry between the cast members was right on. Was it the lousy timing with Bush and the Winter Olympics? I think the fans would have waited patiently. The idea of a male version of Sex and the City sounded alittle cheesy, but one time watching it, it was easy to see that it was a different concept. Yes, 4 guys that live in the city and hang out, but the storyline was unique with the indie music label and exposing us to a great new artist. It's too bad the network didn't support something different and enjoyable. The general public are sick of reality shows!

Tom & Brandy

Author: matthewrwalker from Canada
24 February 2006

Recognising that this show had some potential, was it not painfully obvious to anyone else where the relationship with Tom & Brandy was heading? The most glaring aspect is the "best friend" relationship between the two characters.

Hmmm ... let me see - Tom's best friend is very attractive, has a great personality and he can talk to her about all his life problems and relationship issues. If you try hard enough can almost predict how this relationship would evolve had the show been allowed to continue. Here's my version of how it would have progressed through season 1;

1) Tom and Brandy both get involved in different relationships and have many talks about the issues there are having with the people they are dating and about their lives in general

2) Brandy eventually gets serious with a guy, and Tom begins to act like an over-protective "big brother". Worst of all, the guy Brandy is dating has horrible taste in music, and thinks that "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is originally a Guns'N Roses song.

3)Brandy eventually has her heart broken by this guy and seeks solace in the arms of her best friend Tom, which results in a fairly awkward kiss.

4) The next time Brandy sees Tom he acts like a complete idiot, mainly because he is feeling awkward, and because the hot woman he works with at the indie record label is also in the room.

5) Feeling like a jerk, Tom shows up at Brandy's apartment the next day with a pizza and a kick ass mixed tape he made of his favorite songs, only to find her back in the arms of the guy who broke her heart recently. In reality, Brandy's ex was only coming by to pick up a few of his things and they were simply hugging goodbye, though Tom leaves before he can know this.

6) The next time Tom is out with his friends he is really drunk and is all over the hot chick from his record label, while Brandy is watching. She storms out in disgust, throwing a mixed tape she made for him in his direction.

7) Tom is later consoled by his drinking buddies, who affirm that he and Brandy were "meant to be together"

8) Tom realizes his folly, and gets a bunch of his cool musician friends to serenade Brandy outside of her window. She warms up to him, but claims that she wants to slow down because she is afraid of losing her "best friend".

9) Tom gradually gets comfortable with being Brandy's "best friend" again, and they begin to date other people. With the whole "isn't it great we are friends" tone to their conversations they begin to discuss their recent dating exploits with each other.

10) Brandy begins to get concerned when Tom starts to date a woman from a rival record label. She sees through it all, and knows this woman is just using Tom because he has "street cred" and is starting to connect with all types of cool up and coming musicians looking to get signed by a label.

11) Brandy confronts this woman while at a concert for one these artists, and they begin to yell over top the blaring music. This woman has a "so what if I am using him response" which she states loudly just as the musician up front finishes his song. Tom overhears and realizes he was hoodwinked.

12)After the concert Tom seeks comfort from Brandy and they sit and hold each other on a park bench while listening to street busker singing "You Are the Sunshine of My Life". Tom confesses to Brandy that he has always known that his other relationships are doomed, because he never has these moments like he does now with Brandy, when everything is "perfect" for that moment. He compares the feeling to the first time he heard the Beatles at age 10, and realized there was this magical world full of endless possibility.

13) On their way home they stop in front of Brandy's front steps. Brandy turns to Tom and says "I thought about what you said earlier, about those perfect moments .. and I am worried about those times when it is not perfect between us, when its not like that perfect moment in a Beatles song". Tom replies "Then we can sing the blues together, and it will be our song, our wonderful imperfect song.... and at least we can sing it together". They kiss on the front steps as the camera pans out.

Season 2 would be about their trials and tribulations as they attempt to navigate the pitfalls of modern day relationships and their own personal ambitions. At one point Tom will be on the cusp of signing a "big act" to his label, while at the same time Brandy will get an amazing job offer in Portland. Can their relationship survive?

If anyone else has their version, I would love to hear it!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]