IMDb > Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great film

Author: kokovyas-15873
29 November 2016

"Kitne aadmi the", "Mogambo Khush Hua"; these epoch - making dialogues were from different directors. But once in a lifetime, it happens that "Jaadu ki Jhappi" and "Gandhigiri" coined by the same man get popularized and that too back to back. Bravo Mr. Hirani!!!

If the faith healer worked in Munnabhai, "Gandhi" worked for Lage Raho Munnabhai. Keeping the basics i.e. comedy intact, Hirani changed everything. I think this is the beginning of the new age sequel pioneered by Hirani. It is so similar yet so different.

Witty dialogues, well written screenplay, good comic timing, and well thought about characterization. Everything is so common. The only uncommon element is the plot and the backdrop.

It's the screenplay, all the scenes just flow and are well knitted. Nothing is enforced. Our Munnabhai falls for Jhanvi, Vidya Balan who is a radio jockey. Vidya has a good screen presence and amazing dialogue delivery.

The quiz contest on Gandhi, Murli Prasad aka Munnabhai winning the contest and his eventual entrance to the Mahatma Gandhi Library, are all very situational.

Sanjay Dutt reading n number of books on Gandhiji is a bit indigestible, probably that's the reason Gandhiji comes out of the pages and that too without spectacles!!! I was kidding…ever saw Gandhiji without Spectacles? It's same as Sanjay Dutt with Books!!!

Jhanvi arranges a lecture on Gandhiji for her grandfather and his friends at their place fondly called as the second innings home. Munnabhai being the professor and Gandhiji, one man rescuer.

It was at the second innings home that their feelings get mutual. Here is the entry of the cunning Sardar Lucky Singh!!! Boss what characterization!

He looks very convincing as the greedy builder. It's him that moves the story ahead as he sends them to Goa and takes possession of the second innings home through Munnabhai's right hand Circuit.

I must say that Circuit just steals the show. He has developed himself as an actor with great coming timing. In spite of repetition of the same character, he has managed to make people roll out of their seats. It's the powerful performance of the character that makes you feel the need of a Circuit in your life!! Jimmy Shergill and Diya Mirza do justice to their respective roles.

The phone-in programme on the principles of Gandhiji is a brilliant idea, very original.

"Gandhigiri is in full swing".Gandhiji tried to be preachy but the presence of people like Circuit and Lucky Singh diluted the effect making it a film with a vision. The show leaves you with nothing but a smile on your face and the theater buzzes with Pal, Pal, Pal…Pal Har Pal…

A film of two halves

Author: Ben Franklin from United Kingdom
3 September 2015

For me the start of this movie was so cheesy I actually turned it off as after watching the first ten minutes or so I really didn't think it was something I'd enjoy. However, my wife and I decided to give it another go and we stuck with it and managed to get beyond the terrible opening and boy am I glad we did.

As the movie progresses it just seems to get better and better in every way. The story unfolds in a magnificent way, the characters become less two- dimensional, and the message of the films shines through so brightly ... well, I won't say any more as I'll leave that for you to discover.

After the first ten to fifteen minutes I would probably have given this movie 3 out of 10, but by the time the final credits rolled that had gone right up to a well earned 9 out of 10.

Superb successor

Author: silvan-desouza from India
19 August 2014

2006 was a year of sequels,starting with PHP,KRISSH both blockbusters LRMB was a sequel to Munnabhai Mbbs and a surprise blockbuster. In a way it's like a series not continued from part 1 except Munna and Circuit characters. The film which was earlier titled Munnabhai Meets Mahatma Gandhi is superb, it mixes comedy,emotions,drama all superbly. The Munna-Circuit scenes are throughly too good, Munna-Jhanvi(Vidya) romance too is good while Boman Irani's track too is well handled, At times things do get melodramatic,Also the Satyagraha track does seem a bit overdone but yet things are superbly handled, the scenes of Jimmy-Parikshit Sahni and the entire astrology part is superb. The end too is simply hilarious.

Direction is superb by Rajkumar Hirani Music is decent, yet the songs Aane Chaarane,Title song,Pal Pal all are good

Sanjay Dutt is yet again brilliant though looking out of shape, he is the only actor who can play such roles with ease. Arshad Warsi too is born to play Circuit, he is simply brilliant and in fact he is better then his previous act in Munnabhai, in fact he stands tall throughout. Vidya Balan is good, Dilip Prabavhalkar is good as Gandhi Boman Irani is superb though his role comes too close to Khosla Ka Ghosla, Khulbushan Kharbanda,Saurabh Shukla are good Jimmy Shergill is superb,Parikshit Sahni is good too Dia Mirza is superb, rest are all good

Could almost have been made in Hollywood

Author: Fredrik Josefsson from Sweden
19 August 2007

That is what I thought when watching this film. I have never watched a Bollywood film before but judging on the shorts snippets I have seen of such films, in TV-programs etc, this must be a far way from the ordinary Bollywood film. Actually I am convinced that a similar plot could easy become a successful Hollywood film. All the elements are there. There is the unhappy crook who falls in love, and to get his girl he has to pretend he is something he is not. There is the crook's comical and not to bright side-kick who supports him through thick and thin. There is the pretty and intelligent girl. And there is the ancient wisdom, here manifested in the holy Mahatma.

And then there is the typical life-changing plot. The crook tries to become a better man and at the same time succeeds in making the world a better place.

Yes I really liked it. There were a couple of musical numbers that I thought were well made and made sense. And the acting, writing and directing were all professional. Several times I laughed out loud at the comical points.

Bollywood's finest product in recent memory

Author: ImIndeed from United States
9 August 2007

Anyone familiar with Bollywood can be forgiven for reading the title of this review and not being particularly impressed - Bollywood has produced some profoundly horrible films in awe-inspiring quantities in the past.

But Lage Raho Munnabhai sets aside all of the usual complaints one has about Bollywood. Its plot is in no way ripped off of something from Hollywood - indeed, it would be hard to come up with something more uniquely Indian. The songs, while ridiculous in a way that only Bollywood can achieve, are not so far gone as to be irredeemable and are actually well integrated into the plot. Finally, while the central motivating force for the plot is a typical Bollywood impossible love, the actual theme of the film is far deeper. True, the movie carries about it a certain absurd quality in everything from dialog to editing, such does nothing to detract from the power of the message.

The plot, in short: Mumbai mobster Munna falls in love with a radio jockey, but to impress her pretends to be a professor who specializes in Mahatma Gandhi. In the process, he is forced to learn Gandhi's philosophy, causing a "chemical imbalance" in the form of Mahatma Gandhi's ghost who compels him to solve his problems with peace and truth.

Though the main factor of this movie is comedy, at which it succeeds quite well (Circuit is far better characterized and thus far more lovable than in Munnabhai, M.B.B.S.), what I took away was a shaking awe of this man we call Mahatma. Though its exposition of his philosophy is a bit more modern/ridiculous than what the Mahatma practiced, it nonetheless accurately conveys the sheer courage of satyagraha. A mobster, someone accustomed to killing and being killed, is forced to acknowledge that real courage comes in taking a blow rather than fighting back. The movie's implication is that our modern society believes only the insane would follow in the path of Gandhi, yet watching it makes one wish more of our leaders today had "chemical imbalances."

Bache raho munna bhai

Author: HeadleyLamarr from United States
7 August 2007

I thought that now that Sanju Baba has been convicted I need to prod myself to write a comment on this film. I hated Munna Bhai MBBS so I was resisting this one for the longest time. But the actual viewing turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I actually liked the film. It was repetitive and not very funny but it had its moments and it did achieve some of what it set out to do - bring front and center the fact that we live by completely different rules these days and wouldn't it be nice to change that. Sanju Baba was quite good as Munna Bhai, Boman Irani was awesome as his boss, Vidya Balan was adequate as the DJ, the entire assemblage at second innings house was great, but the show-stopper no doubt was Arshad Warsi as Circuit. The man is awesomely talented and made Munna Bhai a decent and watchable film.

If you believe in Gandhian philosophy you might get upset at this new version called Gandhigiri. If the message is to twist Gandhian ideals into a new more menacing avatar then that is a scary thought. But if the film is really just poking fun and not trying to be very serious then you can chill and watch it without too much trouble. The thing is, I am not sure what the film is trying to do. However, it does bring back into notice the Mahatma and his life - so it does achieve some useful purpose. Afterall - Bande me thaa Dumm, Bande Mataram.

Lage Raho indeed! Aptly named!

Author: karthik-globalsoul from India
22 May 2007

Easily the most loved "dynamic duo" in today's cinema world, Munna Bhai and his sidekick, Circuit are back! And this time, they come together in the sequel of the fame hit to Munna Bhai MBBS is Lage Raho Munna Bhai.

It's a normal day for this happy go lucky duo. The love interest this time is Vidya Balan as a Radio Jockey. The radio jockey idea seems obvious with the hit of Priety Zinta as the RJ in Salaam Namaste, and also keeping in touch with the recent trend of radio coming into vogue again, this time with a bang.

The basic idea behind Munna Bhai is the same, mistaken identity and doing crazy things to keep the girl interested in him… this time, however, Munna does not go to college as a student (thank god). Jahnvi (Vidya Balan) mistakes Munna for a history professor! The Movie carries on where it left, lots of fun, extremely witty and not to forget – humor with a message - with Jahnvi testing Munna's "historical interests".

This is not just another movie in the park - I don't want to spoil the surprise, but, here is a spoiler: Gandhi playing a "role" in the movie, there are some interesting moments.

With a twist in the run of events, the movie proves how contemporary the Gandhian values are.

The Songs are not what you might call chart busters, with Kabhi Alvida na Kehna topping every music channel in sight, but songs are a luxury anyway in this wonderful movie.

Investing money in watching this movie will pay you rich dividends – laughter, fun and extreme satisfaction! There are apprehensions over the prices of cinema tickets, but this movie makes you sigh and gives you value for money From student to teacher, Munna has most definitely graduated and come of age! Arshard Warsi is too good once again… They say sequels are not so successful as the first movie, but this movie shall be the path breaking movie breaking that theory! Lage Raho indeed! Aptly named!

Best comedy movie I have ever seen.

Author: ppatil007-1 from United States
9 May 2007

It's a perfect bled of all important ingredients of a fabulous movie.

If you don't rate this movie 9 + the some wrong with your sense of humor! Any age group it's a must watch.

It's also got a great message, which has faded in time. It makes you think yet does not stress you. Depicts some important aspects in life in a jovial way. Sunjay Dutt and Arshad Warasi have done a great job again proving the 2nd squeal can be better than the first one. The humor is great and it appears natural on screen unlike other comedy movies where in comedy is drilled in.

Thanks to Vidhu Vinod Chopra and Rajkumar Hirani for making a film that is more than just a rip-roaring comedy. It makes you laugh, makes you cry and make you think .

Practical gandhigiri

Author: itssaurabh100 from India
28 April 2007

Lage raho munnabhai.....what to say about this movie.I think this is the most positive & optimistic movie ever made in Indian cinema.Its not a movie showing life of Gandhi and his principles but tells you how these principles can be practically implemented to solve some very common problems like corruption.......using gandhigiri.

This movie is a good blend of comedy,emotions and of course gandhigiri.Everybody has done good acting especially Arshad Warsi.I am sure after watching you will never forget this movie.If faced by situations shown in the movie,in real life, you will always be guided by their solutions as shown.

So do not just watch this movie for entertainment but also try to take the message it gives.............

Entertaining and Fun

Author: Norman Cook from Orange County, California
14 March 2007

This is the first Bollywood film I have seen, and I enjoyed it very much. The story was funny, romantic, and even contained a strong moral lesson. The actors all seemed to do a good job -- it is harder to judge with a subtitled film. The songs were generally well done and not too intrusive. The cinematography, costumes, and set design enhanced the film -- and made me want to visit India some day. About the only suggestion for improvement would be to shorten it a bit -- this was at least 30 minutes too long for a comedy/musical, in my opinion. One technical gripe about the DVD: the commercials at the beginning were too long and unable to skip.

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]